Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 726363 times)

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2013, 04:50:54 PM »
yes but i have to say Funk has always posted great pics and info.
x2......absolutely true!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
x2......absolutely true!!!
yes it´s all great ...and to learn new things from stunt !!!  the Thread is alive ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2013, 05:46:29 PM »
And the hits keep coming!  Thanks again Funk51 and Stunt.

Besides the great shots of the BB'ers on the beach, are the buildings in the backgrounds...more of them now.. Really changed, since back in the day. And it was actually clean and everything doesn't look like totally jammed together in the pic's. Haven't been there for 5 or 6 years, but always a trip walking around.  A great culture shock for people not from SoCal.

Can see the influence of Gironda (he was also a excellent horseman) on most of Howorth's poses. Heard Howorth had a bit of trouble with the law and went away for a while. Maybe Stunt will know, but I think Brad Harris started as  stuntman. John Isaac's was Reg Park's brother-in-law, if that's the same guy doing the one arm incline curl.

Steve Marjanian was the guy of was thinking of, with his great up-right rows. Incline exceptional also. He and Cortez (the Pro wrestler) look like they could be the baddest bouncers around, the raw power look.

Those were classic bodies, during classic times for BB'ers. Draper still is outstanding. Tell by the pic of him standing with some of the other old timers, that his body frame was ideal and superior to the others.

Thanks again.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »
i believe you...his father was a stuntsman too i think. he did bike ride. Ok he believed running depleted the Body of Hormones ..won´t happen unless you run Marathons.
yup. Vince did ride I think it was like a ten speed bike back in the day.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2013, 08:58:47 PM »
Thanks once again to all you contributors.

I've been busy with family matters so thanks to you all for keeping this going

Since Steve Marganian was mentioned and since I recall the name but not the face, I looked for one his photos on the net to see if I had ever met him.

Now that I've seen his photo, I don't think I ever did but I sort of recall that he was a friend or associate of Bill Starr's who worked for Hoffman at one time and has some very interessting stories  of his own.

Bill was the author of ONLY THE STRONG WILL SURVIVE and I  did some proof reading before it was sent to the printers and Bill was generous enough to thank me for those  minor efforts in his first edition.

Bill is/was a great strength coach and most recently worked at John Hopkins University if I recall correctly.

Bill has told us some great, old day, lifting and bodybuilding stories and we have all encouraged him to write a book; so I hope that he gets it done soon now that he is retired.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »
Vince always seemed to be against running but I have an interview in Iron man where he went on a running kick for awhile. He said he got close to a 2 minute half mile. That is flying.
^^
Especially at his height he had to be 5 foot 7...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2013, 09:45:25 PM »
FUNK, thanks for posting the shot of Bill Mcardle. Sad to say that he passed away at an early age but here is a small bit of bodybuilding history you may find to be of interest.

Back in the 60's Bill was a young and upcoming bodybuilder in Southern Cal and he was being traine by Larry Scott himself for the upcoming Mr California Contest ... which was and still is a pretty prestigious title to win and hold.

But there was another young and upcoming contender who was training at a gym in the San Jose area of Norther California.

His name was and stilll is  .... John Corvello.

And John trained at a smal gy m called Moonlite Health Studio and had every intent to win the Cal title that year regarless of who was taining his main competition.

Now Larry was a very big name within the small world of bodybuilding back then ... so everyone felt that John would not have a chance competing against anyone who was trained by Larry.

So Bill appeared to be the forthcoming 'champion' and John was considered to be the underdog.

You gotta remember that back in these good old days  any gym member who was entering any bodybuilding contests was always  backed by the other gym members in full force and battle array. If was more of a gym vs gym event than an individual contestant vs contestant sort of gathering.

SO to make a long story short ..... it turned out to be one hell of a tough contest and the judges took over an hour to make  a decision, but it turned out to be a major upset an John took the 'bacon' home that night  ...... while Bill offered a hardy hand-shake.

I have no idea how Bill passed away but John moved to LA shortly after and shot some photos for Playgirl, ran a prestigious gym near Beverly Hills, and now I believe he is a stock broker in LA someplace.

The good old days when bodybuilders and bodybuilders comps were few and far between and there were no such things as big supplement stores or personal trainers.

ANd the major contests were mostly a gathering of friends helping friends to bring home a plastic trophy and some printed recognition is some national magazine.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2013, 08:59:52 AM »
FUNK, thanks for posting the shot of Bill Mcardle. Sad to say that he passed away at an early age but here is a small bit of bodybuilding history you may find to be of interest.

Back in the 60's Bill was a young and upcoming bodybuilder in Southern Cal and he was being traine by Larry Scott himself for the upcoming Mr California Contest ... which was and still is a pretty prestigious title to win and hold.

But there was another young and upcoming contender who was training at a gym in the San Jose area of Norther California.

And John trained at a smal gy m called Moonlite Health Studio and had every intent to win the Cal title that year regarless of who was taining his main competition.

Now Larry was a very big name within the small world of bodybuilding back then ... so everyone felt that John would not have a chance competing by anyone who was trained by Larry.

So Bill appeared to be the forthcoming 'champion' and John was considered to be the underdog.

You gotta remember that back in these good old days  any gym member who was entering any bodybuilding contests was always  backed by the other gym members in full force and battle array. If was more of a gym vs gym event than an individual contestant vs contestant sort of gathering.

SO to make a long story short ..... it turned out to be one hell for tough contest and the judges took over an hour to make  a decision, but it turned out to be a major upset an John took the 'bacon' home that night  ...... while Bill offered a hardy hand-shake.

I have no idea how Bill passed away but John moved to LA shortly after and shot some photos for Playgirl and now I believe he is a stock broker in LA someplace.

That was April 17, 1965- and Larry Scott guest posed.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2013, 10:23:21 AM »
yup. Vince did ride I think it was like a ten speed bike back in the day.
had one of These as a kid... ;D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »

Now Larry was a very big name within the small world of bodybuilding back then ... so everyone felt that John would not have a chance competing by anyone who was trained by Larry.

SO to make a long story short ..... it turned out to be one hell for tough contest and the judges took over an hour to make  a decision, but it turned out to be a major upset an John took the 'bacon' home that night  ...... while Bill offered a hardy hand-shake.

I have no idea how Bill passed away but John moved to LA shortly after and shot some photos for Playgirl and now I believe he is a stock broker in LA someplace.

[/quot pics of corvello.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2013, 10:32:06 AM »
 ;)stunt did you ever encounter either  of these two other johns in your travels john tristam or john koj...an???? the younger john k was quite a power house bench press champ and bb competitor but he burned out young and disappeared.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2013, 10:48:22 AM »
 :)reg park pressing heavy dbs on muscle beach, i wonder if pics were on same day as his brother-in-laws pic johnny issacs.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2013, 10:59:31 AM »
Funky Bro ...i like the pic of Reg pressing the Dumbbells. I think he did mainly Basic moves at least in Leeds as a lad...great man .

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »
FUNK, I do recall TRISTAM, but never did meet him and "No'' on the other whose name I don't even recall.

But I did meet Reg Park on a number of occasions. Even met Jon-Jon a few times also.

I first met REG when we were all still very young (sometime in the 50's) when he showed up at some lifting or bodybuilding event in Oakland to fill in for Steve Reeves because Reeves could not show up for some forgotten reason.

REG did a lot of strength stuff with heavy barbells but I don't recall the weight he was pressing over-head but it was considerably heavy.

I was a bit pissed off because I let an elderly lady get in front of me in line to buy a $2 (?) admission ticket ..... and that lady's ticket won a 405 pound olympic set that was was 'raffeled-off' when REG picked that ticket number out of a fish-bowl.

The good old days!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
I'll be skipping ahead a good number of years to post some information about the meeting we held in which the NPC became associated with the IFBB.

I posted this someplace else a day or so ago but I've been asked to post it here also due to  the fact that it is a major piece of bodybuilding history.

Gonna dress it up a bit and post it here ASAP.

JOE~ Do you recall the date when the bodybuilders disassociated themselves from the AAU? And was that the same date on which the NPC was born? I was involved but I am not too good at recalling the dates of all these historical bodybuilding  events. DOes the name JEROME WEISE jar anyone's memory? More on Jerome later.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2013, 12:15:44 PM »
My main inspirations for lifting were and still are Steve Reeves, Reg Park, Dave Draper and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
I admired Bill Pearl and trained for a time at Stern's  Gym in San Diego.  That place was a Hope Chest of memories.

Reeves and Draper had the greatest influence on me.  This thread stirs memories of personal aspirations never quite met.  But what matters most is a lifetime of health and a degree of strength and a physique above average.  That has been reward enough.

What passes for bodybuilding today is disgusting, both male and "female".  Pudgy Stockton was a beauty.  Christine Zane too.  Today's bodybuilding is little more than a puss filled boil.  If we are lucky, Arnold will lance it and titles such as Mr. America, Mr. Universe and  yes, Mr. Olympia will actually mean something to the people that really care.

Instead of a bunch of perverted size queens masquerading as judges.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »
My main inspirations for lifting were and still are Steve Reeves, Reg Park, Dave Draper and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
I admired Bill Pearl and trained for a time at Stern's  Gym in San Diego.  That place was a Hope Chest of memories.

Reeves and Draper had the greatest influence on me.  This thread stirs memories of personal aspirations never quite met.  But what matters most is a lifetime of health and a degree of strength and a physique above average.  That has been reward enough.

What passes for bodybuilding today is disgusting, both male and "female".  Pudgy Stockton was a beauty.  Christine Zane too.  Today's bodybuilding is little more than a puss filled boil.  If we are lucky, Arnold will lance it and titles such as Mr. America, Mr. Universe and  yes, Mr. Olympia will actually mean something to the people that really care.

agreed it's the old pandora's box thing again, when a little is good, but when a little becomes a lot problems arise.arnold is the only one to have a shot at accomplishing what you wish.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #193 on: June 15, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »

I wish i had met Bill Pearl in Person because on the phone he was a Gentleman.I think Reg Park would have been the same, brought up hard but intelligent...a Man. He served in the British Army too as a PTI ..physical Training instructor.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #194 on: June 15, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »
Stunt, here are some refs from my files about the NPC's early days:

Flex               N.P.C.      compiled by Joe Roark
        Apr 1983 p  84 Looking out for the amateurs- Demilia
        May 1983 p  14 Who controls BBing an America?- JM
        Jun 1983 p  18 The amateur view- Demilia
                 p  68 Official support for USA NPC
        Jul 1983 p  70 NPC & AFWB: good working relationaship- Demilia
        Aug 1983 p  70 NPC: megaforce in amateur athletics- Demilia
        Oct 1983 p  11 NPC rule changes
                 p  63 NPC membership drive- JM
        Dec 1983 p  75 NPC the amateur view- Demilia
        Jan 1984 p  75 NPC Arnold jumps on the bandwagon- JM
        Feb 1984 p  75 NPC coming on strong in Illinois- Demilia
        Apr 1984 p  14 NPC 1984 elections and major events- Denie
        Sep 1984 p  85 NPC who's who in your area?- JM
        Oct 1984 p 128 NPC amateur and pro in one easy step- JM
        Feb 1986 p  94 NPC at year's end 1985 NPC report- JM     

NPC / AAU
        MF Aug 1982  NPC sues AAU

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #195 on: June 15, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »
More from M&F:
    Sep 1982 p 179 Don't let the AAU sabotage the AFWB's hard-won
                       success- Doris B.
        Oct 1982 p 206 Why the NPC is suing the AAU- Dobbins
        Nov 1982 p 211 The NPC continues its legal action against
                       the AAU- Manion
        Feb 1983 p 221 NPC vs AAU; dust finally settles- Manion

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #196 on: June 15, 2013, 01:35:51 PM »
Thanks Joe :)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
JOE! Lots of interesting reading there. How do we read some of those articles?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2013, 03:35:12 PM »
NPC ASSOCIATION WITH IFBB ..... How it Came About.

Many years ago …. Around 1980 or so …. I attended a meeting in the Santa Monica City Auditorium on the Sunday morning following the previous night’s promotion of the Mr America Contest.

The meeting was held to determine if the bodybuilding organization we were all a part of would like to become associated with the IFBB.

Both Ben and Joe attended to make a formal proposal. The Hofman (York) representatives were also present. So was Dan Lurie and just about every other individual or company who had a vested interest.

Ben WEIDER, formally attired in a blue blaiser, grey slacks, an d an appropriate necktie was the only one to stand before all who were present and make a proposal.

His proposal was, “The IFBB would recognize the NPC as the US governing body for amateur competitive bodybuilders and  amateur contests, if the NPC would recognize the IFBB as the world governing body for professional bodybuilders and as the governing body for ALL amateur bodybuilding events outside of the US.

(If agreed to, the IFBB would not have any jurisdiction over US amateur events.)

A major battle followed that proposal but finally a vote was taken and the agreement was reached in accordance with Mr Ben Weider’s proposal.

Needless to say that there were other sanctioning bodies, but they were less well known and most of us in the USA would even today have difficulty naming any of hte winners of such contests. (Some exceptions apply of course.)

I should also state that those organizations  have never been officially recognized by the IFBB nor the NPC.

Second post submitted shortly after ,,,,,,,

As I mentioned earlier we (about 60 bodybuilders, magazine publishers, photographers, and state and national NPC officials) gathered together in a formal meeting under the watchful eye of a  gentleman who was knowledgeable about Robert’s Rules of Order regarding formal meetings such as this.

His familiarity with Robert’s Rules of Order assured one and all that this meeting would be conducted legally and ‘above-board’ and in a  democratic manner’.

‘Dictatorship’ type of proceedings never did occur. Nor was it mentioned or even ‘thunk-of'’ by anyone in attendance ….. not even among the antagonists. (And there were quite a few antagonists who wanted nothing to do with the IFBB.

You must understand that our only concern at this meeting was for amateur bodybuilding competitions within the USA and a possible future relationship with the IFBB.

So at the proper time in this proper meeting, Ben arose and made the offer as described in an earlier post.

The floor was given the opportunity to ask questions (there were many), to discuss Ben’s proposal openly (very heated arguments got underway), and  then vote on the proposal.

The votes were tallied while parties from all sides observed and made sure that the count was precisely correct.

This was not a secret agenda nor a secret vote.

Ben and his IFBB won that afternoon and shook hands with about 70% of those in attendance while the other 30% left the auditorium in disgust ….  the York group and Dan Louri (spelling) and his associates among others.

Back then there was only one ‘International’ bodybuilding organization that appeared to be working on the behalf of the competitors and attempting to give them the recognition that each competitor felt he deserved. (The ladies were not involved just yet. That would occur a few years later.)

That ‘International’ organization just so happened to be the IFBB. Others existed but were relatively unknown and for the most part were non-active within the US. (Help on this, Joe?)

None of them took the step to do any organizational work within the US similar to the efforts of Ben and Joe Weider. (I give Ben most of the credit in this regards.)

It helped a bit that  the IFBB had a magazine and every kid who ever saw the inside of a gym would die to get his picture in a national magazine.

So that magazine was another selling point that encouraged the NPC to join up with the IFBB.

Here comes a THE RUMOR DEPARTMENT !!!!…… RUMOR AHEAD!!!!

Back then the IFBB made numerous claims that it had  IFBB representatives within the world’s major countries which supported his claim that the IFBB was an international organization.

But many in the audience accused Ben of being mistaken because many of those ‘representatives’ were merely post office boxes and nothing more..

I can’t say much more about the international part of the IFBB but I will say that at one time not too long ago, Ben was successful in convincing the IOC that the IFBB was a world-wide international organization.

And I don’t recall any other bodybuilding organization objecting to his claim.

I personally know that you had to put up the good fight back then to make any bodybuilding organization a reality when the public wants to fight it an tear it apart,  but Joe and Ben fought long and hard for many years.

Some 'organizations' still exist today, but none that I am aware of have reached the heights of the IFBB, due to the fact that Ben and Joe fought with the world to make it what it is today … a multi million dollar enterprise that offers a few good men (and ladies) opportunities that they never would have had if it wasn’t due to the hard work and life-dedication of these two brothers from Canada

Someone correct me if any of the above is incorrect. But please … ONLY CORRECT ME IF YOU SAW IT WITH YOUR OWN TWO EYEBALLS.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2013, 03:47:01 PM »

[/quot pics of corvello.
these are the builds i can relate.i'm italian descent and have that thick/lean as well,chest,legs just good hard build,through training/good eating...