Author Topic: Re: Wife An RN: Email From Her CEO...Read it!  (Read 579 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Wife An RN: Email From Her CEO...Read it!
« on: May 28, 2013, 12:42:38 PM »
I took this from another forum I read, check this out:

Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:00 PM
To: St John Health System All
Subject: Important Message regarding Cost Restructuring

Dear Associate:

The St. John Health System, similar to many healthcare organizations across the country, is experiencing significant change. Common themes in this new environment include lack of public funding, a fluctuating and uncertain economic climate and a decrease in the number of patients seeking some of our healthcare services.

We face the reality that Oklahoma’s decision not to participate in Medicaid expansion (or some other publicly funded program) will result in significantly lower payments from government sources for the services we provide. It also means the already high number of uninsured Oklahomans will not be reduced.

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is designed to offer health coverage for uninsured citizens by expanding each state’s Medicaid program. Oklahoma opted out of the ACA’s Medicaid expansion. This will make Oklahoma a donor state, with the money generated from reduced Medicare payments to doctors and hospitals going to other states’ Medicaid expansion rather than helping 150,000 to 180,000 Oklahomans gain access to health insurance. The anticipated impact of this statewide decision to St. John is expected to be a loss of up to $20 million annually in Medicaid reimbursement for the service we provide. In addition, ACA Medicare payment cuts, combined with additional federal sequestration cuts, means the health system will receive up to $15 million less in Medicare payments next year.

Tulsa hospitals already provide more than $175 million in uncompensated care each year. The St. John Health System alone accounts for approximately $60 million of that total. With Medicare cuts already in place, and no Medicaid or other expansion of coverage on its way, St. John and other Oklahoma hospitals and physicians are faced with less revenue, but the same number of uninsured patients.

Adding to this difficult environment is the potential that Insure Oklahoma, which provides affordable state and federally funded healthcare to employers and individuals, will not be renewed. This could significantly increase the number of uninsured Oklahomans.

As good stewards in ensuring the health system’s success in the coming years, we must face our economic realities and take measures to proactively address this situation now. Over the next three weeks, we will implement a plan to strategically restructure the workforce, resulting in position eliminations of approximately 2 to 3 percent of our associates by the end of June. This unfortunate but necessary step is required to reset staffing at appropriate levels based on our current and anticipated rates of patient utilization and reimbursement.

Coming to this conclusion has not been easy. We recognize that a workforce restructuring of this nature will negatively affect the lives of many of our friends and colleagues. To minimize the impact, any eligible associates whose positions are eliminated will receive a competitive severance package. This will include severance pay, benefit continuation during the severance period, and priority placement when applying for open positions within the health system.

Overcoming obstacles in an uncertain future is challenging, and requires steadfast commitment from all of you. Thank you for your continued commitment to preserving the long-term viability of the St. John Health System.

I will keep closely connected with you as we move forward.

Regards,

David J. Pynn
President and Chief Executive Officer
St. John Health System

In addition, to this email. My wife has been approached by a nursing manager 'strongly encouraging' her to sign a petition supporting ACA to be sent to the Oklahoma Governor.

When my wife refused, her immediate supervisor was questioned about my wife's performance and her personal life. Including our political affiliations.

This is mother fucking Marxist bullshit.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:19:22 PM »
you won't hear a peep out of any liberal shithead on this board.  this kind if shit is just too real for them.  they only want to hear bullshit ra ra slogans like "yes we can" and watch gay couples get married.  real life and real problems are not their concern.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 01:33:20 PM »
People won't understand the impact of this until it fully hits.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 01:36:52 PM »
Document all this and if I were you have her tape any official interaction with her boss on this stuff. If you get actual video or audio documenting them trying to do this or trying to force her to do anything...I can put you in contact with folks at Fox who will eat this up.
L

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »
This is just the beginning of this stuff. Wait until the small business owners that struggle to keep 5-20 employees on benefits see the increases and just can't provide for it anymore.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 11:20:22 PM »
People won't understand the impact of this until it fully hits.

Just like in the financial & currency markets.  ::)
w

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 04:53:54 AM »
This is just the beginning of this stuff. Wait until the small business owners that struggle to keep 5-20 employees on benefits see the increases and just can't provide for it anymore.

This is going to slaughter small businesses and small business makes up close to 50% of all jobs and job creation in the U.S., although due to horrible policies such as the ACA (among many others) that is shrinking.

This thing is going to be bad. Real bad.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 06:22:56 AM »
This is going to slaughter small businesses and small business makes up close to 50% of all jobs and job creation in the U.S., although due to horrible policies such as the ACA (among many others) that is shrinking.

People who are inventive enough to start and run a small business will provide for themselves, but the employment metrics that the Gubmint is looking for will be thrashed as the employers - people who make their own way anyway - do what they have to do to remain economically viable.

Slow motion train wreck here...and I still have my doubts that it actually gets implemented once somebody starts seeing the lack of funding for ACA and mass payroll disruptions when the loopholes show themselves.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:14:33 AM »

The only hope is  it will crash so hard and painfully it will drive a stake through the heart of the future Obama clone/Vampires who try to promote such counter productive legislation.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
You'll be hard pressed to find anyone in the medical industry who's job involves anything related to its financial aspects (administration, owning a practice, insurance, etc) who speaks highly of ACA.  

Go to any of the "doctor forums" (doctorshangout, towniecentral, even the studentdoctor.net forums) and you'll see thread after thread about how to survive ACA, concern that they have to cut employees, is it worth buying a practice?, did I pick the wrong profession?, etc.  

I'm sure a lot of people will write it off with "oh boo hoo...some doctor might not be as mega-rich as he used to be," but it's much more than that.  
You want your doctors to be rich...you want every intelligent person who also wants to be rich to want to go to medical school, because that keeps standards high enough for the dumb ones to not be accepted.  You want cardiologists to have enough earning potential that every top student available is fighting for a cardiology fellowship...so that the piss-poor prospects are turned down.  

Medicine isn't a "knowledge for the sake of knowledge" field.  It CAN'T be...it's not a research field.  Surgery is a job, not research.  The upside is pay, not publications.  When you are lying in cardiac surgery, you want to know that your surgeon had to earn his position because he was better than the many other intelligent people fighting for his residency spots.  

You want to know that he chose to spend 4 years in undergrad, 4 years in medical school, 7 years in general surgery residence, and 3 more years as a cardiothoracic resident because the end reward was a very good one (and the fact that he didn't choose RESEARCH means that money was a large part of that)...and also that MANY other bright minds were vying for the same residency positions.  

You DO NOT want to wonder if the only reason he's there is because he was convinced through various government grants and government "loan re-payment" plans to spend 10 more years AFTER medical school becoming your cardiac surgeon.  
*The sad part is that with the cost of school skyrocketing, the "loan repayment/indentured servant" option already has the infrastructure securely in place.

There's a lot of things wrong with the medicine/insurance industry...but the ACA (as far as I can tell) is going to do nothing but hurt people who don't deserve it (the people who are going to be calling two part-time jobs the new "normal"), lead to a lower standard-of-care future (don't forget that the future cardiac surgeons choosing to become engineers instead won't be absent from the operating room for some 15+ years from now), and cause the current force of medical professionals to tell their children "don't grow up and become a doctor like me."  

Maybe I'm wrong....if it ends up being an all around success, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong.  Unfortunately, nothing has pointed in that direction thus far.

Y