Author Topic: The hardest language for a native english speaker : German or Spanish?  (Read 2282 times)

Boost

• Getbig V
I know several multilingual posters can hopefully shed some light on the challenges both of these languages present to the average dumb American/Brit/Aussie whose foreign language abilities are limited.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
German is OK ... spanish don´t know....

Kilo Medic

• Getbig II
Spanish is fairly similar to English, sharing many words. 

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!

This.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Of the two I think Spanish is easier. German is where a lot of English vocab comes from, but the grammar is very complicated.

I think the foreign service put out a list of languages that rated the main ones in terms of time it took to become comfortable speaking them, and for English speakers I think it was Korean that topped out as the hardest to learn.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
I've studied Spanish and Arabic. Spanish was pretty easy but challenging. Arabic is difficult because its a whole different alphabet. I want to continue studying Arabic and also learn some Italian. Really like the way Italian sounds.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
I took private German lessons for ten weeks(had a baby, so it's been put on hold) and while there were a lot of similarities with sentence structure and cognates, it is still difficult. I had hoped to learn enough to be able to converse a bit by this Christmas when I go back, but I think that's very far fetched at this point. I have no Spanish, but had three years of French, but that didn't seem any easier really. At least with German, the letters are pronounced, no real "silent" ones like in french(ie c'est).

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
German is a bitch - lots of practice is needed.
It never sounds as relaxed or smooth as English but in areas like theater and drama German is the bomb.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Spanish tends to be a little easier (and easier on the ears) than German, i would say.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
vocabulary on german is easy and fun
grammar really sucks because of "declinaisons"
asstropin

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
It never sounds as relaxed or smooth as English but in areas like theater and drama German is the bomb.

What is your native language Bruce?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️

according to an x-German girlfriend of mine, you austrians are considered hillbillies and inferior to German people :D

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Not sure which is the toughest language for English speakers but it sure isn't Spanish or German.  Personally, I've found Thai to be ridiculously hard;
I've taken 5 semesters of college German and a year of (nothing but) Russian at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey (I was a Russian voice interceptor, MOS 98G, in the army) so I've always considered myself pretty talented when it comes to languages but trying to learn Thai humbled me.
Holy fuck, tonal languages suuuuuck!  Thai has 5 tones: low, medium, high, rising, and falling.  So you can have a word like "ma" have 5 completely different meanings depending on your tone.  I must say that the grammar is actually pretty simple (especially compared to Russian with its 6 cases) but then, when you try to learn thai's sanskrit-based writing system, it's all bad.  I have at least 10 Thai language instruction books but none explain the writing system clearly enough for me to catch on.  Oh well, guess I don't really need to communicate with my in-laws anyway, right?

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Not even close. It's German. The sentence structure is often not the same as it is in English. This gives English speakers problems. It's not just the vocab. Once you get it down though, it becomes alot easier.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Not sure which is the toughest language for English speakers but it sure isn't Spanish or German.  Personally, I've found Thai to be ridiculously hard;
I've taken 5 semesters of college German and a year of (nothing but) Russian at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey (I was a Russian voice interceptor, MOS 98G, in the army) so I've always considered myself pretty talented when it comes to languages but trying to learn Thai humbled me.
Holy fuck, tonal languages suuuuuck!  Thai has 5 tones: low, medium, high, rising, and falling.  So you can have a word like "ma" have 5 completely different meanings depending on your tone.  I must say that the grammar is actually pretty simple (especially compared to Russian with its 6 cases) but then, when you try to learn thai's sanskrit-based writing system, it's all bad.  I have at least 10 Thai language instruction books but none explain the writing system clearly enough for me to catch on.  Oh well, guess I don't really need to communicate with my in-laws thai ladyboys anyway, right?

Fixed.  ;D

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
I don't know about German but the grammar in Spanish is difficult even for native people. Speaking I don't think it would be that hard for a gringo.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
I don't know about German but the grammar in Spanish is difficult even for native people. Speaking I don't think it would be that hard for a gringo.

German pronunciation may be easier for them though...just sound pissed off all the time.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Category I: Languages closely related to English
23-24 weeks (575-600 class hours)
Afrikaans
Catalan
Danish
Dutch
French
Galician
Italian
Norwegian
Portuguese
Romanian
Spanish
Swedish
Category II: Languages with significant linguistic and/or cultural differences from English
44 weeks (1100 class hours)
Albanian
Amharic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Belarusian
Bengali
Bosnian
Bulgarian
Burmese
Cebuano
Croatian
Czech
*Dzongkha
*Estonian
*Finnish
*Georgian
Greek
Gujarati
Hebrew
Hindi
*Hungarian
Icelandic
Ilocano
Irish
Kannada
Kazakh
Kurdish
Kyrgyz
Khmer
Lao
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Marathi
*Mongolian
Nepali
Pashto
Persian (Dari, Farsi, Tajik)
Polish
Punjabi
Russian
Serbian
Sinhalese
Slovak
Slovenian
Somali
Tagalog
Tamil
Tanchangya
Telugu
Tetum
*Thai
Turkish
Turkmen
Ukrainian
Urdu
Uzbek
*Vietnamese
Xhosa
Zulu
Category III: Languages which are quite difficult for native English speakers
88 weeks (2200 class hours)(about half that time preferably spent studying in-country)
Arabic
Cantonese
*Japanese
Korean
Mandarin
Taiwanese (Hokkien Min Nan)
Wu
Other languages: 30-36 weeks (750-900 class hours)
German (30 weeks / 750 class hours)
Indonesian (36 weeks / 900 class hours)
Javanese (36 weeks / 900 class hours)
Jumieka (36 weeks / 900 class hours)
Malay (36 weeks / 900 class hours)
Swahili (36 weeks / 900 class hours)

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
German pronunciation may be easier for them though...just sound pissed off all the time.

LOL  :D

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
Looks like you're fluent in pansy.  I'm sure you can learn whatever language you want at this point
Y

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
actually there a good quantity of falsefriends words

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Speak Spanish to God
Italian to women
and German to dogs

I said that to someone here (in Germany) and he just said "Ja - richtig."

Dutch is kinda cool though. It sounds like some English guy got drunk and tried to speak German.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Speak Spanish to God
Italian to women
and German to dogs

I said that to someone here (in Germany) and he just said "Ja - richtig."

Dutch is kinda cool though. It sounds like some English guy got drunk and tried to speak German.
well when i speak German.. a lot of Germans ask if i am Dutch because of my Scottish Accent...

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
88 weeks (2200 class hours)(about half that time preferably spent studying in-country)
Arabic

why, what's the reward vs. the risk for an american?

Kilo Medic

• Getbig II
actually there a good quantity of falsefriends words
True!