Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 723031 times)

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #1050 on: March 05, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »
Back to early 1990s, I had trained at Joe Gold's World Gym for weeks.
And as i remember that Joe Gold is a very very nice guy. he is a great legend !
here is a pic of Lee Priest when he trained there too.

I used to train there during that time. May have seen you there...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1051 on: March 19, 2014, 10:28:49 AM »
 ;D MB  backdrop for a movie. some triva julie newmar was supposed to do the sharon tate role as malibu but she had shooting conflicts. sharon tate got 750 bucks a week to shoot don't make waves. a stuntman died in the pacific ovean shooting the skydiving sequence.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1052 on: March 19, 2014, 10:29:57 AM »
 ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1053 on: March 19, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »
 ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1054 on: March 19, 2014, 10:32:06 AM »
 ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1055 on: March 19, 2014, 10:35:11 AM »
an odd coincidence the byrds did the music for the movie and their producer first owned the house where sharon tate was later murdered by the manson clan.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1056 on: March 19, 2014, 10:39:12 AM »
 ;D they also shot a movie called the hustler of muscle beach it had tim kimber in it and lisa lyon.
F

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1057 on: March 22, 2014, 09:05:01 AM »
;D they also shot a movie called the hustler of muscle beach it had tim kimber in it and lisa lyon.

Yup.  I saw that made for TV film.  Zane had a small part in it as himself being (I think)  a commenter on the physique competition.  Overall, it was a bad film.   ;D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1058 on: March 22, 2014, 02:18:06 PM »
Yup.  I saw that made for TV film.  Zane had a small part in it as himself being (I think)  a commenter on the physique competition.  Overall, it was a bad film.   ;D
yup a bad film ,but better than this one.
F

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1059 on: March 23, 2014, 11:29:07 AM »

Yeah, but that one had Don Rickles as "Jack Fanny"!  ;D    "All muscles are beautiful. Today, we'll study the latissimus.  The latissimus is beautiful because, it's a muscle..."

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1060 on: March 23, 2014, 03:15:58 PM »

Ahh cool! Peter Lupus (on the right) went on to TV's "Mission Impossible" fame. I read he's 84 now and has a business (or did) in Scottsdale, AZ.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1061 on: March 24, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »
Ahh cool! Peter Lupus (on the right) went on to TV's "Mission Impossible" fame. I read he's 84 now and has a business (or did) in Scottsdale, AZ.
and  he claims to be one of the oldest guys to bench press 300 lbs yet a couple of years ago.
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1062 on: March 25, 2014, 11:21:36 AM »
I realize that there is another spot to place this LARRY SCOTT topic but since I first met Larry on the Santa Monica Beach (the former Muscle Beach), I’ll place it here.

It was sometime during  the early 60’s while I was stationed at Pendleton and happened to be in the LA area with a side trip to the beach and ran into Larry who was taking a day off and getting a sun-tan while talking to some of his friends.

That first meeting was just a casual  “Hello. How ya doing?”,  but our paths were to cross on many different occasions during both our lifetimes.

I worked with Larry during a couple of  his seminars and have to  admit  that he offered the best bodybuilding seminars I’ve had the opportunity to attend or to  participate in.

Larry would start off with a brief introduction and then ask the audience to ask questions which he would then proceed to write on a blackboard resulting in something similar to the following ….

DIET
TRAINING
CONTEST PREP
SUPPLEMENTS
STEROIDS
JOE WEIDER
VINCE GIRONDA
ETC.
ETC,
ETC.

Once the questions were complete he’d start at the top and discuss each topic in great detail.

The “JOE WEIDER” question always  arose because at that time there was some problem between Joe and Larry, but Larry would discuss the subject with a great amount of respect.

(Does anyone recall what that problem was? I have forgotten long ago.)

When discussing “VINCE’… it always centered about leg training techniques as Vince believed that heavy squats were not beneficial. 
So Larry would train elsewhere on ‘leg day’.

At the end of each seminar Larry would offer to answer individual questions if anyone wished to stay for the next half hour or so.

I may be wrong here, but I think it was Larry who initiated the off season, bulk-up phase in which he would increase his body-weight substantially and then go into a pre-contest phase 12 weeks before the contest date.

Does anyone recall what Larry’s heaviest bodywt happened to be?

RIP, Larry

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1063 on: March 25, 2014, 02:36:30 PM »
maybe between 215 to 220 lbs but he didn't like his jowels were beginning to look, when he retired he left his bodyweight go down to 168 or so until he mounted his first comeback.
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1064 on: March 25, 2014, 04:15:23 PM »
FUNK, this is a wild guess cause it was so long ago but I think his bodywt was way more than 220 when he did some guest posing atone of the local  high schools in the vicinity of Newport Beach back around 1965.

Possibly around 240. Definitely miles away from contest shape.

We took a couple of photos with Larry at that size, but they have been gone long ago.

I'll see if G. Mozee can give me a correct update. But I'll say again, Larry was one of he first pros who took his bodywt  up 10 to 20% beyond his competitive wt..

I could be wrong but that's how I recall those good old days.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1065 on: March 25, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »
Regarding Peter Lupus .... He competed in a small contest (they were all small contests back then when the only people in attendance were family members, fellow gym members, and good friends of the competitors). 40 max in attendance.

This particular small contest was held on a baseball field in Palm Springs and the contest consisted of about 8 competitors from the L.A. area. The same competitors who always showed up in an attempt to win a metal trophy ... plastic trophies were not too common then.

Peter Lupus was one of the competitors and that particular contest was won by DON PETERS.

That was the day that Gypsy Boots showed up and threw a football for a damn long distance which impressed most fans in the bleachers.

And that was the day I returned to the base with a different colored car due to the removal of all the paint as a result of driving throgh  a massive sandstorm on that long stretch of road heading out of Palm Springs.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1066 on: March 25, 2014, 06:31:29 PM »
Gypsy was everywhere in the L.A. scene from Hollywood Blvd. to Muscle Beach. When the Oakland Raiders showed up at the L.A. Coleseum so did Gypsy. He was the only individual the security allowed on the field. He would walk up and down the field with bells and horns getting the fans involved. Every year for some 10-15 years KTLA Los Angeles would have in their parking lot on his birthday tossing a football. At 75 he could hurl it some 60 yards. Bikini clad girls would cheer him on then smother him with kisses after the feat.

I second to last time I saw him was at a health food store counter in Pasadena about 1988. Harry Pearl (Bill's brother) just whipped us up two protein smoothies. Gypsy was complaining about his hemroids. I told him to mega dose on Rutin and other bioflavanoids. A few months later at a Pasadena fitness/health fair he sees me from his booth (he was selling something green) and yells across the hall…"Hey Mortimer thanks again for fixing my hemroids". A dozen  surprised attendies all turned to me and smiled. I had nowhere to hide.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1067 on: March 26, 2014, 08:50:23 AM »
Gypsy was everywhere in the L.A. scene from Hollywood Blvd. to Muscle Beach. When the Oakland Raiders showed up at the L.A. Coleseum so did Gypsy. He was the only individual the security allowed on the field. He would walk up and down the field with bells and horns getting the fans involved. Every year for some 10-15 years KTLA Los Angeles would have in their parking lot on his birthday tossing a football. At 75 he could hurl it some 60 yards. Bikini clad girls would cheer him on then smother him with kisses after the feat.

I second to last time I saw him was at a health food store counter in Pasadena about 1988. Harry Pearl (Bill's brother) just whipped us up two protein smoothies. Gypsy was complaining about his hemroids. I told him to mega dose on Rutin and other bioflavanoids. A few months later at a Pasadena fitness/health fair he sees me from his booth (he was selling something green) and yells across the hall…"Hey Mortimer thanks again for fixing my hemroids". A dozen  surprised attendies all turned to me and smiled. I had nowhere to hide.
;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1068 on: March 26, 2014, 08:56:51 AM »
FUNK, this is a wild guess cause it was so long ago but I think his bodywt was way more than 220 when he did some guest posing atone of the local  high schools in the vicinity of Newport Beach back around 1965.

Possibly around 240. Definitely miles away from contest shape.

We took a couple of photos with Larry at that size, but they have been gone long ago.

I'll see if G. Mozee can give me a correct update. But I'll say again, Larry was one of he first pros who took his bodywt  up 10 to 20% beyond his competitive wt..

I could be wrong but that's how I recall those good old days.

you might be right, i think larry was one of the first bulk up than cut up guys.this might be a bulked up pic. i know of one other but can't find it .
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1069 on: March 26, 2014, 09:55:28 AM »
FUNK, It's good to see that someone else recalls that Larry was possibly one of the first competitors to go through a BULK-UP  phase before 'cutting-up' for the contest.

I can't recall anyone else before him that went through that 'bulk-up/cut up'  method of contest-prep.

That day he guest posed as mentioned above .... he actually looked like the twin brother of the Pillsburry Dough Boy.

And to be perfectly honest ... I don't think you'll ever find a photo of a totally ripped-up Larry Scott.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1070 on: March 26, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »
FUNK, It's good to see that someone else recalls that Larry was possibly one of the first competitors to go through a BULK-UP  phase before 'cutting-up' for the contest.

I can't recall anyone else before him that went through that 'bulk-up/cut up'  method of contest-prep.

That day he guest posed as mentioned above .... he actually looked like the twin brother of the Pillsburry Dough Boy.

And to be perfectly honest ... I don't think you'll ever find a photo of a totally ripped-up Larry Scott.
maybe second if you want to count bruce randall but not sure what he did would qualify, as he carried bulking up to the extreme.415 lbs down to below 200 and back to 230 lbs to win nabba mr u.
F

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1071 on: March 26, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »

But did guys really get super ripped at all back then?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1072 on: March 26, 2014, 04:48:51 PM »
UGLY, You're right, but there was one competitor who was an exception in the early 60's. I mentioned him before (a few years back).

His diet consisted of nothing more that a cans of tuna after it was strained through a nylon stocking. Once that was done ... it appeared  to be the consistency of saw-dust.

Four to six months of tuna and an occasional tablespoon of honey made him look like he was tured inside-out and won him the annual metal medallion on the red, white , and blue ribbon that everyone strived to win.

I believe he initiated the ripped-up look before anyone knew what 'ripped-up' meant.

Only saw him enter one event, so it's possible that he died shortly after.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1073 on: March 26, 2014, 08:43:50 PM »
UGLY, You're right, but there was one competitor who was an exception in the early 60's. I mentioned him before (a few years back).

His diet consisted of nothing more that a cans of tuna after it was strained through a nylon stocking. Once that was done ... it appeared  to be the consistency of saw-dust.

Four to six months of tuna and an occasional tablespoon of honey made him look like he was tured inside-out and won him the annual metal medallion on the red, white , and blue ribbon that everyone strived to win.

I believe he initiated the ripped-up look before anyone knew what 'ripped-up' meant.

Only saw him enter one event, so it's possible that he died shortly after.

Stunt, great that he was shredded, but MAN, what a miserable diet.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1074 on: March 27, 2014, 07:18:28 AM »
But did guys really get super ripped at all back then?
here's a couple from that early era 1955-68
F