Author Topic: REAL GYM'S. Where have they gone.  (Read 7546 times)

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
REAL GYM'S. Where have they gone.
« on: May 09, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »
REALS GYM'S WHERE HAVE THEY GONE?
Is it just me or have all the Real OLD School Gyms Disappeared?   It's sad to say that most are gone. What you find today are lookalike spa's and Fitness Centers with all haveing the same clone white painted bullshit machines or rows of treadmills and exercising bikes.  They think you should put on panties, stand on a tread mill in a long row and watch other clones on TV tell them there training hard.  "REALLY" is that anyone's idea of real training.  Duh.  What happened to having a Real Benchpress, Squat Rack, rows of Curl Bars with incline benches,  Dip Racks and long rows of Big Dumbbells. Tons of Free Weight 45,50,100 Pound Plates. Olympic Bars everywhere. You know, where all the Real Bodybuilding Legends Trained.  Guys like Arnold, Draper, Sergio, Tinerino, Columbo, the best of the best trained.  Not one of them ever would have been cought dead on a tread mill or watching a video when working out.  They also all got to the top of there game by using Free Weights and Hard Work  Not clone fancy machines and watching wannabe instructors on TV. If that was the case Jack LaLaine would have been the Bodybuilding Legend maker instead of guys like Weider, Zuver, Stern, Gold, and the many others that knew how to really train a champion.  I guess in today's world there's no money to be made in the real gym business.  All the Real Gyms have been driven back to the home garage and back yard. Gone are the groups of great Bodybuilders who train togather. Now they only have a very few choices of places to train for real.  There are new Clone Fitness Centers springing up on dam near every street corner, but they all look alike and aren't being run by real fitness icons. There owned by corporations who are only there to take your money, so WTF do they care.
I know most likley some of the readers here are going to dislike the things I've said here. I say to that O Well. There initialed to there opinion and they don't know any better because they have never been to a Real Weight Gym.  
So after looking at the pictures I post here, am I right or what?  I welcome all your thoughts and comments on this matter.
Thanks for listening to an old gym guy.
The first photos are the way it should be.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
Re: REAL GYM'S. Where have they gone.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »
More

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 11:29:23 AM »
Clone Gyms
TV's   "REALLY"
Tread Mills "REALLY"
Do you see the next Superstar Bodybuilder anywhere here???

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 11:39:13 AM »
Oops no real gym.

REAL MEN TRAIN IN GYM"S

ALL THE REST PLAY AROUND IN FITNESS CENTERS AND SPA'S
PS
Don't Grunt!
Don't Talk to Loud!
Don't work up a sweat!
Don't try!!!
Don't Bother!!!!!!!!!!!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »
Oops no real gym.

REAL MEN TRAIN IN GYM"S

ALL THE REST PLAY AROUND IN FITNESS CENTERS AND SPA'S
PS
Don't Grunt!
Don't Talk to Loud!
Don't work up a sweat!
Don't try!!!
Don't Bother!!!!!!!!!!!

all the better gyms in my area closed years ago, among them fred's gym, eskimo's gym,olympic fitness center, the body factory,and even a bridge gym to the future gyms fitness america, which actually had a nice hardcore area in it's midst.
F

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:58:43 AM »
WOW
Thought I would get some response from the people on this site with this thread.  I must have hurt some feelings with the truth about Fitness Centers. I know there are some old timers on here like myself who remember what a real gym is.
So what's up guys, no opinions?  No pictures of your favorite workout spots. I would like to see where everyone traines these days. You all can't all workout in Health Spas and Fitness Centers. At least I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe OldSchool truely is gone for good.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »
WOW
Thought I would get some response from the people on this site with this thread.  I must have hurt some feelings with the truth about Fitness Centers. I know there are some old timers on here like myself who remember what a real gym is.
So what's up guys, no opinions?  No pictures of your favorite workout spots. I would like to see where everyone traines these days. You all can't all workout in Health Spas and Fitness Centers. At least I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe OldSchool truely is gone for good.
;)pic of old york gym went there as a kid to buy stuff.
F

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 12:41:30 PM »
Sadly I have no gyms from my youth to remember. Only Zuver's
Not that wasn't a hand full.
This is what I'm talking about.
Thanks
Mr Funk

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »
one reason,real gyms are falling by the wayside is not enough support.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »
Irondawg gym gainesville ga.....

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 01:13:27 PM »
one reason,real gyms are falling by the wayside is not enough support.

There are still a few real gyms left out there only most of the old school guys are keeping them to themselves.
In Chicago there's Quads.  It's sad but the hard core guys don't want a bunch of amateur players getting in there way.  The days of the skinny kid walking in a gym and being treated with open arms by the biggest guys in town is gone.  
Back in the day of Zuver's Gym everyone was made to feel welcome.  When skinny kids walked in they were helped by, not only Bob Zuver, but by even champion lifters who trained there every day.  That's what makes a good gym, GREAT. That's how so many guys in the old day became Famous. With Help From Though's who learned from the best old school teachers of the time.  
Today it's about the money. Most gyms, clubs, Centers, only want to get enought fame to sell memberships.
Not build Legends. Many of the Great Legends got started in small home town gyms like Zuver's.
I would love to see a real, back to basics old school gym agin. It only needs to have basic equipment but lots of it. Bench Presses, Incline Presses, Flat Benches, a compleat set of Dumbbell's,  from 20lbs to at least 200lbs.
Two good Power Racks.  A compleat EZ Curl Bar Set from 40lbs to 250lbs. Sit up boards. And only two Machines in the place. A good Calf Machine, and a Good Pull down Lat Machine. Of corse TONs Of Free Weights.
And I mean TONS. That's all a Real Old School Gym needs to train The Best In The World.
 But most of all. Spirit, Heart, and Ambition.
Show me a gym like this and I'll show you a Real Champion Gym.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 10:46:13 AM »
More
esp like the curling bar area in the center of the gym.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
pics from fitness america in the mid  80's. it had a seperate machine area for men and women and a hardcore coed area.
F

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 10:56:17 AM »
esp like the curling bar area in the center of the gym.

It was the most used unit in the gym.
Also it didn't take up much room for the amount of use it got.
New School Gyms could learn from Zuver's Championship Gym.
That's if they ever want to be known as a Great Gym.
 Not just a Copy Cat Fitness Center.