Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 726995 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #925 on: January 13, 2014, 11:52:37 AM »
Did it star Robert Taylor by any chance ?

Sasparilla is good stuff !  ;)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #926 on: January 13, 2014, 12:07:14 PM »
One other short story you may find interesting, WES!

I was on the Universal lot and noticed a large crew moving a lot of huge trees into a sound stage so I went inside to look around and immediately ran into a huge forest/jungle set.

As long as you looked two to three feet off the ground, it looked like you were in a real forest/jungle. All these trees and all these plants were sitting in large pots or mounted on plywood boards.

One of the crew members told me to go into the middle of this jungle and take a look at the jungle huit they ad just constrhucted.

So while they were still moving these trees and plants around, I found my way to te center of this jungle-ized soundstage and saw this very cool jungle hut that would be important in telling the story of this forthcoming film.

So I turn around to leave bte trail I took in was no longer there to take out because the crew had rearranged the trees and left me stranded.

So I looked up and saw the rafters and get some sense of direction and start walking thru the bush and hear someone following me.

I turn around thinking this guy knows the most direct way out but he's more lost than I am.

"I'm just here to see where we';ll be shooting tomorrow !"

It turned out to be George Peppard, but I have no idea what that movie was.

The crew was laughing when we finally got out of there.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
agner.
« Reply #927 on: January 13, 2014, 12:09:47 PM »
WES, Did RObert Taylor ever play in a Prince Valient movie? I'm thinking more like RObert Wagner., but you could be correct.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #928 on: January 13, 2014, 12:16:43 PM »
WES, Did RObert Taylor ever play in a Prince Valient movie? I'm thinking more like RObert Wagner., but you could be correct.
I`m thinking "The Black Knight" and/or "Ivanhoe" which both starred Taylor  ???

I like the jungle hut story!  :)

I was never a big fan of George Peppard,but I do like him better than Casey Affleck!  ;D

JUST KIDDING!!  :D

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #929 on: January 13, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »
DAMN!! WES!, Ivanho was back in 1952. That was the first movie "set" i was ever on. Hollywood came to the San Francisco Golden Gate Park to film a horse riding scene which they apparently could not film in the LA area. That was the first time I saw how well organized a film production crew really is,

But it still took a lot of time to shoot a scene that was probably no longer than 60 seconds on the silver screen.

That BLACK KNIGHT title is
unknown to me.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #930 on: January 13, 2014, 02:18:01 PM »
One other short story you may find interesting, WES!

I was on the Universal lot and noticed a large crew moving a lot of huge trees into a sound stage so I went inside to look around and immediately ran into a huge forest/jungle set.

As long as you looked two to three feet off the ground, it looked like you were in a real forest/jungle. All these trees and all these plants were sitting in large pots or mounted on plywood boards.

One of the crew members told me to go into the middle of this jungle and take a look at the jungle huit they ad just constrhucted.

So while they were still moving these trees and plants around, I found my way to te center of this jungle-ized soundstage and saw this very cool jungle hut that would be important in telling the story of this forthcoming film.

So I turn around to leave bte trail I took in was no longer there to take out because the crew had rearranged the trees and left me stranded.

So I looked up and saw the rafters and get some sense of direction and start walking thru the bush and hear someone following me.

I turn around thinking this guy knows the most direct way out but he's more lost than I am.

"I'm just here to see where we';ll be shooting tomorrow !"

It turned out to be George Peppard, but I have no idea what that movie was.

The crew was laughing when we finally got out of there.
^^
Must have been "Sands of the Kalahari", with the baboons hunting the group in the jungle... this was a 1965 film!!!
Much respect, STUNT- I wasn't even born yet!!!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #931 on: January 13, 2014, 02:44:54 PM »
SPRITZ, I think you are 100% correct because it was around 1965 to the best of my recollection.

FIVE MINUTES LATER .... I just check Sands of the Kalihari and that was not a Universal picture. In fact it wasm't even shot in the LA Area. ANd according to IMDB, George Peppard was not in it,

But the 1965 date is most likely correcrt. Checking Peppard movies around that year ....

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #932 on: January 13, 2014, 03:23:07 PM »
DAMN!! WES!, Ivanho was back in 1952. That was the first movie "set" i was ever on. Hollywood came to the San Francisco Golden Gate Park to film a horse riding scene which they apparently could not film in the LA area. That was the first time I saw how well organized a film production crew really is,

But it still took a lot of time to shoot a scene that was probably no longer than 60 seconds on the silver screen.

That BLACK KNIGHT title is
unknown to me.

COOL!  :)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #933 on: January 13, 2014, 07:15:52 PM »
Wes, did you say you were also in the industry at one point, or am I mistaken?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #934 on: January 13, 2014, 08:31:33 PM »
Wes, did you say you were also in the industry at one point, or am I mistaken?
Yes,I did but I was just fucking with Stunt!  LOL  :D

I was in Pumping Iron though.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #935 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:07 PM »

I was in Pumping Iron though.

Still fucking around?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #936 on: January 13, 2014, 08:52:53 PM »
Still fucking around?
No,really,I`m in two crowd scenes when Mike Katz in guest posing.

Unfortunately,they didn`t let me have a speaking role.  :D

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #937 on: January 13, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »

Oh, ok, that's cool.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #938 on: January 13, 2014, 09:09:24 PM »

^^
I wish someone could upload a screen shot of the crowd scene and you can point out where you are:  your T-shirt color, etc...

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #939 on: January 13, 2014, 09:16:33 PM »
Laura is a clasic.

Hard to name just one but here`s a few that I like the most:

"Kiss Of Death"-Victor Mature and a brutal early appearance by Richard Widmark where he kills his own mother!!

"Out Of The Past"-Robert Mitchum trying to change his past life but his former cronies won`t allow it.

"White Heat"-My man Cagney at his best with my man Sreve Ciochran also.

"I,Mobster"-Another one with Steve Cochran..kind of obscure.........Cochran never got his just due as far as great roles went,but whatever he played,he was great in.

"Key Largo"-Bogart,Bacall,Edward G.Robinson,Claire Trevor.....need I say more? A true classic.

I must own over 400 Film Noir Flicks alone and hundreds and hundreds of other movies of almost ever genre`.

Notable Mentions:

"Side Street"

"The Killers" (the one with Lancaster not Lee Marvin and Ron Reagan,although that ones good also.)

"The Maltese Falcon"(who doesn`t love Sidney Greenstreet,Peter Lorre,Barton McLane and Ward Bond as 2 prick cops,as well as that great character actor ,Elisha Cook Jr. ?

"Double Indemnity"

"The Desperate Hours"

"Dark Passage:"-Another great Bogie/Bacall flick.

"Railroaded"- John Ireland

"Hoodlum" -Lawrence Tierney brother of Scott Brady

Shit,I could go on for weeks,but I`ll spare you!  ;D

Wes,
Great list.  I'm sorry to say a few of those titles I don't recognize.  I will say Maltese Falcon is in a class by itself (and I actually own a replica of the falcon).  Double Indemnity is truly great;  "maybe we're both a little rotten."  Certainly my second favorite noir would be Mildred Pierce.  One movie I've recently come to like is His Kind of Woman (Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Raymond Burr).  It's been a long time, but I remember D.O.A. as being very good.  Somewhat along those lines, I would truly love to see Ed Wood's Jail Bait, which has Steve Reeves in it.  

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #940 on: January 13, 2014, 09:24:03 PM »
^^
I wish someone could upload a screen shot of the crowd scene and you can point out where you are:  your T-shirt color, etc...
bradistani posted a screen shot of it a long time ago..it`s on my other PC though.

I`ll PM him and ask if he still has it and if not can he do it again.

I`m skinny,long shitty looking hair,cigarette,with my buddy who was a teenage beast.

Yes,I was good looking even back then.  LOL  :D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #941 on: January 13, 2014, 09:28:28 PM »
Wes,
Great list.  I'm sorry to say a few of those titles I don't recognize.  I will say Maltese Falcon is in a class by itself (and I actually own a replica of the falcon).  Double Indemnity is truly great;  "maybe we're both a little rotten."  Certainly my second favorite noir would be Mildred Pierce.  One movie I've recently come to like is His Kind of Woman (Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Raymond Burr).  It's been a long time, but I remember D.O.A. as being very good.  Somewhat along those lines, I would truly love to see Ed Wood's Jail Bait, which has Steve Reeves in it. 
I have a DVR copy of Jailbait.......Steve reeves baby!  :D

D.O.A.,also have it,Edmund O`Brian is great in it.

Gotta` look into "His Kind Of Woman" a new one on me but great cast.

That bust of the Maltese Falcon must be awesomely cool.

Mildred Pierce..Joan Crawford right  ???

Saw it but eons ago,just a blur in my old mindless mind.

A great place to buy DVD`s like noir which are hard to find without paying an arm and a leg is Amazon.I get most of my movies from there..great prices and really hard to find and obscure noir.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #942 on: January 14, 2014, 09:57:03 AM »
OK, here's a forgettable bodybuilding movie no one has ever seen. It played as a second feature to Elvis Presley's KISSING COUSINS and was called THE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST- years before the Disney animated project and not at all related.

I don't recall the exact story-line but a young girl in her 20's arrives at the Santa Monica Greyhound Bus Station ... I used that station often ... and befriends a bodybuilder whom she meets by the beach.

The rest of the story was forgettable but it was possibly the first movie in which a bodybuilder was portrayed by a bodybuilder and in the major role along the girl.

This is one of the very few films which is not listed on the IMDB web site unless it was added recently.

Anyone recall seeing this one?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #943 on: January 14, 2014, 10:43:12 AM »
That`s a new one on me Stunt......must be a really obscure "B" movie,but I bet I`d like it.

Anabol

• Getbig II
« Reply #944 on: January 14, 2014, 11:40:56 AM »
Yes, good thread. Here is another cool story.
It was 1825, venice beach. Bill was going to the beach. And saw Larry Scot. Larry was doing benchpress.
Bill told Larry - Hello ! Larry told him Hi !

Insane and cool stuff. That was a good time ! 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #945 on: January 14, 2014, 11:50:36 AM »
 ;D   did you ever encounter this guy on the beach.
F

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #946 on: January 14, 2014, 12:03:22 PM »
It was 1825, venice beach. Bill was going to the beach. And saw Larry Scot. Larry was doing benchpress.

Unnecessary, guy.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #947 on: January 14, 2014, 12:39:26 PM »

::)is this the bill and larry to whom you refer.... ::) ::) ::) ::)
F

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #948 on: January 14, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
Say funk….nothing new. I find that most younger people could give a rats ass about history, be it Bodybuilding or USA history. The world started when they were hatched and will end the moment they cry "Hey man, WTF is happening here?" and their last breath leaves their body.

Even my own adult grandchildren don't really give a damn about our collective family history. I have a businessman grandson living in Chicago. He considers himself Mr. Everything Chicago but has never seen his great x 5 grandfathers name on buildings and monuments around the City. Even a large nearby city named after the old man.

I have trained a few times with Pearl and worked out next to Scott. I love those pics thank you.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #949 on: January 14, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »
MB,  You gotta thank FUNK and I'll take this oppertunity to thank him and the other picture and story posters also.

I gotta agree with your comments about the younger generation, but when I was a part of that younger generation, I think I felt likewise.

In fact there  is only one cousin in my family who has any interest in our family geneology.
She got as far  back as about 400years ago and discovered tha she was related to that original English FISH and CHIPS fast food chain that was so popular years ago  which is another name I have forgotten.

But one interesting 'geneoloical' "Way Back" (Sorry, Mr. Peabody!) story is often told at family reunions whiich I think I have mentioned earlier ...  Most of my family members are heavy drinkers so this story usually ends up with what some of us  saner ones call the annual family Indian War Dance

It was either  my great or great-great  or great-great-great grandmother that had a Pow- Wow with a Cherokee in a Tee-Pee on her way out west.

But that ancient Pow Wow did not qualify me to receive some of the US Government wam-pum that others of my tribe receive each and every new moon.

So that was about the extent of my previous lifetime interest and I think most young'uns feel somewhat similar. That old saying, "Young and dumb and full of .....!" will never change no matter how many generation follow this present one.

Oh yea, some others (or maybe it was just one) came to the US fron England via Austrailia ... Definitely some of Europe's  best criminals if those traits continue down through the generations.

And ... I've known Bill for a good number of years now, but only met Harry once and at one time was a good friiend of Solo ElFenzy. (You probably met solo  or Rob Johnson or Bouvier if you trained with Bill in Pasadena. Good people - all! Jail-time or not!)

One thing about Bill, once he meets you  ... he never forgets your name. And the last I heard, he's still training every morning before the sun comes up,.

And Larry Scott... I still think he's one of the best bodybuilders I've ever met... He and Nubret are among the best of all time as far as my thoughts go.

Larry is the only bodybuilder who put on a seminar that held my total and complete interest. I'll tell you how he did it if there is any interest.

Thanks for kick'en my memory brain cells, MD  ... the few that still remain.