Author Topic: NFL - Washington Redskins - time to change the name  (Read 48579 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Congress calls for Redskins change
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »
After all the leftwing bullshit that these assbags spew...maybe a national "conversation" on the redskins name is ok. Maybe the rank and file blue collar football fan will see the libs for what they are...traitorus anti American pansies....These people are'nt football fans, they're San Fransisco bathhouse dwelling soccer fans. If the team were the Washington Transgender unicon queens, that would be just find with them. Every day these people strip away a little of America.

;)

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Congress calls for Redskins change
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 03:19:28 PM »
They should change the name to Whiteskins.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama open to name change for the Redskins. - lmfao
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 08:33:46 AM »
Oct 5, 10:21 AM EDT

OBAMA OPEN TO NAME CHANGE FOR WASHINGTON REDSKINS

BY JULIE PACE
AP WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENT

AP Photo/Charles Dharapak
SPORTS VIDEO

LATEST NEWS
NY TRIBE TARGETING REDSKINS NAME PLANS DC MEETING
OLYMPIC CHAMP KIM YU-NA SIDELINED WITH FOOT INJURY
BUY AP PHOTO REPRINTS

LATEST NEWS
OBAMA SAYS HE EXPECTS CONGRESS WILL RAISE DEBT CAP
OBAMA: SENATORS SEEKING CONTROVERSY BAD FOR GOV'T
SUMMARY OF OBAMA INTERVIEW WITH ASSOCIATED PRESS
OBAMA: IRAN 'A YEAR OR MORE' FROM NUKE CAPABILITY
INTERACTIVE
   OBAMA'S 2011 STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS
   OBAMA'S 2010 STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS
   PANORAMA OF THE STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama says that if he owned the Washington Redskins, he would "think about changing" the team name, wading into the controversy over a football nickname that many people deem offensive to Native Americans.

Obama, in an interview with The Associated Press, said team names like the Redskins offend "a sizable group of people." He said that while fans get attached to the nicknames, nostalgia may not be a good enough reason to keep them in place.

"I don't know whether our attachment to a particular name should override the real legitimate concerns that people have about these things," he said in the interview, which was conducted Friday.

An avid sports fan, Obama said he doesn't think Washington football fans are purposely trying to offend American Indians. "I don't want to detract from the wonderful Redskins fans that are here. They love their team and rightly so," he said.

But the president appeared to come down on the side of those who have sharply criticized the football team's name, noting that Indians "feel pretty strongly" about mascots and team names that depict negative stereotypes about their heritage.

Other professional sports teams have Indian nicknames, including football's Kansas City Chiefs and baseball's Atlanta Braves and Cleveland Indians.

Numerous colleges and universities have changed names that reference Native Americans. St. John's changed its mascot from the Redmen to the Red Storm, Marquette is now the Golden Eagles instead of the Warriors and Stanford switched from the Indians to the Cardinal.

The Redskins' nickname has attracted a fresh round of controversy in recent months, with local leaders in Washington calling for a name change and some media outlets refraining from using the name. The name is the subject of a long-running legal challenge from a group of American Indians seeking to block the team from having federal trademark protection.

Congressional lawmakers have introduced a bill seeking the same goal, though it appears unlikely to pass.

Opponents of the Redskins nickname also plan to hold a protest Monday outside the NFL's fall meeting in Washington.

Team owner Dan Snyder has vowed to never abandon the name. But NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said last month that the league should pay attention to those offended by the nickname - a subtle change in position for Goodell, who had more strongly supported the nickname in his previous statements this year.

Despite the controversy, an AP-GfK poll conducted in April showed that nationally, "Redskins" still enjoys wide support. Nearly 4 in 5 Americans don't think the team should change its name, the survey found. Only 11 percent think it should be changed, while 8 percent weren't sure and 2 percent didn't answer.

Obama said he doesn't have a direct stake in the Redskins debate since he's not a team owner. But he hinted that might be part of his post-White House plans.

"Maybe after I leave the presidency," he joked. "I think it would be a lot of fun."

He added: "I'd probably look at a basketball team before I looked at a football team. I know more about basketball than I do about football."

---

AP Sports Writer Joseph White contributed to this report.

---

Follow Julie Pace at http://HTTP://TWITTER.COM/JPACEDC

© 2013

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: Obama open to name change for the Redskins. - lmfao
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 08:47:57 AM »
They should be renamed the Pork Skins.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »
A sizeable group, virtually all white people who exist to be offended on others' behalf.

yep.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 12:03:35 PM »
Oct 5, 10:21 AM EDT

BY JULIE PACE
AP WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENT

AP Photo/Charles Dharapak
SPORTS VIDEO

LATEST NEWS
NY TRIBE TARGETING REDSKINS NAME PLANS DC MEETING
OLYMPIC CHAMP KIM YU-NA SIDELINED WITH FOOT INJURY
BUY AP PHOTO REPRINTS

LATEST NEWS
OBAMA SAYS HE EXPECTS CONGRESS WILL RAISE DEBT CAP
OBAMA: SENATORS SEEKING CONTROVERSY BAD FOR GOV'T
SUMMARY OF OBAMA INTERVIEW WITH ASSOCIATED PRESS
OBAMA: IRAN 'A YEAR OR MORE' FROM NUKE CAPABILITY
INTERACTIVE
   OBAMA'S 2011 STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS
   OBAMA'S 2010 STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS
   PANORAMA OF THE STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama says that if he owned the Washington Redskins, he would "think about changing" the team name, wading into the controversy over a football nickname that many people deem offensive to Native Americans.

Obama, in an interview with The Associated Press, said team names like the Redskins offend "a sizable group of people." He said that while fans get attached to the nicknames, nostalgia may not be a good enough reason to keep them in place.

"I don't know whether our attachment to a particular name should override the real legitimate concerns that people have about these things," he said in the interview, which was conducted Friday.

An avid sports fan, Obama said he doesn't think Washington football fans are purposely trying to offend American Indians. "I don't want to detract from the wonderful Redskins fans that are here. They love their team and rightly so," he said.

But the president appeared to come down on the side of those who have sharply criticized the football team's name, noting that Indians "feel pretty strongly" about mascots and team names that depict negative stereotypes about their heritage.

Other professional sports teams have Indian nicknames, including football's Kansas City Chiefs and baseball's Atlanta Braves and Cleveland Indians.

Numerous colleges and universities have changed names that reference Native Americans. St. John's changed its mascot from the Redmen to the Red Storm, Marquette is now the Golden Eagles instead of the Warriors and Stanford switched from the Indians to the Cardinal.

The Redskins' nickname has attracted a fresh round of controversy in recent months, with local leaders in Washington calling for a name change and some media outlets refraining from using the name. The name is the subject of a long-running legal challenge from a group of American Indians seeking to block the team from having federal trademark protection.

Congressional lawmakers have introduced a bill seeking the same goal, though it appears unlikely to pass.

Opponents of the Redskins nickname also plan to hold a protest Monday outside the NFL's fall meeting in Washington.

Team owner Dan Snyder has vowed to never abandon the name. But NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said last month that the league should pay attention to those offended by the nickname - a subtle change in position for Goodell, who had more strongly supported the nickname in his previous statements this year.

Despite the controversy, an AP-GfK poll conducted in April showed that nationally, "Redskins" still enjoys wide support. Nearly 4 in 5 Americans don't think the team should change its name, the survey found. Only 11 percent think it should be changed, while 8 percent weren't sure and 2 percent didn't answer.

Obama said he doesn't have a direct stake in the Redskins debate since he's not a team owner. But he hinted that might be part of his post-White House plans.

"Maybe after I leave the presidency," he joked. "I think it would be a lot of fun."

He added: "I'd probably look at a basketball team before I looked at a football team. I know more about basketball than I do about football."

---

AP Sports Writer Joseph White contributed to this report.

---

Follow Julie Pace at http://HTTP://TWITTER.COM/JPACEDC

© 2013

It's good to see him devoting time, thought, and energy to attacking the real issues this country faces.

Mitch

• Getbig V
  • Team Succulent Ham of Peace
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2013, 12:10:40 PM »
Alphabama dealing with real problems  8)

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2013, 12:16:33 PM »
Inb4 Coach

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »
They should change the name to the BigAch Skins.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2013, 12:31:40 PM »
Why would my redskins change their names......that's the most stupid, ridiculous bullshit I've ever heard...they're making it a racial issue for no reason...I hope Snyder fight this shit to the limit

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »
anything to "shore up" unhappy campaign contributors....

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »

Yeah, well, you don't own the team, shit stain.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 08:29:03 PM »
Yeah, well, you don't own the team, shit stain.

everyone is owning the redskins this year

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
There should be a petition for a namechange for Barrack Osama

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2013, 08:35:26 PM »
the nfl is at the mercy of the fed if it wants to keep it's tax-exemption status.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2013, 08:45:11 PM »
I hear he also wants to change the names of countries like Uruguay and Nigeria because its offends gays and blacks

"

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
If its offensive to people, why not change it to reflect contemparory values? Do you guys think any team name derogatory to lets say black people woulf be acceptable? Like the 'washington negroes'?
follow the arrows

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2013, 08:57:20 PM »
A sizeable group, virtually all white people who exist to be offended on others' behalf.

You joke, but has any native American group ever come forth about this?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2013, 08:59:22 PM »
Shouldn't he be more concerned about running the country than WTF is happening in the NFL?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2013, 09:02:54 PM »
Man, I'm far from a PC liberal, but that name can be construed as kinda offensive. That's the only one I feel this way about. The rest, fuck you, you don't have a case.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »
Its a fallacy to think that just because a person comments on a subject that they are less concerned with other potentially bigger issues. He must have been asked about it, in my opinion its a thoughtful response.
follow the arrows

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2013, 09:06:18 PM »
Never thought I would say it, but I totally miss George Bush and Darth Cheney.   :-\

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
Man, I'm far from a PC liberal, but that name can be construed as kinda offensive. That's the only one I feel this way about. The rest, fuck you, you don't have a case.

Are you native American?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »
Are you native American?

No, just your average white dude.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2013, 09:10:25 PM »
Start a team called the White Devils, see if I give a shit.