Author Topic: Is Praying To God Pointless?  (Read 26597 times)

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Re: Is Praying To God Pointless?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 01:32:28 AM »
I pray daily! will never stop.
I pray for others especially.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 01:47:04 AM »
I pray daily! will never stop.
I pray for others especially.
In other words you have OCD and can't stand other people.
V

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 01:54:37 AM »
In other words you have OCD and can't stand other people.
No they are your words.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 02:01:35 AM »
No they are your words.

Extensive research has shown time and time again that prayer simply doesn't work.  But for reasons beyond me, the religious zealots keep praying each new study on the matter will lead to a different outcome.

So why do you pray all the time knowing it doesn't work.  Isn't that a definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I imagine if I piss you off enough, you might pray for me too.  ;D
V

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 03:03:02 AM »
Extensive research has shown time and time again that prayer simply doesn't work.  But for reasons beyond me, the religious zealots keep praying each new study on the matter will lead to a different outcome.

So why do you pray all the time knowing it doesn't work.  Isn't that a definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

if you died i would still go the gym that same day, wouldnt affect me in the least.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 03:27:27 AM »
if you died i would still go the gym that same day, wouldnt affect me in the least.
How very Christian of you.  Here is a good website for you that may help with your delusions.  

http://godisimaginary.com/index.htm
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 05:10:05 AM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]
V

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 06:19:19 AM »
Extensive research has shown time and time again that prayer simply doesn't work.  But for reasons beyond me, the religious zealots keep praying each new study on the matter will lead to a different outcome.

So why do you pray all the time knowing it doesn't work.  Isn't that a definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I'm sure the research is interesting to read about - perhaps you can post some of it or provide a link to it?  My problem is all the answered prayer in my life over the last 3 years.  On one hand there's all the extensive research that indicates prayer doesn't work and then there's the last 3 years of my life spent in prayer that indicates my prayers are absolutely answered and that prayer "works" (and I haven't mentioned the myriad number of answered prayers in other people's lives).  So without me being disrespectful towards the researchers and their work (which admittedly I haven't read) it's hard for me to even consider it given how much prayer has already been answered in my own life.  Still, I would like to read the research if it's available for review.

FYI ~ I pray for the members of the Getbig boards all the time.....I even pray for you E-Kul!    ;)

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 06:56:51 AM »
Prayer is nothing more than wishful thinking by the weak minded.  Most prayers, shows a level of disrespect to the creative force responsible for life.  You have already been given everything you need, no need to ask for more.  As for a prayer of gratitude, no need, as the creative force already has everything they need.  If you wish to show gratitude, just help out your fellow man.

Obviously those that pray all the time are suffering from some type of Obsessive Compulsive disorder.  A repetitive behaviour that helps reduce anxiety, like nail biting.

The only reason you posted something so utterly ridiculous is to see if you can get a rise out of people. This post doesn't even make sense. It's embarrassing. Keep the bullshit at Gossip and Opinions and let the adults have an adult conversation please.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 07:40:51 AM »
The only reason you posted something so utterly ridiculous is to see if you can get a rise out of people. This post doesn't even make sense. It's embarrassing. Keep the bullshit at Gossip and Opinions and let the adults have an adult conversation please.

You know, I actually invite anyone to post on these boards and it's taken some time and conditioning to understand the ugliness some post about.  Sure some things have to be censored and deleted since the boards belong to Ron.  Still, I try and be a representative for Christ and act as the salt and light for the world so that others can clearly witness the contrast. 

The great thing about ugliness is that it draws attention and more people come to read it, be entertained by it and even participate in it.  Sure enough a thread with 5 posters can quickly become a posting audience of 25-50 posters and who knows how many unknown folks are reading but not posting.  In the end the ugliness provides a tremendous opportunity to share the gospel and love of Christ with many, many others (5 can become 500 worldwide in a single thread)!  I have no delusions of converting posters to Christ in single thread LOL....it's simply about planting a seed and providing a Christlike example for others to consider.

God bless!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 07:44:50 AM »
Yes, it is pointless in my opinion. But, have at it, just try and not interfere with my life while you do it.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 07:46:27 AM »
You know, I actually invite anyone to post on these boards and it's taken some time and conditioning to understand the ugliness some post about.  Sure some things have to be censored and deleted since the boards belong to Ron.  Still, I try and be a representative for Christ and act as the salt and light for the world so that others can clearly witness the contrast. 

The great thing about ugliness is that it draws attention and more people come to read it, be entertained by it and even participate in it.  Sure enough a thread with 5 posters can quickly become a posting audience of 25-50 posters and who knows how many unknown folks are reading but not posting.  In the end the ugliness provides a tremendous opportunity to share the gospel and love of Christ with many, many others (5 can become 500 worldwide in a single thread)!  I have no delusions of converting posters to Christ in single thread LOL....it's simply about planting a seed and providing a Christlike example for others to consider.

God bless!
My heart wants to believe, but my mind won't let me. There are far more questions then answers. Man Of Steel, I have already praised your dedication to Christianity. I just can't put "you're faith" over anyone elses in this world. There is a reason why multiple religions exist.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 01:12:57 PM »
Are you kidding me, if people get upset over this, that is their problem.  Now even if their was a God, and even if prayer worked I believe prayers that ask for something are as disrespectful as me feeding a hungry man and then he says it wasn't good enough, he would have preferred I gave him something better,  more than what he received.  Same with praying to a creative force for something, you have already been given everything you want and need to live a good life, and yet you can't help yourself, you just have to ask for more, you're greediness just gets the better of you.  I want this, I want that, do this for me, do that for me.  This is why the are called God Botherers, stop bothering him and be grateful for what you have, leave him alone and stop disrespecting him by asking for more when he already provided you with everything you need.

The problem is, you live in some ridiculous new age bubble, unable to see outside of it.  Not everybody believes as you do, trying to be nice and kind and not offending people, that's a sure fire way to never know yourself.  Their are areas of knowledge and wisdom that you're shut down mind couldn't even begin to comprehend.  We get it, you're experiencing existential angst that your life's learning hasn't prepared you for and now you are looking for an easy answer.  Wouldn't it be just wonderful if all we needed to do was just simply believe in an imaginary force and ask it for guidance.

Prayer simply doesn't work, this is verifiable scientific fact.  So while you think you are an adult having an adult conversation, you are merely deluded talking nonsense amongst other deluded people.  It is the equivalent of discussing what Santa Claus will bring everyone this year as if it where really going to happen.

The reason my post/s don't make sense to you because you suffer from a seriously low intellect, and their is no amount of prayer that can fix that. Unlike you, I don't believe in being a massive hypocrite or liar just to please other people so as to be liked by them.  What I think of myself, being honest and maintaining my own integrity is far more important than the opinion of deluded individuals.

You asked the question Is Praying To God Pointless? I answered it.  YES IT IS, it is delusional.  Hope this helps.
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 01:46:25 PM »
You know, I actually invite anyone to post on these boards and it's taken some time and conditioning to understand the ugliness some post about.  Sure some things have to be censored and deleted since the boards belong to Ron.  Still, I try and be a representative for Christ and act as the salt and light for the world so that others can clearly witness the contrast.  

The great thing about ugliness is that it draws attention and more people come to read it, be entertained by it and even participate in it.  Sure enough a thread with 5 posters can quickly become a posting audience of 25-50 posters and who knows how many unknown folks are reading but not posting.  In the end the ugliness provides a tremendous opportunity to share the gospel and love of Christ with many, many others (5 can become 500 worldwide in a single thread)!  I have no delusions of converting posters to Christ in single thread LOL....it's simply about planting a seed and providing a Christlike example for others to consider.

God bless!
Man of Steel, you are one of the few religious people on here that I respect.  Your tolerance, intellect and open mindedness shine through.  But I also believe you would be this type of person without religion, I know you will probably argue against that.  And in terms of others posting what you call ugliness, I don't think it's just a matter of their is "No Such Thing As Bad Publicity" and that you are able to put a positive spin on it because it draws more people to the message of Christ.  

Opposing views are crucially important, no matter how hateful or spiteful.  Without them people run the risk of closing their minds, this is how propaganda works, propaganda is always one sided.  Take North Korea for example, all their media is state controlled, radio television etc.  They get told what to think, what to believe and what to do from the time they are born.  They have little to no access to alternative information. They literally have no idea that they are brainwashed and that their supreme leader isn't divine and has never performed miracles.  Without opposing information, people become dangerously brainwashed, and when confronted with reality can literally meltdown.  

And so it goes with those who oppose religion, imagine you had an adult friend who still believed in the myth of Santa Claus, not only believed but was convinced of it, and anybody who tried to convince him otherwise was simply dismissed as a sinful santatheist.  Would you gently try and offer him evidence refuting it and relieve him of his delusions or would you simply let him keep his delusion as it seems to make him happy and doesn't harm anyone.  I imagine a lot of people would simply let him be and write him off as crazy.  And so it goes with religion and god, these are similar delusions, but far more harmful in my opinion and this is why people oppose it, because they aren't harmless delusions like Santa, but very dangerous ones.  

By banning so called haters and those who post ugliness you would be doing yourself a dis-service.  Not because you lose the potential for others to see those carrying Christ's message, but because you would lose the chance to sharpen your mind and increase your wisdom.  I personally find the majority of religious thought and belief hateful and ugly, and have learned to tolerate it.  I would never consider removing them as they are the greatest proof we have of how delusional thinking affects people and how dangerous it is.  In your case you are like the happy drunk, your delusions seem to be of some benefit to you and of little harm, unfortunately the majority of religious people aren't like you.
V

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 03:05:35 PM »
These last few posts give humanity a ray of hope.  ;)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2013, 08:56:51 AM »
My heart wants to believe, but my mind won't let me. There are far more questions then answers. Man Of Steel, I have already praised your dedication to Christianity. I just can't put "you're faith" over anyone elses in this world. There is a reason why multiple religions exist.
How dare your life not be transformed by my words LOL!!!   ;D  Seriously, I understand having reservations and I know what it feels like to have your heart say one thing and your brain say another.  I appreciate your kind remarks and I hope that someday in the future you'll continue to consider letting God work in your life.  I don't have all the answers, but if I can be of any help in that regard let me know. 

Hey, if God can change a gorgeous, brilliant, muscly, sexy, charming rock of a man like me then he can work in your life too!!

God bless!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2013, 10:23:03 AM »
Man of Steel is a cool dude...  ;)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2013, 05:38:56 AM »
Man of Steel is a cool dude...  ;)

You and I need to go do some shoulder presses and then enjoy a protein shake.....one glass, two straws.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2013, 07:16:32 AM »
You and I need to go do some shoulder presses and then enjoy a protein shake.....one glass, two straws.

uh....ummm...well... :-[

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2013, 05:44:37 AM »

LOL...MOS is not only a good man, but he also has a good sense of humor.  To top it off, dude's made of steel.    ;D

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2013, 08:20:42 AM »
God answers every single prayer from every single person who prays regardless of faith, gender, national origin or sexual preference - what you need to understand is sometimes the answer is no. Oh, and by the way... God allows bad things to happen to good people so they will decide to run to God or from God. He gave us free will and it is our decision to run to God in times of crisis or from him. And in those times of crisis our decisions will help to decide where we go for eternity... heaven with God or hell without. Now this is where you make your own decision now that you have been given the knowledge.
sept 10th APF

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2013, 08:22:52 AM »
I don't only pray when I want something though. There is not always a no or yes to be had. However I never feel like he is listening to my prayers. It would be nice if I had a sign he was. I just don't feel it though.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2013, 10:50:13 AM »
God answers every single prayer from every single person who prays regardless of faith, gender, national origin or sexual preference - what you need to understand is sometimes the answer is no. Oh, and by the way... God allows bad things to happen to good people so they will decide to run to God or from God. He gave us free will and it is our decision to run to God in times of crisis or from him. And in those times of crisis our decisions will help to decide where we go for eternity... heaven with God or hell without. Now this is where you make your own decision now that you have been given the knowledge.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/god-answers-prayers-of-paralyzed-little-boy,475/

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »
I don't only pray when I want something though. There is not always a no or yes to be had. However I never feel like he is listening to my prayers. It would be nice if I had a sign he was. I just don't feel it though.

that's a you problem.
sept 10th APF

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »

I used to feel a lot like this when I prayed.  

"What's the point?"  
"Does God care?"  
"I don't feel anything."  
"Why bother?"  

All the normal (and valid) feelings people feel about prayer.   What made the difference for my prayer life and ultimately my faith is when I truly surrendered myself to God and simply made his will the priority for my life.... it made the absolute difference.   I truly seek to have others recognize Jesus Christ in me in all that I do.  

From that point the Holy Spirit filled my soul and I've never been the same.  Doubts of the past have been resolved and I now have the privilege of feeling the Lord's presence during my prayers, in moments of worship and even at times when I post on Getbig.  I make the Lord the center of my life and his presence fills me always.  Certainly there are moments when I feel his presence much stronger than others, but I know always that he's with me and that's he in control.  

If you truly desire to have God lead your life and you're willing to humble and surrender to his will for your life I believe his presence will be made completely evident and tangible in your life during those precious,sincere moments of prayer.