Author Topic: Congrats to OneMoreRep for becoming a mod  (Read 14325 times)

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Getbig IV
Re: Congrats to OneMoreRep for becoming a mod
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »
While I have you on the phone, what did you think of the Henderson/Melendez fight?

Also, when will the Diaz brothers start to put their hands up and provide true striking defense (only so many blows to the head before anyone goes down)?
"1"

I'm a big Henderson fan but thought that was a very tough fight to score.  Wasn't surprised that it was a split decision.

As for the Diaz brothers......their style is kinda entertaining but yes... hands down defense will eventually get you knocked down and out.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »
I'm a big Henderson fan but thought that was a very tough fight to score.  Wasn't surprised that it was a split decision.

As for the Diaz brothers......their style is kinda entertaining but yes... hands down defense will eventually get you knocked down and out.

diaz took that first head kick flush and just ignored it

i admire their toughness but people are starting to beat them with simple tag and move tactics
T

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2013, 11:01:01 AM »
I'm a big Henderson fan but thought that was a very tough fight to score.  Wasn't surprised that it was a split decision.

I honestly felt it was a tie. If not for the strike calculator, pointing out that Henderson landed more strikes than Melendez, I would have scored it a tie and pumped up a rematch (which would have been financially smarter for the UFC, although Dana might still do that).

I do want to see Josh Thompson against Henderson. I find that their styles are similar (Josh having a killer kickboxing arsenal and decent hands), with the exception of Josh being a BJJ blackbelt.

Regarding the Diaz brothers, if only they would approach their fights with a slightly smarter defense, they could dominate, but if they keep up with their hands-down approach to striking, guys like Thompson and Henderson will just continue to knock them out by way of leg strikes alone.

There is a new crop of complete fighters today that rely on more than just a few scattered skill-sets within individual disciplines. If the older crop doesn't assimilate properly and learn to compensate, they will be edged out.

If you look at the current top fighters in the UFC (Anderson Silva, Jon Jones & GSP), they all share that basic element, which is that they bring a full gamut of skills to the octagon and never simply rely on being a one-trick pony in order to pull out a win.

"1"

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2013, 11:01:15 AM »
I'm stunned!!!  OMR  finally made it big  :o  ,. congratulations my friend and I hope you don't forget your old mates.

Those don't look like manly man drinks  ;D
:

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »
Those don't look like manly man drinks  ;D

Most of those hands aren't manly, but there's nothing not manly about some champagne.

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2013, 12:54:25 PM »
Congrat's on the promotion. You seem like a cool gay fella and your posts are solid.
#

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »
Congrat's on the promotion. You seem like a cool gay fella and your posts are solid.

Thank you Big N. I try to not take myself too seriously..

"1"

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2013, 12:59:20 PM »
Thank you Big N. I try to not take myself too seriously..

"1"

If there was EVER a more suitable poster to corral and pen in the mltitude of freaks psychos crazies and nuts on this site - its you bro!!!

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »
If there was EVER a more suitable poster to corral and pen in the mltitude of freaks psychos crazies and nuts on this site - its you bro!!!

Thank you!

What did you think of the fights last night?

"1"

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
Thank you!

What did you think of the fights last night?

"1"

Didnt watch.   Went to hockey game, was blasted on vodka, fell aleep. 

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »
A day in the life of a Getbigger.  ;D

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2013, 01:36:58 PM »

Ata-boy!

"1"

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »
Ata-boy!

"1"
What are your opinions of Mir One? He is my favorite fighter, yet he disappoints me greatly. Just when you think he is washed up, he wins 3 fights in a row and gets back into contention. Other times it looks like he is there just for the paycheck. Did you see the devastating kicks he had against Cormier? He was sending him across the ring with those kicks. Why the hell didn't he try one submission? I think he is a fall guy for the UFC.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »
What are your opinions of Mir One? He is my favorite fighter, yet he disappoints me greatly. Just when you think he is washed up, he wins 3 fights in a row and gets back into contention. Other times it looks like he is there just for the paycheck. Did you see the devastating kicks he had against Cormier? He was sending him across the ring with those kicks. Why the hell didn't he try one submission? I think he is a fall guy for the UFC.

Frank Mir is deadly when it comes to Brazilian Jiujitsu and no-gi grappling in general. Unfortunately, he is NOT a talented striker. His overall conditioning is also not that great.

Cormier is an Olympic-style wrestler and a handful due to his build and extreme stamina/energy. He is also deadly within the clinch and has heavy hands that can deliver a solid knockout if not careful. For a stocky guy, he moves incredibly well.

What went wrong yesterday is that Frank decided to not follow his camp's game plan. Frank has never had solid hands to trade with a decent striker. Frank is a masterful JiuJitsu practitioner and, due to which, should stay the vast majority of his time (as in 90%) on the ground. Instead, he decided to play Cormier's game, which consists of solid strikes and high-knees within the clinch and ended up on the losing end.

If Frank would have kept a solid distance from Cormier while exchanging strikes and IF he would have actually spent any time on the ground, he could have possibly won the fight, but Frank is much too stubborn and instead got sucked into exactly what Cormier wanted.

The problem I see now is that Dana White will soon have an extremely talented stable of heavyweights and once the numbers are just about right, they will probably release Mir from the UFC roster.

He falls under the Josh Barnett category in that he has a great history within the sport and is a good fighter, but is not the type of talent Dana probably needs to bring in big numbers or main events.

"1"

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2013, 02:41:27 PM »
OneMoreRep do you have a sherdog account?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #215 on: April 21, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »
Frank Mir is deadly when it comes to Brazilian Jiujitsu and no-gi grappling in general. Unfortunately, he is NOT a talented striker. His overall conditioning is also not that great.

Cormier is an Olympic-style wrestler and a handful due to his build and extreme stamina/energy. He is also deadly within the clinch and has heavy hands that can deliver a solid knockout if not careful. For a stocky guy, he moves incredible well.

What went wrong yesterday is that Frank decided to not follow his camp's game plan. Frank has never had solid hands to trade with a decent striker. Frank is a masterful JiuJitsu practitioner and, due to which, should stay the vast majority of his time (as in 90%) on the ground. Instead, he decided to play Cormier's game, which consists of solid strikes and high-knees within the clinch and ended up on the losing end.

If Frank would have kept a solid distance from Cormier while exchanging strikes and IF he would have actually spent any time on the ground, he could have possibly won the fight, but Frank is much too stubborn and instead got sucked into exactly what Cormier wanted.

The problem I see now is that Dana White will soon have an extremely talented stable of heavyweights and once the numbers are just about right, they will probably release Mir from the UFC roster.

He falls under the Josh Barnett category in that he has a great history within the sport and is a good fighter, but is not the type of talent Dana probably needs to bring in big numbers or main events.

"1"
I disagree to a point. He lit up both Big Nog(first fight) and Kongo on the feet. Both are considered above average strikers. He also manhandled Big Country. He is an enigma for sure.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #216 on: April 21, 2013, 02:44:08 PM »
OneMoreRep do you have a sherdog account?

No. I only post on this forum when it comes to anything related to MMA or bodybuilding.

On occasions, I do use Sherdog's fighter stats to evaluate a fighter's history in order to give better fight predictions and or make solid bets.

"1"

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2013, 02:44:39 PM »
I disagree to a point. he lit up both Big Nog(first fight) and Kongo on the feet. Both are considered above average strikers. He also manhandled Big Country. He is an enigma for sure.
his gas tank sucks

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2013, 02:46:32 PM »
his gas tank sucks
I agree with that 1000%. Dude doesn't want it bad enough.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: April 21, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »
I disagree to a point. he lit up both Big Nog(first fight) and Kongo on the feet. Both are considered above average strikers. He also manhandled Big Country. He is an enigma for sure.

I think Nogueira is a master at BJJ and a pretty good striker. Frank's recent big win versus Nogueira came from that devastating Kimura in the first round, a kimura being a tool from Frank's BJJ arsenal. While Big Nog is a great fighter, he is getting old and isn't the fighter he was 10-15 years ago.

Kongo seems like a very nice guy in general, but I think he is seen by most as largely mediocre. His best win was against crocop, BUT that wasn't the crocop from pride (no steroids, a new octagon to get accustomed to and a very tame Crocop). Word on the street is that after the big country fight, he is done or at least looking at other fight franchises (maybe Japan and/or Bellator).

"1"

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #220 on: April 21, 2013, 02:55:38 PM »

Cormier is an Olympic-style wrestler and a handful due to his build and extreme stamina/energy. He is also deadly within the clinch and has heavy hands that can deliver a solid knockout if not careful. For a stocky guy, he moves incredible well.

"1"
I like your commentary.  Mir did surprise us with his (striking?) knock down/submission win over Kongo.

Cormier shocked us all with his ass-whipping on Barnett.

I think Josh Barnett against Mir would be a great decider on the gate-keeper in the heavyweights.  I like Cormier...but I think he'd do better at 205 pounds.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #221 on: April 21, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »
I think Nogueira is a master at BJJ and a pretty good striker. Frank's recent big win versus Nogueira came from that devastating Kimura in the first round, a kimura being a tool from Frank's BJJ arsenal. While Big Nog is a great fighter, he is getting old and isn't the fighter he was 10-15 years ago.

Kongo seems like a very nice guy in general, but I think he is seen by most as largely mediocre. His best win was against crocop, BUT that wasn't the crocop from pride (no steroids, a new octagon to get accustomed to and a very tame Crocop). Word on the street is that after the big country fight, he is done or at least looking at other fight franchises (maybe Japan and/or Bellator).

"1"
Mir has all of the talent in the world, yet usually buckles under pressure. A confident Mir would beat a guy like Brock Lesnar everytime. Mir gets sucked into the hype of the "other guy". Mir could have easily beat a guy like Carwin, if he took him to the ground. Mir is obviously not a good gameplanner.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #222 on: April 21, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »
I like your commentary.  Mir did surprise us with his (striking?) knock down/submission win over Kongo.

I think Josh Barnett against Mir would be a great decider on the gate-keeper in the heavyweights.  I like Cormier...but I think he'd do better at 205 pounds.
Agreed. I want to see Barnett vs. Mir. Also Cormier didn't impress me last night.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #223 on: April 21, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »
Mir has all of the talent in the world, yet usually buckles under pressure. A confident Mir would beat a guy like Brock Lesnar everytime. Mir gets sucked into the hype of the "other guy". Mir could have easily beat a guy like Carwin, if he took him to the ground. Mir is obviously not a good gameplanner.

I think Brock Lesnar sucks.

I also believe strongly that Brock Lesnar was a gimmick employed by Dana White to bring in numbers by way of stealing from the WWe fanbase that would have ultimately followed Brock over.

The moment you put Brock Lesnar in the ring with talented heavyweights is the moment he buckles. Couture has said a few times that his loss to Lesnar came by way of his inability to handle such a large competitor. Couture should have never gone up from light heavyweight to heavyweight, it was just not in his best interest.

Shame on Shane Carwin for falling for a triangle from a damn actor.

"1"

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: April 21, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »

I wouldn't mind seeing a fight between Barnett and Mir. I think that could be a good fight, although I'd probably give it to Barnett at the end.

"1"