Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 726425 times)

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #1200 on: July 28, 2014, 06:50:42 PM »
5 cents a scoop? Jeeez Stunt you ARE old.

We would lean our bikes up against the theater (no locks) and also paid 25 cents for a Saturday matinee kids fest. When we came out our bikes were always untouched. Times were sweet in the late 40s early 50s. Moms did not worry when their 10 year olds were gone all day.

I could buy 5 gallons of gas, a 5 pack of Hava Tampa cigars and a quart of Olympia beer from an old Chinese couple for one dollar and 25 cents (a pre KMART store) at age 17 on the way to the beach.

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1201 on: July 28, 2014, 09:00:17 PM »

[/quote :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o]dude it cost 5 dollars and 84 cents on amazon.com. don't cut off your arm yet.
[/quote]

But they only have 1 left in stock!   What if somebody buys it??   What will I do then???

Lol, thanks Funk.   But seriously, this movie is never on TV or at any revival theatre or film society.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1202 on: August 03, 2014, 07:16:02 PM »
REPS, I went looking for that movie and happened to find one that I was looking for this past year which I really enjopyed the first time I saw it.

A Bollywood film (first one I've ever seen) called DHOOM 3. I recommend it to all GetBiggers.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1203 on: August 03, 2014, 07:21:42 PM »
Since we seem to have a Muscle Beach - old  geezer SO Cal memory lull, I decided to run a commercial.

A commercial of unknown photographers who just so happened to be in the right place at the right time with a photographic instrument. And some who just showed up at any time at all.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1204 on: August 03, 2014, 07:24:04 PM »
I've seen a couple of water spouts but I never had a camera handy.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1205 on: August 03, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »
Had a chance top buy one of these once upon a time.  Somewhat larger and included an outrigger and running water with a 5X5 glass floor and a chute to feed the tropical fish.

Price was approximately $34,000 if I remember correctly.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1206 on: August 03, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »
I hate it when this happens! Step out for a smoke and get drentch.

In this second shot .... Isn't water made to seek its own level. Marty Champion ... Clue us in on this here shot.

How can one 'river' be higher than another?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1207 on: August 03, 2014, 07:53:49 PM »
One of my full blooded Indian friends was planning to get out of the Corps and build an underwater hotel in Florida.

Not sure if this is it though.

Anyone lose a boat?

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #1208 on: August 15, 2014, 02:48:54 PM »
I hate it when this happens! Step out for a smoke and get drentch.

In this second shot .... Isn't water made to seek its own level. Marty Champion ... Clue us in on this here shot.

How can one 'river' be higher than another?

Amazing white man technological achievements,  ;D.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1209 on: August 16, 2014, 01:51:35 PM »
Had a chance top buy one of these once upon a time.  Somewhat larger and included an outrigger and running water with a 5X5 glass floor and a chute to feed the tropical fish.

The land, too, or just the dwelling?

stuntmovie1

• Getbig II
« Reply #1210 on: August 16, 2014, 06:14:09 PM »
UGLY, Actually that's one hell of a good question!

I'm sure it was addressed in the documentation which I can't  recall due to the fact that it was so many years ago.

I gotta do some research on how the ownership of the 'space' in which such a residence resides is determined.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #1211 on: August 27, 2014, 03:53:22 AM »

It looks great at first sight, but I would feel locked after a few hours.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #1212 on: August 31, 2014, 02:10:01 AM »

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1213 on: September 24, 2014, 01:36:53 PM »
 ??? ??? ??? did your pathes  cross with this hombre??????
F

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #1214 on: September 27, 2014, 10:58:48 AM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1215 on: September 27, 2014, 11:19:04 AM »

Oh my God in Heaven...How I will never forget this.  I didn't get there until '75 but like Ric I remember it as if it were yesterday.

And wish it still was.  :'(

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1216 on: September 27, 2014, 01:00:08 PM »
Oh my. Where has the time gone? Thanks Ric. I loved that pic with Bill Howard, RIP. I will always remember the day Ric and I spent with Bill at a Mr. Muscle Beach show about 4 years ago.

I have nominated Ric several times for the MB Walk of Fame. Can someone else put up his name on the MB web site? Let's get it done. Bill passed away before he was called up. Bill kept that show alive in the dark days when he would go into the audience and pull men onto the stage.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1217 on: October 01, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »
 ;D
F

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1218 on: October 01, 2014, 01:20:18 PM »
Ric and Arnie in early 70's...

chimera

• Getbig II
« Reply #1219 on: October 02, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »
September 1, 2014

Me with Samir

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1220 on: October 11, 2014, 03:09:46 PM »
William Smith, bodybuilder,actor, war hero, and Mr. Muscle Beach Walk of Fame.

My fellow old timers who loved Bill's movies with Clint Eastwood (and lots more), Conan, the biker flicks and Faconetti on Rich Man Poor Man, and respect his making bodybuilding a respectable enterprise....please see attached. And vote!!

https://www.facebook.com/joanne.cervellismith?fref=pb&hc_location=friends_tab

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1221 on: October 30, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
 ;D great character actor
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1222 on: November 04, 2014, 04:34:24 AM »
I saw that video of Chris Dickerson a few pages back. It was sad to see how disabled he is. I heard he had knee, hip and shoulder replacement. Also has back problems. I know he is old but he seems a mess. Ric Drasin also has horrible joint problems it seems by the way he walks. Sometimes I speculate that it's the drugs contributing. Taking a  6 to 8 week cycle increases strength at such a quick pace and the bones/tendons and ligaments don't increase at the same pace to keep up.

Judging by the incredible amount of just shoulder problems I wonder if lifting weights for decades is healthy? I know I will be slammed on a bodybuilding board but wouldn't body weight exercises be better than having ruined joints in your 50's?
I'm off to train chest and arms. Personally I wish I never heard of the bench press. I would have had a fine chest with just push ups. 

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1223 on: November 04, 2014, 07:12:01 AM »
Did not know there was a shoulder joint you can replace? I agree on the bench press...I tore my pec right off the humorous bone doing incline bench. Should have stuck to flys, pec deck and dips. I know many people who have had joint replacements who never lifted. I see no connection. Maybe Ronnie Coleman's hips due to 800# squats. Ric Drasin F'ed up his knees from pro wrestling...back flips off the ropes at 250 pounds body weight. My shoulders click/pop and get real sore just like my Dad. I lifted since I was 11...he was a golfer. I used AAS for a period....he used vodka.

Drasin has advocated HRT in the past. I agree. He continues to weight train. I have spent the day with him at the Mecca. I just had a physical with a new doc since I moved some 200 miles away from the old one. He looked at my blood test and upped my HRT. He is the 3rd Internist to do that since I was 50 (23 years ago.) He said I look amazing for a man my age. I have not touched a weight in 2 years only doing 25 strict push ups every morning and hiking in the forest 4-6 miles a day at 7,000' elevation.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1224 on: November 04, 2014, 07:09:02 PM »
Did not know there was a shoulder joint you can replace? I agree on the bench press...I tore my pec right off the humorous bone doing incline bench. Should have stuck to flys, pec deck and dips. I know many people who have had joint replacements who never lifted. I see no connection. Maybe Ronnie Coleman's hips due to 800# squats. Ric Drasin F'ed up his knees from pro wrestling...back flips off the ropes at 250 pounds body weight. My shoulders click/pop and get real sore just like my Dad. I lifted since I was 11...he was a golfer. I used AAS for a period....he used vodka.

Drasin has advocated HRT in the past. I agree. He continues to weight train. I have spent the day with him at the Mecca. I just had a physical with a new doc since I moved some 200 miles away from the old one. He looked at my blood test and upped my HRT. He is the 3rd Internist to do that since I was 50 (23 years ago.) He said I look amazing for a man my age. I have not touched a weight in 2 years only doing 25 strict push ups every morning and hiking in the forest 4-6 miles a day at 7,000' elevation.

Yes there is shoulder replacement. It's mainly a cap on the humerus.  Are you concerned with all the law suits flying about HRT? They say it increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes statistically.  I heard a doctor speculate that it increases the thickness or viscosity of blood. Here's a link for shoulder replacement. Hiking 6 miles a day will keep anyone in shape. http://www.webmd.com/arthritis/shoulder-replacement-surgery