Author Topic: This drummer beats 'em all...INCLUDING Neil Peart  (Read 15899 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: This drummer beats 'em all...INCLUDING Neil Peart
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 06:20:34 AM »
Lars Ulrich ? The rich kid who bought his way into a rock band ?

Let me put it like this......I'm a better drummer than Lars Ulrich, and i can't play the drums.

;D

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 06:23:01 AM »
Buddy was a fantastic drummer. Of this there's no doubt. However, the man's legend has become such that, no matter how good anyone is or becomes, Buddy's name will be thrust out as "the best" by a collective that won't allow any other mentioned.

Fact is, among the tens of thousands of drummers world wide who have become accomplished, quite a few are likely similar to Buddy in monster skill.

To suggest the man bests all drummers in every facet of drumming is absurd.    

The fact is that it is simply your opinion versus mine. I opine that Rich is the best. Your retort that surely someone somewhere is better.

We agree to disagree, since neither of us can prove our point with any degree of veracity.

Statistically speaking, the odds weigh in your favor since an infinite number of monkeys on an infinite number of drumsets over an infinite amount of time will eventually produce a solo better than anything Buddy has ever done.

I just don't think we've seen that monkey yet.

I would also ask you to produce a video, or article, where one drummer claims he is better than Rich ever was, and that that claimants peer group support his assertion. I think you'll be hard pressed to find that, but I'm open minded.

I've been drumming for over 20 years. There are thousands of great accomplished drummers and I appreciate them all and all have something to teach. But I just can't imagine anyone being more influential or groundbreaking than Rich, today. He was too far ahead of his time and laid a foundation to inspire drummers for a century.

I'll grant you your claim about "legend" though...it does get crazy. But, with all the video evidence of his exploits, it's not like it's hard to back much of it up.

Over to you.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 06:23:41 AM »
J. Porcaro FTW

RIP. He was incredible. Taken too young by the demons of rock and roll.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 06:31:15 AM »
A few of my favorite drummers, Terry Bozzio, Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford, they don't get enough credit for their skill!
NICE LIST,,,,DRUMS ESPECIALLY LIVE MAKE THE BAND ,NICE BASS DRUM/BEAT/TIGHT SNARE SOUND,DRUM SOLOS ARE NICE BUT PLAYING AROUND AND GIVING THAT BIG SOUND IN AN ARENA IS AWESOME,,,LARRY MULLEN JR FROM U2 HAS THAT SOUND LIVE GREAT,,ANOTHER GUY GOOD DRUMMER JIMMY CHAMBERLIN FROM SMASHING PUMPKINS,,,HAWKINS FROM FOO FIGHTER IS DAVE GROHL CLONE LOL,,,

R.A.M.

• Getbig IV
  • BOOM!! Take a Look at this hunk of Man.
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 06:40:46 AM »
One of my favorite drummers

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 07:14:54 AM »
NICE LIST,,,,DRUMS ESPECIALLY LIVE MAKE THE BAND ,NICE BASS DRUM/BEAT/TIGHT SNARE SOUND,DRUM SOLOS ARE NICE BUT PLAYING AROUND AND GIVING THAT BIG SOUND IN AN ARENA IS AWESOME,,,LARRY MULLEN JR FROM U2 HAS THAT SOUND LIVE GREAT,,ANOTHER GUY GOOD DRUMMER JIMMY CHAMBERLIN FROM SMASHING PUMPKINS,,,HAWKINS FROM FOO FIGHTER IS DAVE GROHL CLONE LOL,,,
A few others Roger Taylor from Queen, Alex Van Halen, Gene Krupa and Louie Belson! I could go on and on with different styles and eras!

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 07:16:59 AM »
Billy should be in any list of drummers

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 07:23:06 AM »
Billy should be in any list of drummers

Absolutely!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 07:40:03 AM »
A few others Roger Taylor from Queen, Alex Van Halen, Gene Krupa and Louie Belson! I could go on and on with different styles and eras!
AGAIN GOOD LIST REP..ALEX VAN HALEN IS POWERFUL DRUMMER LIVE GREAT DRUM SOLO,,,AGAIN HE KEEPS THE BAND ON,,,

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 07:46:54 AM »

Let me put it like this......I'm a better drummer than Lars Ulrich, and i can't play the drums.
ANOTHER MORONIC GETBIGGER.......YOU ARE UNREAL!!!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 07:48:55 AM »
You're exaggerating a bit there 7.
YES.......SEVEN HAS JUST SHOWN WHAT A FOOL HE REALLY IS.......FORTRESS HAS SOME SERIOUS COMPETITION.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 07:50:59 AM »
He wasn't saying Buddy wasn't a great drummer, just the fact that amongst certain circles...you can't "be better than Buddy".  I would agree with that. There are many today who I feel are more versed and better even.  I was just laughing at putting Ulrich and Rich in the same category of great.  Lars can barely play a double stroke roll.
I NEVER SAID THAT BUDDY WAS THE ABSOLUTE BEST......I SAID HE IS AMONG THE BEST......I HAD QUITE A LIST.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 08:12:43 AM »
I NEVER SAID THAT BUDDY WAS THE ABSOLUTE BEST......I SAID HE IS AMONG THE BEST......I HAD QUITE A LIST.
FOR THE UNFLASHY CROWD JUST FOR PURE DRUMMING FOR THE BAND SOUND CHARLIE WATTS

littledumbells

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 08:21:33 AM »

You left out the multi millionaire pussy that whined about napster and limewire et al

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 09:54:19 AM »

No one beats the Professor in drums. 

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 09:58:14 AM »
RIP. He was incredible. Taken too young by the demons of rock and roll.
Toto, talented musicians!

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »
  You left out the multi millionaire pussy that whined about napster and limewire et al

Exactly.  Metallica actively encouraged bootleg tapes at concerts when they were starting out.  Then they get huge and lead the charge against filesharing???  fuck metallica.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 10:19:23 AM »
At 2:58 and 9:58 his sheer speed and chops are exemplified not to mention what he could do with one stick.  He had no double bass pedal yet got the double bass sound with one pedal.

One of the greats no doubt with Buddy Rich speed.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »
At 2:58 and 9:58 his sheer speed and chops are exemplified not to mention what he could do with one stick.  He had no double bass pedal yet got the double bass sound with one pedal.

BONZO WAS A BEAST BIG SOUND 5 PIECE KIT,OVERSIZED BASS DRUM ,SONG REMAINS THE SAME IS PINNACLE ZEP POWER SOUND ,LATER ON 79 RIGHT BEFORE HE DIED THEY DID KNEBWORTH FESTIVAL ,PLANT/PAGE TRIM AND DRESSED SHARP,JONES WAS WELL JONES,BONHAM WAS FAT AND LOOKED TERRIBLE.THEY STILL SOUNDED STRONG THO LIKE A GREAT COMEBACK TO DOMINANCE BAND WITH IN THROUTH THE OUT DOOR OUT AND READY TO TOUR,,THEN BONZO :  :'(   

RIP...

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02:41 AM »
At 2:58 and 9:58 his sheer speed and chops are exemplified not to mention what he could do with one stick.  He had no double bass pedal yet got the double bass sound with one pedal.

Just a monster....nobody "hit" the drums harder then him 8)

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »
FOR THE UNFLASHY CROWD JUST FOR PURE DRUMMING FOR THE BAND SOUND CHARLIE WATTS
yes....steverino......you are right......charlie is bad ass!!!!

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »
YES.......SEVEN HAS JUST SHOWN WHAT A FOOL HE REALLY IS.......FORTRESS HAS SOME SERIOUS COMPETITION.

Ease up on the Caps lock, have your mom explain to you what a "joke" is.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2013, 12:38:24 PM »
i love the scene in taxi driver.....where the street drummer is hollering about gene krupa and chick webb.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »
Ease up on the Caps lock, have your mom explain to you what a "joke" is.
YOUR MOM IS GOING TO WONDER WHY I GAVE YOU SEVEN SHOTS TO YOUR DOME......

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »
The fact is that it is simply your opinion versus mine. I opine that Rich is the best. Your retort that surely someone somewhere is better.

We agree to disagree, since neither of us can prove our point with any degree of veracity.

Statistically speaking, the odds weigh in your favor since an infinite number of monkeys on an infinite number of drumsets over an infinite amount of time will eventually produce a solo better than anything Buddy has ever done.

I just don't think we've seen that monkey yet.

I would also ask you to produce a video, or article, where one drummer claims he is better than Rich ever was, and that that claimants peer group support his assertion. I think you'll be hard pressed to find that, but I'm open minded.

I've been drumming for over 20 years. There are thousands of great accomplished drummers and I appreciate them all and all have something to teach. But I just can't imagine anyone being more influential or groundbreaking than Rich, today. He was too far ahead of his time and laid a foundation to inspire drummers for a century.

I'll grant you your claim about "legend" though...it does get crazy. But, with all the video evidence of his exploits, it's not like it's hard to back much of it up.

Over to you.

I would never state so-and-so is the BEST drummer, as I haven't heard every drummer. And even if I had, well, again, how can anyone assess an individual player's bucket of chops and determine these equate to a better overall bucket of chops than the next guy's? Within reason, a highly accomplished player enters a class where better-than-him arguments become subjective.  

I have never heard a drummer state that he believes he is better than Buddy. Certainly any basher who would couldn't actually be. Such ignorance and pomposity almost guarantees this individual couldn't genuinely be a world-beater in the skins department. I mean, I guess it's possible, but ... unlikely. True greatness usually doesn't boast in such a way.

I agree that Buddy's influence and impact on the world of drumming is profound and HUGE. And the man's talent is guaranteed to be forever revered.    

In general, I don't think we're as far apart in opinion as you might imagine.

There really cannot ever be a "best" when it comes to something as subjectively-assessed as musicianship. There is simply too much criteria to consider.

What one can state, however, is his favourite player.