Author Topic: Ventura wins $1.8M from Chris Kyles estate  (Read 25819 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Ventura wins $1.8M from Chris Kyles estate
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2014, 07:23:22 PM »
If he COULD sue, then what is your problem with it?  Do you even have one or just whining for no reason.  SHOULD he sue?  If he were the average person I would say no.  But he is/was a famous public person and someone attempting to generate book sales over an (supposingly) imaginary fight that never occurred based on his name and public awareness of who he is should be sued. 

If the average person wrote a book about themselves, it wouldn't generate much interest outside of their friends and immediate family.  If that person claimed he whipped Mike Tyson, then more people would want to read it and their name recognition would increase.  Doesn't matter if the proceeds goes to charity.  They shouldn't be allowed to lie at the expense of another person's name, reputation and character.

In this case, the jury obviously felt the fight story was a lie and judged accordingly.

I just explained why he shouldn't have done it.  Doing something just because you can is an infantile way of thinking.  Smart people know when to pick their battles, and the really smart ones pick very few.   

A lot of this is about class, discretion, good judgment, etc.  Sometimes you have to possess those qualities to understand how they are implemented in real life. 

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2014, 07:25:52 PM »
If he COULD sue, then what is your problem with it?  Do you even have one or just whining for no reason.  SHOULD he sue?  If he were the average person I would say no.  But he is/was a famous public person and someone attempting to generate book sales over an (supposingly) imaginary fight that never occurred based on his name and public awareness of who he is should be sued. 

If the average person wrote a book about themselves, it wouldn't generate much interest outside of their friends and immediate family.  If that person claimed he whipped Mike Tyson, then more people would want to read it and their name recognition would increase.  Doesn't matter if the proceeds goes to charity.  They shouldn't be allowed to lie at the expense of another person's name, reputation and character.

In this case, the jury obviously felt the fight story was a lie and judged accordingly.

You continue to say the fight was imaginary, so all the witness's are lying?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2014, 07:26:58 PM »
I just explained why he shouldn't have done it.  Doing something just because you can is an infantile way of thinking.  Smart people know when to pick their battles, and the really smart ones pick very few.   

A lot of this is about class, discretion, good judgment, etc.  Sometimes you have to possess those qualities to understand how they are implemented in real life. 

If it is about class, discretion, good judgment, and being a smart person... then obviously a person with those traits would not be a LIAR would they?

Just because someone did do it and now they are dead and the money is going to charity, that is an infantile way of justifying their actions.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »
You continue to say the fight was imaginary, so all the witness's are lying?

Ventura, a former governor and professional wrestler, testified the incident never happened.
Kyle insisted in testimony videotaped before he was slain last year that it did.

Both sides put witnesses on the stand during the two-week trial that backed their version of events.

The jury obviously believed Ventura's case that the fight never happened. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2014, 07:29:40 PM »
Jury instructions were not about whether or not a fight occured

I have more faith in Ventura, look how he ran his campaign and the state of Minnesota. He's proven his character.  All I know about Kyle is that he's killed tons of people.

Kyle seems like a shit talker who tried to cash in on a fight he shouldn't have been bragging about.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2014, 07:32:25 PM »
If it is about class, discretion, good judgment, and being a smart person... then obviously a person with those traits would not be a LIAR would they?

Just because someone did do it and now they are dead and the money is going to charity, that is an infantile way of justifying their actions.

You were just talking about Ventura and whether he had the "right" to do this.  I've explained to you that he the right, but shouldn't have exercised it.  Now you're trying to tie it to whether Kyle should have "lied."  You are all over the place.  

Your second sentence is incomprehensible.  Nobody is trying to justify Kyle's actions.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 07:34:39 PM »
From what I am getting out of the testimony is that the fact that the fight took place doesn't seem to be disputed, many witness's. The fact that it ended up in his book and made Janos look like an asshole is apparently this issue.

Correct. 

"U.S. District Judge Richard Kyle, who is not related to the author, told jurors they weren’t charged with determining whether Ventura was punched, but rather whether he was defamed by the remarks Kyle attributed to him."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/07/29/jury-awards-ventura-1-8-in-defamation-case-against-deceased-american-sniper-chris-kyles-estate/

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2014, 07:40:41 PM »
You were just talking about Ventura and whether he had the "right" to do this.  I've explained to you that he the right, but shouldn't have exercised it.  Now you're trying to tie it to whether Kyle should have "lied."  You are all over the place.  

Your second sentence is incomprehensible.  Nobody is trying to justify Kyle's actions.  

I would think someone lying about you to their benefit would be all the reason you need to exercise the right to sue.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »
I have more faith in Ventura, look how he ran his campaign and the state of Minnesota. He's proven his character.  All I know about Kyle is that he's killed tons of people.

Kyle seems like a shit talker who tried to cash in on a fight he shouldn't have been bragging about.

How did he cash in if all of the net proceeds went to the families of service members killed in action?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2014, 07:49:56 PM »
I would think someone lying about you to their benefit would be all the reason you need to exercise the right to sue.

Dude.  I'm not saying he didn't have the right to sue, but I'm just repeating myself. . . .

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2014, 07:59:26 PM »
Agree.  And all of the money from the book proceeds went to the families of two deceased service members.

Good job Jesse.   ::)

No it didn't.  She received over 3 million dollars from that book...one that's based on a lie.  Jesse has every right to file suit against the estate especially if they are profiting off of it...doesn't matter where the money goes
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2014, 08:03:18 PM »

No it didn't.  She received over 3 million dollars from that book...one that's based on a lie.  Jesse has every right to file suit against the estate especially if they are profiting off of it...doesn't matter where the money goes

Where you getting this information? 

Here is what I read:

DeFelice said Kyle donated his royalties to the families of two Navy Seals, Marc Lee and Ryan Job, who fought alongside him in a 2006 battle that led to their deaths.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/02/03/4596644/sheriff-navy-seal-and-friend-shot.html#storylink=cpy

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2014, 08:32:19 PM »
No, because he sued a hero LIAR because he hurt his pride. It's douchey.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2014, 08:35:41 PM »

Roger... hes made a career lying ablut his service.

He was never a SEAL. Ever. He was UDT (underwater demolition team). He went through BUD/s, but not all the rest of training and then the combat that SEALs go through, in fact, several of his stories were proven bullshit by SEALs that served 'with' him in Vietnam.

Dude lies. And hes a successful politician, which should automatically tell you something as well.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2014, 08:38:09 PM »

How is it everyone is so quick to call kyle a liar but the PROVEN LIES ventura built his career on people ignore or gloss over?

Go do some digging on veterans sites about Venturas history as a SEAL 'hunting people' ( oh brother).

You wont like what you find.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »
Roger... hes made a career lying ablut his service.

He was never a SEAL. Ever. He was UDT (underwater demolition team). He went through BUD/s, but not all the rest of training and then the combat that SEALs go through, in fact, several of his stories were proven bullshit by SEALs that served 'with' him in Vietnam.

Dude lies. And hes a successful politician, which should automatically tell you something as well.

I hope you're wrong, but I definitely trust your judgement on it. I've always liked Jesse, and am a big fan of his as a politician.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Ventura#Navy_SEAL_background_controversy
Navy SEAL background controversy

Bill Salisbury, an attorney in San Diego and a former Navy SEAL officer, has accused Ventura of "pretending" to be a SEAL. He wrote that Ventura would be blurring an important distinction by claiming to be a SEAL when he was actually a frogman with the UDT. Compared to SEAL teams, UDTs saw less combat and took fewer casualties.[15][115]

Ventura has often implied that he was a SEAL, but has never stated it categorically. Bill Sainsbury described Ventura's Navy training thus:

[Ventura] took a screening test at boot camp to qualify for...Basic Underwater Demolition/seal (buds/s) training...Those who completed bud/s, when [Ventura] was in training, were sent to either a seal or an underwater demolition team. Graduation did not, however, authorize the trainee to call himself a seal or a udt frogman. He had to first successfully complete a six-month probationary period in the Teams.[116]

Although Ventura underwent UDT training, he never attempted the additional 26-week SEAL Qualification Training. On completion of his BUD/S training, Ventura was assigned to a UDT team. In 1983, eight years after Ventura left the Navy, the UDTs were disbanded and those operators were retrained and retasked as SEALs.[115]

Some argue that since Ventura's BUD/S training was common to UDTs and SEALs, and the work of UDTs and SEALs was similar, he is entitled to call himself a SEAL in all but name, but others disagree and hold the view expressed by Bill Salisbury.

Responding to the controversy, Governor Ventura's office confirmed that Ventura was a member of the UDT. His spokesman stated that Ventura has never tried to convince people otherwise.[15] Ventura stated, "Today we refer to all of us as SEALs, that's all it is", and dismissed the accusations of lying about being a SEAL as "much ado about nothing".[115]

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2014, 09:43:20 PM »
I hope you're wrong, but I definitely trust your judgement on it. I've always liked Jesse, and am a big fan of his as a politician.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Ventura#Navy_SEAL_background_controversy
Navy SEAL background controversy

Bill Salisbury, an attorney in San Diego and a former Navy SEAL officer, has accused Ventura of "pretending" to be a SEAL. He wrote that Ventura would be blurring an important distinction by claiming to be a SEAL when he was actually a frogman with the UDT. Compared to SEAL teams, UDTs saw less combat and took fewer casualties.[15][115]

Ventura has often implied that he was a SEAL, but has never stated it categorically. Bill Sainsbury described Ventura's Navy training thus:

[Ventura] took a screening test at boot camp to qualify for...Basic Underwater Demolition/seal (buds/s) training...Those who completed bud/s, when [Ventura] was in training, were sent to either a seal or an underwater demolition team. Graduation did not, however, authorize the trainee to call himself a seal or a udt frogman. He had to first successfully complete a six-month probationary period in the Teams.[116]

Although Ventura underwent UDT training, he never attempted the additional 26-week SEAL Qualification Training. On completion of his BUD/S training, Ventura was assigned to a UDT team. In 1983, eight years after Ventura left the Navy, the UDTs were disbanded and those operators were retrained and retasked as SEALs.[115]

Some argue that since Ventura's BUD/S training was common to UDTs and SEALs, and the work of UDTs and SEALs was similar, he is entitled to call himself a SEAL in all but name, but others disagree and hold the view expressed by Bill Salisbury.

Responding to the controversy, Governor Ventura's office confirmed that Ventura was a member of the UDT. His spokesman stated that Ventura has never tried to convince people otherwise.[15] Ventura stated, "Today we refer to all of us as SEALs, that's all it is", and dismissed the accusations of lying about being a SEAL as "much ado about nothing".[115]
Its funny that when directly called out, his "team" claims he never said it, but he talked about 'hunting' humans and being on SEAL missions all the time.

A couple vietnam SEALs made it their mission to expose him

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2014, 09:44:23 PM »
Its funny that when directly called out, his "team" claims he never said it, but he talked about 'hunting' humans and being on SEAL missions all the time.

A couple vietnam SEALs made it their mission to expose him

Major disappointment... thanks a lot!!  >:( >:( >:( ;D

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2014, 12:27:18 AM »
Jesse probably needs the money.

If this altercation really did take place, where were all the fools recording video while holding their phones the wrong way and yelling "worldstarhiphop"?  That's what I want to know.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2014, 03:47:26 AM »
Where you getting this information? 

Here is what I read:

DeFelice said Kyle donated his royalties to the families of two Navy Seals, Marc Lee and Ryan Job, who fought alongside him in a 2006 battle that led to their deaths.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/02/03/4596644/sheriff-navy-seal-and-friend-shot.html#storylink=cpy

All in the court transcripts.  That's why the jury awarded Ventura 1.8 million.  Regardless of what you think of him...Chris Kyle told a whopper of a story and profited off it.  Him dying doesn't change a thing as the estate is still collecting money from that lie
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2014, 04:03:18 AM »

All in the court transcripts.  That's why the jury awarded Ventura 1.8 million.  Regardless of what you think of him...Chris Kyle told a whopper of a story and profited off it.  Him dying doesn't change a thing as the estate is still collecting money from that lie

Ventura may have won a court judgment but his rep now is totally destroyed

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2014, 05:50:43 AM »
congratulations!
w

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2014, 05:51:13 AM »

Ventura may have won a court judgment but his rep now is totally destroyed
so is yours and it hasn't stopped us from playing with you.
w

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2014, 06:00:11 AM »

What lie? Did Janos get punched, witness's to the incident say yes. What is in dispute is what he said to piss Kyle off enough to hit him. Now from past performance it would surprise me one bit that Janos was running off at the mouth. Hell he has made a career of doing it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2014, 06:04:49 AM »
What lie? Did Janos get punched, witness's to the incident say yes. What is in dispute is what he said to piss Kyle off enough to hit him. Now from past performance it would surprise me one bit that Janos was running off at the mouth. Hell he has made a career of doing it.

According to the testimony from the article that I posted, Jesse (and his witness's  testified under oath that it never happened.

Of course the other side testified the opposite.