Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 727284 times)

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #1225 on: November 10, 2014, 12:49:29 AM »
I saw that video of Chris Dickerson a few pages back. It was sad to see how disabled he is. I heard he had knee, hip and shoulder replacement. Also has back problems. I know he is old but he seems a mess. Ric Drasin also has horrible joint problems it seems by the way he walks. Sometimes I speculate that it's the drugs contributing. Taking a  6 to 8 week cycle increases strength at such a quick pace and the bones/tendons and ligaments don't increase at the same pace to keep up.

Judging by the incredible amount of just shoulder problems I wonder if lifting weights for decades is healthy? I know I will be slammed on a bodybuilding board but wouldn't body weight exercises be better than having ruined joints in your 50's?
I'm off to train chest and arms. Personally I wish I never heard of the bench press. I would have had a fine chest with just push ups. 
^^
I think the KEY to keeping the shoulders "young" is NOT GOING HEAVY (TOO heavy).
LOTS of sets, reps, but not crazy weights.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1226 on: November 10, 2014, 07:08:00 AM »
Yes there is shoulder replacement. It's mainly a cap on the humerus.  Are you concerned with all the law suits flying about HRT? They say it increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes statistically.  I heard a doctor speculate that it increases the thickness or viscosity of blood. Here's a link for shoulder replacement. Hiking 6 miles a day will keep anyone in shape. http://www.webmd.com/arthritis/shoulder-replacement-surgery

Thicker blood is a side effect for some....me. Take a daily baby aspirin and donate blood.  My Doc says those law suits are for the most part BS. 5.3 million American men take HRT. Heart attacks and strokes are down. Take HRT? Just be smart. I can judge my T level by my morning erections. 14 year old steel...i'm fine. I start to get a red flush(too high RBC) donate blood.

Thanks for the shoulder info.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1227 on: December 28, 2014, 03:11:26 PM »
 ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1228 on: December 30, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »
this book covers a lot about the ifbb and aau battles, ken spraque, bob hoffman, weiders, dan lurie, oscar state, oscar heidestein, bob christ, et al
F

stuntmovie1

• Getbig II
« Reply #1229 on: December 30, 2014, 04:52:17 PM »
FUNK, I waS a minor part (some say "a major part") within that AAU/IFBB battle  that you just mentioned but to be more precise ... it was initially more of an AAU/NPC battle with no initial IFBB involvement..

I'll post those details as I recall them if there is any interest on this Board.

If I do post the 'facts' as I personally witnessed those facts ....  I have no doubt that there will be arguments from many of those individuals who were nowhere near those 'facts' as they occurred ... in fact!

90% of those involved have passed on to greener pastorates so it's remotely possible that I could be the Lone Survivor.

(Calling the 101st for a repeat prerfommance.)

Any Airborne from the 101 in this group?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1230 on: December 30, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »
FUNK, I waS a minor part (some say "a major part") within that AAU/IFBB battle  that you just mentioned but to be more precise ... it was initially more of an AAU/NPC battle with no initial IFBB involvement..

I'll post those details as I recall them if there is any interest on this Board.

If I do post the 'facts' as I personally witnessed those facts ....  I have no doubt that there will be arguments from many of those individuals who were nowhere near those 'facts' as they occurred ... in fact!

90% of those involved have passed on to greener pastorates so it's remotely possible that I could be the Lone Survivor.

Happy New Year, stunt. You're a legend here, whether you know it or not. Nothing but respect, sir.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1231 on: January 04, 2015, 05:42:30 PM »

^^
I'm Airborne from Canadian Army I fought in Croatia and Bosnia...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1232 on: January 05, 2015, 03:44:40 PM »
 ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1233 on: January 05, 2015, 03:46:45 PM »
 :o
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1234 on: January 05, 2015, 03:48:56 PM »
 8)
F

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1235 on: January 05, 2015, 04:33:23 PM »
;D

Trained here many, many years ago.   Leo was great!  The place is still there but I have not been there in a very long time.  They had the coolest pictures of the greats of the game on the walls and there  were also caricatures of gym members (I can't recall the  name of the guy that drew them) on the wall too.  My cousin was one of them. 

I recently spoke with a friend from back then and Ty Youngs name came up.  Per  my friend, his younger brother Michael is doing well but Ty?  Not so much.  He said Ty is quite frail now.  I left it at that and put Ty in my prayers.

That photo of Reeves outside Yarick's is superb!  Physical Culture is the way to go!

Thanks!

stuntmovie1

• Getbig II
« Reply #1236 on: January 06, 2015, 12:34:46 PM »
SPRITZ, Thanks.... Airborne ... Regardless of who,l I owe all you guys much respect, bout I gotta 'fess up' and let you know that we USMC grunts used to sneak on the Army base and steal as many cases of beer that  we could get away with. ... or possibly "were allowed"  might be a more accurate term.

I think the 101st knew all about our thievery because the guards on the gates use to laugh as we passed through yelling. "Enjoy our beer, Jar-heads!".

We got so confident of  our ability to 'steal' from the Army that we somehow managed to steal a small but pretty complete weight lifting gym (the pit), which was actually a pit built with the help of incoming rounds from a previous battle years before we arrived.

Crazy days full of good memories.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1237 on: January 07, 2015, 03:49:51 PM »
SPRITZ, Thanks.... Airborne ... Regardless of who,l I owe all you guys much respect, bout I gotta 'fess up' and let you know that we USMC grunts used to sneak on the Army base and steal as many cases of beer that  we could get away with. ... or possibly "were allowed"  might be a more accurate term.

I think the 101st knew all about our thievery because the guards on the gates use to laugh as we passed through yelling. "Enjoy our beer, Jar-heads!".

We got so confident of  our ability to 'steal' from the Army that we somehow managed to steal a small but pretty complete weight lifting gym (the pit), which was actually a pit built with the help of incoming rounds from a previous battle years before we arrived.

Crazy days full of good memories.
^^
I forget what brand we had as the beer on-base but it was pretty good (this was in Ottawa, Canada), in Europe the supplier changed it was German I believe- still good!!
I have not drank in over 17 years now, I'm saving it for when I reach 75!! :D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1238 on: February 04, 2015, 06:09:43 AM »
another mb pic.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1239 on: February 04, 2015, 06:11:30 AM »
 :o :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::) :P :P :P :P :'( :'( :'( :'( :-* :-* :-* :-*
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1240 on: February 04, 2015, 10:34:47 AM »

stuntmovie1

• Getbig II
« Reply #1241 on: February 04, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »
Thanks, FUNK! Interesting shots!

Here's a TEST for some of you younger weight related fans of yore!

Give the full name of the heavywt guy on the right of Funk's second photo submission. And the following if at all possible ......

What he was best known for?
His training partner?
Did he ever enter a BB contest?
The year he passed away.?

This gentleman was interesting enough to encourage some author to write a book about him and his lifestyle and it is remotely possible that someone has done so already.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1242 on: February 04, 2015, 01:39:41 PM »
Irvin "Zabo" Koszewski and his impressive set of abs.

Zabo died last year. He was 84 years old.

What an impressive physique he had!

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1243 on: February 04, 2015, 06:51:58 PM »
Thanks, FUNK! Interesting shots!

Here's a TEST for some of you younger weight related fans of yore!

Give the full name of the heavywt guy on the right of Funk's second photo submission. And the following if at all possible ......

What he was best known for?
His training partner?
Did he ever enter a BB contest?
The year he passed away.?

This gentleman was interesting enough to encourage some author to write a book about him and his lifestyle and it is remotely possible that someone has done so already.

Izzat Bill "Peanuts" West? If so, I believe he competed at one time or another in bodybuilding. His training partner was (I think) Steve Merjanian.   

stuntmovie1

• Getbig II
« Reply #1244 on: February 05, 2015, 10:07:05 AM »
SCOTT, YEP, that is Bill "Peanuts" West. An outstanding character back in the day.

Enough of a character within the world of weights that I'm surprised that no one has ever written a book about him. I'd do it but I never knew him that well.

And if I recall correctly, his training partner was George Frenn.

Too darn busy today to GOOGLE both of them but I plan to do so this evening when this day calms down a bitr.

stuntmovie1

• Getbig II
« Reply #1245 on: February 05, 2015, 10:21:29 AM »
In the meantime, here's some info regarding Bill which may be of interest to you GetBig weight world historians.

http://thegaragegorilla.blogspot.com/20

But I have yet to have a chance to read it thoroughly yet. (Too many "YETS"?)

TEST ... Name each person in this photo.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1246 on: February 05, 2015, 07:30:19 PM »
In the meantime, here's some info regarding Bill which may be of interest to you GetBig weight world historians.

http://thegaragegorilla.blogspot.com/20

But I have yet to have a chance to read it thoroughly yet. (Too many "YETS"?)

TEST ... Name each person in this photo.

Peanuts, Weider, McArdle, Scott.

I think... ;D

stuntmovie1

• Getbig II
« Reply #1247 on: February 06, 2015, 10:35:36 AM »
SCOTT, You are absolutely correct. I didn't think anyone on this board would ID Bill McArdle correctly.

And good call on Weider who was way too young for most GetBiggers to ID correctly.

They are each deceased now but each played a big part within the world of bodybuilding, especially within the So Cal area.

McArdle was first and passed away way too early.Then Peanuts followed by Scott and then Weider, but Scott and Weider's deaths may be out of order.

The following is 'stuff' that happened many miles from Muscle Beach so it has nothing to do with Muscle Beach, so I'll post this and more that will eventually follow as "Story-Time".

With the proper amount of respect, I'll do my best to mention each of the above individuals.

And I'll start off with McArdle whom I did not really know too well.

Bill was  protege of Larry Scott's and Larry was training Bill for one the mid-960's Mr. California Contest. (One of you will recall the year!)

You experts will recognize that this was an AAU sanction event deus to the fact that the used the term "Mr." for its major contests. (A way too long story there!).

So Larry was training Bill for this major California bodybuilding title and Bill was favored and expected to win among the relatively few who knew that such an event even existed back then.

But a few hundred miles north of Los Anglees there was a small gym that event by the name of Moonlight Health Club (or something like that) and one of its members was an unknown bodybuilder by the name of John Corvello.

So John shows up one sunny and smoggy weekend in the Los Angeles downtown area's Embassy Auditorium (a part of the Embassy Hotel which is most likely now demolished)  ready, willing, and able to compete in this mid 1960's AAU Bodybuilding Contest with a strong desire to take that AAU Mr California title back home up north a few miles south of the city of San Francisco.

These were the days when bodybuilding contests and bodybuilders and bodybuilding itself were relatively unknown to the vast majority of everyone on this planet  .... so this event was only of interest to gym members from Gold's, Pearls, and only a few from Vince's. plus a handful of others from other lesser known joints of sweat and iron in the So Cal area.

And maybe even a couple of guys from Stern's in San Diego.

So most of these muscleheadz knew that Bill was gonna win it but these musleheadz would prove themselves to be mistaken that day because this kid from up north hit that stage and muscleheadz forsaw a battle in the making.

A battle between Bill and John while the other combatants remained silently in the background.

It took a while but the judges finally stood and the whole audience did the same arguing about the final outcome while heading out into the smoggy sunshine which is so popular in the downtown LA area.

And to cut to the chase .... that night John Corvello won the right to take that title back to Northern California a few miles south of Dan Francisco.

And Bill?

Bill appeared to be a gentleman and accepted that second place award.

And Larry shook the hands of both ....

And  bodybuulding history continued to grow beyond anyone's expectations.

But Bill never had the opportunity to see how popular it became ....

He passed away shortly after.

Way too young to pass away.

(One down ... three to go.)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1248 on: February 10, 2015, 09:58:39 AM »
there are some  stories about bill mcardle on kellie everts website where she claimed bill raped her at a photo shoot... who knows????
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1249 on: February 10, 2015, 10:00:36 AM »
 ;D
F