Author Topic: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 1980 only - the lean dry champ  (Read 597874 times)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 1980 only - the lean dry champ
« Reply #1350 on: October 04, 2019, 05:54:42 PM »
Mentzer was obviously obsessed with Arnold

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1351 on: October 04, 2019, 06:00:15 PM »

he basically quit after 1980...

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #1352 on: October 04, 2019, 06:03:08 PM »

He did it was his last contest ever.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #1353 on: October 04, 2019, 06:19:35 PM »

Pearl never won the mr.O , wasn't even  the guy to look for there anyways  ....Plus Arnold left in 75 as the best ever wanting to move on to bigger and better things (Hollywood)  he even lost all his muscles in his late 20's to look more Appealing in show business, he was way above the BB industry  ...  no way you could see coming back to competitive BB .

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  1980 .

Nope Pearl Never competed in The Olympia - So He wasn’t likely to win it was he.
He Competed in the Mr Universe.

Regardless of what Arnold did after 75 - The Majority of Competitors in the 1980
Olympia would’ve of Known about him thinking of Competing - Certainly the Likes
Of Zane / Coe / Mentzer & the Other West coast Competitors.
The Bodybuilding Grapevine would’ve been very Busy with talk of Arnold back Then.

Only you believe what you want - Carry on.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1354 on: October 05, 2019, 08:54:20 AM »
He did it was his last contest ever.

sounds cheesy - but quitters never win

just a guy with a getbig account and i was not around in the era... but seems if he would have kept training/competing he would have won a Mr O sometimes in the mid 1980s

1981 to about 1985 he could have maybe beat Dickerson, Samir, or franco etc

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1355 on: October 05, 2019, 09:27:10 AM »

Mentzer was a true influencer charismatic and extremely articulated. 

Ironically with his chest genetics he didn't have a chance in hell surpassing Arnold. 

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #1356 on: October 08, 2019, 05:11:53 PM »
 :)

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1357 on: October 08, 2019, 07:40:45 PM »

He was the quintessential quitter.  He quit bodybuilding and later, life.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1358 on: October 09, 2019, 06:54:29 PM »
Mentzer was such an influence on my training. Even today. Maybe to my detriment. I remember buying every magazine that had any article he wrote or was written about him. I use to tear them out and put them in a binder. I still have it somewhere. Maybe the most complete collection of his writings outside of the few books he put out. I remember the first time he was featured in an article in the Weider magazines. It created quite a sensation.  No body builder had better publicity than him for a couple of years. At his peak he was making 200K a year. Back then that was probably the equivalent of a million a year. Quite a sum for a bodybuilder. I wish someone had the old video of him on the old show The Superstars on ABC.  I remember how disappointed I was in him running the 100 yard dash. Embarrassingly slow.  I have a vague memory of him going out in the push press part of the competition at something like 300lbs. It's really disturbing how much I know about him. Just in my teens and early twenties he was a much talked about bodybuilder.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #1359 on: October 09, 2019, 07:16:42 PM »
GEEZUS,everytime I look through this thread it just makes me wonder what the fuck happened to bodybuilding  ???

These guys all look incredible!

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1360 on: October 09, 2019, 07:21:05 PM »
:)

Not a good pic for Mike He Looks by far the worst stood there in that shot.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1361 on: October 10, 2019, 06:38:15 AM »
GEEZUS,everytime I look through this thread it just makes me wonder what the fuck happened to bodybuilding  ???

These guys all look incredible!

True the guys of today look like giant bloats.  Soft water retention phony muscle. No doubt in my mind that a prime Arnold standing next to these giant bloats would win hands down if the judges weren't idiots.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1362 on: October 10, 2019, 07:45:06 PM »
Mentzer was such an influence on my training. Even today. Maybe to my detriment. I remember buying every magazine that had any article he wrote or was written about him. I use to tear them out and put them in a binder. I still have it somewhere. Maybe the most complete collection of his writings outside of the few books he put out. I remember the first time he was featured in an article in the Weider magazines. It created quite a sensation.  No body builder had better publicity than him for a couple of years. At his peak he was making 200K a year. Back then that was probably the equivalent of a million a year. Quite a sum for a bodybuilder. I wish someone had the old video of him on the old show The Superstars on ABC.  I remember how disappointed I was in him running the 100 yard dash. Embarrassingly slow.  I have a vague memory of him going out in the push press part of the competition at something like 300lbs. It's really disturbing how much I know about him. Just in my teens and early twenties he was a much talked about bodybuilder.

Wasn't the Superstar competition in the early 80's after he stopped competing? I wonder how he would have done if he would have did in the late 70's when he was at his peak.

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
« Reply #1363 on: October 11, 2019, 05:20:54 AM »

Same for me, but much difficult in Italy and in an era when Internet didn't exist, training WAS heavy duty.
High volume was just for wannabes... Oh my joints sadly prove that...  :'(
North of Italy

slb

• Getbig I
« Reply #1364 on: October 11, 2019, 04:41:55 PM »
1982 MEN'S PRELIMINARY 3

The New York Islanders' Bob Nystrom and miler Marty Liquori locked in a duel for the top spot. They went head-to-head in several events, but when Nystrom won the bike race, Liquori needed a top 2 finish in the 100 yard dash to beat Nystrom. Liquori finished fifth and wound up five points behind Nystrom in the final standings. Body builders Lou Ferrigno and Mike Mentzer locked in a classic, record breaking duel in the weight lifting. Both men lifted 320 pounds to break the record of 315 set by Lyle Alzado in 1979. Both men missed at 330, Ferrigno was successful in the tiebreak at 325 pounds to win the event and set the record.

Key Biscayne, Florida

Competition Dates: August 13 & 14, 1981

Air Date: February 7, 1982

Announcers: Frank Gifford, Bob Beattie.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1365 on: October 11, 2019, 04:45:54 PM »
Wasn't the Superstar competition in the early 80's after he stopped competing? I wonder how he would have done if he would have did in the late 70's when he was at his peak.

Mike was no ordinary bodybuilder. He was also a philosopher and writer. There was only one truth and this applies to training theories. He believed he knew the truth and Arnold and others didn’t. So when he placed 5th his world collapsed. He alone knew the truth and hence, right way to train so should have been rewarded. To Mike, that contest was fixed because so many of the judges were friends of Arnold. Since he was punished in 1980 he refused to enter any more IFBB contests. If an undeserving Arnold could win then what was the point in competing? There was none, so he abandoned bodybuilding.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1366 on: October 11, 2019, 08:15:15 PM »

Mike was no ordinary bodybuilder. He was also a philosopher and writer. There was only one truth and this applies to training theories. He believed he knew the truth and Arnold and others didn’t. So when he placed 5th his world collapsed. He alone knew the truth and hence, right way to train so should have been rewarded. To Mike, that contest was fixed because so many of the judges were friends of Arnold. Since he was punished in 1980 he refused to enter any more IFBB contests. If an undeserving Arnold could win then what was the point in competing? There was none, so he abandoned bodybuilding.

He abandoned more than bodybuilding, he abandoned life. There is no logic in letting a fixed show govern the rest of your life.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1367 on: October 11, 2019, 08:43:25 PM »
He abandoned more than bodybuilding, he abandoned life. There is no logic in letting a fixed show govern the rest of your life.

He should have been thinking outside of the box and picked his own judges.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1368 on: October 11, 2019, 08:51:13 PM »
True the guys of today look like giant bloats.  Soft water retention phony muscle. No doubt in my mind that a prime Arnold standing next to these giant bloats would win hands down if the judges weren't idiots.
That`s just it,the judges of today would have no idea that they were actually looking at near perfection.

IDIOTS!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1369 on: October 11, 2019, 08:52:39 PM »
1982 MEN'S PRELIMINARY 3

The New York Islanders' Bob Nystrom and miler Marty Liquori locked in a duel for the top spot. They went head-to-head in several events, but when Nystrom won the bike race, Liquori needed a top 2 finish in the 100 yard dash to beat Nystrom. Liquori finished fifth and wound up five points behind Nystrom in the final standings. Body builders Lou Ferrigno and Mike Mentzer locked in a classic, record breaking duel in the weight lifting. Both men lifted 320 pounds to break the record of 315 set by Lyle Alzado in 1979. Both men missed at 330, Ferrigno was successful in the tiebreak at 325 pounds to win the event and set the record.

Key Biscayne, Florida

Competition Dates: August 13 & 14, 1981

Air Date: February 7, 1982

Announcers: Frank Gifford, Bob Beattie.
WELCOME TO THE THUNDERDOME ........................ ................FUCKFACE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1370 on: October 11, 2019, 08:55:56 PM »
X2 he simply quit fuck that perfect training regimen excuse bullshit.

Nothing worse than a sore loser with an infantile attitude who takes their toys home to spite some other kids............I`m not playing,so there !!

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1371 on: October 13, 2019, 10:53:57 AM »
I wonder why nobody asks Arnold about the damn never before seen footage of his last Oympia victory, I mean everyone and their mother has something to say but him. 

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1372 on: October 13, 2019, 11:48:19 AM »
I wonder why nobody asks Arnold about the damn never before seen footage of his last Oympia victory, I mean everyone and their mother has something to say but him. 

He doesn’t need to - - He Won.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #1373 on: October 14, 2019, 05:39:09 AM »

Nothing worse than a sore loser with an infantile attitude who takes their toys home to spite some other kids............I`m not playing,so there !!

Bingo. 

Yup - i see that often w a lot of phonies - they juice cause they like the results - but hate the effort and grind and the actual work.   So they quit and go back to being lazy and fat.  Basile is like Al Bundy - still living off the HS 4 TD game decades later.   

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1374 on: October 14, 2019, 08:24:05 AM »

He had a Half Decent Physique- Some Good bodyparts
Came up with a gimmicky catching training protocol
Yet was Mentally weak & unstable
Got well beaten in one contest & couldn’t handle it  ::)
That’s Quite Sad & Pathetic Really.

He liked to talk the talk only couldn’t walk the walk.