Author Topic: What specific rights and freedoms have you lost since 9/11? posted by PIP  (Read 11117 times)

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
Re: Boston Marathon twin bombings
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2013, 05:46:36 PM »
You mean other than what I've already said?

Sincerely,

Beach Bum

Why can't you give a straight answer?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Boston Marathon twin bombings
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »
Why can't you give a straight answer?

Why do you always answer a question with a question?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
So you'd mislead people who would otherwise trust what you communicate.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
So you'd mislead people who would otherwise trust what you communicate.

Do you think answering a question with a question is really an answer?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
Do you think answering a question with a question is really an answer?

I think you were caught making misleading statements, and now you're trying to bury it.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
I agree it's an infringement on our privacy, although it was been around for a long time.  Anytime the government gets copies of e-mail, phone records, enters someone's home, etc., it is an infringement on our privacy, with or without a warrant.  But those are some of the concessions we have made for about 200 years.   

I agree about flying.  That's a privilege, not a right.  I don't like having to take off my shoes, belt, and watch, and I hate the scanners, but that is really the only thing that has changed for me since 9/11 in terms of loss of "rights."   

Yeah, but those hit individuals.  People they go to a judge and say look this guy did this, that, talked with known gangster Joe Pesci, and so we need a tap on his phone.  The NSLs scoop everyone.  And I don't think the gag and lack of judicial review will stand in court in the long run.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I think you were caught making misleading statements, and now you're trying to bury it.

Drats.  Foiled again.  Trying to bury statements by posting them on the internet.  When will I ever learn?   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Yeah, but those hit individuals.  People they go to a judge and say look this guy did this, that, talked with known gangster Joe Pesci, and so we need a tap on his phone.  The NSLs scoop everyone.  And I don't think the gag and lack of judicial review will stand in court in the long run.

Everyone?  Sounds a little broad.  I don't think they can just throw out a net over an entire city.  Or can they? 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Everyone?  Sounds a little broad.  I don't think they can just throw out a net over an entire city.  Or can they? 

No, my bad.  I meant everyone that falls within their search parameters.  So if the request to Google is anybody searching for 'bomb' on 05-28-16, even innocent people get picked up.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
Drats.  Foiled again.  Trying to bury statements by posting them on the internet.  When will I ever learn?   :)

So you have a habit of making wildly misleading statements.  Could be worse, I suppose.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

No, my bad.  I meant everyone that falls within their search parameters.  So if the request to Google is anybody searching for 'bomb' on 05-28-16, even innocent people get picked up.

Ah so.  Understood.  I guess the question then becomes should we allow that to happen?  Sort of difficult to draw the line given the world we live in.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Give Hugo some credit, He's been pretty consistant on this. We gave up to much with the Patriot act. I don't think it was abused under Bush but Repubs shouldn't be into limiting freedoms while the Dems haven't met a regulation or rule to limit they have'nt loved. Thank god they blew the latest attack on the 2nd Amendment.
L

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Give Hugo some credit, He's been pretty consistant on this. We gave up to much with the Patriot act. I don't think it was abused under Bush but Repubs shouldn't be into limiting freedoms while the Dems haven't met a regulation or rule to limit they have'nt loved. Thank god they blew the latest attack on the 2nd Amendment.

Good post bro, couldn't agree more!

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
bump

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
BTW, yes, big props to Hugo Chavez.  Excellent, excellent poster.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
...and so there's no confusion about the subject, the ship has sailed when it comes to killing Americans with drones.  The idea most recently in question was whether it could be taken as far as killing Americans on U.S. ground.  The answer has turned out to be yes.  So let's get that straight, right now.

bighead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
BTW, yes, big props to Hugo Chavez.  Excellent, excellent poster.
x2

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot

Yes... He, 3333386, and myself have been saying this since day 1.

Nice to get you onboard, headhunter.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
Don't kid yourselves.  From what it seems, all but two people on this board fully oppose the Patriot Act and its abuses.  The only divide is between those who would take as coincidental the abusers and the origination of the Act, and those who would draw a causal connection.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
...and so there's no confusion about the subject, the ship has sailed when it comes to killing Americans with drones.  The idea most recently in question was whether it could be taken as far as killing Americans on U.S. ground.  The answer has turned out to be yes.  So let's get that straight, right now.

If anyone wants to continue fighting it out on this front, or on the front of private communication (or any other front on the subject)...I'll oblige, and will be looking out for it in the future.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Ah so.  Understood.  I guess the question then becomes should we allow that to happen?  Sort of difficult to draw the line given the world we live in.

That's why I think it's important to know the reasoning and purpose of these things.  Sure, we can be completely free 100% frm any infringement of rights, that's all good until bombs start gong off at local farmers markets....at the same time, to be really secure it might mean total police state.  

So where is the a line??  

Where should it be?