Author Topic: Obama Admn spied on Fox New Reporter  (Read 4651 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama Admn spied on Fox New Reporter
« on: May 20, 2013, 06:42:47 AM »
WaPo: Justice spied on Fox reporter in 2010

posted at 8:01 am on May 20, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Remember the White House war on Fox News in 2009?  By the fall of that year, it had collapsed from overreach; after attempting to block Fox from participating in pool coverage, the rest of the White House press corps revolted, forcing Anita Dunn and others into retreat.  Apparently, the Obama administration found a way to wage that war by other means.  The Washington Post reports that the Department of Justice spied on James Rosen, Fox’s Washington correspondent, in 2010:

When the Justice Department began investigating possible leaks of classified information about North Korea in 2009, investigators did more than obtain telephone records of a working journalist suspected of receiving the secret material.

They used security badge access records to track the reporter’s comings and goings from the State Department, according to a newly obtained court affidavit. They traced the timing of his calls with a State Department security adviser suspected of sharing the classified report. They obtained a search warrant for the reporter’s personal e-mails.

The case of Stephen Jin-Woo Kim, the government adviser, and James Rosen, the chief Washington correspondent for Fox News, bears striking similarities to a sweeping leaks investigation disclosed last week in which federal investigators obtained records over two months of more than 20 telephone lines assigned to the Associated Press.

While not as broad as the Associated Press dragnet of records, the Post emphasizes that this demonstrates the DoJ assault on the AP was not a singular event:

Court documents in the Kim case reveal how deeply investigators explored the private communications of a working journalist — and raise the question of how often journalists have been investigated as closely as Rosen was in 2010. The case also raises new concerns among critics of government secrecy about the possible stifling effect of these investigations on a critical element of press freedom: the exchange of information between reporters and their sources.

In the AP case, the Obama administration insisted that they were looking for the government leaker, not building a prosecution against the reporters.   With Rosen, though, the DoJ made him a target of their investigation:

In the documents, FBI agent Reginald Reyes described in detail how Kim and Rosen moved in and out of the State Department headquarters at 2201 C St. NW a few hours before the story was published on June 11, 2009. …

Reyes wrote that there was evidence Rosen had broken the law, “at the very least, either as an aider, abettor and/or co-conspirator.” That fact distinguishes his case from the probe of the AP, in which the news organization is not the likely target.

Using italics for emphasis, Reyes explained how Rosen allegedly used a “covert communications plan” and quoted from an e-mail exchange between Rosen and Kim that seems to describe a secret system for passing along information.

Get out of town! A reporter used a “covert communications plan” to get information from a source?  Heck, even I did that with the Adscam-Gomert inquiry information I got in 2005 (although not nearly as elaborate as Rosen’s, I must admit), and I seem to recall a couple of guys in Washington who did that in 1973-4 by meeting with a high-ranking FBI source in parking garages.  Basically, a “covert communications plan” could be anything except talking on cellphones in Starbucks about the information.

Had I seen this case last month, I’d have assumed that this had everything to do with the Obama team’s war on Fox News.  Now, after the AP scandal, I’m not sure that’s all that went behind this.  Eric Holder implied in his interview with NPR that spying on reporters has become routine in the Obama administration, so Rosen and Fox are probably not alone.  However, I doubt that Rosen’s employer had nothing to do with this pursuit.  Regardless, every reporter covering this administration has to wonder whether Big Brother Is Listening — or at least reading their e-mails and phone records.  And so does every potential source within the administration.

And that, of course, is the entire point of these intimidation tactics.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Obama Admn spied on Fox New Reporter
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 07:15:05 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/20/obama-doj-james-rosen-criminality

Even liberal reporters are starting to wake up to this marxist communist thug in the WH

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:27:48 AM »
DOJ's Targeting Of Fox News Reporter James Rosen Met With Outrage

The Huffington Post  |  By Jack Mirkinson Posted: 05/20/2013 8:48 am EDT  |  Updated: 05/20/2013 9:00 am EDT

Get Media Alerts:

Follow:

Fox News , AP Scandal , James Rosen , Obama Media , James Rosen Justice Department , James Rosen Spying , Justice Department James Rosen , Media News

A new article about how the Obama administration tracked the movements and correspondence of a Fox News reporter led to a fresh round of condemnation by journalists on Monday.

The Washington Post published an explosive story about the Justice Department's monitoring of James Rosen, a Fox News reporter based in Washington. Rosen allegedly spoke to Stephen Jin-Woo Kim, a State Department contractor, for a story about North Korea's nuclear program. The Justice Department charged Kim with violating the Espionage Act for his contact with Rosen.

Kim's case has already been condemned by critics of the White House's hyper-aggressive approach to leaks, but the details of the DOJ's tracking of Rosen have not been known until now. The Post's Ann E. Marimow laid out the intensity of that monitoring in her article:

The Justice Department used security badge access records to track the reporter’s comings and goings from the State Department, according to a newly obtained court affidavit. They traced the timing of his calls with a State Department security adviser suspected of sharing the classified report. They obtained a search warrant for the reporter’s personal emails.

That goes above and beyond what the Justice Department did when it monitored the Associated Press. There, it looked at phone records, not the actual contents of emails.

Perhaps more chilling, the Post reported that the Justice Department labeled Rosen a "co-conspirator" with Kim because he made an arrangement with him about how to get him information. It's not clear how different these arrangements, which the Post wrote involved things like code names, were from the elaborate arrangements that Bob Woodward made with Deep Throat. Journalists reacted with particular alarm to the notion that Rosen was an "abettor" simply because he pushed for a source to give him information:

There has long been evidence that some government prosecutors do not consider journalists to have heightened levels of protection. In January, for instance, lawyers prosecuting military whistleblower Bradley Manning said that, had he passed information to the New York Times instead of WikiLeaks, he would still be "aiding the enemy." The government has also tried to make the case in the past that WikiLeaks chief Julian Assange could be indicted as a co-conspirator with Manning for receiving his information.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 07:42:16 AM »
"No, no, we shouldn't impeach.   It's cool that obama has massive power and is breaking law on a daily basis.  We get to mock him on message boards."

- Republicans, 2013.

WTF, people?  Impeach already!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 07:44:45 AM »
We should impeach the list of crimes committed by obama is longer than the tax code.

But if you think the GOP wants to be the face of the impeaching obama - aint going to happen - what needs to happen is a few brave democrats jump shit and speak openly about this marxist junta

"No, no, we shouldn't impeach.   It's cool that obama has massive power and is breaking law on a daily basis.  We get to mock him on message boards."

- Republicans, 2013.

WTF, people?  Impeach already!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 07:48:19 AM »
Definition of hypocrite:

The liberals who praised Assange and Bradley Manning for exposing sensitive material, and fell for the "transparency" BS that Obama promised, that are here today condemning Rosen for reporting something sensitive.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 07:51:37 AM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:58:45 AM »
We should impeach the list of crimes committed by obama is longer than the tax code.

But if you think the GOP wants to be the face of the impeaching obama - aint going to happen - what needs to happen is a few brave democrats jump shit and speak openly about this marxist junta

wow... talk about a dickless lack of leadership.   They have the majority of House and the effing LAW on their side.  But they're spineless and won't move until weak shit libs betray their hero Obama?   Wow... I guess police should stop enforcing the law and just wait for criminals to turn each other in?

hahaahaha oh brother, 33, you just made me laugh out loud.  We are now waiting for Reid to spearhead the impeachment because, well, Rubio, Rand, Ryan, and all of the other brave, fearless patriots that love America don't have the balls to mutter the "I-word"?   LMFAO.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 08:05:19 AM »
wow... talk about a dickless lack of leadership.   They have the majority of House and the effing LAW on their side.  But they're spineless and won't move until weak shit libs betray their hero Obama?   Wow... I guess police should stop enforcing the law and just wait for criminals to turn each other in?

hahaahaha oh brother, 33, you just made me laugh out loud.  We are now waiting for Reid to spearhead the impeachment because, well, Rubio, Rand, Ryan, and all of the other brave, fearless patriots that love America don't have the balls to mutter the "I-word"?   LMFAO.

I am being realistic here, not what i want to see. 

Obama is cancer on this nation

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 08:05:55 AM »

- Republicans, 2013.

No shit.  Republicans are just scared shitless of Obama.  

GOP = Pussies.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 08:43:10 AM »
The Obama Administration’s Two-Front War on Fox

By  John Fund

May 20, 2013 9:50 AM

The Washington Post is reporting that the Justice Department took extraordinary steps to investigate Fox News reporter James Rosen for possible leaks of classified information about North Korea:”It used security badge access records to track the reporter’s comings and goings from the State Department, according to a newly obtained court affidavit. They traced the timing of his calls with a State Department security adviser suspected of sharing the classified report. They obtained a search warrant for the reporter’s personal e-mails.”

Context is everything. The very same month Justice’s probe into Rosen’s story began, the Obama administration’s war on Fox News began. As NRO’s Eliana Johnson has reported:

In June of 2009, the president complained about a “certain cable network” devoted entirely to attacking his administration. Four months later, former White House communications director Anita Dunn in 2009 said of Fox, “We’re going to treat them the way we would treat an opponent,” adding, “We don’t need to pretend that this is the way that legitimate news organizations behave.” The administration went on to try to exclude Fox from the network pool that covers the White House, making a recent appointee — pay czar Kenneth Feinberg — available for interviews to every network but Fox. When the other networks refused to conduct the interview until Fox was included, the White House relented. But the verbal assault continued, with Obama telling Rolling Stone magazine in 2010 that the network represents a point of view that is “ultimately destructive for the long-term growth of a country that has a vibrant middle class and is competitive  in the world.”

The public war that the Obama administration waged against Fox News was ugly enough. Perhaps with the Washington Post story we are now seeing the tip of the iceberg regarding the administration’s private war against Fox News.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 08:44:27 AM »
I am being realistic here, not what i want to see.  

Obama is cancer on this nation

and republicans are the highly trained doctors with a scalpel who won't touch the cancer patient until he gets out his own switchblade and tries to scrape off his own skin cancer and ends up in the ER bleeding.

And Americans are the family of the cancer patient begging the doctor to operate.  Doc won't because he doesn't want to be blamed if the surgery doesn't go well.  He'll operate in an emergency capacity, but cares more about his own reputation than the survival of, oh, his country!!!

so in this case, please, never ever tell us to vote for any of these dickless politicians who won't stand up and say "So, hey guys, ya think maybe impeachment might be an option, given all the lawbreaking?"   Please never tell us how Rand is awesome or Cruz is the future.  They're all scared of obama.  If they can't stand up to a kenyan lawbreaker like Obama, how in the world can we count on them to face down china, iran, NKorea?  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:45:51 AM »
and republicans are the highly trained doctors with a scalpel who won't touch the cancer patient until he gets out his own switchblade and tries to scrape off his own skin cancer and ends up in the ER bleeding.

And Americans are the family of the cancer patient begging the doctor to operate.  Doc won't because he doesn't want to be blamed if the surgery doesn't go well.  He'll operate in an emergency capacity, but cares more about his own reputation than the survival of, oh, his country!!!

so in this case, please, never ever tell us to vote for any of these dickless politicians who won't stand up and say "So, hey guys, ya think maybe impeachment might be an option, given all the lawbreaking?"   Please never tell us how Rand is awesome or Cruz is the future.  They're all scared of obama.  If they can't stand up to a kenyan lawbreaker like Obama, how in the world can we count on them to face down china, iran, NKorea?  

wHY DO YOU LET THE DEMOCRATS OFF THE HOOK ON THIS? 

I agree about the GOP, but why do you ignore the democraps kneepadding obama's crime spree?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 08:50:22 AM »

I agree about the GOP, but why do you ignore the democraps kneepadding obama's crime spree?

I completely concede that all dems in power are dickless, pathetic spinless wimps that do whatever obama tells them.  ALl should be voted out of office.
However, I also stand by my assertion that IF/WHEN impeachment starts, they're all rats, and many will fold on him - they did it to clinton.

From minute one, you've been blaming reid, and now saying dems should spearhead it.  That's delusional to think any party would impeach the president from their own party. That just shows a very naive understanding of politics.  HIstorically, it is the opposing party that gets the ball rolling.  Then, of course, rats betray their leader.

But hey - if you want to tell us Rand paul and Cruz are bold, brave, and awesome leaders that don't fear obama, you do that.  but we know it's not true.

It's their DUTY to call for obama to be impeached.  Today lol.  Not next year.  Today.  Since they won't, I guess we can all have a circle jerk here about unbrella-gate.  Just please, remember in 2016, that when repubs actually had obama on the ropes with impeacheable crimes - they refused to even mutter the word

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:51:30 AM »
they are afraid on black riots in the cities since obama will incite this as a racial witchhunt

I completely concede that all dems in power are dickless, pathetic spinless wimps that do whatever obama tells them.  ALl should be voted out of office.
However, I also stand by my assertion that IF/WHEN impeachment starts, they're all rats, and many will fold on him - they did it to clinton.

From minute one, you've been blaming reid, and now saying dems should spearhead it.  That's delusional to think any party would impeach the president from their own party. That just shows a very naive understanding of politics.  HIstorically, it is the opposing party that gets the ball rolling.  Then, of course, rats betray their leader.

But hey - if you want to tell us Rand paul and Cruz are bold, brave, and awesome leaders that don't fear obama, you do that.  but we know it's not true.

It's their DUTY to call for obama to be impeached.  Today lol.  Not next year.  Today.  Since they won't, I guess we can all have a circle jerk here about unbrella-gate.  Just please, remember in 2016, that when repubs actually had obama on the ropes with impeacheable crimes - they refused to even mutter the word

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 08:53:26 AM »
they are afraid on black riots in the cities since obama will incite this as a racial witchhunt

Rand and Cruz fear black riots?  Link?  Did you just come up with this?

Repubs won't do it because they're scared of lawbreakers? 

Were there riots when clinton was impeached?  What american cities burned?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 08:58:33 AM »
The Impeachment Option
 Jason Chaffetz raises the prospect.

By

Robert Costa

Representative Jason Chaffetz, a Utah Republican, says President Barack Obama may face impeachment over his administration’s response to the Benghazi attack.

“They purposefully and willfully misled the American people, and that’s unacceptable,” Chaffetz tells me. “It’s part of a pattern of deception.”

Behind the scenes, he says, House Republicans are frustrated by the White House’s evasiveness, and the calls for impeachment will likely increase.

Chaffetz acknowledges that House speaker John Boehner is wary of moving too swiftly against the president, but the brash, 46-year-old conservative is tired of waiting for answers. He’s ready to issue subpoenas and schedule more hearings.

His chief concern is that the White House, which he says is staffed by “self-preservationists,” seems to be hiding documents related to the attack and the president’s decisions, in order to protect the administration from scrutiny.

“They’ve released 100 emails, but there are thousands of documents that we still need to see,” he says. “The truth gets colder as time goes on, so we need to stay vigilant.”

“Now, the speaker has more patience than I do,” Chaffetz says. “He has told me to be patient, that the truth will eventually surface. But I’m not a patient person, and if this administration makes us do this the hard way, that’s what we’ll do.”

Chaffetz’s tension with the White House has been building for months, ever since he took a fact-finding trip to Libya last October, less than a month after the terrorist attack. During that visit, he huddled with several U.S. diplomats, including Gregory Hicks, a former deputy chief of the Libya mission.

But the heavy-handed tactics of the president’s advisers, he complains, sullied his investigation from the start. He worries that allies of Obama and former secretary of state Hillary Clinton have inappropriately pressured his sources — and restricted his access. “They’ve obstructed me from doing my congressional duty,” he says. “When I went over there, a State Department babysitter intimidated me and many others.”

“The State Department had people watching my every move,” he recalls. “But even as they watched me like a hawk, I was able to see how ill-prepared the embassy was for an attack. There were walls that weren’t very tall, and trees that could be climbed. One of the walls was so low that some people were able to prop up a ladder to dump trash on our embassy’s grounds. I asked one of my guides why that was allowed, and he shook his head and said, ‘Well, I guess we just didn’t want to offend the neighbors.’”

But the worst part of the journey, Chaffetz says, was having State Department lawyer Jeremy Freeman along, shadowing him through every meeting. Hicks and other U.S. diplomats, he says, were effectively muzzled by his presence. “And at one point, Hicks had to leave a meeting, only to be chastised over the phone by Cheryl Mills, Hillary Clinton’s top adviser,” he says. “It was unsettling — to see, up close, the depths to which Secretary Clinton was willing to go to manipulate the process.”

Chaffetz says he has relayed these stories to his Republican colleagues, especially after Hicks testified before the House oversight committee earlier this month. Chaffetz says the conversations about his experiences have stirred unease, and he expects members to press the White House for details on how officials may have obstructed Congress.

“The White House likes to say that our questions are a political sideshow, but it seems like it was their politics that caused a lot of the problems,” Chaffetz says. “Hicks testified about being suppressed from saying much to me during my trip, so it’s not like we’re running roughshod.”

Over the weekend, White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer appeared on the Sunday talk shows and defended the administration. When asked about the editing of national-security talking points and the president’s conduct on the night of the attack, Pfeiffer argued that the administration was engaged and acted responsibility.

Chaffetz doesn’t buy it. “This is an administration embroiled in a scandal that they created,” he says. “It’s a cover-up. I’m not saying impeachment is the end game, but it’s a possibility, especially if they keep doing little to help us learn more.”

Look for Chaffetz, the chairman of the oversight committee’s subcommittee on national security, to lead the fight for accountability as the controversy — and talk of impeachment proceedings — escalates.

In the meantime, he’s trying to get back to Libya.

“Unless you go out there and kick the tires, you’ll never really get the proper perspective,” he says. “I’ve been kicking them for a while, but this is only the beginning. I’m going to spend months finding out the truth, and do whatever it takes.”

— Robert Costa is National Review’s Washington editor.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 09:01:14 AM »
The Impeachment Option
 Jason Chaffetz raises the prospect.

By

Robert Costa

Representative Jason Chaffetz, a Utah Republican, says President Barack Obama may face impeachment over his administration’s response to the Benghazi attack.

“They purposefully and willfully misled the American people, and that’s unacceptable,” Chaffetz tells me. “It’s part of a pattern of deception.”

Behind the scenes, he says, House Republicans are frustrated by the White House’s evasiveness, and the calls for impeachment will likely increase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Chaffetz

Jason Chaffetz is an American hero!

Also hilarious:
Chaffetz appeared on the "Better Know A District" segment of The Colbert Report on 6 January 2009, where he was defeated by Stephen Colbert in leg wrestling.[32]

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 09:15:56 AM »

It's sad, really. Here is he trying to spin this onto the Republicans instead of directing his outrage at Obama. He's a C*NT shill.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 09:18:23 AM »

link proof source

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 09:18:31 AM »
It's sad, really. Here is he trying to spin this onto the Republicans instead of directing his outrage at Obama. He's a C*NT shill.

???  LOL... I'm probably the loudest getbigger saying obama really should be impeached for this stuff.  It's true.  I think he's broken enough laws with the spying and IRS already.  Toss in benghazi - letting americans die while he partied with Jay-Z and held off help?  That's disgraceful.  

The impeachment calls started with Jason Chaffertz, a republican.  Let's hope cruz and rubio and rand and all the others step up and agree.  I dislike them following mccain and graham and collins with "oh, impeachment is just silly" because obama feeds all the wars they love.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »
link proof source

Its an unspoken truth and you know it.  They are scared shit of 1992 la riots happening again and obama being tossed into jail would do it. 

The entire under tone of the Obama Admn has been one of racial threats and accusations.   The media has always gone soft on his solely to protect him as they are the ones who wanted the 1st black potus, regardless of whether a radical leftist pos of obama.  They helped elect him and now that he has proven every bit the incompetent worthless slug many of us said from day 1, they have to cover for him.

Additionally, ever notice when obama starts running into trouble he gins up the racial hatred o whites again like he did yesterday?   

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 09:33:19 AM »
No shit.  Republicans are just scared shitless of Obama.  

GOP = Pussies.  

LOL....I take him about as seriously as I take gimmicks on getbig. Again, anyone who supports him show's a lack of morals, honesty and integrity. He doesn't just need to be impeached, the entire administration including Obama needs to be removed. If he was charged and convicted on even a quarter of the laws he has broken he would be spending his remaining days in prison. This is FACT!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »
LOL....I take him about as seriously as I take gimmicks on getbig. Again, anyone who supports him show's a lack of morals, honesty and integrity. He doesn't just need to be impeached, the entire administration including Obama needs to be removed. If he was charged and convicted on even a quarter of the laws he has broken he would be spending his remaining days in prison. This is FACT!

Coach, 333386 and 240.   Getbiggers who are calling for obama impeachment.   Any others?   ???

Coach, please visit the jason Chaffertz appreciation thread.  He's a congressman calling for impeachment - the only one, I believe!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 09:37:43 AM »

Coach, 333386 and 240.   Getbiggers who are calling for obama impeachment.   Any others?   ???

Coach, please visit the jason Chaffertz appreciation thread.  He's a congressman calling for impeachment - the only one, I believe!

I'm not calling for impeachment, I'm calling for removal.