Author Topic: Cruz 2016  (Read 90506 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Cruz 2016
« Reply #350 on: April 09, 2015, 06:25:05 PM »
Cruz Didn't Just Rise Into First Tier — He Was Already There

Image: Cruz Didn't Just Rise Into First Tier — He Was Already There (Kevin Lamarque/Reuters/Landov)
Friday, 03 Apr 2015

The headlines confirm that Texas Sen. Ted Cruz had a campaign launch to dream of.

"Cruz Surges Following Candidacy Announcement." "Cruz Rockets to Third in New Poll." "Cruz in 'Top Tier' of White House Hopefuls."

A Public Policy Polling survey has Cruz leaping from 5 percent to 16 percent support in the primary; a Fox News poll has Cruz moving up from 4 percent to 10 percent; the Washington Post/ABC News poll has him rising from 8 percent to 12 percent.

Cruz could honestly say that the pundits had bet against him. He's frequently quoted from a hypothesis-heavy New York Times analysis of his chances, which judged that his lack of support from party "elites" and single-digit poll numbers basically ruled him out of contention.

"When the New York Times says that the Washington elites despise me, my only question is whether I have to disclose that to the FEC as an in-kind donation," Cruz crowed in a Fox News interview with Sean Hannity.

"I have to say, I underestimated the importance of an 'actual' presidential announcement to Cruz's numbers," wrote Kyle Kondik, managing editor of Larry Sabato's election-watching Crystal Ball web site.

And yet Cruz's rise should had been totally foreseeable. In the last few presidential campaigns, even candidates with millions of column inches already written about them have gotten bounces from the act of actually entering the race.

At the end of January 2007, Hillary Clinton held at 34.6 percent in the Real Clear Politics average of (sparse) polling, over Obama's 17.6 percent. On Feb. 10, Barack Obama announced his campaign at a rally in Springfield, Ill., a massive event with an air of history and broad national coverage. By March, Obama was just 11 points behind Clinton, at 24.2 percent to her 35.2 percent. Bounce accomplished.

On June 2, 2011, after six months of "exploring" a new bid for the president, Mitt Romney entered the GOP primaries with a speech in New Hampshire. Romney had been the frontrunner, but on launch day he was polling at an average of 17.1 percent over the field. Within two weeks, Romney led the field at an average of 24.4 percent.

That was an impressive-enough bounce, but it was dwarfed by what happened to two also rans: Minnesota Representative Michele Bachmann and Texas Governor Rick Perry. She announced her presidential bid on June 27, in her old home town of Waterloo, Iowa. Bachmann was polling at 7.3 percent on that day; within a month, she'd nearly doubled her support, to 13.5 percent.

Bachmannia ended on Aug. 13, when Perry disrupted the usual media coverage of the Ames Straw Poll by announcing his presidential bid from the RedState Gathering in Charleston, S.C. Like Bachmann, he doubled his support, from 16.2 percent on launch day to a peak of 31.5 percent one month later. Until October, and a succession of gaffes on Social Security and immigration, Perry actually led the field.

Cruz's bounce fits right into the pattern – with one caveat. In the Fox News and PPP surveys, Cruz has actually polled higher than he's polling this week. In September 2013, when Cruz had become the key Republican voice arguing for the Affordable Care Act to be defunded, PPP found him polling at 20 percent, ahead of the entire Republican field.

"Ted Cruz this week established himself as the grassroots hero of the Republican Party," said Dean Debnam, president of Public Policy Polling, in a statement at the time.

Two months later, the Fox News poll pegged Cruz's support at 12 percent, two points better than his showing this week. That result didn't get much attention, because in one of the final studies before "Bridgegate" erupted, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie was leading the field, four points ahead of Cruz. One month later, as Christie fell, the Washington Post/ABC News poll found Cruz at 12 percent, exactly where the new post- announcement poll puts him.

Cruz's presidential launch didn't push him from the boondocks into the first tier. He'd already been in the first tier. The launch gave him a bounce, roughly what you'd expect from a look at other presidential campaigns, and restoring the primacy Cruz had on the right in late 2013.

Here's the important thing: Cruz, one of the happiest media-bashers in the GOP, entered 2016 by proving pundits wrong. The weekend before his announcement, sources in Cruz's campaign smartly downplayed his fundraising ambitions and the coverage he might get.

Cruz himself bemoaned how "nobody is going to manage to keep up" with the nascent campaign of Jeb Bush. His team hoped – they said – to raise $1 million in the first week. Cruz raised that in one day.

Now he's running a TV ad in the first four primary states, which may get more free media than real-time viewer reaction.

It kicks off with a line from his announcement speech: "Were it not for the transformative love of Jesus Christ, I would have been raised by a single mom without my father in the house."

If the viewer remembers how our current president was raised by a single mom (then by grandparents) after his father left the home, and thinks about the contrast – well, that's the umpteenth reminder that Cruz knows what he's doing.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Cruz-poll-president-campaign/2015/04/03/id/636359/#ixzz3Wri9IFiN

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #351 on: April 09, 2015, 06:49:23 PM »
Ted Cruz has had a very impressive opening week.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #352 on: April 09, 2015, 06:56:57 PM »
Cruz Didn't Just Rise Into First Tier — He Was Already There

Image: Cruz Didn't Just Rise Into First Tier — He Was Already There (Kevin Lamarque/Reuters/Landov)
Friday, 03 Apr 2015

The headlines confirm that Texas Sen. Ted Cruz had a campaign launch to dream of.

"Cruz Surges Following Candidacy Announcement." "Cruz Rockets to Third in New Poll." "Cruz in 'Top Tier' of White House Hopefuls."

A Public Policy Polling survey has Cruz leaping from 5 percent to 16 percent support in the primary; a Fox News poll has Cruz moving up from 4 percent to 10 percent; the Washington Post/ABC News poll has him rising from 8 percent to 12 percent.

Cruz could honestly say that the pundits had bet against him. He's frequently quoted from a hypothesis-heavy New York Times analysis of his chances, which judged that his lack of support from party "elites" and single-digit poll numbers basically ruled him out of contention.

"When the New York Times says that the Washington elites despise me, my only question is whether I have to disclose that to the FEC as an in-kind donation," Cruz crowed in a Fox News interview with Sean Hannity.

"I have to say, I underestimated the importance of an 'actual' presidential announcement to Cruz's numbers," wrote Kyle Kondik, managing editor of Larry Sabato's election-watching Crystal Ball web site.

And yet Cruz's rise should had been totally foreseeable. In the last few presidential campaigns, even candidates with millions of column inches already written about them have gotten bounces from the act of actually entering the race.

At the end of January 2007, Hillary Clinton held at 34.6 percent in the Real Clear Politics average of (sparse) polling, over Obama's 17.6 percent. On Feb. 10, Barack Obama announced his campaign at a rally in Springfield, Ill., a massive event with an air of history and broad national coverage. By March, Obama was just 11 points behind Clinton, at 24.2 percent to her 35.2 percent. Bounce accomplished.

On June 2, 2011, after six months of "exploring" a new bid for the president, Mitt Romney entered the GOP primaries with a speech in New Hampshire. Romney had been the frontrunner, but on launch day he was polling at an average of 17.1 percent over the field. Within two weeks, Romney led the field at an average of 24.4 percent.

That was an impressive-enough bounce, but it was dwarfed by what happened to two also rans: Minnesota Representative Michele Bachmann and Texas Governor Rick Perry. She announced her presidential bid on June 27, in her old home town of Waterloo, Iowa. Bachmann was polling at 7.3 percent on that day; within a month, she'd nearly doubled her support, to 13.5 percent.

Bachmannia ended on Aug. 13, when Perry disrupted the usual media coverage of the Ames Straw Poll by announcing his presidential bid from the RedState Gathering in Charleston, S.C. Like Bachmann, he doubled his support, from 16.2 percent on launch day to a peak of 31.5 percent one month later. Until October, and a succession of gaffes on Social Security and immigration, Perry actually led the field.

Cruz's bounce fits right into the pattern – with one caveat. In the Fox News and PPP surveys, Cruz has actually polled higher than he's polling this week. In September 2013, when Cruz had become the key Republican voice arguing for the Affordable Care Act to be defunded, PPP found him polling at 20 percent, ahead of the entire Republican field.

"Ted Cruz this week established himself as the grassroots hero of the Republican Party," said Dean Debnam, president of Public Policy Polling, in a statement at the time.

Two months later, the Fox News poll pegged Cruz's support at 12 percent, two points better than his showing this week. That result didn't get much attention, because in one of the final studies before "Bridgegate" erupted, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie was leading the field, four points ahead of Cruz. One month later, as Christie fell, the Washington Post/ABC News poll found Cruz at 12 percent, exactly where the new post- announcement poll puts him.

Cruz's presidential launch didn't push him from the boondocks into the first tier. He'd already been in the first tier. The launch gave him a bounce, roughly what you'd expect from a look at other presidential campaigns, and restoring the primacy Cruz had on the right in late 2013.

Here's the important thing: Cruz, one of the happiest media-bashers in the GOP, entered 2016 by proving pundits wrong. The weekend before his announcement, sources in Cruz's campaign smartly downplayed his fundraising ambitions and the coverage he might get.

Cruz himself bemoaned how "nobody is going to manage to keep up" with the nascent campaign of Jeb Bush. His team hoped – they said – to raise $1 million in the first week. Cruz raised that in one day.

Now he's running a TV ad in the first four primary states, which may get more free media than real-time viewer reaction.

It kicks off with a line from his announcement speech: "Were it not for the transformative love of Jesus Christ, I would have been raised by a single mom without my father in the house."

If the viewer remembers how our current president was raised by a single mom (then by grandparents) after his father left the home, and thinks about the contrast – well, that's the umpteenth reminder that Cruz knows what he's doing.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Cruz-poll-president-campaign/2015/04/03/id/636359/#ixzz3Wri9IFiN

what does this statement mean

his father would have ran out on them if not for Jeebus

also being raised by a single parent didn't seem to be a hindrance to Obama getting elected

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #353 on: April 16, 2015, 09:57:52 AM »
Good, but he'll have to add some zeroes. 

Ted Cruz Raised $4 Million in Nine Days, Report Shows
Wednesday, 15 Apr 2015

Republican Texas Senator Ted Cruz raised more than $4 million in the first nine days of his presidential campaign, a report Wednesday to the Federal Election Commission shows.

About 44 percent of the contributions came from donors giving $200 or less. Cruz's Senate campaign transferred in about $250,000, giving him an overall starting nut of $4.3 million. Among his contributors: Boston private equity king John Childs and Dallas investor Robert Rowling, both of whom were major Republican benefactors in 2012 and 2014.

The Cruz for President financial documents mark the first public accounting of the 2016 race. Others who have recently declared their campaigns, including Kentucky Senator Rand Paul, Florida Senator Marco Rubio, both Republicans, and Democratic former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton won't report to the FEC until July 15.

Still, the Wednesday filings, which reflect financial activity between Jan. 1 and March 31, offer clues about the fundraising abilities of other candidates and potential contenders.

Rubio, the Republican primary's latest entrant, has been traveling the country for months meeting with possible presidential donors and speaking to voters in important early voting states such as New Hampshire. His pre-existing political committee, which has helped pay for those efforts, on Wednesday reported raising $1.8 million in the first three months of the year.

Paul announced his candidacy earlier this month, and like Rubio, he's been financing his presidential fact-finding via his pre-existing political committee. It raised about $332,000 in the first three months of the year. (Cruz also has one of these; it reported raising $113,225 through March 31.)

Republican Ben Carson has raised more than $2 million—71 percent of which was from people giving $200 or less—since beginning his 2016 presidential exploration bid in early March. The Baltimore neurosurgeon-turned-conservative darling recently said he would announce whether he'll get in the race on May 4 in his hometown of Detroit.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/ted-cruz-raised-4-million/2015/04/15/id/638810/#ixzz3XUa6ifHw
Urgent: Rate Obama on His Job Performance. Vote Here Now!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #354 on: April 16, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
Good, but he'll have to add some zeroes. 

Are you saying he should hire Karl Rove and the dudes that vetted palin back in 2008?

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #355 on: April 16, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
Does anyone besides 240 still watch MSNBC ?
yup.
start with 20 minutes of Fox and Friends then switch to Morning Joe for the remainder of the show; same stories, just the rest of the information.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #356 on: April 16, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »
yup.
start with 20 minutes of Fox and Friends then switch to Morning Joe for the remainder of the show; same stories, just the rest of the information.

now that it's election season, I watch both again.  I didn't watch much of either for about a year. 

I cannot take much of either in very large doses.  FOX with hannity is great.  Oreilly is okay, but he's tame now that he's been busted for lying about warzones and claiming he was outside that suicide when he was really 4 states away.  Morning Joe is absolutely unwatchable but I do like Hardball, as they get combative.  I like it because it gives a conservative a chance to show they're tough when faced with an unfriendly room.  If Cruz goes on Hardball and dominates, he's golden for election season.  If Rand melts to samantha freakin gunthrie - one of the weaker original MSNBC peons - then we realize he's not shrewd, tough, or ready for primetime pressure. 

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #357 on: April 16, 2015, 04:50:10 PM »
CRUZ: FEDS SHOULD ‘RECOGNIZE’ STATE DECISIONS ON MARIJUANA

Senator Ted Cruz defends states rights on marijuana

Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) said marijuana legalization is “a legitimate question for the states to make a determination” and that it is “appropriate for the federal government to recognize that the citizens of [Washington and Colorado] have made that decision” on Thursday’s “Hugh Hewitt Show.”

Cruz said that Colorado and Washington legalizing marijuana is a “qualitatively different situation” than the president’s executive action on immigration “because in that instance — I’m a believer in federalism on a great many issues. I think it was some of the genius of the framers, is understanding that we have many different states, and the citizens of each state are going to have different values. And so as you know, Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis referred to federalism and the many states as laboratories of democracy.”

He continued, “when it comes to a question of legalizing marijuana, I don’t support legalizing marijuana. If it were on the ballot in the state of Texas, I would vote no. But I also believe that’s a legitimate question for the states to make a determination. And the citizens of Colorado and Washington State have come to a different conclusion. They have decided they want to legalize it. I think it is appropriate for the federal government to recognize that the citizens of those states have made that decision, and one of the benefits of it, you know, using Brandeis’ terms of laboratories of democracy, is we can now watch and see what happens in Colorado and Washington State. There have been lots of theoretical arguments for a long time about the consequences of legalizing marijuana. We can now see. If those states suddenly see a dramatic increase in teen drug use, if they see a dramatic increase in crime, if they see significant harmful effects coming from it, I suspect other states are going to be far less eager to walk down that road.”

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #358 on: April 16, 2015, 04:57:14 PM »
Cruz Comes Out Swinging For Second Amendment

Fiery Senator Ted Ceuz (R-TX) fired off an email to supporters avowing his steadfast support for the Second Amendment. He defended the original intent of the right to bear arms, writing, "The 2nd Amendment to the Constitution isn't for just protecting hunting rights, and it's not only to safeguard your right to target practice. It is a Constitutional right to protect your children, your family, your home, our lives, and to serve as the ultimate check against governmental tyranny -- for the protection of liberty. When elected President -- I will ensure your Constitutional right to keep and bear arms is NOT INFRINGED."

Cruz continued by noting that he has not only supported the Second Amendment vocally, but with his actions as well:

In 2008, as Texas Solicitor General, I drafted a key, pro-gun brief to the U.S. Supreme Court in the Heller v D.C. case and earned the signatures of 31 state attorneys general to uphold the right to keep firearms in the home for self-defense. **We won that case in a 5-4 landmark decision.** Then in 2013 -- after Barack Obama and Harry Reid pledged to pass gun control in the U.S. Senate -- I fought back, ready to shut down the Senate to stop any legislation undermining the 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

After the Sandy Hook massacre, Cruz was asked, "In the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings, a statistic surfaced putting support for background checks at 90%. Did you go against the want of the nation with your vote against Manchin/Toomey, and also, how does public opinion shape you response to national problems?" Cruz fired back:

There’s an old line: There are lies, damn lies and statistics. You’re right, that was a poll that was bandied around a lot. You can find an awful lot of results in a poll depending on how you frame the question, as you and I both know. We have a system of background checks in place right now; if either of us goes to a federally licensed firearms dealer there’s a background check that’s put in place.

What Manchin/Toomey was trying to do was to extend that to every private sale between two individuals, put the federal government, not in terms of having a system of background checks for federally licensed dealers but for you and me, for two guys in a duck blind, selling their shotgun one to the other, and the federal government doesn’t have any business there.

And if you ask the American people that, they don’t want the federal government getting in between private consensual sales between individual citizens. And I would note that when you asked about the role of public opinion polls, when it comes to constitutional rights, what matters is what The Bill of Rights says. It doesn’t matter what might be popular at the moment.

We’ve seen regimes across the face of the earth come and take away people’s guns, strip away their rights to defend themselves, and sometimes its been very popular, and yet it is an inevitable prelude to tyranny.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #359 on: April 16, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »
Cruz is taking very smart positions on a lot of issues early :)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #360 on: April 16, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »
Cruz is taking very smart positions on a lot of issues early :)

I figured you would like that 2nd amendment article I posted.  8)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #361 on: April 16, 2015, 11:26:26 PM »
Cruz still has lags behind Clinton in the poles by more than 10 points.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #362 on: April 17, 2015, 11:03:20 AM »
ADAM CAROLLA: ‘I WANT TO SUPPORT’ TED CRUZ; VERY IMPRESSIVE STORY, VERY IMPRESSIVE BACKGROUND

Comedian and author Adam Carolla stated “”I want to support Ted. I love me some Ted Cruz” on Friday’s episode of “The Adam Carolla Show.”

After Cruz “a lot of choices” for voters who want “someone who’ll go along to get along,” Carolla remarked “Jeb Bush being one of them perhaps?” Cruz responded that he would leave that determination to the voters.

Carolla later added, “I want to support Ted. I love me some Ted Cruz,” and that Cruz has a “very impressive background…very impressive story.”

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #363 on: October 20, 2015, 02:15:01 PM »
 :o

George W. Bush on Ted Cruz: 'I Just Don't Like the Guy'

Image: George W. Bush on Ted Cruz: 'I Just Don't Like the Guy'  (Getty Images)
By Loren Gutentag   
Tuesday, 20 Oct 2015

Former President George W. Bush shocked a group of donors to the Jeb Bush campaign on Sunday night with some blunt talk about one of his brother's biggest rivals – and it isn't Donald Trump.

“I just don’t like the guy,” Bush said about Texas Sen. Ted Cruz on Sunday night, according to Politico, reporting conversations with donors who attended the event.

“The tenor of what he said about the other candidates was really pretty pleasant," one donor noted. "Until he got to Cruz.”

According to Politico, Bush took a harsh view on Cruz's apparent alliance with Trump, the GOP front-runner, when they stood together at a Capitol Hill rally last month in opposition to the Iran deal. He also noted that he found it suspicious that Trump has criticized every other candidate, except for Cruz.

One donor paraphrased George W. Bush's remarks: "He said he found it ‘opportunistic’ that Cruz was sucking up to Trump and just expecting all of his support to come to him in the end.”

Another donor said that “He sort of looks at this like Cruz is doing it all for his own personal gain, and that’s juxtaposed against a family that’s been all about public service and doing it for the right reasons.

"He's frustrated to have watched Cruz basically hijack the Republican Party of Texas and the Republican Party in Washington."

Cruz's campaign initially declined to comment on the former president's remarks, however, a statement from the senator was released Monday night.

“I have great respect for George W. Bush, and was proud to work on his 2000 campaign and in his administration," Cruz said. "It's no surprise that President Bush is supporting his brother and attacking the candidates he believes pose a threat to his campaign. I have no intention of reciprocating. I met my wife Heidi working on his campaign, and so I will always be grateful to him."

However, Politico reports that Freddy Ford, George W. Bush's spokesman, pushed back at the donors' reaction that he views Cruz as his brother's main obstacle in the 15-candidate primary field.

"The first words out of President Bush's mouth last night were that Jeb is going to earn the nomination, win the election, and be a great president," said Ford "He does not view Sen. Cruz as Gov. Bush's most serious rival."

George W. Bush, who now resides in Dallas, has appeared in four fundraising events in less than a month for his brother's campaign, hoping to capitalize on the family legacy and donor network, Poilitico reports.

In an attempt to reward new donors to the Jeb Bush campaign, he will also be appearing along with his father, former President George H.W. Bush at an event in Houston this weekend – an opportunity to see two former presidents and, potentially, a third in the same room.

But despite the 43rd president's recent appearances at events, a donor told Politico that "He emphasized that he’s not going to be out on the campaign trail doing public events."
The donor added, "“He wants to be helpful and supportive like any brother would be. But he said, ‘You’re not going to see a lot of me.’"

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/George-W-Bush-Ted-Cruz/2015/10/20/id/697067/#ixzz3p92qBmI7

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #364 on: October 21, 2015, 07:17:10 AM »
the recent polls are very strange...in 2 of them he is in 3rd place nationally, another in 4th, and then 1-2 more where his is 6-7. the other candidates don't have this much inconsistency in the polling results; its hard to make sense of.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: October 21, 2015, 08:38:25 AM »
CNN had him at 4% nationally this week.  But they only talked to 485 people... definitely not the 1030 or so which seems to be the standard. 

My guess is that he's 6 to 8% solid.  Dubya Bush certainly sees him at a threat to bush as the scrubs start dropping out and that anti-trump support currently sitting with rand and christie has to go somewhere.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #366 on: October 22, 2015, 01:52:23 PM »
CNN had him at 4% nationally this week.  But they only talked to 485 people... definitely not the 1030 or so which seems to be the standard. 

My guess is that he's 6 to 8% solid.  Dubya Bush certainly sees him at a threat to bush as the scrubs start dropping out and that anti-trump support currently sitting with rand and christie has to go somewhere.

along with the dubya statement it was also allegedly said that dubya saw Cruz as the biggest 'threat' to his brother winning...they immediately came out and denied it tho of course  :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #367 on: October 26, 2015, 09:47:50 AM »
Cruz: We're 'one liberal justice' from irreparable damage
Matthew Patane, mpatane@dmreg.com
October 23, 2015

Republican presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz, R-TexasBuy Photo
(Photo: Zach Boyden-Holmes/The Register)

CLARINDA, Ia. – The U.S. is "one justice away" from a liberal Supreme Court causing enough damage for the nation to become unrecognizable, Texas Republican Ted Cruz said Friday.

"One more liberal justice and our right to keep and bear arms is taken away from us by an activist court. One more liberal justice and they begin sandblasting and bulldozing veterans memorials throughout this country. One more liberal justice and we lose our sovereignty to the United Nations and the World Court," Cruz said when responding to how he would treat appointing justices to the court.

Cruz, a U.S. senator and presidential hopeful, has made similar statements earlier in the campaign cycle.

After the Supreme Court made rulings upholding the federal health care law and legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide, Cruz called for Supreme Court justices to face retention elections.

Cruz was in the middle of a five-stop tour Friday through parts of southwest Iowa as he continues to seek his party's presidential nomination. A new Des Moines Register/Bloomberg Politics poll released the same day put Cruz in third place in Iowa among likely Republican caucusgoers.

Still, Cruz faces a blockade from neurosurgeon Ben Carson and businessman Donald Trump. Carson took the top spot in the poll and Trump came in second.

Iowa political observers have also noted Cruz has to fend off other competitors – such as former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal – who are competing for similar voters.

Mary-Alice Blake Gilson, who lives in West Des Moines but heard Cruz speak in Atlantic, said she is supporting Jindal. Even so, she said she wanted to see Cruz and other candidates to stay informed.

"In case (Cruz) gets the nomination, then I would liked to have seen him. … I’m big on information," she said.

While registered as a Republican, Blake Gilson said she voted for President Barack Obama in 2008. She later voted for Mitt Romney in the 2012 election, saying she could no longer support Obama.

"I think he lied to us," she said.

In Clarinda, retired farmer Michael Pattavina asked Cruz about his commitment to investigating and defunding Planned Parenthood.

"I think he’s taking it too far because I think Planned Parenthood does more to prevent abortions than all the pro-life (programs) put together," Pattavina said. "I think these women need the program. If you shut them completely down, you’re denying millions of women health care."

A self-described "Bernie Sanders man," Pattavina got into a mini debate with friend Jane Jensen about the merits of Sanders and Cruz.

While Pattavina questioned the trustworthiness of Cruz, Jensen said she didn't want to support a socialist like Sanders.

"He wants to give away the farm and I’m not going to vote for anyone who" wants to do that, said Jensen, who has put Cruz and Carson at the top of her list.

Throughout his stops Friday, Cruz touted his campaign's money haul so far this cycle – $26.5 million – and that his operation has kept a large part of that cash on-hand for future use.

"We have over $3.5 million more in the bank than Jeb Bush does, which, to be honest, is absolutely nuts," Cruz said.

That amount doesn't take into account money held by Super PACs supporting Cruz or the other candidates.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2015/10/23/cruz-clarinda-atlantic-stops/74404022/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #368 on: October 26, 2015, 09:50:03 AM »
Cruz: We're 'one liberal justice' from irreparable damage

He's right.  The next prez will probably bring in 2 of them.

In related news,
Vote For Trump If You Want A Liberal Supreme Court

http://redmillennial.com/2015/07/27/vote-for-trump-if-you-want-a-liberal-supreme-court/

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #369 on: October 26, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »
Announced today he just picked up the backing of several key, major Texas donors...and has the most money on hand of anyone besides bush, 41% of which from small grassroots donors...great news for the campaign

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #370 on: October 26, 2015, 12:46:15 PM »
Announced today he just picked up the backing of several key, major Texas donors...and has the most money on hand of anyone besides bush, 41% of which from small grassroots donors...great news for the campaign

Cruz is doing everything right.  Just let the idiots scream and make headlines while he continues to gain support/donors in a dignified manner.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #371 on: October 26, 2015, 12:51:34 PM »
Would love to see Cruz go deep in this race but Trump is a pit bull and unseating him in a one on one situation will prove to be VERY difficult.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #372 on: October 26, 2015, 02:10:15 PM »
Would love to see Cruz go deep in this race but Trump is a pit bull and unseating him in a one on one situation will prove to be VERY difficult.

yep. NO ONE saw TRUMP coming and no one has any idea how to deal with it. Cruz's planning and execution has been excellent so far but im not sure how he gets around TRUMP.
I like TRUMP, but Cruz is realistically the best man for the job

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #373 on: October 26, 2015, 02:15:15 PM »
yep. NO ONE saw TRUMP coming and no one has any idea how to deal with it. Cruz's planning and execution has been excellent so far but im not sure how he gets around TRUMP.
I like TRUMP, but Cruz is realistically the best man for the job

Damn good post.

Especially agree with the last part.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #374 on: October 26, 2015, 02:19:22 PM »
At this point, I think Cruz, Rubio, Carson, and Bush will probably be the last men standing when Trump quits.

Bush is looking pretty bad right now, and I hope he loses, but he has too much money to write off just yet.