Author Topic: How much money would you spend on your dog ?  (Read 5464 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: How much money would you spend on your dog ?
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »
I would spend as much money needed to keep that baby comfortable (I think of my dog as part of the family).

"1"

This.  I can't think of a better way to spend money.

Burr

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 05:40:41 PM »
I have four dogs and we spend a lot of money but that is fine. They are great guard dogs and they would die for us!!
Burr
I Lift & Cycle

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 05:36:10 PM »
What do you mean fair? I thought they enjoyed it... ???

Your dog is a senior citizen.  A puppy is going to want to play and be a puppy.  Most senior dogs are not going to enjoy that, in fact it might stress him out and make him miserable.  It just wouldn't be fair to him.  Let him live with dignity and respect.   This is in so many ways a teachable time for your kids too.
:

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 06:24:19 PM »
Doc your smarter than this... I lifespan twice that is still too short ???

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 06:30:29 PM »
A bigger concern it whether the dog is suffering or not. I would spend whatever it took to make my dogs healthy if they got sick, but I wouldn't spend anything to keep them alive just to have them suffer....we already do this with humans and it is wrong IMO.

woodman

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 07:11:14 PM »
Had the best family pet! A 155 lb Newfoundland with a heart of gold...had her from 3 months@25lbs till yesterday @155 lbs(11.5 yrs old)... She was a vital part of the family,vibrant,fun,obedient and a hoot! 2 months ago developed a problem in her ear canal which we found out to be cancer..the vet said it wasntpainfull but would be expensive to treat w/ chemotherapy and radiation ( life expectancy of a Newf is 8-10..so we were in the plus) well Thursday she got lethargic,wouldn't eat,or run around. I called the vet( fellow get bigger) and he said if she was suffering or in pain would come over to put her down as it's tough to pick up a 155 lb floppy dog..I said ok. Well Friday morning came to the living room and bears breathing was labored..well held her tight told her it was ok( thank god the kids were out) she licked my neck and passed.. I am such a bag of shit today missing my best friend...cost me over 2 grand and ate like a horse but wouldn't trade a moment or a penny!

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 07:21:15 PM »
I had a chocolate lab that ended up passing 7 years ago. He had diabetes. He had 2 surgeries that cost $7500 total. Between insulin, monthly blood work at the vets, and special diabetic dog food we put out $200 a month, every month. It didn't matter, I would have paid anything.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »
We got a Bordeaux Dog, now 8.5 yrs old. This breed of dog got the shortest average lifespan of all dog breeds, under 6 yrs. Because ours is not 100% pure, she's still around.
But she had surgery to repair her wasted right knee, got painkillers daily, got oestrogeen tablet so she's not pissing in the house, and 2 days ago she got 2 epileptic insults, and the vet gave her barbitals for that too, it's probably a brain tumor. But her liver and kidney blood tests are pretty good. She's deaf and kinda demented, but the kids love her very much and the dog seems to be happy just being around people, getting attention, and taking short walks to poo.
She has cost me a fortune, and the medication isn't cheap too.

How much would you spent for your pet in a situation like this ?

bro, i know your pain.

i rescued a 7 month old bordeaux puppy. his name was hugo. he suffered from seizures. he was the most loving, most wonderful puppy ever. he had a amazing love for life. he came to me after being passed from several families as they couldnt give him the care he needed. i have a large property, and he was a city puppy. watching him off leash in the bush explore nand the curiosity he had about everything was so amazing. he and dozer my american bd got along so well, like little brothers.

he was finally getting settled in and maybe trusting that i wasnt going to give him away like everyone else had. i could see him opening up to us and trusting us and it was heart warming. and then one night he suffered several seizures. i kept calm petting him, talking softly to him thru it all. but the last seizure was different. i was bad. this was 3am. i called the emrgency number for vet. i got her to open the clinic 45 minutes away. i got him there, carried him into the office. they tried to stabilise him using valium. iv drips etc. i had to try to save this dog dude. it was like one of my kids. he deserved better than dying after just getting passed from home to home cause life dealt him a bad hand. just as he was starting to 'live'.

the vet and i had a talk once he was stabilised. she said theres a clinic in toronto you can take him to right now. they can do a brain scan, see what kind of damage there is. i asked about the costs. that was ballparked at $5000. but there was no guarantee that he would not have brian damage from the episode he had just suffered, so there was a chance that 5k was in vain.

at that point i made a compromise. i asked her to give hugo the best care she could give him at her clinic. do what she had to do to make him better. then i would cross that road when he came out of his coma.

she said she felt that was the avenue shed pursue as well. she said she stya with him the rest of the night , to go home get some sleep she'd call me in the am i said goodbye to hugo, said id see him soon and got in my truck and drove home. at 8am she called me to tell me hugo passed due to complications from the seizures.

the point is bro, i had to give hugo every opportunity to get better. i dont even weant to mention what my bill was from this. it didnt matter. what matter ed was hugo getting a btter shot than what he had been given. he deserved a chance.

your girl has had a good life. she has been loved and given love unconditionally. but theres a place where they go. its always sunny and they run thru fields of daisys chasing butterflies and bees, and drinking out of cool streams. they play all day and all the pain they have here is gone. and they are there waiting for us. and thats where your girl now needs to go. we keep them cause it hard for us to let go sometimes. but it isnt about us. its about them. take her and talk to her. tell he you love her and that its time for her to go and play and chase those butterfiles. they arent just dogs bro. they are avery special creature. and they deserve better than to live in pain. they give and give and give. so now, give back to her. let her go.
b

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 12:16:22 AM »
Not to seem callous, but I have had dogs in my life since it was a baby. My mom loved dogs. I have had the experience of so many dogs passing over my lifetime I can barely remember all of them in detail. Most died of old age, but a couple had accidental deaths, like the Collie I had when I was a teenager. She wasn't spade and she'd take off when she was in heat. One time she was on the run and was hit by a car and killed instantly. That was pretty difficult. In fact it is always difficult when a dog passes regardless of the circumstances.

I have never met a dog or had one that I didn't like. I have two dogs these days. Danny is a Lab/Irish Wolfhound mix. He is 8 years old. Lucy is a Rat Terrier. She is 4 years old. They both sleep on my bed and go pretty much everywhere with me, except when they'd have to stay in the car for too long or if it is too hot out, which is rare in the part of Oregon where I live. I will be devastated when either of them pass. I am retired and have much more time to spend with my "kids" than I have ever had in the past with other dogs. My wife gets jealous sometimes because both dogs are clearly more attached to me than to her. It is just the way it is.

Clayton Bigsby

• Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 01:24:07 AM »
I would spend as much money needed to keep that baby comfortable (I think of my dog as part of the family).

"1"

I agree. Trust me I understand my tea cup poodle has cost me about 4 grand in surgeries. If the dog is suffering then you have to do the right thing. If its not then just bite the bullet and do what you got do. If you put the dog down before its time because of money then you will regret it. Imagine it being your kid.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2013, 01:43:06 AM »
breed with the least genetic deficiencies.

Get a mixed breed, anyone who has ever worked with or seriously fancied dogs or horses will tell you that mixed breeds are hardier and smarter with less trouble in the long run.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2013, 02:01:28 AM »
We got a Bordeaux Dog, now 8.5 yrs old. This breed of dog got the shortest average lifespan of all dog breeds, under 6 yrs. Because ours is not 100% pure, she's still around.
But she had surgery to repair her wasted right knee, got painkillers daily, got oestrogeen tablet so she's not pissing in the house, and 2 days ago she got 2 epileptic insults, and the vet gave her barbitals for that too, it's probably a brain tumor. But her liver and kidney blood tests are pretty good. She's deaf and kinda demented, but the kids love her very much and the dog seems to be happy just being around people, getting attention, and taking short walks to poo.

I think it depends on how old your kids are. And if they have been through the loss of a loved one before.

whitewidow

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 02:50:28 AM »

Depends on your budget, you also have to think if the dog would be best off if it was put down just so the dog does not have to suffer everyday. It is a lose/lose situation in a way because if you had all the money in the world it still can be a bad idea to keep a dog alive that is suffering on a daily basis. It is a very shitty situation nobpody wants to put their dog down but it is also not smart to spend tons of money just to keep a dog alive that is just going to suffer everyday. lose/lose situation. I think in my mind I would spend every dollar I had to keep my dog alive but in my heart I would probably realize the best thing to do is to stop the dog from suffering. money really isn't the issue anybody would spend everything they had to keep their dog alive but if it is kind of a lost cause and no matter how much you spend the dog is going to have daily issues best to just put the dog down the right way and move on.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 11:02:02 PM »
Any updates Dutch?

I hope you have pics and video of your kid during the good times.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »