Author Topic: 2013 IFBB Toronto Pro - Full Results  (Read 22880 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: 2013 IFBB Toronto Pro - Full Results
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2013, 07:31:54 PM »
Interesting comments from Grant, Tim Fogerty, an One More Rep regarding Men’s Physique competitions.

I think that each of them have offered valid points but if I had to take a stand, I would tend to agree with Tim and OMR a bit more than agreeing with Grant,

It’s difficult to ‘pinpoint’ whose opinion is the most correct due to the fact that Men’s Physique is so darn new and is still ‘finding its way’ (so to speak).

The big question among the physique competitors is , “When is too much muscle, too much muscle to b e ranked higher in a physique event?”

At a recent contest in California one physique contestant resembled a very impressive, but lean competitive bodybuilder who most people felt should have entered the bodybuiling contest instead of the physique event..

He did not get a top ten call-out which was not much of a surprise due to the fact that he apparently too muscular to be place well as a physique competitor,

CONFUSING??!

Definitely!!!  And I think the reason for that is because there is a very fine line between a great physique competitor  and an amateur bodybuilders who wins his class as a result of being lean and ripped.

For many amateur competitors …. It’s a difficult task to make the right decision …. “Should I enter the bodybuilding ocnestt or shoul I enter the physique event?”

And so far in most contests you have to choose one or the other, but not both.

In my opinion the present physique winners appear to be what the judges were looking for back in the 60 and eatly 70  amateur bodybuilding contests.

And I think the term “Classic Bodybuilding” would have been a more descriptive term for Men’s Physique contests.

BUT ….. Whrn it comes to making decisions about what to call a new event and even more decisions on how to judge that new event …… Those decisions are made by a group of individuals after long discussions (and often heated arguments) and there are usually damn good reason why those decisions are made and regimented.

And to end this …. I also believe that this relatively  new event will  become more popular with the general public and the competitors as well … more so than the bodybuilding events.

And it’s possible that the ‘uniform’ could be changed.

Thanks for listening…..  STUNT

good points stunt,,again to add to your statement if it was renamed'classic 'bbing and board shorts changed to a brief 3/4 down leg or a more 70's themed trunk/brief ,and more on streamlined but good /lean build/muscled but hardness level lessened ,,good abs/intercostals but not dried out bbing extreme level conditioning.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2013, 07:53:14 PM »
THANKS, NJ: I guess the big questions are:

1. Why is it called MEN'S PHYSIQUE and not MEN'S CLASSICAL BODYBUILDING?

2. Why the long board shorts rather than the 3/4 leg shorts?

I have a feeling that the above decisions were made in an effort to create and show a difference between boybuilding and physique.

And this could be justified by saying that today's 'classical contests' would only evolve into today's bodybuilding .... So let's create a difference now  ...... before it gets too late ...... (Or something like that!)

Once again I gotta state that a lot of thought goes into the making of decisions such as this and there are almost always "valid reasons" for doing so.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2013, 08:03:17 PM »
THANKS, NJ: I guess the big questions are:

1. Why is it called MEN'S PHYSIQUE and not MEN'S CLASSICAL BODYBUILDING?

2. Why the long board shorts rather than the 3/4 leg shorts?

I have a feeling that the above decisions were made in an effort to create and show a difference between boybuilding and physique.

And this could be justified by saying that today's 'classical contests' would only evolve into today's bodybuilding .... So let's create a difference now  ...... before it gets too late ...... (Or something like that!)

Once again I gotta state that a lot of thought goes into the making of decisions such as this and there are almost always "valid reasons" for doing so.

u wrote it line 1,,,mens physique take the word'bbing'out and people/fans/industry types can then promote it,sell it,market supplement lines around it,,bbing seems one dimensional in the grand scheme there promoting nowadays,,,

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2013, 09:24:34 PM »
I don't fully comprehend your last post but I think that within the next few years ..... there will be  more of a commercial demand for Physique competitors because the physique "physique" will be more accptable to the general public and even to the magazines and supplement companies for sales and advertising purposes.

This will be a gradual change but I'm almost positive it will happen.

And I' gotta add the following to sum this up .....

Hollywood is always looking for new faces and new bodies and new personalities for movies and TV work .... but for some reason they have yet to discover the ladies who compete in these Fitness events nor the guys who compete in the physique events.

But it's gonna happen ..... if it's not happening already.

I'd even go as far as to suggest that the better looking ones look into the possibility of getting a Hollywood agent. A tuff nut to crack but not impossible if you are a good self-promoter.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2013, 09:41:47 PM »
It all depends on the judges or where the show is held. We had a physique guy compete in a local show here and didn't make top 5. One or 2 weeks later goes to the Team Universe and wins his class and over all. Goes to show how the judges have trouble with it.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2013, 10:53:57 PM »
It all depends on the judges or where the show is held. We had a physique guy compete in a local show here and didn't make top 5. One or 2 weeks later goes to the Team Universe and wins his class and over all. Goes to show how the judges have trouble with it.

Do you have pics of both shows? That's quite the jump.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2013, 06:36:47 AM »
I don't fully u comprehend your last post but I think that within the next few years ..... there will be  more of a commercial demand of Physique competitors because the physique "physique" will be more accptable to the general public and even to the magazines and supplement companies for sales and advertising purposes.

This will be a gradual change but I'm almost positive it will happen.

And I' gotta add the following to sum this up .....

Hollywood is always looking for new faces and new bodies and new personalities for movies and TV work .... but for some reason they have yet to discover the ladies who compete in these Fitness events nor the guys who compete in the physique events.

But it's gonna happen ..... if it's not happening already.

I'd even go as far as to suggest that the better looking ones look into the possibility of getting a Hollywood agent. A tuff nut to crack but not impossible if you are a good self-promoter.
your 1st few sentences here summed up what I was thinking but didn't translate when I typed,,thanks,,,

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2013, 09:51:35 AM »
JUDE, YOU SAID >>>> "It all depends on the judges or where the show is held. We had a physique guy compete in a local show here and didn't make top 5. One or 2 weeks later goes to the Team Universe and wins his class and over all. Goes to show how the judges have trouble with it."

JUDE, I wasn’t there at either contest so I can’t provide an intelligent response but such ‘things’ are possible for a good number of reasons which don’t make any decision an impossibility or even questionable..

As you so stated  …….  it could be possible that the judges had "trouble" deciding on the outcome.

It’s good to see that you did not mention ‘fixed’ or ‘cheating’!

As stated earlier a good number of physique contestants have the same trouble when deciding …. Should I enter the physiqe or should I enter the bodybuilding?”

That ‘trouble’ was pretty damn evident at the most recent Cal championships when the guy who did not do too well in the physique line-up could have ‘possibly’ won the overall bodybuilding title.

And as stated earlier, I ‘think’ there’s still a fine line between both events that cause problems for the judges ….. and the contestants as well.

BUT ,,,, trouble on the Judges’ part does not mean cheating on the judges’ part.

This may sound STUPID in an attempt to make it SIMPLE.,,,,

BUT …. Thr judging of any BB or physique event is simply a matter of comparisons among the contenders on that stage. There is not some ideal type of physique that a winner has to look like.

The winner simply has to look better that the other competitors on that stage.

If they all look pretty ‘bad’, then the best of the pretty bad contender will be the victor.

Then at the contest the following month, the guy who placed 4th in the ‘pretty bad group’ , may look pretty good when compared to this new lineup of guys ….. so he gets a 1st place vote from this new ‘line-up’ of judges.

Hence ... "QUITE  A  JUMP" as BIKINI so eloquently stated!

In a nutshell …. It’s all relative and simply a matter of comparisons … which very often isn’t really simple at all …. Especially in regards to this new physique division where too much muscle can possibly kick you out of the ball-park.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2013, 10:04:57 AM »
young guy in my gym competed few wks ago in a big nj/nyc show did novice/open class 2 guys in novice he took 2nd,open he took 3rd don't know how many guys competed there,he has nice build /flow not thick ,he competes as lightweight small boned ,told him he would well in physique,he feels competing in bbing has better options for him,he really has a build suited for mens physique.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »
NJ, I bet you that he'll switch over to PHYSIQUE if and when he starts placing lower than he expects within the BB comps.

This could be another great reason why the PHYSIQUE DIVISION was established.

When competitors fail to do well in the BB comps, they simply roll over into the Physique comps.

That's great for those who enjoy competing and also great for the NPC.

This Physique Division  was a very wise decision!

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2013, 10:29:57 AM »
young guy in my gym competed few wks ago in a big nj/nyc show did novice/open class 2 guys in novice he took 2nd,open he took 3rd don't know how many guys competed there,he has nice build /flow not thick ,he competes as lightweight small boned ,told him he would well in physique,he feels competing in bbing has better options for him,he really has a build suited for mens physique.
Well I think his options are better in physique as a light weight can take the overall in physique, whereas a light weight can not in bodybuilding, with the exception of a few only in history.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2013, 10:59:58 AM »
NJ, I bet you that he'll switch over to PHYSIQUE if and when he starts placing lower than he expects within the BB comps.

This could be another great reason why the PHYSIQUE DIVISION was established.

When competitor fail to do well in the BB comps, they simply roll over into the Physique comps.

That's great for those who enjoy competing and also great for the NPC.

This Physique Division  was a very wise decision!
I WAS SKEPTICAL,,BUT ITS GROWING AND PROVING MY DOUBTS WRONG,,

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »
NJ, It's not only growing but just may soon take over and prove that you're not the only one that's wrong.

I'd like to argue this 'rapid growth of the Physique Division' with anyone who feels differently.

Bodybuilding comps will neither die nor fade away, but the growth of Men's Physique and the Women's Fitness and Figure will continue to grow to the point where bodybuilding competitors become relatively few in number.

Or a more positive note ..... Each NPC event will continue to grow  when it comes to the number of contestants that compete in each contest.

But I don't foresee the demise of any NPC event except for Female Bodybuilding.

ARGUMENTS ON ANY OF THE ABOVE ARE ENCOURAGED. And I'll be the first to admit errors if you convince me otherwise.

Maybe this should be a POST of its own.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
Do you have pics of both shows? That's quite the jump.
His physique didn't change. It is most likely at the National level like the TEam universe that her won last year, prefer more muscle than the local shows. The judging is not as clear cut of BB. Well the way BB should be judged.