Author Topic: 40% of Americans living paycheck to paycheck  (Read 2802 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
40% of Americans living paycheck to paycheck
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:30:35 AM »
I can understand this when you're younger, just starting out, and I don't know if the survey actually broke this out.

So for a lot of people, there's nobody to blame but themselves.

scottt

• Getbig III
Re: 40% of Americans living paycheck to paycheck
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:58:13 AM »
As a people we have been conditioned to live above our means, to borrow money, and to stay in debt.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 09:20:05 AM »
I can understand this when you're younger, just starting out, and I don't know if the survey actually broke this out.

So for a lot of people, there's nobody to blame but themselves.

I remember eating ramen noodles 2 days before payday when I was a newbie in the military. There are some people that due to no fault of their own, layoff, catostrophic event, end up trying to make ends meet well into life but yeah, I see people getting caught up in the old "The more you make the more you spend" and there are people making 6 figures that are 2 paychecks away from being broke...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »
Inflation is a bitch.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 04:25:18 PM »

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 07:31:07 PM »
I remember eating ramen noodles 2 days before payday when I was a newbie in the military. There are some people that due to no fault of their own, layoff, catostrophic event, end up trying to make ends meet well into life but yeah, I see people getting caught up in the old "The more you make the more you spend" and there are people making 6 figures that are 2 paychecks away from being broke...

Yes, I feel bad for people who go through shit like that, especially medical bankruptcy....one of the reasons I think we need big reform in medical care - just don't like Obamacare.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »

I don't know where the people in that survey stood in terms of wages.  But, it's probably not fair to just drop this in as though that's the cause.  The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 07:38:16 PM »
People are getting hammered in gas, food, education, health care, etc. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 07:42:27 PM »
People are getting hammered in gas, food, education, health care, etc. 

Especially food.  Holy hell has the grocery bill gone up!

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 09:18:45 AM »
Meanwhile this is where your tax dollars are going:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22343030

"Wads of American dollars packed into suitcases, backpacks and, on occasion, plastic shopping bags have been dropped off every month or so at the offices of Afghanistan's president."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 09:30:55 AM »
and I bet 99% of the people living check to check have one of the following items in their pocket right now:

pack of smokes
fast food receipt
smart phone

Americans are broke because they buy so much shit.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
and I bet 99% of the people living check to check have one of the following items in their pocket right now:

pack of smokes
fast food receipt
smart phone

Yup, I invested my iPhone bill instead and now I'm RICH!
Y

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »
As a people we have been conditioned to live above our means, to borrow money, and to stay in debt.

Sad truth.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »
Who needs a growing wage, or a job for that matter, when you can just pile on more debt with cheap credit and loans? Or cheap credit and a shit load of govt. welfare and "freebies?"

There was an awesome ZeroHedge article a while back that broke down those that make 55k and those that make 21k and they found that, by far, those that made 21k per year had more disposable income.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 04:10:29 PM »
Who needs a growing wage, or a job for that matter, when you can just pile on more debt with cheap credit and loans? Or cheap credit and a shit load of govt. welfare and "freebies?"

There was an awesome ZeroHedge article a while back that broke down those that make 55k and those that make 21k and they found that, by far, those that made 21k per year had more disposable income.

can you post that article

something isn't adding up

even if you're single with no kids you aren't going to have much left over after paying rent, food, car insurance etc.. with 21k gross income.   If you're a single wage earner with two kids and a mortgage you're not going to have much left on 55k so the "by far" statement needs some more details

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »
We pay 171 a month for that damm thing..or for both of them. I'm not happy. Foods gone way up....but we're in Texas now and it seems cheaper then even Kentucky, I'm kinda surprised. We don't use the commisary. My wife hates it.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 02:40:40 AM »

pack of smokes
fast food receipt
smart phone

Americans are broke because their currency is worth-less, and getting more worth-less by the minute!!!
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 11:52:59 PM »
Quote from: Psycopath on April 29, 2013, 07:37:47 PM
I'm living proof man. Don't ever get into debt, have kids, get married, or think of spending impulsively like a god damn slack jawed PHAGGOT. You HAVE TO, I MEAN , HAVE TO, always put aside money that you DO NOT TOUCH.

FUCK I-PODS, JIZZ PADS, SMART PHONES, AND THE REST OF IT.

Absolutely!!! I've seen people broke at $40K per month. It's not what you make, it's what you keep that counts.

Saving is soooo important. The average North American has no ideas what saving really is.
We've been conditioned to think that saving is "buying something at a discount".
As a result, North Americans have some of the lowest rates of savings.

With governments debasing our currency so quickly, the tendency is to get rid of it exchanging it for goods as fast as possible because we know it's going to buy less tomorrow than it does today, ...but there's a way to ensure that dollar will buy you as much in 5 years time as it does today. How? By saving hedging your money.

Robert Kiyosaki - Why Savers Are Losers

It's no longer smart to save money the traditional way... ie: in a bank account, because the meager pittance you get doesn't come close to matching the rate of inflation. The bank pays you 1%, but inflation puts up the prices of necessities by 12%+ or more. You're losing 10%+, just for the mere risk of having a bank account. Now with the precedent set by Cyprus, ...you've essentially given your money to banks to become an unsecured creditor to an institution riddled with moral hazard.

That's why I pay myself first. I take a portion of my income, and I save it in the oldest, most reliable form of money there is. Money that has a reliable 6,000 yr. old track record, and is accepted and convertible to cash anywhere on the planet. I do it regularly in small increments right off the top, and don't even feel it.

With as little as $20 a week, one can afford to set aside a little nest egg that will have an opposite effect to the debased currency we are currently forced to transact in. I hedge my money in gold in small, transaction friendly weights of privately issued gold bullion. No gov't issued or minted coins or bars for me. I want to own my money outright, and not have to give it up because some bank riddled with moral hazard has a bad roll of the dice, ...or some politician is spending like a drunken sailor in an effort to buy votes or keep the gov't ponzi scheme afloat a little longer.

It's staggering the lengths some people will go to in order to conceal the truth from your very eyes.
Even when you're all in the same boat, you need to make sure that everyone is rowing, and some aren't drilling holes.

w

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 02:42:02 PM »
well, that's 40% who have jobs. be glad.
w