Author Topic: Obama: "As An African American You Have To Work Twice As Hard As Anyone Else If  (Read 3877 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama: "As An African American You Have To Work Twice As Hard As Anyone Else If You Want To Get By"

PRESIDENT OBAMA: You are the mantle of Frederick Douglass and Booker T. Washington and Ralph Bunche and Langston Hughes and George Washington Carver and Ralph Abernathy and Thurgood Marshall and, yes, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. These men were many things to many people and they knew full well the role that racism played in their life. But when it came to their own accomplishments and sense of purpose, they had no time for excuses. Every one of you has a grandma or an uncle or a parent whose told you at some point in life as an African American you have to work twice as hard as anyone else if you want to get by.

###

If you think you can just get over in this economy just because you have a Morehouse degree, you're in for a rude awakening. But if you stay hungry, if you keep hustling, if you keep on your grind and get other folks to do the same, nobody can stop you. And I when I talk about pursuing excellence and setting an example, I am not just talking about in your professional life. (Morehouse College, May 19, 2013)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Skip8282

• Getbig V

Ha...coming from the guy who won a Nobel based on what he 'might' do, lol.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Ha...coming from the guy who won a Nobel based on what he 'might' do, lol.

;D

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
He's right-- if you're black, home invasions tend to be dangerous for the victims, so you'll have to work twice as hard  ::)

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/in_clutches_of_hofstra_fiend_rjnoueHdwcsuLrLvFTDjYN

Hofstra student recounts horrifying hostage experience at off-campus home

Hofstra student John Kourtessis described a chaotic scene of fear and horror when a crazed parolee in a ski mask took his friends and him hostage in a gunpoint siege that ended with the death of a pretty co-ed.

“Somebody in this house f--ked up and owes this Russian guy $10,000,” yelled Dalton Smith, who was on the run after violating parole last month.

“I was trying to calm everyone down, like, ‘Don’t worry, just give the guy what he wants and we’re going to get out of here,’ ” Kourtessis recounted to The Post.

But there was no averting tragedy. Minutes after the incident began, Smith and Andrea Rebello, 21, were dead.

The horror unfolded after a night of drinking at a bar, McHebe’s, a hangout for Hofstra University students where Rebello, her twin sister, Jessica, their friend Shannon Thomas, Andrea’s boyfriend Brad Wilson and Jessica’s boyfriend, Kourtessis, partied to mark the end of the school semester.

“We were supposed to be celebrating because school was out, but Andrea wasn’t having the best night,” said Wilson, 22, a marketing major.

“She just had something bothering her. So I was there, just doing what I could to help make her feel better. I tried making her laugh.”

Wilson broke off from the group at about 2 a.m. after they left the bar. The rest stopped a 7-Eleven for late-night snack and headed to the tiny, two-story house the girls shared in Uniondale, LI.

“We never got a chance to say goodbye,” Wilson said.

At the house, Jessica asked Kourtessis to move his car.

He ran upstairs to get his keys. When he came back down, Kourtessis said, Smith was there, waiting.

Smith kept talking about “the Russian guy,” Kourtessis recalled.

The parolee claimed the house’s residents owed the Russian money, that the Russian was waiting outside and that the debt was due “by the end of the night.”

His claims made no sense to anyone, but Smith’s semiautomatic gun was hard to ignore.

Kourtessis said he found himself in a kind of survival mode.

“I didn’t hear screaming,” he recalled. “I just don’t remember hearing screaming. I had tunnel vision.”

Kourtessis tried to appease Smith. “He was saying . . . that he just needed us to cooperate. I said, ‘Listen, we have all this money here.’ ”

They offered up the computers, jewelry and other items in the house, Kourtessis said, explaining to the thug, “This is worth $3,000, this is worth $1,500, we’re almost there.”

Andrea, Jessica and Thomas were crying. Smith kept demanding more money. But none of the young people had enough to satisfy him.

“So he says. ‘Where’s the jewelry?’ ” Kourtessis recalled.

They moved upstairs, menaced all the while by Smith’s gun.

The crook asked who had money in the bank. Shannon said she could get $700 from an ATM. Smith told her to go get it.

Shannon ran from the house, drove off and called 911.

Moments later, in the house, Andrea, Jessica and John heard a noise outside. Thinking Shannon had returned, Jessica went to the door. Instead, Jessica found police officers — so she ran to safety.

Realizing the police had arrived, Smith freaked out.

“I can’t go back to jail! One of you, get over here,” Smith said, according to Kourtessis’ account.

“So I get up and come over and he puts me down with the gun to the back of my head,” Kourtessis said. “He said, ‘Show them your hands and tell the cops to get out of there.’ Then he does the same to Andrea.”

Smith, whose rap sheet lists robbery and assault charges dating to 1999, asked for a way out of the house.

Kourtessis offered an escape route. “Crawl and show me,” Smith commanded.

Slowly, Kourtessis made his way down the stairs, making a left at the bottom.

“I see an officer there, with his gun out, standing by the steps. So I’m thinking, ‘Good, there’s a cop there,’ ” he said.

“I run behind the L-shaped couch and I see the cop pointing his gun toward the TV.”

Smith also made his way down the stairs — holding Andrea in a headlock and using her as a human shield, police said. The officer began talking to Smith, saying, “Put the gun down and let the girl go.”

“I’m going to kill her,” Smith replied. Kourtessis ran into a bedroom. Then he heard the shots.

“I hear ‘pop, pop’ — two shots,” he said. “I run out and I run toward where they are.”

By then the cop had maneuvered the criminal into the basement area of the home, said Kourtessis. He then watched as the officer shot twice more. He saw other officers outside, and dropped to the floor.

“Andrea! Andrea!” he screamed.

But Andrea didn’t answer.

Both Smith and Andrea were felled by bullets fired by a Nassau officer, cops said.

Records show Smith, 30, was released from prison in February after serving more than 8 years in the slammer for attempted armed robbery, and cops said he quickly violated parole, prompting a warrant for his arrest.

The career criminal also served time previously for crimes including auto theft.

After the shooting, cops swarmed into the house, handcuffed Kourtessis and began a search.

The stunning episode just days before Hofstra’s commencement sent shock waves through the school.

Andrea’s family huddled at their Westchester home, refusing to comment to media as visitors brought food and flowers. Four detectives visited the family late yesterday.

For Wilson, it was a tragic end to his 2 1/2-year romance with the beautiful young woman from Tarrytown.

“Andrea had the biggest, brightest smile and she was so smart. She practically lived in the library, always into her books and studying hard.

Andrea had planned to soon move from the home where she died.

“I really wish she moved out sooner,” said Wilson.

“She had so much love and she showed it to everyone. She was pure and innocent and deserved everything good in this world. I will never forget about her, and she will always have a big piece of my heart.”

Additional reporting by Erin Calabrese, Candice Giove, Candace Amos and Kathianne Boniello

tonymctones

• Getbig V
LMFAO still playing the race card

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Meanwhile Obama never did jack shit in his life and is potus.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
its dope... he's at my school...Boom

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Obama is an embarrassment to blacks.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND

He's at the DeVry institute?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
He's at the DeVry institute?

Morehouse College... that was my undergrad

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Michelle Obama Decries "Slander" That Educated Blacks Are "Trying To Act White"
CBSNews.com ^ | May 20,2013 | CBSNews.com
Posted on May 20, 2013 6:26:50 AM EDT by Biggirl

During a commencement address at Bowie State University on Friday, first lady Michelle Obama urged the graduates of the historically black university to "please stand up and reject the slander that says a black child with a book is trying to act white," instructing them to "be an example of excellence for the next generation."

(Excerpt) Read more at cbsnews.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Obama needs to stop lecturing predominantly black audiences, some supporters say

By Vanessa Williams, Published: May 20

Trevor Coleman thinks it’s time for President Obama to get a new speech for black audiences. The personal responsibility finger-wagging, delivered most recently Sunday at Morehouse College’s commencement, is getting old.

During the speech, Obama admonished black men to take care of their families and their communities and told the graduates that despite the lingering legacies of slavery and discrimination, “we’ve got no time for excuses.” Obama also used the occasion to talk about his own life, touching on the fact that he was raised by a single mother and that growing up he sometimes blamed some of his bad choices on “the world trying to keep a black man down.”

The half-hour speech in Atlanta drew a rousing response from those who had sat in pouring rain waiting for the president to speak.

Coleman, a former speechwriter for former Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm, said that although parts of the talk were strong and lofty, including passages honoring Morehouse graduate Martin Luther King Jr., he was disappointed that Obama almost always defaults to the clean-up-your-act message when talking to predominantly black audiences. First lady Michelle Obama issued a similar tongue-lashing last week at Bowie State University’s commencement ceremony. She told graduates at the historically black Maryland school that too many young people are “fantasizing about being a baller or a rapper.”

“The first couple of times, it was okay, but I and a lot of other people are beginning to grow weary of it,” said Coleman, adding that the message was particularly galling at Sunday’s event at the historically black Georgia school. “What made it so gratuitous was this was Morehouse College! In the African American community, the very definition of a Morehouse man is someone who is a leader, who is taught to go out and make a difference in his community.” (The White House declined comment.)

Obama has been making this point — and stirring controversy — since he was a candidate in 2008.  Jesse Jackson Sr. was incensed by what he saw as Obama’s “talking down to black people,” yet it was Jackson who was criticized. Many in the black community believed that Obama’s chastisements were necessary to make himself politically palatable to white voters.

The president’s most recent such remarks — there were only a few Sunday, but they were widely reported — triggered a debate on blogs and social media that, in part, asked why Obama continued his lecturing.

Leola Johnson, an associate professor and chair of the Media and Cultural Studies Department at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minn., said the Obamas’ speeches “are actually not aimed at black people.”

“They’re actually for white people, liberals especially,” she said. Liberal bloggers were brimming with praise for Obama after the Morehouse speech. “It’s the legacy of Daniel Patrick Moynihan and that whole group of white liberals who want to say it’s not just about structural problems that black people aren’t doing well, it’s about their own values.”

Kevin Powell, an activist based in New York who travels the country encouraging black men to take responsibility for their lives, said he has no problem with Obama challenging the black community, but . . .

“You also have to challenge the system, just as you challenge the people. It’s not an either/or,” said Powell, president and founder of BK Nation, an organization focused on education and civic engagement.

The Morehouse speech offered an instance of Obama discussing race, a topic he has been criticized for avoiding given his unique vantage point as the country’s first African American president. Some African Americans have been disappointed at Obama’s frequent refrain that he is president of all Americans when asked why he hasn’t specifically addressed problems that afflict many black communities, including chronic unemployment and failing schools.

On this front, A. Scott Bolden, a Washington lawyer and Morehouse graduate, and Coleman, the former speechwriter and Detroit-based writer, offered finger-wagging lectures of their own.

“It’s interesting that President Obama is always asking black people to take responsibility for themselves,” Bolden said. “It would be really nice if he’d take responsibility for black people in his second term.”

Coleman says he’ll find the president’s next commencement speech, scheduled for Friday at the U.S. Naval Academy, particularly instructive. “That will be interesting given the reports of sex harassment in the military,” Coleman said. “Is he going to chide those cadets about addressing the social pathologies in that population?”

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
A more appropriate speech would have gone along the lines of: "Keep voting Democrat morons."

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
A more appropriate speech would have gone along the lines of: "Keep voting Democrat morons."

but George.. Serious, has the GOP done anything as a party in policy to warrant any new voters...

Do they act like they should be voted for?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
but George.. Serious, has the GOP done anything as a party in policy to warrant any new voters...

Damn GOP - cant offer better than free phones!!!!

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Damn GOP - cant offer better than free phones!!!!

Obama refuses to celebrate birthday, throws a party

hahahahahah im gonna have fun with this one for like a week

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Obama refuses to celebrate birthday, throws a party

hahahahahah im gonna have fun with this one for like a week

95%ers are always bought off w cheap stunts 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
95%ers are always bought off w cheap stunts 

i refuse to use the internet, i made this announcement via email.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Obama: "As An African American You Have To Work Twice As Hard As Anyone Else If You Want To Get By"

PRESIDENT OBAMA: You are the mantle of Frederick Douglass and Booker T. Washington and Ralph Bunche and Langston Hughes and George Washington Carver and Ralph Abernathy and Thurgood Marshall and, yes, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. These men were many things to many people and they knew full well the role that racism played in their life. But when it came to their own accomplishments and sense of purpose, they had no time for excuses. Every one of you has a grandma or an uncle or a parent whose told you at some point in life as an African American you have to work twice as hard as anyone else if you want to get by.

###

If you think you can just get over in this economy just because you have a Morehouse degree, you're in for a rude awakening. But if you stay hungry, if you keep hustling, if you keep on your grind and get other folks to do the same, nobody can stop you. And I when I talk about pursuing excellence and setting an example, I am not just talking about in your professional life. (Morehouse College, May 19, 2013)

I graduated from an HBCU. Yet, the guest speaker wasn't talking like that whatsoever. Of course, you have certain "black liberation" professors on campus. But, they tend to be in history and philosophy classes. None were in my engineering classes.

They had better things to do, like getting more black students in the engineering college, which my alma mater shared with a larger predominantly white university.

BTW, who in their right mind would go to MOREHOUSE, an all-male HBCU? During the early 90s (when sisters were rockin' spandex biker shorts), I thought I'd died and gone to big booty heaven my freshman year.

;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Obama needs to stop lecturing predominantly black audiences, some supporters say

By Vanessa Williams, Published: May 20

Trevor Coleman thinks it’s time for President Obama to get a new speech for black audiences. The personal responsibility finger-wagging, delivered most recently Sunday at Morehouse College’s commencement, is getting old.

During the speech, Obama admonished black men to take care of their families and their communities and told the graduates that despite the lingering legacies of slavery and discrimination, “we’ve got no time for excuses.” Obama also used the occasion to talk about his own life, touching on the fact that he was raised by a single mother and that growing up he sometimes blamed some of his bad choices on “the world trying to keep a black man down.”

The half-hour speech in Atlanta drew a rousing response from those who had sat in pouring rain waiting for the president to speak.

Coleman, a former speechwriter for former Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm, said that although parts of the talk were strong and lofty, including passages honoring Morehouse graduate Martin Luther King Jr., he was disappointed that Obama almost always defaults to the clean-up-your-act message when talking to predominantly black audiences. First lady Michelle Obama issued a similar tongue-lashing last week at Bowie State University’s commencement ceremony. She told graduates at the historically black Maryland school that too many young people are “fantasizing about being a baller or a rapper.”

“The first couple of times, it was okay, but I and a lot of other people are beginning to grow weary of it,” said Coleman, adding that the message was particularly galling at Sunday’s event at the historically black Georgia school. “What made it so gratuitous was this was Morehouse College! In the African American community, the very definition of a Morehouse man is someone who is a leader, who is taught to go out and make a difference in his community.” (The White House declined comment.)

Obama has been making this point — and stirring controversy — since he was a candidate in 2008.  Jesse Jackson Sr. was incensed by what he saw as Obama’s “talking down to black people,” yet it was Jackson who was criticized. Many in the black community believed that Obama’s chastisements were necessary to make himself politically palatable to white voters.

The president’s most recent such remarks — there were only a few Sunday, but they were widely reported — triggered a debate on blogs and social media that, in part, asked why Obama continued his lecturing.

Leola Johnson, an associate professor and chair of the Media and Cultural Studies Department at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minn., said the Obamas’ speeches “are actually not aimed at black people.”

“They’re actually for white people, liberals especially,” she said. Liberal bloggers were brimming with praise for Obama after the Morehouse speech. “It’s the legacy of Daniel Patrick Moynihan and that whole group of white liberals who want to say it’s not just about structural problems that black people aren’t doing well, it’s about their own values.”

Kevin Powell, an activist based in New York who travels the country encouraging black men to take responsibility for their lives, said he has no problem with Obama challenging the black community, but . . .

“You also have to challenge the system, just as you challenge the people. It’s not an either/or,” said Powell, president and founder of BK Nation, an organization focused on education and civic engagement.

The Morehouse speech offered an instance of Obama discussing race, a topic he has been criticized for avoiding given his unique vantage point as the country’s first African American president. Some African Americans have been disappointed at Obama’s frequent refrain that he is president of all Americans when asked why he hasn’t specifically addressed problems that afflict many black communities, including chronic unemployment and failing schools.

On this front, A. Scott Bolden, a Washington lawyer and Morehouse graduate, and Coleman, the former speechwriter and Detroit-based writer, offered finger-wagging lectures of their own.

“It’s interesting that President Obama is always asking black people to take responsibility for themselves,” Bolden said. “It would be really nice if he’d take responsibility for black people in his second term.”

Coleman says he’ll find the president’s next commencement speech, scheduled for Friday at the U.S. Naval Academy, particularly instructive. “That will be interesting given the reports of sex harassment in the military,” Coleman said. “Is he going to chide those cadets about addressing the social pathologies in that population?”

Vanessa Williams? As in FORMER MS. AMERICA, Vanessa Williams?

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND

The problem is that there is a disconnectedness between courting and drawing in new voters and getting your average Republican to actually turn out  to vote.

Right and left have never been further apart in my lifetime. As far as GOP policy, it has none because it is a lone and fragile minority at the moment who is surrounded by far left big government types as far as the eye can see. They are a weak check on an out of control executive branch and a radical senate.

The GOP is supposed to stand for limited government, lower taxes, strong national defense, traditional, family oriented, hardworking, red blooded Americans who are rugged individualists.
Every single aspect of what I just wrote is horrifying to a typical democrat.
The Democrat party stands for infinite government, high taxes, a pathetically neutered national defense that is akin to Europe, non traditional relationships flooded with transgender teens, single parents and gay couples adopting kids or tons of promiscuity  between men and women without children or any commitment with tons of abortion clinics to choose from, and Americans who don't even consider themselves Americans and who won't salute the flag or speak English.

How do you reach across the isle when the Democratic parties core constituencies; Blacks, young people, etc  believe in the exact opposite of what you believe in?

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Michelle Obama Decries "Slander" That Educated Blacks Are "Trying To Act White"
CBSNews.com ^ | May 20,2013 | CBSNews.com
Posted on May 20, 2013 6:26:50 AM EDT by Biggirl

During a commencement address at Bowie State University on Friday, first lady Michelle Obama urged the graduates of the historically black university to "please stand up and reject the slander that says a black child with a book is trying to act white," instructing them to "be an example of excellence for the next generation."

(Excerpt) Read more at cbsnews.com ...

It's the truth!

If she doesn't say it, who will?

I'm actually surprised she said something useful.

Thanks 333!