Author Topic: Nutrition Board Suggestions:  (Read 7599 times)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Nutrition Board Suggestions:
« on: May 02, 2013, 04:40:58 AM »
I've always checked the Nutrition Board daily, in case of a new thread/post - but sometimes it can go a couple of days without a single post!

The board is very well moderated, and has a good bunch of knowledgeable guys who are passionate about sharing info and helping others.

SO, how do we revamp this place and get other getbiggers to post here more often???

I'll start:

1. Have 'crossover' threads that will interest the posters from the G&O - i.e. the 'what did you eat today thread' has great discussion created in it, but can be entertaining.

I know that we need to keep it out of the gutter here, and I appreciate that - but surely something has to give.

Anyway - great job mods, I enjoy this board.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Too many stickies.  Clean that up, please!    :(

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Too many stickies.  Clean that up, please!    :(

Yes there are, but what would you suggest being removed?
:

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Yes there are, but what would you suggest being removed?

I don't know, but since you asked:  All the ones that haven't be replied to in a long time.  I personally haven't read any of them in years.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
I've always checked the Nutrition Board daily, in case of a new thread/post - but sometimes it can go a couple of days without a single post!

The board is very well moderated, and has a good bunch of knowledgeable guys who are passionate about sharing info and helping others.

SO, how do we revamp this place and get other getbiggers to post here more often???

I'll start:

1. Have 'crossover' threads that will interest the posters from the G&O - i.e. the 'what did you eat today thread' has great discussion created in it, but can be entertaining.

I know that we need to keep it out of the gutter here, and I appreciate that - but surely something has to give.

i think that if you posted up some pics of your studly self then that would increase traffic up on over here beefcake

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.

I'll start:

BigCyp:
Thanks for the compliments, and I'm glad you like the board. I always enjoy reading your posts during my bi-monthly visits to the G&O. I know that you're a good dude via the few PM's we've exchanged.
Now, in regards to the topic of this thread...

The only other section of Getbig that I "have keys to" is the ultra-important Wrestling board. Princess occasionally moves appropriate threads here from other boards that she mods (at least, I presume that's how a Falcon thread made it here). Unfortunately, once they're off the "main" board, they're not seen as much. Most of the people who visit Getbig are not here to engage in serious discussions about serious topics such as training and nutrition, anyway. They only want to f*ck around on the G&O. I suspect at least half of them don't train at all.

Seriously, though; what do you think guys like "The Hammer" or "E-Kul" could contribute here? Benny B's pearls of wisdom have been castrated courtesy of TO. Maybe Basile will come down and finally reveal his "secrets for hypertrophy" that he's boasted about for years, but refuses to share. Big N only starts new topics usually TOTALLY UNRELATED to bodybuilding/fitness followed by "-discuss." Brad and Fitness Frenzy only post pics from their tumblr. Anabolichalo chimed in here a few times with a simple, "I think supplements are fake." ::) Nothing constructive there. That's not to slam to any of those guys, but I believe that most of the people who can and want to contribute and interact here already do.

Honestly, the Gossip & Opinion serves to satisfy what most members come here for. Ron could probably operate this entire site with that board, alone. The General board is mostly a dumping ground for "appropriate" threads that don't belong on the G&O. Everything below Politics is pretty much a specialized "extra" for the few people who care.

You'll also notice that certain veteran posters occasionally disappear - sometimes intermittently, sometimes longer, sometimes for good. That happens on every board, but has a greater impact on this one given our smaller number of regular contributors. It's also Spring time for a lot of members, which reduces their participation a bit as they have outdoor work and activities to occupy them.

I definitely like the idea of bringing more traffic to our board. And, I'm not saying that it can't be done. The above are just some obstacles that I see. Feel free to weigh in with more suggestions!

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
^^^ very good post man :)

Montague

• Getbig V
Nutrition Board Suggestions:
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »
^^^ very good post man :)

Thanks.

I do nothing, but I try hard.

Montague

• Getbig V
Re: Nutrition Board Suggestions:
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 04:11:42 AM »
Here is another example that supports my hypothesis: http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=477444.msg6769935#msg6769935

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 03:42:21 PM »
if done right then yes it will work,donny in the training section put together a 71 page and counting all things for the 40 and over'mature thread' crowd,training,diet,every day life ,pics i post many lol attention whore,,,to show what execise /training/bbing means too the over 40 crowd or close to 40,i have 2 pic threads on other boards that sometimes when asked i give detail on what i do mostly its pics and has garnered a lot of views ..i would contribute here and have used/use some supplements nothing stupid like anator or muscletech other up n coming whatmacall it....montague is really good people,,,

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 03:33:47 AM »
Good points Montague - and thanks for taking the time to address each point also.

I second njflex re crossover threads - if done well it can bring a lot of traffic.

I think half the battle is getting members to see how useful the nutrition board can be, esp. the regulars here and how they'll take time to give a detailed reply. Once there here posting on a thread like

"Meal ideas for blacks" ( ;))

They'll see the other threads and visit more often - win/win.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 04:53:54 AM »
As for cleaning up the stickies on the board, what if we created a single locked thread titled "Hot Topics" or something, that would contain links and brief descriptions to all of the currently stickied threads? We could then unsticky all of those individual threads. 

Princess, I'd really like to know what you think of that, especially.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 05:26:40 AM »
As for cleaning up the stickies on the board, what if we created a single locked thread titled "Hot Topics" or something, that would contain links and brief descriptions to all of the currently stickied threads? We could then unsticky all of those individual threads. 

I ain't Princess, but I like your idea.   :)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 05:28:27 AM »

Do we need a new troll to replace SuckMyMuscle?   :)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 07:57:23 AM »

I like the idea and have tried thinking of ways to do that for several years without it becoming a jumbled mess.  The mod tools are very limited.  If one main sticky thread is created and then all the other threads merged into that thread, there wouldn't be any continuity.  There really isn't a way to keep (for example) all the Creatine info contained; it would be intertwined with with discussion of Ephedra.

The only reason I've (we've) left the stickies alone is because many newbies (and others) read them and likely never post.  It's avoided having many repeated questions/threads on the same subject.  I will periodically go through each thread and erase junk posts to keep the thread pages to a minimum and keep it relevant.

Not every thread is necessarily filled with facts; there's various opinions too, but it leaves the reader to do more research and draw their own conclusions.

It would be great to have one main sticky with each topic listed and contained within, but with the limited tools we have at our disposal, I don't know how to achieve this  ???    Any ideas?
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 08:12:40 AM »
Do we need a new troll to replace SuckMyMuscle?   :)

Good threads with relevant discussions would get started by 'whomever' and then SMM would often get involved and turn it into an attack and bashing session and then turn around and delete the thread if he didn't like people questioning him.

So, to answer your question:  No, we don't need a replacement.
  ;)
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 09:21:20 AM »

I like the idea and have tried thinking of ways to do that for several years without it becoming a jumbled mess.  The mod tools are very limited.  If one main sticky thread is created and then all the other threads merged into that thread, there wouldn't be any continuity.  There really isn't a way to keep (for example) all the Creatine info contained; it would be intertwined with with discussion of Ephedra.

In response to the above point only: no, I would never suggest merging the threads, themselves. My idea is to consider making a one-post sticky with links to all of the currently stickied threads. Next to each link, we could provide a brief description - for instance: "Discussion of all things creatine," etc.

What do you think of that?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 09:24:47 AM »

In response to the above point only: no, I would never suggest merging the threads, themselves. My idea is to consider making a one-post sticky with links to all of the currently stickied threads. Next to each link, we could provide a brief description - for instance: "Discussion of all things creatine," etc.

Ahhh... there ya go!  That should work.
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 09:30:04 AM »
Ahhh... there ya go!  That should work.

Serious, or facetious?

Once the thread is created, we could then unsticky all of those threads currently pinned, which would free up and clean up the space on top. Then, readers wouldn't see the same first ten threads every time they click.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 10:03:28 AM »

I see Montague's been consuming his essential oils lately.  Great idea, great idea.   :)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 10:07:52 AM »

Serious, or facetious?

Once the thread is created, we could then unsticky all of those threads currently pinned, which would free up and clean up the space on top. Then, readers wouldn't see the same first ten threads every time they click.

Like so?

Rough draft

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=477651.new#new
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 10:32:04 AM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »
Actually, it's beautiful.

Even more beautiful than I had imagined...

8)

Seriously, the formatting is better and even more streamlined than I was planning.
Nice work, friend!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 10:37:25 AM »
I see Montague's been consuming his essential oils lately.  Great idea, great idea.   :)

Yes, I'm an oily bastard.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 10:38:33 AM »