Author Topic: Ventura wins $1.8M from Chris Kyles estate  (Read 25818 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Ventura wins $1.8M from Chris Kyles estate
« Reply #225 on: August 08, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »
What I find most intriguing is that members of the SEAL community (like Ventura was so quick to always throw in with) don't do this kind of shit to each other. It's interesting that he was so quick to go after the same community that he tried to say he was so upset from being made to look bad in...

Thats what makes me scratch my head... he had to have known that the SEAL community would just completely turn their back on him when he went after Kyle, his estate, or his family (however you want to look at it). If he cared so much about them and respected them like they do each other he never would have done this.. he would have gone TO the SEAL community and tried to repair the breach, not make it 100x worse. And it also leads credence to the rumor that he's ran himself into the ground, and is hurting for money because he's basically fucked up every bridge he's ever had.

Agree.  If he really was a SEAL, it would have never escalated this much. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #226 on: August 10, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »
I mentioned several things about Ventura, including him acting like a butt-hurt sissy, the classless nature of pursuing a widow--much less the widow of an American patriot, the book proceeds being paid to family members as reported in the article I posted, and the fact this was only a few paragraphs in a book that didn't even name him.  The article you posted contradicted the article I posted on the issue of where the book proceeds were going.  Big friggin deal.  Whether all or a portion of the proceeds are going to two other families of fallen service members or just to the family of this particular service member, Ventura is still trying to take money from the family of a deceased service member.  Kyles' wife and kids have lost decades of earned income with the death of their husband and father.  Ventura is a world class douchebag.  But my views on this are stated in this thread (and not just in the portions you selectively quoted). 

We have houses essentially on stilts too.  I passed a guy yesterday who was erecting a rock wall in front of his house.  A little late in the game.  Also, people act a fool whenever we have hurricane or tsunami threats.  Hoarding.  Price gouging.  Gas lines.     

Don't forget the ones who put duct tape over their windows because it is "supposed" to make the windows impact resisting to hurricane winds.  Or that put empty buckets outside to catch water in should the storm damage city plants or wells.  Which the only thing that happens is the wind normally picks up the buckets and throws it through their *impact resistance* duct tape windows.

Shit, why did I spend over $53K replacing all the glass in my house with hurricane glass if all I needed was $10 in duct tape?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2015, 07:53:51 AM »
The world class douche bag is at it again. 

Jesse Ventura, Former Navy SEAL, Won't See 'American Sniper' ... And Here's Why
Thursday, 29 Jan 2015
By Newsmax Wires

Don't expect to see Jesse Ventura, the former Minnesota governor and Navy SEAL, lining up with everyone else at a theater to see the box office hit "American Sniper."

Ventura, who won $1.8 million in a defamation lawsuit last year against the estate of the late Chris Kyle, the SEAL protagonist of the movie, said on Wednesday he won't see the film partly because Kyle is no hero to him.

"A hero must be honorable, must have honor. And you can't have honor if you're a liar. There is no honor in lying," Ventura told The Associated Press from his winter home in Baja California, Mexico. He also noted that the movie isn't playing there.

Ventura also dismissed the movie as propaganda because it conveys the false idea that Iraq had something to do with the 9/11 attacks. "It's as authentic as 'Dirty Harry,'" he said, referring to fictional movie series starring Clint Eastwood, the director of "American Sniper."

Ventura testified Kyle fabricated a subchapter in his "American Sniper" book in which Kyle claimed he punched out a man, whom he later identified as Ventura, at a California bar in 2006 for allegedly saying the SEALs "deserve to lose a few" in Iraq. Ventura said it never happened.
News Update

The jury gave Ventura the legal vindication he craved. Publisher HarperCollins removed the passage from the best-seller, and it gets no mention in the movie. Kyle's estate has appealed. Ventura's separate lawsuit against HarperCollins remains pending.

The former wrestler is now working on the second season of his online-only political talk show "Off the Grid" at Ora.tv, which he records in Mexico, where he lives in a solar-powered home with a satellite Internet connection.

Ed Huddleston, a lawyer for Kyle's widow, Taya Kyle, said they won't comment on Ventura's remarks because the lawsuit is on appeal.

Kyle was killed in 2013 on a shooting range. The former Marine charged in his death goes on trial in Texas next month.

The "American Sniper" film has been a sensation at the box office and has earned more than $200 million domestically since it was released last month on Christmas day.

http://www.Newsmax.com/TheWire/jesse-ventura-american-sniper/2015/01/29/id/621372/#ixzz3QE5GV93G

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
Re: Ex-Minn. Gov. Jesse Ventura sues Navy SEAL Chris Kyle’s widow
« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2015, 10:34:36 AM »
You can't just automatically call this shameful. ::)  If Jesse didn't do this he needs to clear his name and there is nothing wrong with doing that. You don't just put a stop on this kind of shit because the person who accused you died.  Nowhere does that happen so I don't know what some of you are thinking.  It's not about going after Kyle's widow ::)  

I know several people made up their minds on the notion that Ventura did do this from DAY 1!!!! which in itself is pretty fucked up.

I don't have a problem with a person pushing a case forward to get at the truth either way.

We agree.  Bah!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #230 on: June 13, 2016, 12:52:07 PM »
*Applause*

Appeals court rejects $1.8M award to Jesse Ventura in 'American Sniper' case
Published June 13, 2016
Associated Press

Former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, left, and former Minnesota governor Jesse Ventura. (AP Photo/File)

MINNEAPOLIS –  A federal appeals court on Monday threw out $1.8 million in damages awarded to former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura, who said he was defamed by the late author Chris Kyle in the bestselling book "American Sniper."

The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals also sent a portion of the case -- Ventura's defamation claim -- back to the district court for a new trial, saying Ventura's attorneys made improper remarks and the trial court "clearly abused its discretion in denying a new trial."

Messages left with Ventura, his publicist and his attorney were not immediately returned Monday. An attorney for Kyle's estate had no comment and referred questions to publisher HarperCollins, which said it was reviewing the opinion and had no comment at this time.

Kyle is a former SEAL regarded as the deadliest sniper in U.S. military history with 160 confirmed kills. In his book "American Sniper," he wrote a subchapter called "Punching Out Scruff Face" in which he describes decking Ventura at a California bar in 2006 after Ventura made offensive comments about SEALs, including that the SEALs "deserve to lose a few" in Iraq.

Ventura, a former Underwater Demolition Teams/SEAL member and ex-pro wrestler, sued. He testified at trial that he never made the statements and that the confrontation never happened. He also said the book ruined his reputation in the tight-knit SEAL community.

Kyle, who was killed on a shooting range in 2013 by a troubled fellow veteran, gave sworn videotaped testimony before his death that his story was true. The case proceeded against his estate.

In 2014, a jury awarded Ventura $500,000 for defamation and $1.3 million for unjust enrichment. Kyle's widow, Taya Kyle, appealed, asking that the verdict be thrown out or that a new trial be ordered on First Amendment and other grounds. Ventura's lawyers, however, argued that jury got the verdict right.

In Monday's ruling, a three-judge appellate panel reversed the unjust-enrichment award, saying the theory of unjust-enrichment "enjoys no legal support under Minnesota law" and fails as a matter of law.

The majority of the judges also vacated the defamation award and sent that portion of the case back to court for a new trial.

The majority found that Ventura's attorneys improperly let the jury hear that publisher HarperCollins had an insurance policy to cover a defamation award and attorney fees. The majority said those comments prevented Kyle's estate from receiving a fair trial and that Ventura's attorneys deliberately referenced a "deep-pocket insurer" to try to influence the jury and enhance damages.

"From our review, these unsupported, improper, and prejudicial statements were not heat of the moment argument, but were strategic and calculated," the judges wrote.

The judges also wrote: "Ventura's counsel's closing remarks, in combination with the improper cross-examination of two witnesses about Kyle's insurance coverage, prevented Kyle from receiving a fair trial."

Judge Lavenski Smith dissented, saying Ventura's attorneys mentioned insurance coverage only after Taya Kyle testified she'd be responsible for damages. He noted that Ventura's attorneys argued Taya Kyle should not be allowed to "plead poverty if an insurance company is going to pick up the tab."

Smith said any error in allowing Ventura's counsel to ask about insurance was harmless and non-prejudicial. He also found that the $500,000 award for defamation was not excessive.

The hit movie based on Kyle's book did not depict the alleged incident.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/13/appeals-court-rejects-1-8m-award-to-jesse-ventura-in-american-sniper-case.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2017, 07:06:05 PM »
Still a douchebag. 

Jesse Ventura, Chris Kyle estate fight over legal bills in defamation case
By: The Associated Press,  February 27, 2017

MINNEAPOLIS — Former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura and the estate of "American Sniper" author Chris Kyle are fighting over legal bills that mounted during Ventura's defamation lawsuit.

Attorneys for Kyle's widow say Ventura lost his lawsuit and should reimburse the estate more than $37,300, including nearly $7,900 in trial transcript fees and $27,800 for a bond it was required to post, plus a few other expenses, the Star Tribune reported. Ventura's lawyer says the jury verdict was only partly reversed and that most of the bill isn't his responsibility.

An appeals court gave Ventura the option to return to federal court in St. Paul to retry the defamation suit. Ventura previously told the newspaper he'll seek a new trial.

The two sides have clashed in a long-running fight that erupted in 2012, after Chris Kyle — a retired Navy SEAL — published an autobiography.

Kyle wrote that in 2006 he punched a man he referred to as "Scruff Face" in a California bar for making derogatory remarks about SEALs, then-President George W. Bush and the Iraq war. In subsequent interviews with national media, Kyle said "Scruff Face" was Ventura, who served with the SEALs during the Vietnam War.

"American Sniper" became a bestseller and was subsequently turned into a movie, which didn't mention the Ventura incident.

Ventura sued Kyle over the book, saying the bar fight account was fabricated. Kyle was killed in an unrelated incident in 2013, but Ventura continued his suit against the Kyle estate. In 2014, Ventura won a $1.8 million verdict in a jury trial in U.S. District Court in St. Paul.

The Eighth Circuit overturned the ruling, saying the $1.3 million the jury awarded for "unjust enrichment" was an improper application of state law. It also vacated the $500,000 jury award to Ventura for defamation, saying the former governor's attorney was allowed to make an improper argument at trial.

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/jesse-ventura-chris-kyle-estate-fight-over-legal-bills-in-defamation-case

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #232 on: April 15, 2017, 01:30:45 PM »
Kyle lied about many things. He created this problem. End of story.

Ron Jeremy

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #233 on: April 15, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »
Kyle was a devastating sniper, surpassing the fabled Carlos Hatchcock in kills. Still, he was troubled and told many falsehoods (killing looters in New Orleans, etc.). Since he has passed, I wish Jesse would leave it alone. Be the better man.

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #234 on: April 15, 2017, 06:54:39 PM »
Kyle was a devastating sniper, surpassing the fabled Carlos Hatchcock in kills. Still, he was troubled and told many falsehoods (killing looters in New Orleans, etc.). Since he has passed, I wish Jesse would leave it alone. Be the better man.
I have nothing but respect for Kyle's service, he didn't need to embellish.

Hard to compare to Carlos, being that they were totally different enviroments. Carlos may have had the best field craft ever, and winning the Wimbledon Cup is proof of his marksmanship.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2017, 07:11:31 PM »
I have nothing but respect for Kyle's service, he didn't need to embellish.

Hard to compare to Carlos, being that they were totally different enviroments. Carlos may have had the best field craft ever, and winning the Wimbledon Cup is proof of his marksmanship.

::)

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #236 on: April 15, 2017, 08:33:25 PM »
::)
WTF are you rolling your eyes at? If Kyle made it through the 1st day of boot camp, he's done more than you. ::)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #237 on: April 25, 2017, 07:10:11 PM »
Real heroes don't lie.  Their accomplishments speak for themselves.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: June 26, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »
Still a world class douche bag.

Angry Jesse Ventura Turns on Fox Host Watters Over Chris Kyle Questions
By Jason Devaney   |   Monday, 26 Jun 2017

Former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura showed his testy side when a recent interview with a Fox News host turned to a sensitive topic.

Jesse Watters, the host of "Watters' World" and a co-host of "The Five," caught up with Ventura at a recent marijuana convention in New York City. Ventura had given a speech about legalizing the drug.

Watters threw a few questions about Ventura's thoughts on marijuana before switching gears and asking about the lawsuit Ventura filed against the widow of Chris Kyle, a former Navy SEAL who was murdered in 2013. Kyle wrote in his book that Ventura was causing trouble in a San Diego bar and Kyle punched him in the face.

Ventura has denied the fight ever happened and sued Kyle for defamation. After Kyle's death, Ventura sued Kyle's widow Taya and was eventually awarded $1.8 million, a decision that was later overturned. Ventura is still pushing for legal action.

"Were you high when you sued Chris Kyle's widow?" Watters asked.

"Was I high? That's [an expletive] question and I expect it from someone at Fox. No," a clearly irritated Ventura said.

"No it ain't [a serious question]. No it ain't, 'cause I never sued the widow. I sued him."

Watters then pointed out that Taya Kyle is "suffering a lot of pain" due to Ventura's continued pursuit of legal action.

SPECIAL: Lose Weight With Apple Cider Vinegar
Learn More
"No, she isn't. Insurance pays for it all," Ventura said. "She hasn't paid one cent. How do I know it? It's my case. The case got overturned because the truth came out. Insurance is paying for all of it. It isn't costing his family a cent. That's the way legal works if you do your homework."

Ventura then said Taya Kyle "should apologize to me for the lie that her husband told about me."

Chris Kyle is known as the deadliest sniper in U.S. history with around 160 confirmed kills. His 2012 book "American Sniper" chronicled his life as a Navy SEAL marksman.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/jesse-ventura-jesse-watters-fox-chris-kyle/2017/06/26/id/798324/