Author Topic: Shorter Lindsey Graham: Constitution? What Constitution?  (Read 310 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Shorter Lindsey Graham: Constitution? What Constitution?
« on: April 19, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/04/shorter-lindsey-graham-constitution-what-constitution/275157/

The South Carolina senator wants Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, an American citizen, to be held as an enemy combatant.
David A. Graham Apr 19 2013, 4:53 PM ET

Lindsey Graham        ✔ @GrahamBlog

If captured, I hope Administration will at least consider holding the Boston suspect as enemy combatant for intelligence gathering purposes.

Lindsey Graham        ✔ @GrahamBlog

The last thing we may want to do is read Boston suspect Miranda Rights telling him to "remain silent."
4:40 PM - 19 Apr 2013

This is pretty breathtaking. Graham (no relation) is suggesting that an American citizen, captured on American soil, should be deprived of basic constitutional rights.

Keep in mind that Graham isn't just an angry citizen; he's not even just a U.S. senator. He is also a trained lawyer, a colonel in Air Force Reserve, and a member of the Judge Advocate General's Corps, the legal arm of the Air Force.

In fairness, the senator is consistent. "It has been the law of the United States for decades that an American citizen on our soil who collaborates with the enemy has committed an act of war and will be held under the law of war, not domestic criminal law," he said in 2011. But that was in the context of Americans collaborating with al-Qaeda, a link that hasn't been drawn here. Graham also lamented to the Washington Post's Jennifer Rubin that there wasn't a drone tracking the suspect.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Shorter Lindsey Graham: Constitution? What Constitution?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 07:43:07 PM »
BannedInBoston
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
2198 Fans
39 seconds ago (10:41 PM)
Lindsey Graham should be held as an enemy combatant....

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:44:01 PM »
I guess they did this to the Germans they captured during ww2
L

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:54:39 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/04/shorter-lindsey-graham-constitution-what-constitution/275157/

The South Carolina senator wants Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, an American citizen, to be held as an enemy combatant.
David A. Graham Apr 19 2013, 4:53 PM ET

This is pretty breathtaking. Graham (no relation) is suggesting that an American citizen, captured on American soil, should be deprived of basic constitutional rights.

Keep in mind that Graham isn't just an angry citizen; he's not even just a U.S. senator. He is also a trained lawyer, a colonel in Air Force Reserve, and a member of the Judge Advocate General's Corps, the legal arm of the Air Force.

In fairness, the senator is consistent. "It has been the law of the United States for decades that an American citizen on our soil who collaborates with the enemy has committed an act of war and will be held under the law of war, not domestic criminal law," he said in 2011. But that was in the context of Americans collaborating with al-Qaeda, a link that hasn't been drawn here. Graham also lamented to the Washington Post's Jennifer Rubin that there wasn't a drone tracking the suspect.

The suspect has NO BASIC CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!!

NO American has "Constitutional Rights"

It is the Government that has "Constitutional Restrictions"

The Constitution doesn't stipulate what rights an individual has, ...it stipulates what the government is restricted from doing.
w

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:46:03 PM »
The suspect has NO BASIC CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!!

NO American has "Constitutional Rights"

It is the Government that has "Constitutional Restrictions"

The Constitution doesn't stipulate what rights an individual has, ...it stipulates what the government is restricted from doing.

Sometimes I wish our constitution would stipulate you would be restricted from talking about things you do not need to be involved with.

You don't like the US, stop trying to sell their people your bullshit.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 02:06:24 AM »
Sometimes I wish our constitution would stipulate you would be restricted from talking about things you do not need to be involved with.

You don't like the US, stop trying to sell their people your bullshit.

It is not true that I do not like the USA. ON the contrary.
not trying to sell Americans on bullshit, just stipulating what I believe to be true.

I'm off for the weekend.  Good Luck to you all.
w

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 09:13:50 AM »
It is not true that I do not like the USA. ON the contrary.
not trying to sell Americans on bullshit, just stipulating what I believe to be true.

I'm off for the weekend.  Good Luck to you all.

Like most people, you think the US sucks except for our money.