Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 727519 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2013, 03:31:14 PM »
A BIT OF A SIDE-NOTE HERE!

It wasn't too long ago when I could run the two mile distance from the SM Pier to the Venice Beach area and seldom pass more than 50 to a 100 people on that 2 mile stretch.

In fact that beach was so vacant the "HIPPIES" sort of took over and made claim to a small section of that beach directly west of the Gold's original location.

ANd then it became topless.

And then topless and bottomless.

And that's when the cops came and did their best to clear it out.

I have no idea when it 'cleared out' but .... not too long after that it sort of became the beach where anyone with a drum or something to bang on .... gathered together to smoke a joint or two and watch the sun disappear over the eastern horizon while banging on what-even they brought to the beach to bang on.

And so just about every type of drum  and symbol and tin pots and pans were on the beach at sunset those days and sometimes those instruments made spectacular sounds..

Sometimes even something like a SYMPHONY!

Sometimes even mode spectacular than the 20th Century Fox fanfare that was so spectacular before the opening of Cinemascope movies.

Stand in the center of a thousand,  stoned out of their mind, drummers and you'll get the idea of what I'm trying to tell you here.

I did not smoke dope back then, but those sunsets were really totally enjoyable anyway.

Just another part of Muscle Beach history  and the crazy  people who made it happen!

And I'm glad that I was there to see it all.

Crazy people make spectacular sunsets even better!

Even when you're stone cold sober!

But a beer or two certainly helps.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Muscle Beach History - as seen by myself
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »
Never heard of the POP until this thread.
Here is a 3 minute film about it made in 1959. Looks like a great place but I would be scared to go in these wee cable car things.

Looks funny

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »
Regarding those sunset tribal rituals, even this guy showed up on some occasions .... if not all.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2013, 06:28:44 PM »
Bodybuilder dining spots in the Santa Monica area  .....

Some of you DUDES or DUDE-ETTs might remember JOE NAZARIO,

JOE live in Santa Monica for a short time period and for a shorter time period he had a job up the street and around the corner from Gold's on 2nd Street when it was owned by Ken Sprague  (if I recall correctly).

JOE's job was a Bouncer or Greeter at a new place called TONY ROMA's (it was new back then) and they served the best Baby Back Ribs in town and possibly on the whole West Coast.

So JOE either showed us to our table or pointed in the right direction and we made ourselves comfortable  at a table with a white table cloth, white napkins, a coupe of candes in a red glass container. All very fancy for a restaurant around the corner from the gym back then.

And they also had a piano player playing some type of fancy Broadway tunes.

Then the menu came and it was pretty damn cheap.

If I recall right it was less than $7 for a full slab with potato and cole-slaw plus a glass of wine.

And no charge for the Broadway tunes.

By the time we finished dinner the whole restaurant seemed to be full of Gold's Gym members .... which in many cases was a sure sign that  the restaurant would soon be closing for some odd reason or another ... such as the Swedish Smorgasboard did when it got popular around the corner from Gold's and the bodybuilders ate the whole damn like within an hour .... or less.

Three tables full of bodybuilders and .... there was no more food!

Then a few years later, The German's was hte place for the gym members to have a meal or two. This place was in the vicinity of Venice Beach and it was amazing when it came to inexpensive dining.

They served 12 egg omelets for about $3 and a huge bowl of strawberries for a buck and a half. They served other stuff too but everyone seemed to always order the onlete and the berries and the bottom-less cup of coffee.

This place was always full so you had wait but the wait was worth the wait!

My last meal at the German's I sat down with Ed Corney he he told me that he was going to announce his  retirement from competitive bodybuilding and I was thinking, "Who will you announce it too?!"

The place was full of important people in the lifiing game and a few wacked out coke freaks...  but Ed held off for a better time and a better place.

So in a nutshell the best gym-member dining spots in  the SM/Venice area back there were .....

ZUCKY's.
TONY ROMA's.
THE SWEDISH SMORGASBORD
THE GERMAN'S.

And possibly NORM'S on LINCOLN.

Just doing my best to cover all the bases.

OH Yea! I communicated with JOE a short while back and I think he told me he was in COSTA RICA now.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2013, 10:19:09 AM »
 :)
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2013, 10:21:25 AM »
joe nazario nice build ....

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »
FUNK, Thatt photo of Dave Draper was most likely taken to promote the sword and sandle movies he introduced on TV around 1965 or so.

NJ,  Joe has a Fitness Studio in Puerto Rico  and still stays in good shape.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2013, 11:49:22 AM »
FUNK, Thatt photo of Dave Draper was   mostl ikely taken a publicity shot that was taken to promote the sword and sandle movies he introduced on TV aroun 195 or so.

NJ,  Joe has a Fitness Studio in Porto Rico  and still stays in good shape. I'll try to find a more current photo.
COOL,,allaround solid build damn,,,

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2013, 12:00:17 PM »
Stunt the photo of Dave, if memory serves was in connection with KHJ-TV in Hollywood where he worked as David the Gladiator.

It is mentioned in the August 1964 issue of Physical Power and in the Jan 1965 issue of Muscle Builder.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2013, 12:37:48 PM »
Thanks, JOE! That's about the time I use to talk with him while he was filling orders for Weider Supps in a little Weider shop across from Zucky's. I also think we talked about a movie role he had done or would be doing .... Don't Make Waves.

Back in these olden days it seemed that decent bodybuilders resided  in three main areas … New York region, Florida, and California.

And due to the year-round sunny weather and the money making movie industry, most of the bodybuilding business was concentrated in Southern California’s LA area and especially in the Santa Monica region where Muscle Beach would eventually obtain world-wide attention.

The gym business was not big-business back in the 50’s and as far as I can recall there were no gym chains or franchises on the West Coast or any other place in the USA.

Gyms back then were mainly found in YMCA’s throughout the country and the equipment was less than desireable  and most times had to be ‘bolted’  together  if you could find the bar and enough plates to add to that bar.

And if you found those parts of the dumbbell, you now had to find the ‘nuts and bolts’  and a wrench or the "lock-key" to put them together.

That’s a bit off an exaggeration, but it’s close enough to the truth! (Right, Mr, Basile?)

Most gyms in these Y’s would have some form of a canvas mat stuffed with some kind of dirty cotton stuffing that was always used by someone sound asleep in the corner.

And they all had those ‘bowling ball pins’ that were supposed to do something that I can’t recall.

And two or three motorized-belt machines that you’d step into, place the canvas belt  around your waist, flip the little switch, and let it shake the shit our ot  your inner for the next 10 to 12 minutes.

That simply resulted in red rashes and itches.

And on one or two of the walls  separating this “gym” from the more saner folk was  some construction that looked like a rung of wooden ladders or something that would encourage you to climb to the top.

But the top was only about 6 feet above the bottom, so most old timers would either simply lean on it or do some type of stretching movement.

They most likely were the original founders of “Stretching Before Every Workout” which would only be taken seriously some 50 years later.

Sole old guys are way ahead of their time, I guess.

Add a rickety wooden bench and a ‘modern ‘ metal rickety squat stand (not a ‘rack’ back then) … and that would be the best 'gym' in most major US cities..

Meanwhile, not too far away in the country, those who had no Y and wished to increase their strength and get bigger in the process .... were lifting tractor tires and squatting with a yet-to-be-full-grown cow on their back.

This cow-squatting workout even became a major event on a major TV network when some farm-boy made an attempt to lift (squat) a young calf every week until is was either full grown or   ------whatever.

But that TV show didn’t last too long because when that calf was close to being a cow, the farm-boy was squatting with it on his back and …. that calf/cow decided it was time to take a shit and did so magnificently …….

Cow- shit flew everywhere!  (It even hit a couple of the farm boy “fans”!)

Needless to say, the TV crew got hysterical and pandamonium was the result.

The Test Pattern filled TV screens throughout the western regions of the US of A and that was the last of that cow, that farm-boy, and what I think was the first kid’s TV exercise show ever produced.

NEXT UP  …… “Who Owned These Gyms That Competed Against the Y’s?”

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »
Sort of surprise that no one identified the MUG SHOT photo yet.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2013, 02:47:23 PM »
Regarding those sunset tribal rituals, even this guy showed up on some occasions .... if not all.
could it be jim morrison of the doors.
F

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2013, 02:59:11 PM »
could it be jim morrison of the doors.

definitely Jim Morrison from his arrest in 1963.Drunk at a football game in Florida. Moved to UCLA in Jan 64.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2013, 03:06:12 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2013, 03:08:38 PM »
 ;)
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2013, 05:19:20 PM »
Bill Howard promoted, organized, and MC'd the three Venice Beach Bodybuilding and Fitness events each year since 1963.

But just recently those events have been taken over by Joe Wheatley.

Interesting story there. Check it out at :

http://argonautnews.com/emcee-since-63-bill-howard-cut-from-muscle-beach-venice-contests/

FUNK / AL ... Yep! That's Jim Morrison. He was at the beach a lot but I never had the opportunity to meet him.

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2013, 12:05:41 AM »
Another great thread Stunt

Keep 'em coming mate

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2013, 06:34:53 AM »
GREAT READ,,,

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2013, 09:07:27 AM »
Sort of surprise that no one identified the MUG SHOT photo yet.
^^
TEX WATSON from the Manson Family???

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2013, 09:21:42 AM »
Glad they pinned this on the top of the thread. Great stuff Stunt. And thank you Funk51  for all the exceptional pictures. Your data base must be huge.

There was Rands Roundup, on Wilshire near downtown L.A., that a lot of BB'ers, lifters and football player used to go to. It was an all you could eat place. An ex-football coach of mine told me that. Heard of a place called Muscle House by the Sea, where  a lot of BB'ers hung out,  familiar with that Stunt? An older lady owned, or ran, it. Carrot juice was a big thing, for awhile, among BB'ers back in the day. Drink too much and the skin actually turned light orange, I was told. For white guys, anyway.

My two uncles (now in early 70's) worked on the Paramount lot (Melrose & Nan Ness) and the 20th Century lots (Western & Sunset... which has long been torn down). They weren't just BB'ers, but loved to workout with the odd lifts and the sub-culture of lifting back in the day. Learned a lot of old school training tips from them (like taking the regular BB curl and doing it at least 12 different ways and stuff like that). Funny thing about workouts, what a guy may think is a brand new way of working out may actually be old school, just going by another name.

Heard from the old timers that Marvin Eder was the super strongest around, at that time anyway.Amazed a lot of people when he came out to SoCal, from NY, and some of his workouts. And there was a guy named Big Steve (whatever?) who upright rowed in the 240 to 250 range as a regular part of his workout, I believe..

Thanks again for all the memory's..great stuff.
F

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »
Glad they pinned this on the top of the thread. Great stuff Stunt. And thank you Funk51  for all the exceptional pictures. Your data base must be huge.

There was Rands Roundup, on Wilshire near downtown L.A., that a lot of BB'ers, lifters and football player used to go to. It was an all you could eat place. An ex-football coach of mine told me that. Heard of a place called Muscle House by the Sea, where  a lot of BB'ers hung out,  familiar with that Stunt? An older lady owned, or ran, it. Carrot juice was a big thing, for awhile, among BB'ers back in the day. Drink too much and the skin actually turned light orange, I was told. For white guys, anyway.

My two uncles (now in early 70's) worked on the Paramount lot (Melrose & Nan Ness) and the 20th Century lots (Western & Sunset... which has long been torn down). They weren't just BB'ers, but loved to workout with the odd lifts and the sub-culture of lifting back in the day. Learned a lot of old school training tips from them (like taking the regular BB curl and doing it at least 12 different ways and stuff like that). Funny thing about workouts, what a guy may think is a brand new way of working out may actually be old school, just going by another name.

Heard from the old timers that Marvin Eder was the super strongest around, at that time anyway.Amazed a lot of people when he came out to SoCal, from NY, and some of his workouts. And there was a guy named Big Steve (whatever?) who upright rowed in the 240 to 250 range as a regular part of his workout, I believe..

Thanks again for all the memory's..great stuff.

The lady who ran Muscle House by the sea was Fleurette Crettaz, but better known as 'Joy'. She is mentioned in Muscle Power Oct 1950 and she wrote a letter to Muscle Builder in 1965. She is gone now.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »
 :P
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »