Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 726335 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #1075 on: March 27, 2014, 10:00:12 AM »
FUNK, that ripped-up Hinds picture is a surprise to me. I don't recall ever meeting him back in those good old days, but while doing some research to see if our paths ever crossed ... I came across an interesting article that was written about HOFFMAN around the time that photo was taken.

I suggest you read it as it can be found here ... http://www.musclememory.com/showArticle.php?mb561023

ANd it's pretty damn interesting and based on one solitary meeting/observation I had with Mr HOFFMAN, I'd say it's pretty damn accurate.

More on that statement if there is any interest.

You have to realize that HOFFMAN was the principal player in all things weight related around that time. But read the link for the rest of the story ... but not the complete story.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1076 on: March 27, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »
FUNK, that ripped-up Hinds picture is a surprise to me. I don't recall ever meeting him back in those good old days, but while doing some research to see if our paths ever crossed ... I came across an interesting article that was written about HOFFMAN around the time that photo was taken.

I suggest you read it as it can be found here ... http://www.musclememory.com/showArticle.php?mb561023

ANd it's pretty damn interesting and based on one solitary meeting/observation I had with Mr HOFFMAN, I'd say it's pretty damn accurate.

You have to realize that HOFFMAN was the principal player in all things weight related around that time. But read the link for the rest of the story ... but not the complete story.

Stunt,  there was a DVD of the first Mr. Olympia made by a  guy that was there with a Super 8 camera.  He also included footage of Olympic lifters and talked about how they took steroids and how it improved their lifting.  He also mentioned dreading eating breakfast with Hoffman and company at a restaurant as he wanted to look like good man/healthy eater.

He said Hoffman at something like chicken fried steak and gravy like it was going out of style.  Bob H. was all about the health.  We're all human, some  of us at the top just want to appear more super human.  And truth be told, without the drugs those at the top would be a lot further down towards the bottom.  Especially the jokers of today.

Hoffman and Weider supposedly hated one another too.  Go figure.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1077 on: March 27, 2014, 07:01:46 PM »
SCOTT, I think I saw the Super-8 version of that DVD you mentioned above. I saw it when DVD's weren't even thought of yet. Even computers were non-existant.

If that contest coverage included a competitor by the name of Rock Stonewall, I definitely saw it. And Scott was damn impressive.

Years later when Pete G and the partners sponsored the Nationals in Las Vegas, we had a reception party for all the VIPs and I finally had the opportunity to sit and have a short talk with Mr. Stonewall as well as many other of the old time greats whose names I have long forgotten.

And speaking of Mr Hoffman ,,, there's enough of a story there to fill a book and produce a major motion picture  unless some of the participants pass away before it's written and put to print, but I was partially involved in an insignificant capacity when all this historical bodybuilding stuff was going on and was a prart at the major meeting when all the big shots got together to make the decision to break away from the AAU and then to accept the invitation from Joe and Ben to become somewhat associated with the IFBB as it was back then.

That meeting was helkd in the Santa Monica CIvic AUditorium the Sunday following Gary Leonard's win of the Mr America title .

Just about eveyone who was anyone was in attendence including the likes of the Hofffmam group  led by Mr Terpak (if my memory serves me well), Dan Louri, Joe and Ben Weider, and a large contingent of people who were somehow associated the the Weider's in the past, some of whom did not speak in favor of their former bosses.

One old time weider associate even took the floor to inform one and all that the International IFBB was mainly composed of individual foreign PO Boxes from which small kids would pick up the mail on  a continual basis.

But that meeting was run on a formal and very legal basis (Robert's Rules of Order) and it was Ben Weider himself who was hte only individual pereson who showed up in a suit and tie (an Oxford looking blazer) fully prepared and made an offer to the present governing body whose names I have forgotten except for the likes of Jerome weise and Ralph Countryman.

When the proper time arrive, Ben took the follr and make something like the following offer ...

a. The IFBB would recognize the NPC as the sole governing body for all amateur bodybuilding contests that were to be held in the US and its possessions.

b. In return the IFBB would not sanction nor promote amateur bodybuilding contests within the US and/or its possessions.

c, And the NPC  would recognize the IFBB as the sole governing bodybuilding  organization for professional bodybuilding contests within the US and as the sole governing bodybuilding organization for amateur and professional bodybuilding events outside of the USA.

This resulted in numeeous and very heavy arguments from the floor ... mainly from the Hoffman group and Dan L. ... but a vote was taken and the Weiders won the day.

Ben and a very silent Joe  won that day because they made an offer that could not be refused .... while the others came unprepared and left disappointed.

The Weiders has the advantage due to the fact that they had a magazine that was in full support of the bodybuilders and refused to use bodybuilding competitions to draw a crowd for the monotony of many hours of Olympilc lifting competitions in which the bodybuilding comps were held after the lifting trophies were presented which was more than once ... about 2 PM in the morning.

More stuff went on ... but that's enough

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1078 on: March 28, 2014, 08:58:29 AM »
i think the dvd you are talking about was shot by a young man at the time by the name of norn komnich he has since died. i have a copy of the dvd which i purchased off of norm for 2 dollars[he wasn't trying to get rich off it that's for sure.] he was good friends with chuck sipes and there's some of that footage on there too. plus other contests. rock stonewall was defintely on it. along with many others .
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1079 on: March 28, 2014, 09:14:39 AM »

a pic from that contest look at 5 th place man  harry johnson and steve k who actually was the first mr america to graduate from college.
F

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1080 on: March 31, 2014, 03:44:43 PM »
a pic from that contest look at 5 th place man  harry johnson and steve k who actually was the first mr america to graduate from college.

When politics, nepotism or what have you raises its heinous head, its rare indeed to find someone willing to cut it off.   I think Padilla was the rightful winner of the '81 Olympia.  I would have gone with Paris in several Olympias as well.  Bodybuilding is a highly subjective pageant, ergo it is subject to the whims (unsavory and otherwise) of the often inappropriately nominated judges.

Unless it's a different gentleman, it does appear that Mr. Johnson went on to win the A in 1959, but I agree he looks better in the photo of the '55 Mr. America than the winner that you displayed in your post.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1081 on: March 31, 2014, 03:51:11 PM »
When politics, nepotism or what have you raises its heinous head, its rare indeed to find someone willing to cut it off.   I think Padilla was the rightful winner of the '81 Olympia.  I would have gone with Paris in several Olympias as well.  Bodybuilding is a highly subjective pageant, ergo it is subject to the whims (unsavory and otherwise) of the often in appropriately nominated judges.

Unless it's a different gentleman, it does appear that Mr. Johnson went on to win the A in 1959, but I agree he looks better in the photo of the '55 Mr. America than the winner that you displayed in your post.
same johnson. aau with hoffman pulling the strings  did this for years. to hoffman bbing contest were a sissified sport as compared to weightlifting.sergio oliva, harold poole, arthur harris,marvin eder,geo paine were just some to feel his wrath. a lot of it is chronicled in john fair's book.
F

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1082 on: March 31, 2014, 04:15:21 PM »
same johnson. aau with hoffman pulling the strings  did this for years. to hoffman bbing contest were a sissified sport as compared to weightlifting.sergio oliva, harold poole, arthur harris,marvin eder,geo paine were just some to feel his wrath. a lot of it is chronicled in john fair's book.

Yeah, I once read a quote from Steve Reeves on the first Mr. Universe in England which he lost to John Grimek.  Reeves said they were tied and to break said tie they had to display some sort of athleticism or the sort and Grimek did a bit of gymnastics and his muscle control act and won.   Reeves said he was disappointed because he thought it was a physique competition, not a gymnastics display. 

I think Hoffman had plenty to do with this decision.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1083 on: April 01, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »
John Fair's upcoming book on the history of the AAU Mr. America contest should be very informative.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1084 on: April 01, 2014, 07:46:08 PM »
Keep us informed, Joe.

I hope his book includes the real reasons why the AAU went under regarding the control/sanctioning of bodybuilding contests.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1085 on: April 02, 2014, 09:30:41 AM »
John Fair's upcoming book on the history of the AAU Mr. America contest should be very informative.
thanks for the heads up joe looking forward to it.
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1086 on: April 02, 2014, 10:44:04 AM »
JOE, I was an active participant in the separation of the AAU from bodybuilding and only wish that I had tape recorded a couple of those important meetings.

Especially the big meeting at the Santa Monica CIvic Audirotium in which both of the Weider's were involved along with the Hoffman group (Mr Hoffman himself was not present), Dan Louri (spelling?), and a vast number of other antagonists and supporters within the bodybuilding world.

That was the formal meeting which decided that the NPC (was the NPC in fact organized at that point or was it in a 'transition' phase?) would recognize the IFBB as the world governing body etc, etc .... as stated in an earlier post.

It  should prove interesting to read how another individual saw how this separation occured as I have long forgotten the finer details.

But the two names that I can recall who were most instrumental in creating this separation from the AAU were Ralph Countryman and Jerome Weise. Most others just cast a vote in response to their recommentdations.

I'd like to see if my memory of all this stuff serves me correctly. and look foreward to reading Mr, Fair's book  mentioned above.

Thanks, Joe!

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #1087 on: April 02, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »

Joe, Do you have any idea when the release date for this will be? Sounds interesting...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1088 on: April 02, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »
Joe, Do you have any idea when the release date for this will be? Sounds interesting...
there is a 30 page pdf of a john fair article entitled mr america idealism and rascism 1941-1982. on line.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1089 on: April 02, 2014, 12:58:43 PM »
there is a 30 page pdf of a john fair article entitled mr america idealism and rascism 1941-1982. on line.
it's a good article in it harry johnson who won the 1959 mr america aau title himself said arthur harris should have won the title that year. johnson should have won the klisanin year i guess klisanin won because he was the first college graduate to win the title. once again you decide should johnson have  placed  5 th this year.
F

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #1090 on: April 03, 2014, 01:28:49 PM »
Steven, thanks, just went and read Fairs Mr. America PDF from IGH again.
A well done and interesting story...

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1091 on: April 03, 2014, 02:00:12 PM »
I believe the book should be released this year. But who knows, the second planned volume of Jan Delinger's files has been delayed even though he sent it to the printer years ago.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1092 on: April 15, 2014, 08:45:03 PM »

Hercules drives a jeep!

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #1093 on: April 27, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1094 on: May 09, 2014, 06:46:33 PM »
Some great reading and photographs here:   http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/IGH/IGH0604/IGH0604a.pdf

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #1095 on: May 12, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »
Some great reading and photographs here:   http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/IGH/IGH0604/IGH0604a.pdf

A great journal / magazine... Been a subscriber for many years... (IGH)

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #1096 on: May 17, 2014, 11:22:01 AM »
George's gym on Sahara was my hangout in Vegas, part of my selling territory. He was always in the gym, most of the time doing one set every half hour. Shall we say recovery time? He and my father in law had a mutual best friend so I was able to confuse George with some little jabs on his youth and WWll days....he never could figure out where I got my info. Funs times with a great guy.

Scott, not all Bodybuilders who dabble in AAS are scum. Some of the finest men in my travels incl. Doctors, business men, scientists, ministers, entrepanuers, and one Congressman (the good kind) dabbled a bit. And yes there are lots of scums in our gyms and on stage. There are scums in all walks of life. Now do I prefer the Old School physiques myself over the gorilla belly idiots parading out there now ('most' of the 212s excepted).....YES.
wutever happened to George's gym. I worked out there a few times. Wish I had a t shirt or something from there

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1097 on: May 17, 2014, 01:31:57 PM »
SLIK, I don't know the exact year nor the exact reason why George sold his gym that was located within that Sahara Ave shopping complex ... but we became good friends shortly after.

I think that he simply wanted to retire and spend some time with his wife in Hawaii for a short while.

Plus there was starting to be a hell of a lot of competition in LV back then.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1098 on: June 01, 2014, 06:16:11 AM »

Reeves and Pederson, standing relaxed.  No stupid arms stuck out to the sides like you're some sort of human albatross here, just class.

I think the numbering of contestants was done via height with the taller having the greater number.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1099 on: June 02, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »

Reeves and Pederson, standing relaxed.  No stupid arms stuck out to the sides like you're some sort of human albatross here, just class.

I think the numbering of contestants was done via height with the taller having the greater number.
NICE PIC ...CLASSIC..