Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 725494 times)

stuntmovie1

• Getbig II
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #1350 on: June 18, 2015, 08:00:09 AM »
As far as men's swimwear went ... board shorts were popular and anything similar to a Speedo was considered somewhat 'risqué', but eventually grew in popularity within the US Southern California beach areas.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #1351 on: June 18, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »
It's not just the use of PEDs, but also the modern day posing trunks that makes bodybuilding a controversial sport (yes, I call it a 'sport'!).
Some good LOLs today on my work when they asked questions about the clothing on stage. As always, people assume we're just wearing Speedos or even tangas on stage ;D

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1352 on: June 18, 2015, 09:49:58 PM »
If you have been looking at these olden day beach photos, you might have noticed that the bikini bathing suit was non existant.

The first two piece bathing suit was 'developed' by a fashion designer in Paris in July 1946 and was dubbed the "Bikini" simply due to the fact that the US was testing A-bombs at the Bikini atoll a week earlier.

During WWII many of the world's beach coastlines were 'closed' in an effort to protect against foreign invasion.

SO once the war wads over, civilians began to attack the beaches in large numbers the bikini grew in popularity.

At first in a modest and then into an "almost nothing at all" format.

I thought the movie star/swimmer Esther Williams had something to do with the creation of the bikini.

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1353 on: June 18, 2015, 09:53:59 PM »
Anyone ever see the documentary Muscle Beach Then and Now?  It doesn't look like it ever made it to DVD.  If you know if it being on DVD, please let me know.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1189899/?ref_=tt_rec_tt                                                                 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1354 on: June 19, 2015, 03:26:49 PM »
 ;D millard williamson mr shoulders and mr muscle beach 1950...also a volleyball player.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1355 on: July 07, 2015, 01:46:50 PM »
 ;D
F

stuntmovie1

• Getbig II
« Reply #1356 on: July 12, 2015, 06:01:11 PM »
Hey, FUNK!

I'm 90% sure that that beach house behind Steve's left shoulder was the home we were thinking of buying back into he early 60's.

If I recall right, the asking price was $34,000.

Mr. MB might be able to shed more accurate light on the prices of those beach front places back in them good old days.

But I can remember that there were no beach front homes built along the oceanfront all the way from the northern edge of Santa Monica  (Pat's?) clear on up to Malibu, but some of there ocean view homes built high above the 101 were gradually sliding down he hill,

If that's hard to believe, see DON"T MAKE WAVes ... Draper's first movie.

Now it's almost impossible to see the ocean while driving along the ocean front all the way up to Pepperdine.

Times sure do change.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1357 on: July 13, 2015, 06:04:56 AM »
Hey, FUNK!

I'm 90% sure that that beach house behind Steve's left shoulder was the home we were thinking of buying back into he early 60's.

If I recall right, the asking price was $34,000.

Mr. MB might be able to shed more accurate light on the prices of those beach front places back in them good old days.

But I can remember that there were no beach front homes built along the oceanfront all the way from the northern edge of Santa Monica  (Pat's?) clear on up to Malibu, but some of there ocean view homes built high above the 101 were gradually sliding down he hill,

If that's hard to believe, see DON"T MAKE WAVes ... Draper's first movie.

Now it's almost impossible to see the ocean while driving along the ocean front all the way up to Pepperdine.

Times sure do change.
that was a good movie i have the dvd of it...
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1358 on: July 13, 2015, 06:05:45 AM »
 ;D
F

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1359 on: July 18, 2015, 09:44:43 AM »
;D millard williamson mr shoulders and mr muscle beach 1950...also a volleyball player.

Pepper Gomez won Mr. Muscle Beach 1950; Millard won in 1956.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1360 on: August 02, 2015, 11:44:50 AM »
Gold's Gym turns 50

http://www.flexonline.com/general-news/golds-gym-turns-50?fb

IN 1965, GOLD’S GYM OPENED ITS DOORS AND LAUNCHED THE MODERN FITNESS MOVEMENT THAT BROUGHT EXERCISE AND HEALTHY LIVING INTO THE GLOBAL CONSCIENCE

Fifty years ago, in a single concrete room, 30 feet by 100 feet just of the Venice Beach shoreline, modern fitness was born. It was an unassuming spot, but packed inside were massive men pumping iron and curling, benching, and deadlifting thousands of pounds. This was the frst Gold’s Gym, and it would create a revolution that continues today.

THE DARK AGES

Prior to 1965, American health was in decline. Less than a decade prior, President John F. Kennedy published an article titled “The Soft American” in Sports Illustrated, in which he argued that “such softness on the part of individual citizens can help to strip and destroy the vitality of a nation...the stamina and strength which the defense of liberty requires are not the product of a few weeks’ basic training or a month’s conditioning.” More than one-third of children in the U.S. had failed one of five strength tests administered in school, compared with a 1% failure rate for European students. The government was so concerned that it encouraged comic strips to address fitness. Peanuts creator Charles Schulz produced Snoopy’s Daily Dozen, a booklet featuring Snoopy, Charlie, Linus, and the gang going through a series of exercises. The small percentage of American adults who did exercise favored quick and easy workouts like 5BX, which stood for Five Basic Exercises and didn’t require additional equipment or do much to build strength. Real strength training was all but unknown.

A GYM IS BORN

Enter Joe Gold. The merchant marine with an impressive physique who scored roles as an extra in films including The Ten Commandments and Around the World in 80 Days had an idea. He worked out at Muscle Beach just south of the Santa Monica Pier—where young men like the original “fitness superhero” Jack LaLanne and Steve Reeves, who played Hercules, lifted crude weights, performed feats of strength like handstands and other gymnastic moves, and showed off their hulking physiques to tourists moseying down the boardwalk. But Gold knew they needed an indoor spot so they could work out at all hours and train with better equipment. He purchased an abandoned lot on Pacific Avenue and erected a simple building out of cinder blocks, and thus Gold’s Gym was born.

“Joe was a hardcore trainer, a competitive bodybuilder back in the day,” FLEX Chief Content Director Shawn Perine says. “He was about building hardcore muscle, about giving guys the chance to create the ultimate physique.”

Gold saw an opportunity—at the time there were just three gyms for the 7 million people in the Los Angeles area—but he also understood how much he could improve the bodybuilding community. The weights and benches of the day were poorly made, uneven with faulty cables and uncomfortable grips. Gold knew what the lifters liked because, after all, he was one of them, and so he set about creating equipment to suit their needs. He turned his two-car garage into a machine shop of sorts, developing benches, pulley systems, unique handles, and other homemade

devices that were superior to anything on the market. “When you felt his dumbbells, there was a magic there,” remembers Eddie Giuliani, a bodybuilder from New York who moved to California to train at Gold’s Gym and would win his height class in Mr. America and Mr. World.

Bodybuilders flocked to Gold’s Gym. While other gyms tried to mimic the cutting-edge technology, none had the brilliance of Joe Gold. Dave Draper, who was known as the Blond Bomber, and who was literally and figuratively the biggest muscle star of the early 1960s, joined Gold’s along with the other top stars of the day. Tourists stood outside the gym, peering in with hopes of catching a glimpse of the men inside. People who couldn’t get to the beachside spot could still see Draper and others on the cover of bodybuilding magazines that were slowly taking off. “That was the ‘me’ generation, and all of a sudden people were discovering themselves, and what better way to discover yourself than to see how ripped you can make your muscles?” Perine says. Magazines like Muscle Builder featured interviews and tips from the big names at Gold’s, turning them into household names.

The rapid explosion of fitness and bodybuilding spurred the growth of scientific breakthroughs and interest from the medical field. The fledgling International Society of Sport Psychology held its first World Congress in 1965, and the North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity came into being in 1967. In 1971, State University of New York at Stony Brook chemistry professor Paul C. Lauterbur developed the concept that he would use to create the first magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine and the first issue of the Journal of Sports Medicine came off the presses a year later.

Then, of course, came Arnold. Joe Weider, creator of the Mr. Olympia competition and publisher of magazines like Muscle & Fitness and FLEX, brought Arnold Schwarzenegger to train at Gold’s Gym in 1968, and the Austrian almost immediately became an icon. He would work out with Draper, Giuliani, and his good friend and roommate, Franco Columbu, harder, faster, and longer than anyone else, smiling throughout the effort, impressing the young men who wanted to be him. “Arnold was everywhere,” his frequent training partner Ric Drasin says. “He made it the Mecca.”

Throughout the 1970s, the bodybuilding movement continued to gain traction, and Arnold’s gang led the way. Yellow Gold’s Gym T-shirts featuring the ubiquitous Gold’s Gym logo—designed by Drasin spontaneously on a cocktail napkin—were everywhere on the boardwalk, the beach, the bars around town, and beyond. To wear one was to signal that you were a part of something larger. Gold’s Gym hosted the 1977 Mr. America contest. That same year the movie Pumping Iron, featuring Schwarzenegger competing in the 1975 Mr. Universe and Mr. Olympia competitions, vaulted the bodybuilders to another level of celebrity. Soon Hollywood stars like Clint Eastwood were dropping in for sessions as well as sports stars like Muhammad Ali. Bodybuilding had solidified itself in mainstream culture. “I remember watching TV in the ’80s, and every other commercial had a bodybuilder,” Perine says. “More likely than not, that bodybuilder was recruited by somebody calling the front desk of Gold’s Gym Venice.”

By 1980, Gold’s Gym had been sold off by Gold and passed through a few owners, landing in the hands of Pete Grymkowski, Tim Kimber, and Ed Connors. The trio, nicknamed the Three Horseman, set about spreading the core message of the brand to the nation. They saw that bodybuilding and physical fitness had staying power, less of a trend and more of a basic fact of the aging baby boomer lifestyle. Consider that in 1982 movie star Jane Fonda would take a break from her busy schedule to shoot Jane Fonda’s Workout, launching her successful second career. Soon after in 1985 the American Council on Exercise was formed to create a standard national certification process for aerobic instructors. Fitness was no longer a tourist attraction on Venice Beach, it was a part of everyday American life. And Gold’s Gym became a cornerstone of pop culture. Carl Weathers, who played Apollo Creed in Rocky, wore a Gold’s Gym T-shirt on a Saturday Night Live promo spot; Wesley Snipes donned a Gold’s Gym tank top in White Men Can’t Jump; and Will Smith flashed a Gold’s Gym VIP pass in Men in Black. All types of celebrities from rock stars like Janet Jackson to Olympic gold medalists like Greg Louganis and—the most famous of all— basketball legend Michael Jordan were showing up at Gold’s Gym.

Connors opened the first licensed Gold’s Gym in San Francisco in 1980 and dedicated himself to launching new outposts. Jerry McCall, a nationally competitive bodybuilder who bought into the San Jose franchise in 1982, remembers the old days. “Ed really spawned the licensing program,” the former president of the Gold’s Gym Franchisee Association says. “He had a knack for meeting people, like somebody in Rochester or Madison, a hardcore kind of guy who had a small club and wanted to expand.” By 1981, there were 5,000 singular health clubs nationwide, and many entrepreneurs saw the great value in aligning their little gyms with Gold’s Gym, which was rapidly becoming the dominant force in American fitness.

The number of Gold’s Gyms across the country skyrocketed. The group took the brand international in 1985 when a branch opened in Canada. The iconic T-shirts started selling in retail outlets worldwide in 1987, the perfect complement to an increasing global focus on fitness, born at that unassuming gym in Venice. By 1993, Gold’s Gym had 1 million members, and that’s when it became clear that it wasn’t just bringing a fitness revolution, it was creating a legacy by helping hundreds of thousands of people realize their potential through fitness. In 1996 it expanded to Europe and Asia, changing perceptions across the globe. “When we first opened, the word fitness didn’t exist in the Russian language,” says Paul J. Kuebler, one of the three principal people to open the first Gold’s Gym in Moscow’s Leningrad Prospekt in 1996. “We had to explain to Russians what fitness was for. In the past, they only worked out to improve at the sports they played.”

While Gold’s Gym became known as the Mecca of Bodybuilding, the brand also pioneered the latest fitness innovations, making sure their members, who came first just as they had when Joe Gold set about creating a gym for his peers, stayed at the forefront. Connors built a group exercise room in the San Jose gym in 1981, well before the trend took off nationally. The Gold’s Gym trainers got ideas from everywhere, increasing the use of kettlebells and periodization after seeing the success these exercises and philosophies had in Russia. The cardio age came into being in 1984 with the StairMaster StepMill, and Gold’s Gym locations nationwide featured the machines. Lori Lowell, the national group fitness director for Gold’s Gym International between 1999 and 2009, talked about how classes created the right atmosphere. “There’s a power in group fitness,” she says. “It wasn’t just about coming in and lifting weights. We were delivering a great social environment as well as a great workout.” The success is obvious, with gyms offering everything from yoga, Pilates, and core training to cardio kickboxing. Other classes like TRX and Zumba gained popularity in the coming decades and were quickly adopted by Gold’s Gym locations around the world. This past year, Gold’s Gym partnered with Microsoft to bring fitness into the next era by featuring its branded workouts on the Microsoft Band, the most cutting-edge smartband available.

THE LEGACY CONTINUES

The Gold’s Gym legacy has left its mark on America’s attitude toward fitness, even though at the beginning, it was never a guarantee. “More than 45 years ago we all together went on a crusade to fight for health and fitness for resistance training, bodybuilding, and weightlifting,” Schwarzenegger said at a recent celebration. “At that time, everyone laughed. Now 45 years later, there isn’t one hotel in the world that doesn’t have a fitness room. Our crusade has been extremely successful.” In the next 50 years, Gold’s Gym is poised to remain a leading force in the world of fitness. Joe Gold, his group of ambitious bodybuilders, and the stewards of the Gold’s Gym legacy who came in the half century after truly did create a modern revolution. - FLEX

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1361 on: August 13, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »
GREGZ, Thanks for the above info on Gold's.

I just got back on line and am doing my best to catch up and respond to a lot of these GetBig postings and I think I can add some basic info to the above article which I think may be partially incorrect.

I'll need some time to digest it all so 'stand by to stand by'.

WIGGS, It was great meeting you at the USA Champs.

For any Getbigger who may dislike WIGGS for any reason, give yourself a chance to meet him and you'll discover that you'll most likely have a friend for life.

It was a real pleasure meeting ya, WIGGS.

And thanks to RON for the introduction.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1362 on: August 14, 2015, 03:55:17 PM »
...WIGGS, It was great meeting you at the USA Champs.

For any Getbigger who may dislike WIGGS for any reason, give yourself a chance to meet him and you'll discover that you'll most likely have a friend for life.

It was a real pleasure meeting ya, WIGGS.

Really?  So he's not an insufferable racist buttwipe in person? He doesn't go on and on with his DEF2YT dross and his Afronomical predickshuns about the Dark World of Nibiru destroyifiying whitey (except for de womenz, a'course) and the original whatever was really black theories?

Really?  So he's just a regular guy in real life, i.e., hard working and intelligent with no trace of stupid on his person?   

Really?  Was he high or is that yet another load of BS like the afromentioned drivel of his?

Really?  He really is normal? 

Good.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1363 on: August 14, 2015, 07:14:25 PM »
SCOTT, Yes, in my humble opinion .... WIGGS really is a great person and it was actually great meeting him.

I will admit though that the first thing I said to him once Ron introduced us was, "Wiggs, I hate you!"

I said that with as much 'humor' as I could muster but there was a minor bit of truth in it due to the fact that I tend to disagree with some of the stuff he posts on this GetBig Board.

But I immediately learned that you cannot judge a "book by it's coverage on the internet" and within a minute or so ... we were the best of buds.

And I hope we'l stay in contact if he ever reads this stuff and starts to communicate.

We did communicate well during the hour or so that  we communicated.

SCOTT, I can almost guarantee that you'd feel the same way if you ever had the opportunity to meet WIGGS. And it appeared that RON felt likewise.

Other than that, how you been?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1364 on: September 24, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »
few more oddball mb pics.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1365 on: September 24, 2015, 10:43:36 AM »
 :o
F

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1366 on: September 26, 2015, 10:00:05 AM »
This is how it all began.  Adverstisements like these, and smaller, in the back of comic books and cheap magazines:

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1367 on: September 26, 2015, 10:03:43 AM »
Some more:

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1368 on: September 26, 2015, 10:06:51 AM »
And some more:

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1369 on: September 26, 2015, 10:54:23 AM »
REPS, Thanks! Interesting ads.

The one and only time that I ordered a product from one of Weider's magazines was for a bottle of "Super Gain Weight" or some similar name.

It was a thick liquid and tasted  like Geritol .... which I'm pretty sure it was back then.

When I was real young I ordered the Charles Atlas programs and received enough mail over the next few months than I could possibly read over the next few months.

Is Charlie still offering his programs in any of the comic books?

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1370 on: September 26, 2015, 11:22:24 AM »
REPS, Thanks! Interesting ads.

The one and only time that I ordered a product from one of Weider's magazines was for a bottle of "Super Gain Weight" or some similar name.

It was a thick liquid and tasted  like Geritol .... which I'm pretty sure it was back then.

When I was real young I ordered the Charles Atlas programs and received enough mail over the next few months than I could possibly read over the next few months.

Is Charlie still offering his programs in any of the comic books?

I did too!  I ordered the Atlas course and I got all kinds of mail, actually over about the next couple of years.  Especially from Weider.  Once he sent me a complimentary copy of one of his magazines.  That was the first time I ever saw a muscle magazine.

I actually have a funny story about ordering the Charles Atlas course.  I mailed in the couple requesting the info, and when I got the response, here to find out the course cost $36.  Well, I didn't have $36, it mights as well have been $36,000,000.   So I thought forget that.

About a month later, I got another mailer from Atlas.  This time the course was like $32.  Again, I didn't have $32 so forget it.  A few weeks later, I got another mailer.  This time it was like $26.  Forget that.  Another few weeks go by, another mailer, now it was like $22.  By this time I caught on and thought I'll just wait and see what I get next time.

Finally, after I don't know how many mailers, the price dropped to $6.  At $6, which I had, I bought.

When I look back on this, I think, what a stupid shit I was!  I should have held out!  I might have gotten the damn course for $3 or $4.  Maybe $2.

I eventually threw the course away and am sorry I did.  I remember some of it, but would just like to see all that was in it.

I have no idea if the Charles Atlas course is still advertised.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1371 on: September 26, 2015, 11:50:57 AM »
REPS, What was the approximate year of that complimentary copy from Weider ... and what year did you order the Charles Atlas stuff?

I think that $36 was really equivalent to $36,000,000 back then. Coffee was only a dime and you could add on a doughnut for a nickel and gas was  less than 22 cents a gallon which included two gas station attendants cleeaning your windows, checking your oil, checking your tires, filling your radiator, and vacuuming the interior.

And they were all dressed in white uniforms and wore bow ties.

I was one of those guys through half my college years.

I might be able top respond with some interesting stuff if you could let me know the approximate years as requested above.

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1372 on: September 26, 2015, 12:19:12 PM »
I'm not precisely certain of the years, but I would guess the Atlas course was about 1966, and the Weider magazine about 1967 or 68.

Unfortunately I don't have the magazine either.  I don't remember the cover, but I do remember photos in it of Dave Draper working out (and using equipment that I never seen or dreamt of) and a photo or photos of Harold Poole whom I belived they captioned as America's best built teen.

It was a whole different world back then.  A world you could never explain to young people today.  

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1373 on: September 27, 2015, 06:54:53 AM »
I'm not precisely certain of the years, but I would guess the Atlas course was about 1966, and the Weider magazine about 1967 or 68.

Unfortunately I don't have the magazine either.  I don't remember the cover, but I do remember photos in it of Dave Draper working out (and using equipment that I never seen or dreamt of) and a photo or photos of Harold Poole whom I belived they captioned as America's best built teen.

It was a whole different world back then.  A world you could never explain to young people today.  

That's because it was a world built on the bubble of belief.  Until that is, that bubble was burst by the reality of a pin at the end of a syringe.

I blame the film, "Pumping Iron".  It showed the difference between us and them was nothing more than a needle away.  Or a bottle.  The sixties was the beginning of the end of innocence in many ways.  The seventies opened the door to the truth and the eighties was the onramp to reality.  After which bodybuilding has been "on the road" in so many redundant and retarded videos but always ends with the one to dialysis.

Give me the 40s through the mid 80s.  Once we got past the point of no return it was obvious that the lies grew with the competitor's guts.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1374 on: September 27, 2015, 08:58:28 AM »
SCOTT, WELL STATED!

I lived through all those years with a close tie to all things weight related .... general fitness, odd lifting, powerlifting, olympic lifting, bodybuilding, etc., etc.

And have actually met most of the people involved in the above plus the major gym owners, magazine owners, and photographers.

I can almost entirely agree with you but I've seen a lot of good shit as a result of being involved and very little bad.

Way back then, the only bullshit and possibly the original was the stuff that was sold in the magazines and the claims that everyone wanted to believe.

I was once given a million dollars (exaggeration) worth of early 20th century physical culture magazines which made fitness claims that would boggle the mind of anyone within the lifting world today.

I gave them to a good friend who was in the bodybuilding magazine business and will contact him to see if they are still in his possession and possibly post some of those ads / articles / claims  on this GetBig Board

I can guarantee that  98% of today's bodybuilding fans have never even heard of them.

And each issue was respectable which was a common trait back then .... but never the less claims were made that were damn near impossible.

I think I got off track here!

I can go on and on about all those years, but GetBiggers hate reading too many words and tend to get irate which is contrary to my nature since I got retired ..... and a bit retarded which I guess comes with age.

Which leads me to expect that many GetBiggers are actually in their 90's or even beyond it.

With the exception of you, of course!

And a handful of others who know what the hell they are talking about.
But apparently 'good people' none the less.