Author Topic: CISPATRIOT Act passes  (Read 3800 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
CISPATRIOT Act passes
« on: April 19, 2013, 04:11:50 AM »
Cispatriot Act: USA House of Reps pass CISPA cyber security bill citing marathon explosion as the reason

w

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: CISPATRIOT Act passes
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:22:48 AM »
Well, I called this one right off the bat. Didn't think they were going to be so quick and shameless about it though.

They've been trying to get this thing passed for a looonnnngg time in various different interations. Never let a crisis go to waste.

Fucking scumbags.

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:13:21 AM »
Way to use a tragedy to further an agenda, classless.......

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:51:33 AM »
This is were the Senate can win some respect and do their fucking jobs.

If that fails then Obama can veto it as he said he might.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 07:39:55 AM »
Yeah, let's by all means rush this through, because it's not like it's part of the overall terrorist strategy to make us afraid to live our lives or anything like that.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 08:59:40 AM »
What's in this CIS Patriot act?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:36:25 AM »
What's in this CIS Patriot act?

Among other things it allows the govt. to to attain private/confidential information about anyone working in private industry....any information. And without you knowing it's happening so you don't even have the right to defend yourself or fight back. So those confidentiality agreements that are signed by employee's really are meaningless if this is signed into law.

No warrant needed, no justification needed no nothin'.

Another enlargement of the Security State.

Drones up next.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 11:52:02 AM »
Among other things it allows the govt. to to attain private/confidential information about anyone working in private industry....any information. And without you knowing it's happening so you don't even have the right to defend yourself or fight back. So those confidentiality agreements that are signed by employee's really are meaningless if this is signed into law.

Drones up next.

I don't think i like that.  i wonder why someone feels that's needed in preventing terrorism. I'd like to hear the counter argument to it.  What does this do to help them prevent terrorism?  hwat can poentitally be in a personal file at a employer that can help them fight terrorism?

I read some of the CIS stuff.  But it was just a few page summary.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 01:02:43 PM »
I don't think i like that.  i wonder why someone feels that's needed in preventing terrorism. I'd like to hear the counter argument to it.  What does this do to help them prevent terrorism?  hwat can poentitally be in a personal file at a employer that can help them fight terrorism?

I read some of the CIS stuff.  But it was just a few page summary.

It's not really about preventing terrorism. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 01:08:13 PM »
It's not really about preventing terrorism. 

What do you think its "really" about and why?

Have you heard/read the counter argument to it?  Have you heard/read the reasoning?  If so what is it?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 01:12:17 PM »
What do you think its "really" about and why?

Have you heard/read the counter argument to it?  Have you heard/read the reasoning?  If so what is it?

Just like the patriot act, it's about control

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »
Just like the patriot act, it's about control

That's speculation..  What is your speculation based on?

So I take it you haven't really researched the motivations/reasoning for the patriot act and have assumed that's what it's all about?

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 08:43:59 AM »
That's speculation..  What is your speculation based on?

So I take it you haven't really researched the motivations/reasoning for the patriot act and have assumed that's what it's all about?

How's that speculation?  In fact, it's the fundamental underpinning of every law.

Lot's of big business support, and just IMO, I think it's because they can give Uncle Sam info and not have to worry about sued because this act will exempt them from it.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 09:13:39 AM »

How's that speculation?  In fact, it's the fundamental underpinning of every law.

Lot's of big business support, and just IMO, I think it's because they can give Uncle Sam info and not have to worry about sued because this act will exempt them from it.

Thanks.

But what is the motivation of the government wanting this?  What is their justification for wanting this info?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »
I would ask anyone to consider the all-encompassing difference between being aware, and being unaware.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 10:01:46 AM »
Thanks.

But what is the motivation of the government wanting this?  What is their justification for wanting this info?

Presumably for National Security...as in companies helping to alert them to threats beforehand.

IMO, it's bought and paid for anyway - indicative of what Whorewell was talking about in trying to ban lobbying.  I can't offer you hard proof, but in my schooling and experience, whenever they pretty much clamp committee debate it's usually indicative that they have their minds made up and further discussion would be pointless.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 06:23:16 AM »

Presumably for National Security...as in companies helping to alert them to threats beforehand.

IMO, it's bought and paid for anyway - indicative of what Whorewell was talking about in trying to ban lobbying.  I can't offer you hard proof, but in my schooling and experience, whenever they pretty much clamp committee debate it's usually indicative that they have their minds made up and further discussion would be pointless.

I don't see how.  That's what I would like to know.  What could be in an employee file that could help that they wouldnt or shouldn't already know.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 05:04:43 PM »
I don't see how.  That's what I would like to know.  What could be in an employee file that could help that they wouldnt or shouldn't already know.

I'm not sure what you mean.  CISPA would be for sharing info like say Facebook is attacked by Chinese hackers.  So, then facebook wants to give Uncle Sam data on the attack.  Now...how much and what type of data should facebook give about your account which happens to be one of the ones attacked?

Personally identifiable info?  Questionable pictures?  Personally Identifiable info?  The vaguer the law, the more info they can pass and not worry about reprisal from the consumer.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 07:03:53 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean.  CISPA would be for sharing info like say Facebook is attacked by Chinese hackers.  So, then facebook wants to give Uncle Sam data on the attack.  Now...how much and what type of data should facebook give about your account which happens to be one of the ones attacked?

Personally identifiable info?  Questionable pictures?  Personally Identifiable info?  The vaguer the law, the more info they can pass and not worry about reprisal from the consumer.

If that  happens shouldn't they just get a warrant and go to Facebook?  That's why I don't understand the need for it. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »
If that  happens shouldn't they just get a warrant and go to Facebook?  That's why I don't understand the need for it. 

I can't really can't tell if you're serious or just trolling.

If you're a government stooge what would you rather - Sit back and let Google send you all the information you need...maybe even some you don't as they think you might and everybody is immune.  Or swear out a warrant before a judge, specifying the exact parameters needed, and then making sure you don't go beyond the color of law and get nailed for violating privacy with Google in a law suit?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 05:59:18 PM »
They don't believe in warrants, OzmO.  That's the problem.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »

I can't really can't tell if you're serious or just trolling.

If you're a government stooge what would you rather - Sit back and let Google send you all the information you need...maybe even some you don't as they think you might and everybody is immune.  Or swear out a warrant before a judge, specifying the exact parameters needed, and then making sure you don't go beyond the color of law and get nailed for violating privacy with Google in a law suit?

Skip I am not trying to troll.  I am telling you I disagree with this and am wondering what the reasoning is behind making laws like this and how it benefits the fight against terrorism.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 08:17:12 PM »
Skip I am not trying to troll.  I am telling you I disagree with this and am wondering what the reasoning is behind making laws like this and how it benefits the fight against terrorism.

Welcome to the Club.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »

Drones up next.

Which part does this?  I scrolled through the Act (didn't read all of it).  Not really clear to me that it gives the government that kind of access.  http://intelligence.house.gov/bill/cyber-intelligence-sharing-and-protection-act-2013

Also, regardless of where people stand on this Act, they need to understand how serious cyber terrorism can be.  Anything that can shut down computer systems, electricity, power, etc. can be almost as effective as bombing.  If you're ever in DC go to the International Spy Museum and check out the cyber terrorism exhibit, which shows what can happen.  Scary stuff. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 07:43:41 PM »