Author Topic: Men's Physique: The future of professional bodybuilding??  (Read 10712 times)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Men's Physique: The future of professional bodybuilding??
« on: May 28, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »
While I know that the Men's Physique division isn't necessarily what the IFBB had been moving towards throughout the better portion of the last 15-20 years, it certainly is the look that I think the founders of bodybuilding were striving for.

After you answer that, consider the fact that bodybuilding is supposed to be about building a functional body that promotes a healthy lifestyle through proper nutrition and weight training.

Under the IFBB constitution, article 5:Objective 2, it states that one of their objectives is to:

To promote an interest in, and a dedication to, better health and fitness through physical culture, proper nutrition, and weight training.

(Source: http://www.ifbb.com/pdf/constitution.pdf)

If we look at the objectives found in the constitution of the IFBB, it would seem logical that the Men's Physique Division is probably going to be the future of mainstream bodybuilding, as more of the masses will find it to be:

More visually appealing (How many youngsters want to become a 250+ pound mass monster?)

Practical in daily functions (Not many IFBB pros can actually wear a regular suit and/or business casual clothing without looking slightly odd)

Much healthier than the current crop of professional bodybuilding (While the Men's Physique contestants most certainly use PED's, they probably do so at levels that are much better tolerated by the human body, as opposed to the tremendous strain Insulin, Diuretics and heavy hormonal substances place on the body's physiology)

Besides it being accepted much easier by the masses, it's potential to put less strain on the human body's endocrine system and the fact that it is "arguably" visually and functionally more appealing, why else would people continue to seek out to be a MASS monster?

Some will argue that being a mass monster involves more than just steroids and that it truly gets down to the fact that being strong & powerful plays a large role in the desire to be that big, but, truthfully, professional bodybuilders are NOT power-lifters and generally speaking lift within ranges that are very attainable by naturals that are both well-disciplined and well-nourished.

So what other reasons are there for aspiring bodybuilders to seek out the look of say a Phil Heath versus a Sadik Hadzovic?

Maybe it's because I am older (mid-late 40's) and seek to have a functional physique that allows me to (A) wear a suit or normal clothing, (B) have a body that allows me to run a half a mile without becoming winded or even take part in combat sports, (C) have a body that won't come at the cost of high blood pressure or potential development of diabetes in the long run and (D) a body that when in the "off-season" will actually look healthy as opposed to heavily bloated, that I aspire to look more like the latter (Men's Physique look).

What's your take GetBig? Will the Men's Physique Division be the future of professional bodybuilding? Will the bodybuilders of today survive the evolution of bodybuilding?

"1"

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
Re: Men's Physique: The future of professional bodybuilding??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:49:22 AM »
Wow. Phil's strange physique looks even stranger and more awkward if you look at Sandow first and then at him. Look's like he has an illness.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:59:33 AM »
What I ask myself is how they will be able to differentiate top tier from lower tier competitors since the physiques are more easily attained than in pro bbing. Will most likely come down to looks imo.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:03:51 AM »
Wow. Phil's strange physique looks even stranger and more awkward if you look at Sandow first and then at him. Look's like he has an illness.

What's even stranger is that in person, most professional bodybuilders look exaggeratedly bigger than even the above-average muscular person (person with a solid amount of muscle and generous fat). So much so, that the public eye doesn't see it as aesthetically appealing, but instead sees it like that of a science experiment.

While I am a huge fan of professional bodybuilding, I do believe that the trend towards bigger being better is slowly coming to an end. If you listen in on guys like Shawn Ray and even Bobby Chic, both will tell you that judges are looking more towards physiques like Dexter Jackson's. They want physiques that are free of the gH-gut, less blocky and instead more vascular and defined with classic lines and transition between muscles that makes it all come together gracefully.

Besides the fact that it would attract the attention of the mainstream media and also the general public, the inception of the Men's Physique Division has to have had more behind it.

Why create a division that strays strongly from the modern day practices of bodybuilding?

Again, these are just minor observations. I'd like to know what others think about this trend of change.

"1"

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 10:08:29 AM »
looks like sandow was playing up to the 'schmoes'with that leaf he was sporting...

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:09:26 AM »
the top physiques displayed mens physique, not just competitively, but in every day life have more appeal than these grotesque, sweating, lumbering behemoths/chemical waste sites with huge 40' waists at 4% bf.

mens bodybuilding long stopped being about building the ideal, eye pleasing, most symmetrical muscular physique and has become a circus sideshow.

the physiques in mens physique are attainable to the average guy, its 'healthy' looking, and i think thats what will make it so appealing to the mainstream. as far as im concerned mens bodybuilding took a turn for the worse in the early 90's.

bodybuilding is a dinosaur that is slowly becoming extinct, its just that nobody has told the dinosaurs yet.
b

the trainer

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:17:22 AM »
Bodybuilding is an underground sport it will never be mainstream so forget that, I think most fans will agree that pro bodybuilding is about the freak factor we want to look at a body and say holy shit, you can never say that while looking at a male model type of body.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »
Bodybuilding is an underground sport it will never be mainstream so forget that, I think most fans will agree that pro bodybuilding is about the freak factor we want to look at a body and say holy shit, you can never say that while looking at a male model type of body.

Exactly.

Its best to keep obsessions with ones own body on the down low. Only thing I see is more people competing in this division nothing else.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
the top physiques displayed mens physique, not just competitively, but in every day life have more appeal than these grotesque, sweating, lumbering behemoths/chemical waste sites with huge 40' waists at 4% bf.

mens bodybuilding long stopped being about building the ideal, eye pleasing, most symmetrical muscular physique and has become a circus sideshow.

the physiques in mens physique are attainable to the average guy, its 'healthy' looking, and i think thats what will make it so appealing to the mainstream. as far as im concerned mens bodybuilding took a turn for the worse in the early 90's.

bodybuilding is a dinosaur that is slowly becoming extinct, its just that nobody has told the dinosaurs yet.

I agree with the majority of what you said.

Question is, when will the dinosaurs of today become extinct and completely replaced by the Men's Physique pros of today?

By the way, I have discussed this topic with a few IFBB pros and even they feel that this might be the new wave of the future when it comes to bodybuilding.

"1"

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »

Question is, when will the dinosaurs of today become extinct and completely replaced by the Men's Physique pros of today?

By the way, I have discussed this topic with a few IFBB pros and even they feel that this might be the new wave of the future when it comes to bodybuilding.

"1"
BIG RAMY PROVED THE THEORY NOT IN THAT DIRECTION THO,,,

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 10:29:11 AM »
My only beef with MP is the avoidance of leg training. If the MP division is about achieving the truly ideal physique, leg development should be just as important as arms or chest or back I know one organization has them wear some shorter shorts so you can at least see some leg development...I think the IFBB MP division should adopt this dress code.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 10:30:56 AM »
So why are the twinks taking over bodybuilding?

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 10:33:12 AM »
What's even stranger is that in person, most professional bodybuilders look exaggeratedly bigger than even the above-average muscular person (person with a solid amount of muscle and generous fat). So much so, that the public eye doesn't see it as aesthetically appealing, but instead sees it like that of a science experiment.

While I am a huge fan of professional bodybuilding, I do believe that the trend towards bigger being better is slowly coming to an end. If you listen in on guys like Shawn Ray and even Bobby Chic, both will tell you that judges are looking more towards physiques like Dexter Jackson's. They want physiques that are free of the gH-gut, less blocky and instead more vascular and defined with classic lines and transition between muscles that makes it all come together gracefully.

Besides the fact that it would attract the attention of the mainstream media and also the general public, the inception of the Men's Physique Division has to have had more behind it.

Why create a division that strays strongly from the modern day practices of bodybuilding?

Again, these are just minor observations. I'd like to know what others think about this trend of change.

"1"

Probably the main intention was widening the market for supplements and training equipment and sadly less so with the intent of changing bodybuilding.

But bodybuilding and aestethics has drifted apart like contintents, and now it is more apparent with this splash of a new division. Once it was one and the same. You can just hope that bodybuilding is affected by the ripples.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »
FUCK YOU
No man, my shotgun will not let anyone in my rear door.

French

• Getbig IV
  • Solana @ 2000$
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 10:39:09 AM »
 8)
$

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »

"1"

No, I do think men's physique will take over more of mainstream marketing that companies put out because that is what will sell to the  general public, but there will always be a spot on stage for the freaks. As much as folks lament the passing of the Bob Paris's, Frank Zane's, Arnold's, etc...... looks of the past. There is still part of us that truly enjoy the freaks. Whether it be to fein disgust with the direction of it or to marvel at the pushing of the envelope in terms of human development, this is a hobby that loves freaks.

I doubt we'll see a fast change from that.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 10:47:36 AM »
Instead of an enormous physique that I can aspire to, but never achieve, now there is a much smaller, ripped physique that I can aspire to, but never achieve. #winning.

Agent69

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »
Mens Physique will not replace bbing.never...
bodybuilding will always be the way it is-and a mens physique body is the way it is and way to easy to attain- so there is alot of them a dime a dozen nothing special to see--like bikini there will be thousands of them..-alot of people will like it and alot of people will think its a joke..i think they look good but to me its a average easy look that isnt hard to get-with guys in there 20s dominating....  for me mens physique is boring and just a bunch of beach bodies..doing 1/4 turns.....take away the mens bbing at Olympia and see how many people go watch the Mens Physique Olympia...not to many..It is good in the sence that the guys dont have to do as much drugs(but most are still all doin gear-gh-anti estros diretics ect) ..theres just nothing to see that has the wow factor.so to me its very boring and a bit of a joke to see some of the guys that look hillarious with huge egos..lol

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 11:04:13 AM »
yes time for a cleansing

time to get rid of the dead wood

if these fellows can sell powders then they'll be taking over....hmmm?
"

juggerburn

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »
I believe the men's physique guys are not impressive at all. Literally anyone can look like them, just take steroids. I believe there is a happy medium between looking like an average juice monkey, and a grotesque, bloated bodybuilder. The bodybuilders of the 70's, 80's, and 90's were both impressive and aesthetic (debatable obviously) The guys we see today are a joke, but we don't have to regress to men's physique lol.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 11:13:57 AM »
Pro bodybuilding is dying. It's biggest time in popularity was during the late 70's and 80's. Men's Health magazine out sells all bodybuilding magazines combined. When Men's Health uses a model to demonstrate exercises it's always a men's physique type model. Truth be told the minute men's physique gets really popular the race will be on to up the dosage to win.

In terms of physique, where in sports do you see bodybuilding type physiques? I'll answer my question, no where. The best physiques are sprinters, gymnasts, football players, obviously not linemen; olympic lifters, obviously not super heavy weights, MMA, wrestlers and boxers.

I think bodybuilding fans have a warped impression of what's a good physique. They are so use to seeing pro drug bloated bodybuilding cosmetic muscle that when they see a real athlete they think, what a crap physique.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 11:17:59 AM »
FUCK YOU

hahah speaking of twinks
b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »
Instead of an enormous physique that I can aspire to, but never achieve, now there is a much smaller, ripped physique that I can aspire to, but never achieve. #winning.

:D
b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 11:20:04 AM »
I believe the men's physique guys are not impressive at all. Literally anyone can look like them, just take steroids. I believe there is a happy medium between looking like an average juice monkey, and a grotesque, bloated bodybuilder. The bodybuilders of the 70's, 80's, and 90's were both impressive and aesthetic (debatable obviously) The guys we see today are a joke, but we don't have to regress to men's physique lol.

ya, im sure you look just like a top physique competitor.  ::)

the ignorant shit you see on message boards is really quite unbelievable at times.
b

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 11:21:10 AM »
Pro bodybuilding is dying. It's biggest time in popularity was during the late 70's and 80's. Men's Health magazine out sells all bodybuilding magazines combined. When Men's Health uses a model to demonstrate exercises it's always a men's physique type model. Truth be told the minute men's physique gets really popular the race will be on to up the dosage to win.

In terms of physique, where in sports do you see bodybuilding type physiques? I'll answer my question, no where. The best physiques are sprinters, gymnasts, football players, obviously not linemen; olympic lifters, obviously not super heavy weights, MMA, wrestlers and boxers.

I think bodybuilding fans have a warped impression of what's a good physique. They are so use to seeing pro drug bloated bodybuilding cosmetic muscle that when they see a real athlete they think, what a crap physique.
Bbing's heyday was the 90s...Period. That is when they had bbing shows, and bbing was seen on ESPN, NBC and UPN (now CW).

Today's bbing are freaks, and nothing more. Phil Heath looked his best during his rookie yr, as do most bbers.

The Men's Physique division has physiques that look better and that one would like to obtain. Aside from JOJ's chest and Phil Heath's arms, there is nothing about today's bbing physiques that is worth admiring or saying that you'd want to look like.

Also, there are more people who look like the Physique Division than the bbing Division, which means less drugs, etc is/are needed. And more opportunities for modeling, and let's not forget a healthier lifestyle.