Author Topic: Split Routines vs. Whole-Body Routines: IFBB Hall of Famer Leroy Colbert speaks  (Read 2409 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Most of us started bodybuilding/weighlifting, doing the old-school training three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), as a beginner routine.

I did that for about a year, before I split my routines up, as recommended by the late Mike Mentzer in an old Muscle & Fitness magazine from 1989.

It wasn't until 1994, when I simplified my splits to where it was upper body on Monday and Thursdsay and legs on Tuesday and Friday.

However, IFBB Hall of Famer Leroy Colbert (the man credited as the first to build 21" arms) says that people should STILL train their whole body and rest the next day, citing split routines as more suited for steroid users.

I don't necessarily agree with him on this one; but, I thought it an interesting take.

jwb

• Getbig V
Day 1: Full Body

Day 2: Rest

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Rest

Repeat

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
Whatever. Plenty of people grow just fine using multisplit routines. Those who don't either do something fundamentally wrong or they have crap genetics and should pick a new hobby. Or use drugs.

Any decent routine will work, as long as you are consistent and generate some effort in the gym.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Don't a lot of natural BB'ers these days do some very general splits?  Something like upper body 1 day, rest for a day or two  and then do lower body? 

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Genetics, Consistency, and Drug use trump all this horseshit.

Any decently thought out program, plus time under the bar will equal something nice.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
I train lower body with one set of squats to failure in May and upper body with one set of nautilus pullovers to failure, plus 3 forced reps and a 10 sec negative (legs overpower upper body) in December.  I've never been bigger
Y

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
Don't a lot of natural BB'ers these days do some very general splits?  Something like upper body 1 day, rest for a day or two  and then do lower body? 

Some do. Many don't. Makes fuck all of a difference if you bust your ass in the gym. As a natural you will make steady gains on any decent routine the first 2-3 years (if you don't.... see my first post). After that things dramatically slow down and you will soon be maxed out in terms of lean mass (strength can be a bit different). No routine, no diet will help you get past your natural limit. Only hormones.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
Day 1: Full Body

Day 2: Rest

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Rest

Repeat

Agree - seems also to be better on the joints.