Author Topic: BigCyps Frugal Fitness - Part one: BB Meals for under £1 / $1.50  (Read 107782 times)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: BigCyps Frugal Fitness - Part one: BB Meals for under £1 / $1.50
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 08:00:02 AM »
http://www.jsward.com/cooking/conversion.shtml

Metric conversion tables with an automatic temperature converter in case Cyp cooks anything in the oven.
R

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 08:20:43 AM »
Very handy, thanks Stella.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »
http://www.jsward.com/cooking/conversion.shtml

Metric conversion tables with an automatic temperature converter in case Cyp cooks anything in the oven.

Talking of oven plans, there should be 2 very simple chicken breast recipes on here shortly that need to be baked!

First one: 'Stuffed Chicken Breast with Streaky Bacon, Cottage Cheese, Spinach and Rice.'

£0.99p / $1.50 per plate!!!  :o

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 03:01:14 AM »
6. Cottage Cheese & Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts wrapped in Streaky Bacon with Rice - £0.99/$1.50 per portion!

(37g Protein, 34g Carbs, 17g Fat, 600 kcals)
(Broccolli instead of rice: 34g Protein, 6g Carbs, 16g Fat, 450 Kcals)

What you'll need: 2,4, or 6 chicken breasts (depending on how many meals you're preparing) Low fat cottage cheese, frozen spinach Pack of streaky bacon, rice, dash of olive oil. (Low carb option: for the same price, replace the rice with half a plate of cooked frozen broccoli).

Once you take a bite of this, you won't believe it cost less than one pound to put together.

1.  Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, take the chicken breasts and cut 3/4 of the way through. Put to one side and defrost a bunch of the spinach in a small cup of water.

2. Mix the cottage cheese with a pinch of black pepper and the drained spinach, and spread 2 tablespoons of the mixture in each breast.

3. Wrap 2 rashers of bacon tightly around each breast and drizzle with olive oil before placing in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes.

4. Put 250g of rice in a pan and wash in warm water until the water runs clear. Drain the water and add boiled water so that the water level is about 2cm above the rice level. Cover and simmer on very low heat until the rice is cooked throughout.

4. Check how the breasts are doing after 30 mins - you want the bacon to become somewhat crispy before serving.

Serving suggestion: Eat it slowly whilst watching Game of Thrones.

(Generic photo)

Chicken Breast (£3.99 for six/1kg Aldi), Cottage Cheese (£0.59 for 300g Tesco), Frozen Spinach (£1.00 per bag Tesco), Streaky Bacon (£1.04 for 300g Tesco)[/left]

Jonny34

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »
6. Cottage Cheese & Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts wrapped in Streaky Bacon with Rice - £0.99/$1.50 per portion!

What you'll need: 2,4, or 6 chicken breasts (depending on how many meals you're preparing) Low fat cottage cheese, frozen spinach Pack of streaky bacon, rice, dash of olive oil. (Low carb option: for the same price, replace the rice with half a plate of cooked frozen broccoli).

Once you take a bite of this, you won't believe it cost less than one pound to put together.

1.  Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, take the chicken breasts and cut 3/4 of the way through. Put to one side and defrost a bunch of the spinach in a small cup of water.

2. Mix the cottage cheese with a pinch of black pepper and the drained spinach, and spread 2 tablespoons of the mixture in each breast.

3. Wrap 2 rashers of bacon tightly around each breast and drizzle with olive oil before placing in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes.

4. Put 250g of rice in a pan and wash in warm water until the water runs clear. Drain the water and add boiled water so that the water level is about 2cm above the rice level. Cover and simmer on very low heat until the rice is cooked throughout.

4. Check how the breasts are doing after 30 mins - you want the bacon to become somewhat crispy before serving.

(Generic photo)

Chicken Breast (£3.99 for six/1kg Aldi), Cottage Cheese (£0.59 for 300g Tesco), Frozen Spinach (£1.00 per bag Tesco), Streaky Bacon (£1.04 for 300g Tesco)[/left]

Looks good BigCyp, I'm going to have to try this for sure. Thanks

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 12:22:23 PM »

(Generic photo)

A couple of notes on the above recipe.  First, be sure to drain the spinach WELL (lots of squeezing with paper towel).  Second, I believe your cottage cheese is much drier than our typical American version, therefore, I'd use something like our Ricotta or better yet Feta (more flavor).  Some onion sauteed' with the drained spinach would also add more flavor.  This will bake very quickly since the breasts are split, probably in under 45 mins @ 350.
:

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 03:41:25 PM »
Thanks Princess, yep good point with the spinach, you want to keep the filling as dry as possible as the oven will bring a lot of moisture out of the chicken itself. Sounds amazing with feta - but then again I am Greek  ;D

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 01:46:35 AM »
7. Raisin & Cinnamon Protein Pancakes – 51p/78 cents
(30g protein, 35g carbs, 20g fat, 440 kcals)

What you’ll need: 4 whole eggs, ½ cup dry oats, handful raisins/sultanas, teaspoon of cinnamon or mixed spice

This is a tasty alternative to the banana pancake recipe, with the same nutritional profile and makes a great breakfast. The blended raisins bring a texture that I really like – enjoy! (If you need around 600kcals for breakfast, make enough for another pancake)

1. Throw everything in a blender and blitz until smooth.

2. Put a small pan on a low heat with a splash of oil/butter/low kcal spray, once the pan’s hot enough pour in around 1/3 of the mixture and give it a couple of minutes on each side until nicely browned. Sprinkle with splenda for extra sweetness, and tuck in knowing that Onemorerep made the same pancakes all the way over in NYC for $5 a plate!

Cut the yolks for a low fat/lower calories option, or reduce the oats to 1/4 cup to bring it down to around 26g if dieting with low carbs, (I would cut to 3 eggs if using so little oats to avoid an ‘omlettey’ texture)

(Generic photo)

(Eggs: 15 for £1.35 Aldi, Rolled Oats: 1kg for £0.60 Aldi, Raisins: 500g for £0.98p Sainsbury’s, Cinnamon 100g £0.49 (most Asian food stores)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 06:13:41 AM »
8. Jalapeño Beef & Pork Stuffed Peppers with Baked Egg – £0.99/$1.50
(51g protein, 9g carbs, 25g fat, 474 kcals)

What you’ll need: 200g ground beef & pork (mince), 2 eggs, 1 large bell pepper, ½ onion, 1 clove garlic, ¼ cup pickled jalapeno pepper slices, 2 teaspoons paprika powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, heaped teaspoon of dried mixed herbs, salt & pepper.

This fiery recipe is for those who requested low carb/keto options (trust me it’s pretty hard to not bulk up a meal with cheap carb sources on less than a dollar fifty!)

Obvious Keto choices are tuna/egg salad with dressing etc, however; 1. That’s no recipe! 2. Salads/cold foods get very boring after a while - especially when you fancy something hot for lunch.

1. Halve the bell pepper (length ways) & remove all seeds/inner membranes. Break the eggs into a cup & add half the jalapeño slices, stirring the mixture a couple of times to break the yolk (don't overdo it as you'll want a nice marbled finish when cooked). Pour the mixture in each pepper half.

2. Heat the oven to 180 degrees (c) /350 degrees (f) and place the pepper halves on a baking tray (even directly onto the shelf is fine). Bake until the egg is cooked through/peppers begin to soften. Once cooked, remove from the oven and keep to one side for your topping.

3. While the pepper halves are baking, chop the onion & garlic as fine as you can get them, then heat a small drop of oil in a large pan on medium heat and add just the ground meat. Fry the meat, continuously stirring/folding it until most of the fat has cooked out (try to break down the meat as finely as possible) then drain the liquid fat from the pan.

4. Add the onions & garlic and stir the mixture occasionally until the onions soften. (Don't forget to check the peppers!)

5. Once the meat’s cooked turn the heat down low & add the paprika, cumin, jalapeno slices and dried herbs, with a small amount of water. You don’t want the mixture to be too wet; this is just to prevent it from burning. Simmer on a low heat for further 5-10 minutes, or until the peppers are baked. You’ll want to taste the mixture at this point to add however much salt/black pepper you prefer.

6. Once the peppers are baked, spoon the mixture to fill the remaining space in the halves (there should be plenty of meat – I usually let it run over the sides onto my plate!) & heat on a tray for another 5 minutes before serving.

If you fancy - sprinkle some cheese on top before the extra 5 minutes in the oven, or just before serving to make it even tastier.

The baked egg and jalapeno underneath the topping makes a nice change from the regular stuffed peppers I’ve seen elsewhere, plus the added egg increases the overall protein a little. BigCyp approved!

(Generic photo)

(Eggs: 15 for £1.35 Aldi, Beef & Pork Mince (frozen) 1kg for £3.00 Sainsbury’s, Bell Peppers 4 per bag £0.69 Aldi, Onions 1kg £0.63 Tesco, Paprika 100g for £0.49 (most Asian food stores), Cumin 100g £0.49 (most Asian food stores), Garlic 3 cloves £0.49, Jalapeno Slices 500g jar for £0.99 Londis.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 12:37:09 PM »
Just got back from Aldi, where I noticed 15 eggs are in fact £1.35 no £1.79 as I thought  :o

I'll edit the prices of the recipes i've posted. I really didn't think they could get any cheaper.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 04:18:43 AM »
Here's another great shake recipe with 15g extra protein and less fat: (Up next: Tuna & Horseradish Patties)

The Big One (Johnny Falcon Shake) - £0.99 / $1.48

(55g protein, 58g carbs, 20g fat - 675 kcals)

What you'll need: 4 eggs (2 whites, 2 whole) (Don’t throw the yolks in the bin!) 5 tablespoons of skimmed milk powder, 400ml skimmed/non fat milk, 1 frozen banana, ¼ cup plain low fat cottage cheese, tablespoon of peanut butter, splenda/stevia to taste (should be sweet enough).

I named this shake in honor of 'that daddywaddy photo'  ;D Another decent tasting shake, and at almost 700kcal you could even use as a meal replacement.

55g of protein for 99p is not bad considering you don’t need to add any fart powders to these recipes. I’d love to make a recipe with less carbs per serving, however it’s nigh on impossible without using whey in the mixture (casein usually brings it’s carby friend ‘Galactose’ along for the ride!)

(Generic photo)

Eggs - 9p each (£1.35 for 15 Aldi) Skim milk powder - 10p (£1.40 for 400g Tesco) Skimmed milk - 20p (99p for 2 litres Aldi) Plain Cottage Cheese – 15p (£0.65 per tub Aldi) PB – 5p (£0.62 for 320g Sainsbury’s), Banana – 10p (£0.79 for 8 Aldi)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 12:41:08 PM »
Just got back from Aldi, where I noticed 15 eggs are in fact £1.35 no £1.79 as I thought  :o

I'll edit the prices of the recipes i've posted. I really didn't think they could get any cheaper.

Your prices are WAY cheaper than ours.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 05:56:55 PM »
Typical trip to Aldi
3.15  Chicken breasts (approx.. 1.5lbs)
1.79 Bag Spinach leaves 9 oz.
3.29 Fage Yogurt 17.5 oz.
3.69 Fugi Apples 3lbs
2.79 Navel Oranges 3lbs
.49 Avocados
1.19 Dried Cranberries 6oz
.84-1.29 Eggs 1 dozen
.99 Baby Carrots 1 lb.
5.99 Turkey Breasts 20 oz.
2.49 Frozen Blueberries 1 lb.
1.99 Goat Cheese 6 oz.
1.29 Fresh Broccoli 1 lb
1.29 Fresh Cauliflower 1 lb.
2.99 3 Bag bell peppers – red, orange, yellow

:

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »
Typical trip to Aldi
3.69 Fugi Apples 3lbs
2.79 Navel Oranges 3lbs
.49 Avocados
.84-1.29 Eggs 1 dozen
.99 Baby Carrots 1 lb.
1.99 Goat Cheese 6 oz.
1.29 Fresh Broccoli 1 lb

Damn, and I thought that $0.79 was good for avocados!

This is a great thread. Good work, Cyp!!

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 08:39:19 PM »
This is a cool thread, I'm making those pancakes tomorrow.

I shop at Aldi too LargeCyp!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 09:13:19 PM »
7. Raisin & Cinnamon Protein Pancakes – 51p/78 cents

What you’ll need: 4 whole eggs, ½ cup dry oats, handful raisins/sultanas, teaspoon of cinnamon or mixed spice

This is a tasty alternative to the banana pancake recipe, with the same nutritional profile and makes a great breakfast. The blended raisins bring a texture that I really like – enjoy! (If you need around 600kcals for breakfast, make enough for another pancake)

1. Throw everything in a blender and blitz until smooth.

2. Put a small pan on a low heat with a splash of oil/butter/low kcal spray, once the pan’s hot enough pour in around 1/3 of the mixture and give it a couple of minutes on each side until nicely browned. Sprinkle with splenda for extra sweetness, and tuck in knowing that Onemorerep made the same pancakes all the way over in NYC for $5 a plate!

Cut the yolks for a low fat/lower calories option, or reduce the oats to 1/4 cup to bring it down to around 26g if dieting with low carbs, (I would cut to 3 eggs if using so little oats to avoid an ‘omlettey’ texture)

(Generic photo)

(Eggs: 15 for £1.35 Aldi, Rolled Oats: 1kg for £0.60 Aldi, Raisins: 500g for £0.98p Sainsbury’s, Cinnamon 100g £0.49 (most Asian food stores)

If you want to go really low carb, blend egg whites, cottage cheese, vanilla protein powder and cook like pancakes.  Add whatever spices you like to batter (vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond extract...) or even some canned pumpkin.
:

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 04:08:34 AM »
Typical trip to Aldi
3.69 Fugi Apples 3lbs
2.79 Navel Oranges 3lbs
.49 Avocados
.84-1.29 Eggs 1 dozen
.99 Baby Carrots 1 lb.
1.99 Goat Cheese 6 oz.
1.29 Fresh Broccoli 1 lb

That's still a very cheap shop, with lots of great ingredients in that basket.

12 eggs in your Aldi is .84-1.29??? That makes, 15 eggs cheaper where you live???

15 eggs at my local Aldi works out to around $2

(Correct me if i'm missing something obvious here lol!)

On a side note though Princess, I buy most, if not all of my ingredients from the 'basic' or 'value' range if I shop outside of Aldi. In most scenarios, that cuts the price by almost half on the supermarkets regular range.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 04:46:45 AM »
8. Tuna & Horseradish Patties – 3 for £0.84/$1.27
(35g protein, 17g carbs, 3.5g fat, 400 kcals)

What you’ll need: 185g/1 tin tuna flakes, 2 eggs, ¼ cup rolled oats, large tablespoon of horseradish sauce, ½ onion, 1 clove garlic, ½ juice of a lemon, pinch of dried mixed herbs, salt & pepper.

Another 5 minute recipe that would make a tasty low carb & low fat snack. Add rice/sweet potato on the side to make this a complete meal.

Over the years, I’ve not found many ways to make a cheap of tuna something to look forward, but this is definitely one of them!

1. Drain the tuna and try to get the flakes as dry as possible. Dice half an onion as fine as you can get it, along with the garlic and add all 3 ingredients into a bowl.

2. Add all of the remaining ingredients and fold/whisk it all together until you get a semi-wet 'omelet mixture'. Heat a regular frying pan with a drop of oil (you don't want the pan too hot) and simply spoon the mixture to form 3 patties in the pan.

3. A few minutes on each side will do, as only the onion and egg need to cook through - be careful they don't stick.

Add spinach, or any small leaf to the mixture for extra goodness & fiber, or serve with rice for a complete meal that's still under $1.50/£1.

(Generic photo)

(Tuna: £0.49 Asda, Eggs: 15 for £1.35 Aldi, Onions 1kg £0.63 Tesco, Garlic 3 cloves £0.49 Tesco, Horseradish £0.51 per jar Sainsbury’s, dried mixed herbs £0.19 per pot Asda)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2013, 05:21:26 AM »
9. ChocBanana Protein Pancakes – 77p/$1

What you’ll need: 1 banana, 4 whole eggs, ½ cup dry oats, level teaspoon cocoa powder (sweetener once cooked if you need it)

This is pretty much the same recipe as the banana pancakes, but I added cocoa this morning and they were THE best 'fitness' food i've eaten for breakfast - I just had to share  

1. Simply throw everything in a blender and blitz until smooth and put a small pan on a low heat with a splash of oil/butter/low kcal spray. Pour in around 1/3 of the mixture once the pan’s hot and give it a few minutes on each side until nicely browned.

Sprinkle with sweetner and try to eat them slowly. This would actually make an amazing desert, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

Cut the yolks for a low fat/lower calories option, or reduce the oats to 1/4 cup to bring it down to around 26g if dieting with low carbs. If you need 600kcals for breakfast, make enough for another pancake!

Should look something like this:

(Eggs: 15 for £1.35 Aldi, Rolled Oats: 1kg for £0.60 Aldi, Bananas: 8 for £0.69p Aldi, Cocoa: £1.00 medium box Asda)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2013, 08:08:07 AM »
This is a cool thread, I'm making those pancakes tomorrow.

I shop at Aldi too LargeCyp!

Hahaha, yes you are a sensible man P.I.P!

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 07:29:16 AM »
As promised!

10. Simple Tuna, Egg & Potato Tapas – £0.99p/$1.50
(45g protein, 17g carbs, 15g fat, 440 kcals)

What you’ll need: 1 tin tuna, 2 whole eggs, 1/4 onion, 2 tomatoes, 1 cup new potatoes (could even use canned), tablespoon white vinegar, tablespoon olive oil, tablespoon lemon juice, 1 clove garlic, salt & pepper.

I first came across this Tapas recipe when we were served it alongside our drinks & fresh bread in Mijas, Spain.
My wife commented on how simple yet delicious it was, and we pretty much worked out the ingredients by taste.
Makes a great lunch to take to work, works well with rice on the side, or even a cheap way to brighten up a dinner party/meal if you have friends over.

1. If you are using fresh potatoes simply boil the potatoes until soft, and the eggs until hard boiled (hard yolks needed) quarter the potatoes and removed the skins and discard, also quarter the eggs and leave both in the bowl/container you are going to eat from.

2. Dice the onion up very small, and cut the tomatoes into eights (small triangle pieces), roughly chop the garlic and add these ingredients into the same bowl as the potatoes & egg.

3. Drain all the water/oil from the tuna until it’s pretty dry and then simply spoon the tuna into the rest of the ingredients and turn in over a few times gently (try not to break up the eggs/potatoes too much).

4. Lastly add the olive oil, white vinegar, and lemon juice along with the salt/pepper and mixed herbs and fold it all together.

5. Leave this mixture at room temperature for an hour for maximum taste! (If you’ve refridgerated overnight – let it warm up to room temp before eating).

This is delicious scooped up with fresh bread!

(Eggs: 15 for £1.35 Aldi, Tuna £0.49 Asda, New Potatoes: £0.79 500g Aldi, Lemons: 3 for £0.49 Tesco, Garlic 3 cloves for £0.49 Tesco, Tomatoes: 500g £0.95 Asda, Vinegar: £0.48 per pint Asda)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 05:16:39 AM »
11. Reeces Style Protein Ice Cream – 90p/$1.36
(42g protein, 17g carbs, 22g fat, 410 kcals)

What you’ll need: 1 tub (300g) low fat cottage cheese, 2 generous tablespoons peanut butter, 1 tablespoon sweetener, 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, 1/4 glass milk

This low fat/low sugar ice cream couldn't be any easier, and makes the ideal night time treat. For those who are not a fan of the taste of cottage cheese, as a protein source, you literally can't make it taste any better than this.

Note: Due to the low fat content, this ice cream becomes very solid if left to freeze too long. I usually check on it a couple of time and when it's solid enough I'll stuff it down right away. If you do freeze it overnight - just take it out for a while and leave to thaw before tucking in. You could add 1 tablespoon of vodka/rum to the mix before freezing, which will keep it soft.

1. Simply throw all of the above ingredients into a blender/small puree blender and blitz until smooth as you can get it.

2. Pour into small container and freeze for around 100-120 mins.

(Cottage Cheese: 300g for £0.65 Aldi, PB: £0.62 a jar Sainsbury's, Cocoa: £1.00 a box Asda, Sweetener: £1.00 per jar Aldi)

Coming up: Raspberry Ripple flavour....

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2013, 08:33:50 AM »
12. Raspberry Ripple Protein Ice Cream – 73p/$1.10
(35g protein, 35g carbs, 3g fat, 310 kcals)

What you’ll need: 1 tub (300g) low fat cottage cheese, 1 tablespoon sweetener, 4 drops/1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence, 1 generous tablespoon raspberry jam, 1/4 glass milk.

Again, this low fat/low sugar ice cream is so easy to put together, and makes a refreshing change to the usual night time protein shake.

Note: Due to the low fat content, this ice cream becomes very solid if left to freeze too long. I usually check on it a couple of time and when it's solid enough I'll stuff it down right away. If you do freeze it overnight - just take it out for a while and leave to thaw before tucking in. You could add 1 tablespoon of vodka/rum to the mix before freezing, which will keep it soft.

1. Keep the jam to one side, and throw the rest of the ingredients into a blender/small puree blender - blitz until it's smooth as you can manage.

2. Pour into the container you will use for freezing, then simply scoop a large tablespoon of raspberry jam and swirl it into the mixture (don't mix it, as you won't get any ripples through the ice cream). Freeze for around 100-120 mins.

(Cottage Cheese: 300g for £0.65 Aldi, Raspberry Jam: £0.90 jar Sainsbury's, Sweetener: £1.00 per jar Aldi, Vanilla Essence: £1.04 40ml, Tesco)

Enjoy bros!

RJ DRIVER

• Getbig IV
  • I'm like a retard minus the strength
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »
This is great thanks!

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 03:01:03 PM »
This is great thanks!

No worries brother, plenty more to come!