Author Topic: Sleep Apnea/Snoring  (Read 1914 times)

peroni

• Getbig III
Sleep Apnea/Snoring
« on: May 21, 2013, 04:17:10 AM »
Any of you guys have it? What do you do for it? I apparently breath a few breaths and then stop for 5 seconds or so until I get startled awake by the lack of oxygen and gasp for a breath. I'm absolutely exhausted.

I tried nasal dilators, a nose strip,  a mouthpiece, etc but nothing works very well.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Re: Sleep Apnea/Snoring
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 04:21:42 AM »
Don't sleep.

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 04:43:51 AM »
Any of you guys have it? What do you do for it? I apparently breath a few breaths and then stop for 5 seconds or so until I get startled awake by the lack of oxygen and gasp for a breath. I'm absolutely exhausted.

I tried nasal dilators, a nose strip,  a mouthpiece, etc but nothing works very well.

sleep on your stomach
I

Stephano

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 04:52:29 AM »
If serious, it can be deadly.  Seek medical attention & get the surgery if it's advised.  Stay away from sedatives as though your life depended on it.  This means no alcohol, no painkillers, etc.

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 05:59:40 AM »
lately when i'm halfway asleep i can hear myself snoring,scared the shit out of me...thought that i didn't snore
T

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 09:24:43 AM »

I tried nasal dilators, a nose strip,  a mouthpiece, etc but nothing works very well.

man, how old are you?  5 secs isn't an apnea event.  they last for 10 secs or more.  that sounds like periodic breathing of an infant.

if you're not insured, you can get one for $700, or check around for clinics or hospitals doing research.  You can get in a program for free and make a couple of bucks while getting treated.

problems are hypertension, tachy and other abnormal rhythms, HBP, insomnia, etc.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »
i sometimes snore so hard that, that dangly thing at the back of my throat gets stretched so much it spends the rest of the day lying on the back of my tongue  :D feels very weird to say the least

the missus snores like a right fucker too  :-\

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 10:04:52 AM »
Sleep on your side

NOT ON YOUR BACK

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »
You are overweight.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 11:06:31 AM »
You are overweight.

Yes what are your stats OP? (include bicep size as well.)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 11:56:30 AM »
You are overweight.

I think this is true the majority of the time.  However, i have sleep apnea and i'm around 8% bodyfat.  The problem for me is the size of my neck.  The Doctor i saw told me that men with large necks have a higher chance for apnea.  Mine measures 18.5" when i'm lean.

Now i may be "overweight" as in i'm much heavier than a man my age is supposed to be, but i'm not fat my any means.  My BMI is terrible for my height, but at 215 pounds and 8-9% bodyfat there isn't much else i can do besides stop working out or stop using AAS.

8)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 01:10:46 PM »

eat right, don't work your neck.
F

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »
Went to a sleep clinic.  They tried to see if I could wear one of those masks......  I wanted to freak out.  I gave me crazy anxiety and I ended the study after about an hour and a half... 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 01:21:30 PM »
Went to a sleep clinic.  They tried to see if I could wear one of those masks......  I wanted to freak out.  I gave me crazy anxiety and I ended the study after about an hour and a half... 
:)the original perma-bulker RIP big anthony.
F

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 06:28:02 PM »

Crazy anxiety?  You weren't tired enough, imo.  I did my sleep study when I was so tired I could have slept standing up.  As it was, I slept the entire time on my back (something I never do normally) and was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea.  My sleep apnea is apparently so bad they needed to give me a bi-PAP machine (instead of the regular C-PAP machine) because the pressure needed to keep my airways open was higher than what could be achieved with the C-PAP.

BTW, there are a variety of different masks you can use.  I, unfortunately, have to use the big one that covers both the nose and mouth (reminds me of a fighter pilot getup) because my nose is frequently stuffed up. 

I've only had my machine (which ended up costing about a grand WITH insurance) for about 2 months but it definitely makes me sleep better.  I sleep for longer periods of time (about 3 hours at a time vs 1 hour) and I feel much more rested in the morning. 

I have to admit that the machine can be freakin' annoying, though.  It sucks when, because I've moved too much during sleep, the mask will become a little dislodged so that there's a leak towards the top that's shooting high-pressured air at my eye for as long as it takes to wake me up.  Also, it makes a Darth Vader-like noise that annoys my wife a little bit.  (Not as much as my snoring used to do, though.) 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »
i sometimes snore so hard that, that dangly thing at the back of my throat gets stretched so much it spends the rest of the day lying on the back of my tongue  :D feels very weird to say the least

Something like this used to happen to me, too.  When I was getting checked out by my doc for a completely unrelated issue (partial ab tear), the doctor noticed my throat was red/raw and asked if I snored a lot and told me that throat issues are often a tell-tale sign of sleep apnea.  So I did a sleep study and now use a breathing machine that's pretty much stopped all snoring and makes my sleep much more restful.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 06:39:10 PM »
Magnesium helps a bit.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 06:54:47 PM »
Sleep on your side is the best bet, I have it bad.
L

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 06:12:09 AM »
Yes what are your stats OP? (include bicep size as well.)

6'3 265lbs, 4pct BF, 17 inch cock limp, millions in the bank, and am a personal trainer. Just like every getbigger...

Seriously, 6' 230 on juice, 215 off, 11pct bf,  44 years old

I have bad allergies as well as a touch of asthma from time to time.
Last night I put on a nasal strip which opened up my nasal airway enormously, put in the nasal dilators, put in a anti snoring mouthpiece, took a zertec, showered... My wife said there was still some snoring but no apnea episodes and I'll say that this morning I feel like a new man!

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 06:15:32 AM »
Sounds like a nightmare.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 06:41:18 AM »
the root cause of snoring is a lack of character

hth
K

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 07:10:19 AM »
i sometimes snore so hard that, that dangly thing at the back of my throat gets stretched so much it spends the rest of the day lying on the back of my tongue  :D feels very weird to say the least

the missus snores like a right fucker too  :-\

It's called uvulitis, I used to have bouts of it in the past all the time.  I've had it so bad that my uvula literally inflammed and stretched and sucked up into a nasal passage in my throat.  Haven't had an instance of uvulitis in very long time.  Reason being is that I don't stress like I used to and my sleep is drastically improved because of it....no more uvulitis.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 07:52:21 AM »
I think this is true the majority of the time.  However, i have sleep apnea and i'm around 8% bodyfat.  The problem for me is the size of my neck.  The Doctor i saw told me that men with large necks have a higher chance for apnea.  Mine measures 18.5" when i'm lean.

Now i may be "overweight" as in i'm much heavier than a man my age is supposed to be, but i'm not fat my any means.  My BMI is terrible for my height, but at 215 pounds and 8-9% bodyfat there isn't much else i can do besides stop working out or stop using AAS.

8)

Forget fat, forget BMI.  Overweight period.  Muscles or fat mass both put a strain on your internals.  How many large bodybuilders live past 60?  Living the healthy lifestyle  ::)

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »
It's called uvulitis, I used to have bouts of it in the past all the time.  I've had it so bad that my uvula literally inflammed and stretched and sucked up into a nasal passage in my throat.  Haven't had an instance of uvulitis in very long time.  Reason being is that I don't stress like I used to and my sleep is drastically improved because of it....no more uvulitis.

hey, thanks for that info.  :) i never knew that.. when i think about it, it was at a time i was stressed/anxiety, bad panic attacks. i've managed to get that under some control so know more stretchy thing for a while  ;D

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 09:28:38 AM »
Forget fat, forget BMI.  Overweight period.  Muscles or fat mass both put a strain on your internals.  How many large bodybuilders live past 60?  Living the healthy lifestyle  ::)

Most of the time this is the case, however, I have it pretty bad, as does my dad, brother and our grandfather.  In my case it's genetics, my nasal canals are too small (not a problem in my throat) so when I sleep the muscles keeping them open relax and I stop breathing every 3 seconds.  I had a sleep study done, spent two nights there and have slept way better now with a C-PAP machine for the past 5 years.