Author Topic: Kristal Martin on "fitness celebrities" and the "industry"  (Read 6457 times)

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Kristal Martin on "fitness celebrities" and the "industry"
« on: April 22, 2013, 09:15:53 AM »

Kristal Martin's thoughts on some of the people in our industry.

WARNING: Epic RANT about to commence...please read...

I am part of an industry that...at times...I am genuinely EMBARRASSED to be a part of. I know this may sound harsh, but just hear me out. I love to help people, inspire people, motivate people and make them laugh. I genuinely want to empower others and infect them with my energy and love for life. With that being said, I am absolutely torn by HOW to do that when applying it towards fitness.

Fitness is my passion but it is not what defines me. The industry is something I am a part of, but I am not "industry". There is WAY more to me than my appearance, my diet, my workouts, my competitions, etc.

The question is, how the hell do I motivate/inspire others in the gym...without coming across like an arrogant, self-centered and narcissistic asshole? I constantly strive towards making people laugh and trying to keep it "REAL", but in doing so I find myself almost RESENTING the fitness world and all of the bullshit I see out there (especially on social media). The self-absorbed and superficial attitude of the industry frustrates me to the point where I don't even want to acknowledge my role in it. I go out of my way to NOT discuss anything health/fitness related because I don't want to risk sounding like a complete douchebag. I make it a point to NOT post progress pictures which COULD help inspire/motivate others...simply because I don't want to risk being "that" narcisstic girl.

More and more people are becoming self-appointed "fitness celebrities". Their inflated egos are such a turnoff I don't want to be associated with them or the superficial industry they reside in. If you are a legitimate trainer, a person who is passionate about helping OTHERS...then how about showing pictures of your CLIENTS instead of just a million airbrushed modeling pics of YOURSELF or Instagram filtered self bathroom pics? How about showing how you have helped OTHERS instead of just how you've helped YOURSELF?

We all need people to look up to. We all have people who inspire us, whos physiques we admire and strive for. I look up to others, and I have people who look up to me as well. But the question is: how do I enable others to look up to me, while staying true to myself and AUTHENTIC?

I feel like I'm not reaching my full potential as a woman AND as an athlete. I feel like I could be doing so much more in the fitness realm to inspire others, but I've just been so disheartened and discouraged by what I see on a daily basis by other athletes...that I essentially and unfairly SHUN the industry as a whole. Instead of trying to be one of the GOOD ones, one of the REAL ones...I turn my back on it completely. Well, that needs to stop.

There are some AMAZING and incredibly inspirational people out there whom I look up to and adore in this industry...and I WANT to get back to being one of those people as well. I've decided I WILL be posting progress pictures, but in MODERATION, to hold myself accountable and hopefully motivate others. I WILL be competing later this year and will be more public about it so others can follow along if they want.

But I promise you I WON'T ever try to be something I am not, bigger than what I am, or any better than the person next to me.

We can have a conversation about how I got my butt to look like this, but I also want that conversation to include how your kid's latest soccer game went or how excited you are about the big date you having coming up.

The truth is, this "industry" IS...and always WILL be what you make of it. It doesn't define who I am, but it is something that IS a part of me. It has saved my life many times through the years, it has brought me the greatest friends a girl could ask for, it has brought me incredible opportunities and experiences...and most importantly it has brought me the man I plan on spending the rest of my life with...and for THAT I am forever grateful.

I've been uninspired for awhile now and completely burned out...but that fire is starting to burn inside me again (or maybe I'm wrong and its just gas). LOL Either way...it's gonna be one hell of a journey...and if ya have nothing better to do...I'd like for you to come along for the ride :)

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
Re: Kristal Martin on "fitness celebrities" and the "industry"
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:40:34 AM »
I have no idea who this person is.  Does she even lift?

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 11:36:57 PM »

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 06:42:32 PM »
What a lame rant. So people like to show off. GET OVER IT. Welcome to human nature. It doesn't just happen in the fitness industry.

My god why does she even care about what others do?

The solution is simple Kristal.....focus on yourself and quit worrying about what others do.

Sounds like she's jealous.

strongrunbox

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 02:37:02 PM »
Well she's got the body to back it up, she's just raving on the self-absorbed and narcissistic personalities that dominate this sport.  

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »
Well she's got the body to back it up, she's just raving on the self-absorbed and narcissistic personalities that dominate this sport.  

I would argue that someone who feels the need to post that diatribe is self absorbed.