Author Topic: Report: Leon Panetta revealed classified SEAL unit info  (Read 864 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Report: Leon Panetta revealed classified SEAL unit info
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:33:50 AM »
Skip to comments.
Report: Leon Panetta revealed classified SEAL unit info
Politico ^ 

Posted on Wednesday, June 05, 2013 10:32:27 AM by Perdogg

Former CIA Director Leon Panetta revealed the name of the Navy SEAL unit that carried out the Osama Bin Laden raid and named the unit’s ground commander at a 2011 ceremony attended by Zero Dark Thirty filmmaker Mark Boal, according to a draft Pentagon inspector general’s report obtained by a watchdog group.

(Excerpt) Read more at politico.com ...

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Report: Leon Panetta revealed classified SEAL unit info
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:17:32 AM »
Hahahahahaah.........but (rolling on the ground) we're gonna hahahaahah investigate James Rosen...hahaha for the very same thing! Oh you silly lib fucktards...hahahaahah  ::)
L

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:33:22 AM »
Making a big deal of revealing the name of the unit seems kind of silly to me. If it was classified, then revealing it is obviously bad on its face; but then classifying it to begin with seems somewhat silly. Revealing the name of the unit is a big deal, no argument there.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 11:35:39 AM »
So manning gets prosecuted, Rosen gets his life and family upended, but Panetta and O-Slime get to shine in glory for the same thing?

Fuck Obama and the govt - most worthless admn of anyones' lifetime.   

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 11:42:35 AM »
Making a big deal of revealing the name of the unit seems kind of silly to me. If it was classified, then revealing it is obviously bad on its face; but then classifying it to begin with seems somewhat silly. Revealing the name of the unit is a big deal, no argument there.

Its a big deal...this is THE top Tier 1 unit in the country. They're responsibilities go much deeper then even Delta's. Nobody knows the exact size or composition of these units. Sure there are pretty good ideas as to how they operate, who's been in them but not hard facts. You can fiond hard facts on any Green Beret Unit that we currently have. These guys are black SOF. They operate under different rules. They work with other units, elements and activities that normal US citizens don't know exist. There are blacker units out there. Most aren't direct action units. Most are intel gathering orgs that take folks from ST6 or Delta and other more well known groups. There's a reason they change their names often. Some of the darker units change every few years. Read Mark Bowden's book 'Killing Pablo' he talks about one such unit.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 12:03:09 PM »
So manning gets prosecuted, Rosen gets his life and family upended, but Panetta and O-Slime get to shine in glory for the same thing?

Fuck Obama and the govt - most worthless admn of anyones' lifetime.   

another reason to impeach him.  Why won't the "repubs" on getbig call for his impeachment?  Why is 99% of congress silent on the subject?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »
another reason to impeach him.  Why won't the "repubs" on getbig call for his impeachment?  Why is 99% of congress silent on the subject?

No idea - its maddening.  O-Slime needs to be impeached

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 12:28:40 PM »
Its a big deal...this is THE top Tier 1 unit in the country. They're responsibilities go much deeper then even Delta's. Nobody knows the exact size or composition of these units. Sure there are pretty good ideas as to how they operate, who's been in them but not hard facts. You can fiond hard facts on any Green Beret Unit that we currently have. These guys are black SOF. They operate under different rules. They work with other units, elements and activities that normal US citizens don't know exist. There are blacker units out there. Most aren't direct action units. Most are intel gathering orgs that take folks from ST6 or Delta and other more well known groups. There's a reason they change their names often. Some of the darker units change every few years. Read Mark Bowden's book 'Killing Pablo' he talks about one such unit.

No, you're missing my point. My point is that revealing a name isn't likely to be a big deal if proper operational safeguards are in place and some common sense is in use.

What if I told you they're named "Epsilon" or "The Barneys" or even "The Bad Motherfuckers" or "Unit 9"? It's a meaningless name. You can classify it if you want, but the classification itself buys you little in terms of security.

Now it's conceivable the name itself conveyed information so sensitive as to warrant  classification, like "Unit 6, headquartered on the abandoned shed on the plot adjacent to Highway 9 and 79th Street in Idaho" or "Unit 9, composed of Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, Sylvester Stallone, Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren" exposing the isentities of our elite warriors and ruining the cover the spent years establishing.

But I doubt such a name would fly. You know, operational security and common sense.

With all that said, if the name was classified (regardless of whether I consider the classification silly) it should not have been revealed.

And the name of the commander certainly shouldn't have been.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 12:32:31 PM »
The downing of the Chopper in Afghanistan w the 20+ DevGru operators completely obliterates your argument.   Obama / Biden / Panetta were desperate to bask in the glory of it and are guilty of the same thing they now prosecute others for doing. 

No, you're missing my point. My point is that revealing a name isn't likely to be a big deal if proper operational safeguards are in place and some common sense is in use.

What if I told you they're named "Epsilon" or "The Barneys" or even "The Bad Motherfuckers" or "Unit 9"? It's a meaningless name. You can classify it if you want, but the classification itself buys you little in terms of security.

Now it's conceivable the name itself conveyed information so sensitive as to warrant  classification, like "Unit 6, headquartered on the abandoned shed on the plot adjacent to Highway 9 and 79th Street in Idaho" or "Unit 9, composed of Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, Sylvester Stallone, Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren" exposing the isentities of our elite warriors and ruining the cover the spent years establishing.

But I doubt such a name would fly. You know, operational security and common sense.

With all that said, if the name was classified (regardless of whether I consider the classification silly) it should not have been revealed.

And the name of the commander certainly shouldn't have been.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
The official names are tied to budgets, locations and folks assigned. CAG or Delta is unofficially called the "unit" since its founding. They're on Bragg and you can sorta drive by the compound. I have.....its huge and its obvious they have a big budget. I'm sure everybody at Little Creek knows where ST6 hangs its hat officially but if something is classified...its classified. Dudes get crushed all the time for leave Secret doc lying around...docs that would mean nothing to most people as the services over classify everything anyway. But if your gonna tap Rosens' phone and email claiming national security, then Leon should get slapped as well for this.
L

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »
The downing of the Chopper in Afghanistan w the 20+ DevGru operators completely obliterates your argument.   Obama / Biden / Panetta were desperate to bask in the glory of it and are guilty of the same thing they now prosecute others for doing. 

Huh? What argument does this obliterate? What possible information do you derive if I tell you that the most elite military unit is actually called "The Mamas and the Papas" but they are changing their name to "The Jackson 5"?

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 12:42:58 PM »
The official names are tied to budgets, locations and folks assigned. CAG or Delta is unofficially called the "unit" since its founding. They're on Bragg and you can sorta drive by the compound. I have.....its huge and its obvious they have a big budget. I'm sure everybody at Little Creek knows where ST6 hangs its hat officially but if something is classified...its classified. Dudes get crushed all the time for leave Secret doc lying around...docs that would mean nothing to most people as the services over classify everything anyway. But if your gonna tap Rosens' phone and email claiming national security, then Leon should get slapped as well for this.

That's a fair point - although I'd imagine such units have "black on black" budgets or get their funding surreptitiously anyways. Frankly, they should employ the sort of double identity the CIA uses. A project might be called MK-ORBIT for budget purposes but DZ-MAGENTA for operational purposes.

As I said, I agree with you: if it's classified it's classified. What I'm arguing is that sometimes silly stuff is classified for the sake of being classified without good reason; I consider classifying a name to be silly barring some actual evidence that the classification is important. Your argument about budgets is such evidence.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
I'm sure AG Holder is all over this. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »
The chopper didn't just crash. They were part of an aerial IED incident or pretty advanced shoot down. We heard a possible SA rocket...not unlike an SA 7. They don't engage us much we these because they're hard to get so they save them. We had an SA 7 turned into our FOB in Iraq. They shut down all fixed wing for 10 days and we had all kinds of visitors ransacking Kirkuk looking for more for a few days.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 12:50:55 PM »
That's a fair point - although I'd imagine such units have "black on black" budgets or get their funding surreptitiously anyways. Frankly, they should employ the sort of double identity the CIA uses. A project might be called MK-ORBIT for budget purposes but DZ-MAGENTA for operational purposes.

As I said, I agree with you: if it's classified it's classified. What I'm arguing that sometimes silly stuff is classified and I consider classifying a name to be silly.

They have laws that govern classification, why they classify names and what happens when they change names etc. We just don't do shit for the sake of doing shit. The bureaucracy drives me batshit crazy. Congress has oversight on all kinds of things you'd never think anybody would care about. When you get into Black SOF...there's a reg for everything. They had a reporter from the New York Times that released the color coded designations for all the special task forces operating against AQI. TF Black was Brit SOF operating against former Bathists etc....TF Red was such and such etc. It gave a run down of who was assigned to do whatever....once published the folks in the green zone had to get the guy out of the country because these guys wanted to round him up and make him dissappeare.
L

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »
They have laws that govern classification, why they classify names and what happens when they change names etc. We just don't do shit for the sake of doing shit. The bureaucracy drives me batshit crazy. Congress has oversight on all kinds of things you'd never think anybody would care about. When you get into Black SOF...there's a reg for everything. They had a reporter from the New York Times that released the color coded designations for all the special task forces operating against AQI. TF Black was Brit SOF operating against former Bathists etc....TF Red was such and such etc. It gave a run down of who was assigned to do whatever....once published the folks in the green zone had to get the guy out of the country because these guys wanted to round him up and make him dissappeare.

I know they do - and I don't disagree that we need such things. Again, my point was that we tend to overclassify things (the whole "CIA cafeteria menu" joke isn't without some basis in fact). But you are right, the bureaucracy is enough to drive you crazy.

I didn't think about the budget issue you brought up - or rather, I assumed that they took reasonable operational precautions similar to precautions I've encountered in non-military situations.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 01:06:35 PM »
Yeah....and its only getting worse. My current unit hasn't really felt the affects. We're furloing our civi's and cutting alot of exercises but I can still buy shit and travel so its not to bad yet. I've heard the things from the late 70's and lived some of it in the late 90's.
L

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 02:07:33 PM »

Interesting that their responsibilities go deeper than Delta. Never really hear much about Delta though I know they're considered Tier 1 like DEVGRU.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 03:05:27 PM »
Interesting that their responsibilities go deeper than Delta. Never really hear much about Delta though I know they're considered Tier 1 like DEVGRU.
I think Delta has a much narrower mission focus, which I'm think is pretty strictly hostage rescue/counter-terror type stuff, whereas devgru does everything from direct action all the way to guarding high value targets such as high ranking cabinet members when they're out of country.

There's lots of rumors that flew around about these guys when I wad enlisted, and of course everyone knows at least one tier one operator ( ::) ), but its really impossible to know exactly what these guys do.