Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 726036 times)

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #1175 on: July 25, 2014, 11:23:10 AM »
Honest BOB, If you're honestly being honest, I gotta say, " I honestly thank ya."

But ... We've honestly gotta say that we've been getting a bit off topic lately.

100% being honestly honest, honest.

Stay off topic as well, it all makes for interesting reading.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1176 on: July 25, 2014, 12:33:50 PM »
Sorry I don't remember the place you speak of. At the end of Densmore Street, which is the street I lived on, was a Love's Barbecue. I think we ate there at least once a week. Also on  that corner of Ventura was a chilidog stand. My daily snack getting off the bus from school was a chilidog and shoestring potatoes. It is amazing that I didn't get fat in those days.

Do you remember Du-Par's in North Hollywood? They had the best coleslaw. My dad and I used to eat at the Hotdog Show on the corner of Ventura and Coldwater.

I do remember the Hotdog Show. From 1971-1974 I went to Harvard Military School one block north from there on Coldwater Canyon. Vince Gironda opened his gym about a mile east from there on Ventura Blvd. I was a downtown L.A. kid (L.A. High after I escaped F'ing military school). The valley was a school bus ride and later an adventure in my '51 yellow Plymouth vert. I figure you are 2-3 years younger than I. I remember that Du Pars for the best lemon meringue pie. Place is still there today. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1177 on: July 25, 2014, 12:53:53 PM »
I do remember the Hotdog Show. From 1971-1974 I went to Harvard Military School one block north from there on Coldwater Canyon. Vince Gironda opened his gym about a mile east from there on Ventura Blvd. I was a downtown L.A. kid (L.A. High after I escaped F'ing military school). The valley was a school bus ride and later an adventure in my '51 yellow Plymouth vert. I figure you are 2-3 years younger than I. I remember that Du Pars for the best lemon meringue pie. Place is still there today. 

I have lots of fond memories of growing up in various parts of L.A. County. My parents had a sideline business flipping houses. We moved a lot. Between the ages of 8 and 18 we lived in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, Encino, Woodland Hills and Northridge. When I was 18 I moved to Santa Monica and eventually back to West Hollywood before my wife and I moved to Oregon to raise our family.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1178 on: July 26, 2014, 11:05:34 AM »
I never did understand this pic with shirts off....Bert Goodrich would have never allowed this during real time. Shirts did come off for magazine shots.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1179 on: July 26, 2014, 04:57:40 PM »
When Steve Reeves was off filming it was William Smith who was my trainer at Bert Goodrich Gym. I had the honor to nominate him for the Muscle Beach Hall of Fame. Bill was not only a versatile actor he was an American war hero/spy, spoke 5 languages, taught Russian, friend of Bruce Lee (see attached movie) holds world records in feats of strength incl. inverted dips done at Muscle Beach long ago, on cover of many musclemags,  "worlds greatest bull whip aficionado", and all around good guy. He and Steve were my teen muscleman heroes.

Bill is still with us at age 81. I have asked Ric Drasin to interview him...fingers crossed.

My fav fight scene,,,

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1180 on: July 27, 2014, 08:21:24 AM »
Drasin just informed me that Bill has a voice problem and no longer does interviews. I heard an unconfirmed report last year that he may have had a stroke. I trust not. My heroes are made of steel.

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1181 on: July 27, 2014, 09:25:36 AM »
Drasin just informed me that Bill has a voice problem and no longer does interviews. I heard an unconfirmed report last year that he may have had a stroke. I trust not. My heroes are made of steel.

A friend of mine goes to old movie festivals where a lot of old stars usually show up.  A few years back he went to one, and Smith was there.  My friend said Smith's mind wasn't very good. 

On a personal note, I would just about give my right arm to see the movie, C.C. and Company.  This movie seems to have disappeared.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1182 on: July 27, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
A friend of mine goes to old movie festivals where a lot of old stars usually show up.  A few years back he went to one, and Smith was there.  My friend said Smith's mind wasn't very good. 

On a personal note, I would just about give my right arm to see the movie, C.C. and Company.  This movie seems to have disappeared.
[/quote :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o]dude it cost 5 dollars and 84 cents on amazon.com. don't cut off your arm yet.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1183 on: July 27, 2014, 11:34:09 AM »
i.m not out in california but i do know that ric drasin wants to interview the guy who saved and set up vince's gym equipment. would really like to see this happen. do know david gironda sr.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1184 on: July 27, 2014, 11:34:44 AM »
 ;D
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1185 on: July 27, 2014, 04:56:57 PM »
DAMN!! If yu guys are gonna talk "old day, muscle stuff", I'll join in and do the same. But first I gotta take a break and find myb "old time, muscle stuff" baseball cap and dig out some old time "muscle stuff" memories.

Some of this stuff inside that hat I cannot tell ya, because some of those of time geezers whom have become public figures or just plain daddies or mommies (Bless 'em all!) have warned me that it could be certain death before the publicatin date if I wrote about some old time muscle stuff.

But that old time muscle stuff was not as career nor life threatening as some of the muscle "shit" that has been previously mentioned on this board.

So ....Stand by to stand by! (And when you read it, do you best not to fall alseep!"

It's the kind of shit your weight trained gran-daddy might have told you over the breakfast table while downing his first of many daily protein shakes.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1186 on: July 27, 2014, 04:59:28 PM »
William Smith

Mini Biography

Biker, bare-knuckle brawler, cowboy, Bee-Girl fighter, vampire hunter . . . William Smith has done it all. He was born on March 24, 1934, in Columbia, Missouri, on Rolling Acres, a Hereford cattle ranch. After losing everything to the dust bowl, the family moved to California. From 1942, when he was eight, through young adulthood, Bill appeared in many movies as an extra (uncredited). After high school, he joined the Air Force and served during the Korean War and flew secret ferret missions over Russia while in the NSA. He studied at the University of Munich, and Syracuse University. He graduated cum laude at UCLA. Bill would go on to become one of Hollywood's best-known character actors, with over 300 TV and movie credits. On TV he played in many westerns (did his own horseback riding), cop and sci-fi shows. He's best remembered for appearing in "Batman" (1966) as, appropriately, Adonis in the last episode. He was a series regular in "Hawaii Five-O" (1968), where he played Det. James "Kimo" Carew (the episode with Cathy Lee Crosby, "The Kahuna," drew particularly high ratings). On the big screen, Bill is legendary for biker flicks (he does his own motorcycle riding). His first biker flick, Run, Angel, Run! (1969), was shot in 13 days for under $100,000--and made $13 million! This was followed by Angels Die Hard (1970). These early, ground-breaking features defined the genre, and would be imitated endlessly (but never duplicated). In the early 1970s, Bill got into horror films--playing a vampire slayer in Grave of the Vampire (1974)--and science fiction, in the camp classic Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973), where he fought killer insect-women wearing sunglasses. Just about everybody's favorite William Smith movie, though, is Any Which Way You Can (1980), where as a bare-knuckle brawler he had a knock-down, drag-out fight with Clint Eastwood that wrecked about half the town. Tougher than Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bill played his dad in Conan the Barbarian (1982), and was one of the few actors in the wildly popular, but critically lambasted, youth-oriented Red Dawn (1984) to receive any recognition from critics. He was in what could be called a textbook example of low-budget, campy sci-fi, Hell Comes to Frogtown (1988). Just about everybody who has ever worked with Bill speaks highly of him. He's educated, intelligent and energetic. A true legend in the business, Bill's acting career is still going strong in 2006, well into the 64th year of his career.
William Smith is probably best known for his portrayal as "Falconetti" in "Rich Man, Poor Man" (1976). He first came to the screen as a child actor in films such as Going My Way (1944) and The Song of Bernadette (1943), before entering the service during the Korean War. There, his fluency in five languages landed him in the N.S.A. Security Squadron 6907. While working towards his doctorate, he landed a contract with MGM and never looked back. Over the next thirty years, Smith became one of the kings of B-movie villainy. With a prolific number of roles in westerns, biker, horror, sci-fi, and action pictures, his face-and muscular physique-are familiar to generations of movie fans.

Appeared in the final episode of "Batman" (1966).

Lifetime Achievement Award from Academy of Bodybuilding and Fitness

Record-holder for reverse-curling his own body weight.

2 Time Arm Wrestling World Champion-200lb class-Petaluma, CA

Served in the Airforce, National Security Agency, during the Korean War.

Graduated UCLA Cum Laude.

He was the Marlboro Man in the final televised Marlboro commercial.

Fluent in English, Russian, German, French, Serbo-Croatian.

Competed as a downhill skier in AAU events at Mammoth Mountain

Competed in motocross events with Steve McQueen and doubled as one of the track riders in C.C. and Company (1970).

Had a 31-1 record as an amateur boxer

Held the Air Force Light-Heavyweight Weightlifting Championship

Performed over 5,100 continuous sit-ups over a five hour period

Played semi-pro football for the Wiesbaden Flyers in Germany

Has a Masters Degree in Russian and taught Russian Language Studies at UCLA in the late 1950s.

Won a Muscle Beach contest by performing 35 inverted handstand dips.

Honorary member of the Stuntmen's Association of Motion Pictures.

Direct descendant of Western figures Kit Carson and Daniel Boone.

Bruce Lee personally offered Smith the co-lead in Enter the Dragon (1973), but another film went over schedule and John Saxon stepped into the role.

Filmed an eight-minute test pilot portraying Caine for the TV series "Kung Fu" (1972), wearing prosthetic eyepieces to make him appear chinese. The network wanted Smith for the role, but producer Jerry Thorpe ultimately deemed him too muscular and menacing.

Studied kung fu for eight years with Jimmy Woo and kenpo karate master Ed Parker.

Stunt doubled for former Tarzan Lex Barker while living in France.

Turned down the role of Tarzan at MGM.

Training partner of first Mr. Olympia, Larry Scott.

Fought California wildfires in the early 1950s

Worked as a lifeguard on the French Riviera

Worked as a trainer at Bert Goodrich's Hollywood Gym

Child actor in both "A" and "B" movies of the 1940s. He stated in a horror magazine that during breaks on the set of The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942), star Lon Chaney Jr., treated all of the children on the set to ice cream.

Threw the discus 151 feet at a time when the top AAU distance was 150.6 feet.

Won the Light-Heavyweight German-Austrian Boxing Championship while in the service.

Considered the worlds best bull whip handler.

In 1942's The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942), he plays the boy who throws the little girl's ball to the top of the roof. This role marks the first of his many appearances as a villain.

His favorite writer is Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Recipient of the 2008 Silver Spur Award.

Recipient of the 2005 Southern California Motion Picture Council Award.

Muscle Beach Hall of Fame Award.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1187 on: July 27, 2014, 05:19:40 PM »
WOW! I met Bill Smith once on one of the Universal sets a few years before he because famous in RICH MAN, POOR MAN ... if I am correctly remembering this old time 'stuff'.

Just before thqt TV program he had a major role in some movie tn which he played a real bad guy tring to do something bad to the real good guy on some delapidated  waterfront.

Again ... my memory is sliiping here  but within the last year or so I had some forgotten reason to make some phone calls to inquire about Bill's physical condition as I had heard that he was  then in a hopital somewhere within the Thousand Oaks area.

Word came back that he was indeed receiving medical treatment and that all seemed to be going well at that time.

I hope that he is doing well. I guess it's time for me to make another phone call  unless someone else can verify his physical condition.

Since we have gotten this far distant from Muscle Beach, I guess I can start telling stories about my days in Hollywood.

But "NO AUTOGRAPHS, please!"

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1188 on: July 27, 2014, 06:16:46 PM »
Bill was a regular at Muscle Beach when he did all those pics for muscle mags, ads for muscle mags and front covers. He did a record inverted parallel bar dip record set at Muscle Beach. I had dinner with Bill and Steve Reeves at Rand's Roundup in the mid 50s and we all met up at Muscle Beach the next day where both did some posing on the platform. When he was awarded the Muscle Beach Hall of Fame a few years ago there were other MB landmark connections I cant remember. He deserved the award that day.

When I think of Muscle Beach I think of Steve, Bill and then my days on the stage.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1189 on: July 27, 2014, 06:35:07 PM »
But first I gotta tell  you all this story before I forget. (It only happened at the USA yesterday so it's gonna be pretty damn accurate!).

Every once in a while I personally witness something happen within the bodybuilding world that makes me proud that I've played a very small part within it.

If I look back in time, this 'bodybuilding pride" initially started when I saw a contender win a trophy even though he was missing one leg from hip to toe.

It was the kind of 'proudness' that makes you cry a bit and do your best to hide from the others who are also trying to hide their semi-guarded  emotions.

And then it  was the day when a few of us volunteered to help some kids participate in the Special Olympics.

One physically hampered kid of 12 or there-abouts cried because he could not complete his 100 pound benchpress (maybe less).

So Keith (Only  Me)  got up (he was a judge) and sat beside this kid and started crying too and told the kid that he himself was crying because he was happy because he TRIED while many other never did.

That was a long remembered emotional moment among all who witnessed Keith's understanding and remedy that helped that kid overcome his humiliation.

And then it was the bald-headed girl who was a Cancer survivor who entered and did damn well in some NPC event many years ago.

Her contest photo was posted and some adverse remarks followed submitted by  some unknowing individuals.  (UNKNOWNING meaning that it was possible that THEY did not know or realize that this contestant had overcome a deadly illness and proved it could be done by being on that stage.) Another emotional episode within the world of competitive muscle.

And a picture is worth a thousand words (and in this case a hell of a lot more), so I'll just post this photo and leave those words up to you GetBiggers.

And before I forget …. I gotta remember to tell you all what made me feel pretty damn proud just yesterday

It happened at the USA.

(Coming up)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1190 on: July 27, 2014, 07:37:34 PM »
OPPPS! I think I jumped in before thanking you guys for your latest contributions .

Or maybe I just forgot!

luckyone

• Getbig II
  • 64 years young
Re: William Smith
« Reply #1191 on: July 27, 2014, 08:33:12 PM »
I first encountered Bill Smith on the popular western TV series LAREDO, playing the character Joe. One of my favorite shows as a kid and someone who definitely inspired me to start lifting. Was supposed to also be a really good person, and I heard thet he took care of his former Laredo costar Neville Brand, when the later was suffering alcohol  problems. Was always glad that he had continued success. A real stand up guy!

your brother in Christ,

Lucky

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1192 on: July 28, 2014, 09:39:09 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Bill was reading this or if someone was telling him about these great comments. Comments definitely well deserved.

I plan  ot make a call today in the hopes of getting an update.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1193 on: July 28, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »
I have to finish something I mentioned earlier regarding this past weekend's USA CHampionship activities.

The term 'PROUD" may not be an accurate description of this encounter but here's the best I can describe what I saw/experienced.

In the past I've always considered IFBB Pros to be older competitors who spend a good number of very difficult years doing whatever it takes to win that Pro Card ... most of whom I've either met or worked with within the past 60 years or so.

(YEA! .....  That's 60!!)

I've always had a lot of respect for endurance athletes ,,,, and 'strength' athletes came in a very close second.[

Chesty Pulller once told me, "You have to run five miles with a 80 pound pack on your back and once uyou arrive .... you have to kill the enermy".

Those wern't his exact words, but they are pretty damn close.

At that time those words were important to me and they stuck like glue over my lifetime.

Endurance came first. ANd strength was secondary. Eventually uhe killing part became unimportant .

And muscle was only important if it complimented  either of the above ,,, endurance and strength.

So with the above hopefully understood .....   Last Saturday morning just prior to the  USA prejudging, we were gathered together waiting to file into the auditorium when 4 young 'kids' came walking through who appeared to be great endurance athletes.

They walked through the crowd ... young, neat, polite, and confident  (and maybe a little bit cocky ... but rightfully so) ..... each wearing a tank top with some advertising on the front.

As they passed you could see the back of those tank tops which said in big, bold, letters ....IFBB PRO.

I guess you'd have to be my age to understand and appreciate the significance of what I was seeing ..... In my mind it was the  transition of  the "old IFBB' into the "new IFBB".

The start of the "NEW BREED"' of IFBB contenders who would more than likely be instrumental  in forming the future  growth of bodybuilding, physique and fitness competitions.

It's possible that I witnessed another historical moment within the NPC/IFBB while many others around me simply continued to talk about what they had for breakfast or who was favored to win this year's USA.

That 's when I stopped discussing blueberry pancakes and stopped these brand new IfBB Pros  and asked them to line up for   these photos. (Possibly a Joe Rosenthal mopment! Look hum uo).

CHANGE is inewvitable ... and here it comes ... like it or not!

No need to fight it. It just happens.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1194 on: July 28, 2014, 11:01:49 AM »
Miles away from Muscle Beach, but anyone recognize this shot?

Mentioned earlier, I think.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1195 on: July 28, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »
Another interesting USA shot. Anyone know how they placed?

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1196 on: July 28, 2014, 12:12:42 PM »
I had a Curries on my walk home from grammar school. Aaaah Pistachio. Six years later I had a jones for a Curries waitress at their Encino, Ca. shop. 10cents for a single scoop. Went to a quarter by 1957.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1197 on: July 28, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »
YEA, MB! You mentioned that earlier, That's why I posted that photo.

10 cents!!!???

You got robbed! I only paid a nickel.

But my choices were limited ... Chocolate, strawberry, or vanilla.

And when coffee went from a nickel to a dime, I raised hell and gave up drinking but eventually I ended up in Starbucks.

They hate me there when I ask for the ten cent kind.

Do you recall gas at 18 cents a gallon?

Everything was so damn cheap ... you couldn't afford to be a bum.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1198 on: July 28, 2014, 03:49:08 PM »
YEA, MB! You mentioned that earlier, That's why I posted that photo.

10 cents!!!???

You got robbed! I only paid a nickel.

But my choices were limited ... Chocolate, strawberry, or vanilla.

And when coffee went from a nickel to a dime, I raised hell and gave up drinking but eventually I ended up in Starbucks.

They hate me there when I ask for the ten cent kind.

Do you recall gas at 18 cents a gallon?

Everything was so damn cheap ... you couldn't afford to be a bum.

I remember gas being .25 a gallon and I remember minimum wage being $1.00 an hour in 1959-1960. Gas today is $3.89 a gallon in Portland, OR and minimum wage here is $9.10 an hour. Looks like gas prices have outpaced wages. A 12 oz. cup of coffee at Starbucks is $1.85 to $1.95 depending on where you are.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1199 on: July 28, 2014, 06:24:58 PM »
Yea, Prime! And the price of a movie ticket was a quarter.

And that included three different serials with nerve wracking endings, 12 cartoons, a couple of Our Gang shorts, and  if we were lucky ... one or two Three Stooges episodes.

Popcorn was a nickel a bag and was dispensed from a glass enclosed storage area where the popcorn was kept warm by a 50 watt light bulb.

The bags were small, but so were we .... so there were nio complaints.

Those old time theaters had a ticket seller in glassed in gage out front, a ticket taker in his ticket taker uniform, 2 or 5 kids behind the concession booth dispensing five cent Coca-Colas, and depending on the numb er of aisles inside ...... one or two Aisle Attendents dressed like those Herdy Gerdy monkeys you might have seen sometime during your lifetime.

And we'd scream and shout at the action on the screen and boo when the hero kissed the heroine, and throw popcorn three rows back and three rows forward just because no one gave a damn and no one in that dark auditorium where the 'flicker' flicked was over the age of 9 or 10.

And all this ... for only 25 cents!

Plus another 15 for the popcorn and the soda..

And before I forget to mention this  ..... If the film caught on fire or if the screen went dark for an unknown reason .... an usher would got on stage and keep us busy in our. attempt to catch the tossed  10 cent toys  that became available for such occasions.

ANd meanwhile ... there was a big war going on someplace far away so we had to keep the house lights dim once the sun went down.  I figured that some of the bad guys had landed on the beach a couple of blocks away and we didn't want them to know where we lived  .... so we turned off all the lights to make them think that no one was home.

And while Joe Demaggio played ball with his brothers at the park next door to the highly restricted military campground , we would dig holes under the fence just to prove that we could sneak inside no matter how many guards tried to stop us.

Even in war-time, kids can find ways to have fun.