Author Topic: Knee Pain - Squats and Whatnot...  (Read 2506 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Knee Pain - Squats and Whatnot...
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:04:05 PM »
I'm having knee pain and I never have before.  I'm doing lots of squats recently, and I'm also spending a lot of time jumping on my baby mamas trampoline.

???

Woke up this morning and it hurt whenever I put my knees all the way straight.  I had to walk without straightening my legs all the way out like a fucking velociraptor all day.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
Re: Knee Pain - Squats and Whatnot...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »
sorry, can someone move this to G&O  :-[ :-[ :-[

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »
why should we move it?  it's obviously George Bush's fault.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 01:12:47 PM »
why should we move it?  it's obviously George Bush's fault.

I was going to blame the Republicans, but chickened out because George Whorewell is back and I didn't want to be owned!  :-[ :-[

This is embarrassing, I don't like to cross my G&O and Political Board Personas.   

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 01:56:59 PM »
The older I get, the less my knees tolerate moderate to heavy leg training.   I found 2-3 tablespoons of Flax oil a day to be very beneficial for aging joints.   

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »
In no particular order: lose weight, work on hip mobility and flexibility, stretch your hams.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 02:08:45 PM »
In no particular order: lose weight, work on hip mobility and flexibility, stretch your hams.

My only problem there is extremely tight hamstrings.   I'm young, so I just wonder why this would happen.

I don't know for sure that they're tight,  but I can barely touch my toes with my legs straight.  I work them hard

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »
My only problem there is extremely tight hamstrings.   I'm young, so I just wonder why this would happen.

I don't know for sure that they're tight,  but I can barely touch my toes with my legs straight.  I work them hard

I know from experience. Hips, hams, glutes, knees and lower back all work together to fuck you up. In my case, it was tight hips and low hip mobility. Low back pain, hip tightness and knee pain were my symptoms. I started working the foam roller on these areas, worked on flexibility in my hips, and loosening of my IT band on the right side. I also started dragging the weighted sled a lot.

My tightness and lack of flexibility led to an imbalance which led to weakness on one side, which caused my back pain and knee pain. Getting back to neutral was key before anything else.

Along the way, I discovered that everything that I "knew" about training and diet (and gear) was completely wrong.

Age has nothing to do with it. Get yourself to neutral. You may need to find a COMPETENT trainer (i.e not some jamoke off the Internet) to watch you workout. You'd be surprised how much a real expert sees that we no longer are capable of seeing.

Good luck.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »
I know from experience. Hips, hams, glutes, knees and lower back all work together to fuck you up. In my case, it was tight hips and low hip mobility. Low back pain, hip tightness and knee pain were my symptoms. I started working the foam roller on these areas, worked on flexibility in my hips, and loosening of my IT band on the right side. I also started dragging the weighted sled a lot.

My tightness and lack of flexibility led to an imbalance which led to weakness on one side, which caused my back pain and knee pain. Getting back to neutral was key before anything else.

Along the way, I discovered that everything that I "knew" about training and diet (and gear) was completely wrong.

Age has nothing to do with it. Get yourself to neutral. You may need to find a COMPETENT trainer (i.e not some jamoke off the Internet) to watch you workout. You'd be surprised how much a real expert sees that we no longer are capable of seeing.

Good luck.

Thank you sir, very much appreciated... I'll look into it!

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 08:14:01 PM »

Good luck.

Yes, hindsight is always 20/20.  I so wish I would have done the things I do now back about 10 - 15yrs ago.  Also, learning to squat with shins at or slights beyond perpendicular to the ground so that I activate the posterior chain more.  Cycling the 'de load' type of weeks into my training. 

CichirelloMagnet

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »
Check out www.mobilitywod.com. Saved my body for lifting. I was pretty dumb to it all, but he has a search tool, type in the problem area and there will be a bunch of videos showing you ways to open up.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:03:43 PM »
checking your hydration and fats are key to prevention and maintenance of the human body
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 09:36:50 PM »
High rep squatting or almost high rep anything is eventually a overuse problem. Drop the volume, squat parallel or below, train the complete posterior chain and you save your knees. Deload every 4th week.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 04:53:34 AM »
Check out www.mobilitywod.com. Saved my body for lifting. I was pretty dumb to it all, but he has a search tool, type in the problem area and there will be a bunch of videos showing you ways to open up.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT PUT UP ANY CF STUFF.....Holy Shit balls....you realize what Coach is going to do???   ((heading for my panic room))

P.S.  Kelly Starette's book is pretty damn good. 

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 05:28:08 AM »
Yes, hindsight is always 20/20.  I so wish I would have done the things I do now back about 10 - 15yrs ago.  Also, learning to squat with shins at or slights beyond perpendicular to the ground so that I activate the posterior chain more.  Cycling the 'de load' type of weeks into my training. 

Don't I know it. I discovered more solid training and diet info in the last year and a half than the previous 29 years of training combined. If only I knew back then...

Once I broke myself out of my rut, admitted that I didn't know shit and crawled into a great gym for advice, my training turned around. Haven't looked back since.

And there is a lot of solid advice here too. Even on G&O.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 05:34:54 AM »
I'm having knee pain and I never have before.  I'm doing lots of squats recently, and I'm also spending a lot of time jumping on my baby mamas trampoline.

???

Woke up this morning and it hurt whenever I put my knees all the way straight.  I had to walk without straightening my legs all the way out like a fucking velociraptor all day.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/18_tips_for_bulletproof_knees

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 05:46:35 AM »
go very easy on them, full rom, little weight,if it hurts, take a break.

i have knee issues myself, fuck how it sucks :-X
fish oil fo ye

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 06:11:11 AM »
Front squats hurt my knees a little, so I only do them every other week or so. Glucosomine helps a little, but it takes a few weeks to really tell the difference. You can try wearing a knee sleeve or wraps. Always make sure to warm up. Stretches for the quads and hips help as well. Knee pain sucks. Good luck.
S

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 06:43:16 AM »
When is the last time you got new w/o shoes?
R

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 06:44:38 AM »
Wear the compression knee sleeves - they help a lot

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 06:54:12 AM »
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT PUT UP ANY CF STUFF.....Holy Shit balls....you realize what Coach is going to do???   ((heading for my panic room))

P.S.  Kelly Starette's book is pretty damn good. 

Enough already. I like Starette. But he's been taking a lot of critisism from other PT's on the performbetter circuit for some his methods by both Weingroff and Boyle. I have no problem with him.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 07:16:45 AM »
Enough already. I like Starette. But he's been taking a lot of critisism from other PT's on the performbetter circuit for some his methods by both Weingroff and Boyle. I have no problem with him.

You first Joe.  Recall my "not this shit again" post?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 07:24:13 AM »
You first Joe.  Recall my "not this shit again" post?

It wasn't a blanket statement and you know it. But let's face it. The business plan is genius, the program not very well thought out. It's getting better though because so many real coaches and trainers have been calling them out.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 08:17:22 AM »
maybe jumpers knee. if you're unlucky it's damaged/degenerated cartilage in the kneejoint. only a specialized doctor and MRI can tell.

anyways see if stretching the quads helps. foam rolling and massage aswell. also look over your squat technique and dont go too heavy. using more hips and glutes is okay. stresses the kneejoint less. and stay away from legs for a month and start using less weight.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 08:21:26 AM »
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/18_tips_for_bulletproof_knees

go very easy on them, full rom, little weight,if it hurts, take a break.

i have knee issues myself, fuck how it sucks :-X

Front squats hurt my knees a little, so I only do them every other week or so. Glucosomine helps a little, but it takes a few weeks to really tell the difference. You can try wearing a knee sleeve or wraps. Always make sure to warm up. Stretches for the quads and hips help as well. Knee pain sucks. Good luck.

Yes, Thanks!

When is the last time you got new w/o shoes?

I only bought Adidas Sambas for like four years, but I just recently purchased some kind of Nike shoes. Hmmm....

maybe jumpers knee. if you're unlucky it's damaged/degenerated cartilage in the kneejoint. only a specialized doctor and MRI can tell.

anyways see if stretching the quads helps. foam rolling and massage aswell. also look over your squat technique and dont go too heavy. using more hips and glutes is okay. stresses the kneejoint less. and stay away from legs for a month and start using less weight.

Scary, thanks... I'm googling it

Woke up with sore knees again this morning and I didn't even do anything to them yesterday.