Author Topic: Protein Blend Comparisons  (Read 5248 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Protein Blend Comparisons
« on: December 21, 2005, 12:53:34 PM »
First, let me start by saying that I am a believer in pure Whey Protein Isolate post workout.  However, any other time of the day, especially before bedtime, a protein blend, Whey + Casein + Egg, is the best.  Having said that, here are some comparisons.  If you know of a better product, please post it. 

Labrada Pro V 60
Whey Protein Concentrate, Agglomerated Egg Albumin, Calcium Caseinate, Micro Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Isolate, Ion Exchange Whey Protein Isolate
3.5 Lb for $25.99
www.dpsnutrition.net/product_information.asp?dept=1062&number=LB019
Pros: Good quality, includes Whey Isolate,  Calcium Caseinate and Egg Albumin.  The price is not too bad (about $7.43 per pound).  It tastes good and mixes very well.
Cons: Whey Concentrate is listed first, while Whey Isolate is listed last.  This means that it has more of the cheap Whey Concentrate and less of the quality Whey Isolate, and the price is still kind of high.

Syntrax Matrix 5.0
Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Concentrate (Including Micellar Casein), Undenatured Egg Albumin
5 Lb for $28.99
www.dpsnutrition.net/product_information.asp?dept=1099&number=SY058
Pros: Great price(About $5.80 per pound), includes Egg Albumin.  I have not tasted this one yet, so I don't know about taste and how well it mixes.
Cons: Whey Concentrate is listed first and Whey Isolate is not included.  So this is mostly cheap Whey Concentrate and has none of the quality Whey Isolate.  Cacein is in the form of Milk Protein, and not Isolated Micellar Cacein or Calcium Caceinate.  Overall, it seems like a lower quality product than Labrada Pro V 60 above.  You get what you pay for.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein
Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides
5 Lb for $25.99
www.dpsnutrition.net/product_information.asp?dept=1083&number=ON009
Pros:  Whey Isolate is listed first, while Whey Concentrate is listed second.  So this has more of the quality Whey Isolate and less of the cheap Concentrate.  The price is not bad (about $5.20 per pound)
Cons:  I didn't even want to call this a protein blend.  It is a blend for two different Whey proteins, but it does not include Casein or Egg proteins.  If you are going to get this, why not get a pure Whey Isolate powder for post-workout, which would be much better.  If you want a protein blend, I would not recommend this.

Pride Nutrition Respect
Whey Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Egg Albumen, and "IMMUNOLIN™ is a new protein source that contains a high level of anabolic growth factors"? Whatever
2.5 LB for $54.95
www.pridenutrition.com/products/Respect.aspx
Pros:  Good quality ingredients
Cons: This crap is too expensive (about $21.98 per pound)

AtlargeNutrition Nitrean
Whey Isolates hydrolyzed whey and whey Concentrate, Isolated Casein peptides, instantized Egg Albumen
4.6 Lb for $32.95
www.atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php/products_id/1
Pros:  This by far looks like the highest quality product out there.  Whey Isolate is listed first.  Includes Isolated Casein peptides and Egg Albumen.  It is more expensive than Syntrax Matrix 5.0 above, but cheaper than Labrada Pro V 60, about $7.16 per pound
Cons:  None if the product has what it claims it has.  I would like this product to be tested by www.ConsumerLab.com.  I subscribe to this website and they have tested many protein powders, but they have not tested any of these yet.  All the products that they tested passed, they contained what they claimed and in the amounts that they claimed.  I think that there might have been a few that didn't pass, but it was because they had more sodium than they had claimed. 

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
Re: Protein Blend Comparisons
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 03:29:27 PM »
Go with ICO PRO ;D
CEA999

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 10:00:24 AM »
First, let me start by saying that I am a believer in pure Whey Protein Isolate post workout.  However, any other time of the day, especially before bedtime, a protein blend, Whey + Casein + Egg, is the best.  Having said that, here are some comparisons.  If you know of a better product, please post it. 

Labrada Pro V 60
Whey Protein Concentrate, Agglomerated Egg Albumin, Calcium Caseinate, Micro Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Isolate, Ion Exchange Whey Protein Isolate
3.5 Lb for $25.99
Pros: Good quality, includes Whey Isolate,  Calcium Caseinate and Egg Albumin.  The price is not too bad (about $7.43 per pound).  It tastes good and mixes very well.
Cons: Whey Concentrate is listed first, while Whey Isolate is listed last.  This means that it has more of the cheap Whey Concentrate and less of the quality Whey Isolate, and the price is still kind of high.

Syntrax Matrix 5.0
Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Concentrate (Including Micellar Casein), Undenatured Egg Albumin
5 Lb for $28.99
Pros: Great price(About $5.80 per pound), includes Egg Albumin.  I have not tasted this one yet, so I don't know about taste and how well it mixes.
Cons: Whey Concentrate is listed first and Whey Isolate is not included.  So this is mostly cheap Whey Concentrate and has none of the quality Whey Isolate.  Cacein is in the form of Milk Protein, and not Isolated Micellar Cacein or Calcium Caceinate.  Overall, it seems like a lower quality product than Labrada Pro V 60 above.  You get what you pay for.

5 Lb for $25.99
Pros:  Whey Isolate is listed first, while Whey Concentrate is listed second.  So this has more of the quality Whey Isolate and less of the cheap Concentrate.  The price is not bad (about $5.20 per pound)
Cons:  I didn't even want to call this a protein blend.  It is a blend for two different Whey proteins, but it does not include Casein or Egg proteins.  If you are going to get this, why not get a pure Whey Isolate powder for post-workout, which would be much better.  If you want a protein blend, I would not recommend this.

Pride Nutrition Respect
Whey Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Egg Albumen, and "IMMUNOLIN™ is a new protein source that contains a high level of anabolic growth factors"? Whatever
2.5 LB for $54.95

AtlargeNutrition Nitrean
Whey Isolates hydrolyzed whey and whey Concentrate, Isolated Casein peptides, instantized Egg Albumen
4.6 Lb for $32.95
Pros:  This by far looks like the highest quality product out there.  Whey Isolate is listed first.  Includes Isolated Casein peptides and Egg Albumen.  It is more expensive than Syntrax Matrix 5.0 above, but cheaper than Labrada Pro V 60, about $7.16 per pound
Cons:  None if the product has what it claims it has.  I would like this product to be tested by www.ConsumerLab.com.  I subscribe to this website and they have tested many protein powders, but they have not tested any of these yet.  All the products that they tested passed, they contained what they claimed and in the amounts that they claimed.  I think that there might have been a few that didn't pass, but it was because they had more sodium than they had claimed. 

You did your homework.  LOL
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 06:59:51 PM »

Labrada Pro V 60
3.5 Lb for $25.99

Syntrax Matrix 5.0
5 Lb for $28.99

5 Lb for $25.99

Pride Nutrition Respect
2.5 LB for $54.95

AtlargeNutrition Nitrean
4.6 Lb for $32.95

Thank you for the comment on our product.

It is high quality and we pay for the quality, trust me.  In fact, due to recent increases in the cost of producing and shipping the product it was suggested to me that we consider reducing both the casein and egg content of the product (18% each) and replacing it with whey to keep our cost down.  We declined to do this because we want to continue to offer the best product at a reasonable price.  If you have not tried Nitrean you should.
w

TheBigAristotle

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 07:56:08 AM »
I've used the Optimum, Labrada, and Respect and really liked the Respect a lot. It is quite expensive but is a blend of the best quality proteins with digestive enzymes added and was really the only protein I've ever had that didn't make me the ass of death.

FYI you can make a similar blend at protein factory or true protein for a lot less.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 10:41:22 AM »
I've used the Optimum, Labrada, and Respect and really liked the Respect a lot. It is quite expensive but is a blend of the best quality proteins with digestive enzymes added and was really the only protein I've ever had that didn't make me the ass of death.

FYI you can make a similar blend at protein factory or true protein for a lot less.

proteinfactory.com is great....design your own custom blend and save $$$.

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 12:08:59 PM »
Yes, you can make your own blend from certain sites but who are their protein suppliers?  What is the quality of the blend?  Purity/quality of protein is not uniform. 
w

TheBigAristotle

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 12:38:42 PM »
Yes, you can make your own blend from certain sites but who are their protein suppliers?  What is the quality of the blend?  Purity/quality of protein is not uniform. 

I've never heard any bad feedback from either protein factory or true protein. Most companies don't test the quality of their proteins because they aren't required by the FDA. I do know that Labrada tests every batch.

asiasbitch

• Getbig II
  • Uh-huh...
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 01:13:08 PM »
I like the powder from CompleteProteinPowder.co m as it is a blend of different proteins and leaves no bloat, no gas, just a fresh feeling once down. I get hives from the crap with hydrogenated oils and corn syrup hidden in the product.

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 08:52:04 PM »
Visited true protein and protein factory... didn't see too much of the deals going on. Saw protein for $35 for 6 servings! What the hell is that?
Intensity; the measure of man