Author Topic: How delusional can a Democrat be? Democrats don't want border security  (Read 572 times)

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
After the U.S. Senate voted to pass the motion to proceed to floor debate on the “Gang of Eight” immigration bill, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) claimed that this bill would solve illegal immigration and secure the border.
“Illegal immigration will be a thing of the past,” Schumer said on the Senate floor, celebrating the passage of the motion to proceed.  

Schumer complained in an impassioned and lengthy speech on the Senate floor that opponents saying the bill does not have border security “is not fair.” Schumer said giving billions of dollars to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will lead to increased border security, even if illegal immigrants are given amnesty first. He promised that assurances of future border security measures would be maintained.

Nonetheless, Schumer admitted the bill “is not perfect.” He pleaded with other senators, “If you have a better idea" on how to secure the border "tell us." Though Sens. John Cornyn (R-TX) and Rand Paul (R-KY) have offered outlines of amendments that would improve the border security provisions in the bill, Schumer did not say he would support them.

Schumer said the Gang of Eight would not compromise by conditioning the path to citizenship on “factors that may not ever happen” like border security. He complained that border security should not be used as a “bargaining chip.”

And while Schumer claims the bill fixes enforcement issues, he also dismissed border security as not a pressing concern.

“We don't have a problem whereby these people [illegal immigrants] are besieging us with terrorist acts,” Schumer said.

Schumer also said he has been to the border with other Gang of Eight senators and said, “it’s huge.”

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/06/11/Schumer-makes-impassioned-plea-that-immigration-bill-solves-illegal-immigration-secures-the-border

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: How delusional and out of touch can a Democrat be? This delusional:
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:05:06 AM »
These are same scumbags who promises ponies and unicorns w the stim bill, DeathCare, etc

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:04:43 AM »
These are same scumbags who promises ponies and unicorns w the stim bill, DeathCare, etc
Exactly.

It was the same promise made during the Reagan years and they didn't secure the border then.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 08:19:04 AM »
HEHEHEHEHE!!

Already Reid preventing any amendments to the bill in order to secure the border. Promises were made in order for the bill to even reach the floor, but once it's there the Demotwats want to ram it through without working with the GOP. Reminds me of crapcare. 

On Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) blocked a vote on the border security amendment to the “Gang of Eight” immigration bill offered by Senate Judiciary Committee ranking member Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA).

Grassley was pushing for an up-or-down vote by the Senate on his amendment, which would have required the border to be secured for six full months before any legalization of illegal immigrants in America began. Reid objected to Grassley’s motion, effectively implementing a 60-vote threshold that completely blocked any attempt at a fair vote on the amendment.

Grassley protested Reid’s plan, which the Senate Majority Leader laughed off. “I’m somewhat surprised at this request,” Reid said in response. “How many times have we heard the Republican Leader say on this floor and publicly that the new reality in the United States Senate is 60?"

So I just thought I was following the direction of the Republican Leader. I mean, this is what he said. That’s why we’re having 60 votes on virtually everything. And with this bill, with this bill, no one can in any way suggest this bill is not important and these amendments aren’t important. So, I care a great deal about my friend, the ranking member on this committee, but I object.

Grassley responded with fury to Reid’s obstruction. “Well, it’s amazing to me that the majority has touted this immigration bill process as one that is open and regular order, but right out of the box, just on the third day, they want to subject our amendments to a filibuster like a 60-vote threshold.”

“So I have to ask, who is obstructing now?" Grassley said. "There is no reason, particularly in this first week, at the beginning of the process, to be blocking our amendments with a 60-vote margin that’s required when you suppose there is a filibuster.”

Grassley said the Senate should “at least start out” the immigration process with “regular order.”

“Otherwise, it really looks like the fix is in and the bill is rigged to pass basically as it is,” Grassley said. “Bottom line, you should have seen how the 18 members of the Judiciary Committee operated for five or six days over a two-week period of time."

"Everything was open, everything was transparent," he explained. "There was a complete cooperation between the majority and the minority, and there is no reason why we can’t do that out here in the United States Senate right now and particularly at the beginning."

"This is a very provocative act,” Grassley warned.

Grassley was not the only senator who expressed dissatisfaction with the process Reid was using on the Senate floor. Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), who voted in favor of the bill coming out of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said during a floor speech that he is concerned votes on his amendments will be blocked as well.

“I was promised by leaders in the Gang of Eight they would work with me, that they would help me to get these things done,” Hatch said. “I consider those promises to be very important, and yet I’ve had some indication over the last few days that maybe they’re not going to work with me."

"I don’t think anybody’s acted in better good faith than I have," Hatch claimed. "As I’ve said, I’d like to support the bill, and make no mistake about it, I don’t want people stiffing me on things I consider to be important without even talking, without even working with me to resolve any problems they may have. And, I’m not the kind of guy who takes that lightly.”

Hatch went on to say he thinks there is “too much partisanship around here anyway.”

“If this is going to be a political exercise, count me out,” Hatch said. “If this is an exercise to really try and resolve the amnesty issues, if it’s an exercise to really really try and resolve these critical issues, I can be counted in."

"Maybe I don’t mean that much in this debate, but if you look at some of the major sections of this bill, I helped work them out and I’ll help work out this bill not only with colleagues on this side but with colleagues on the other side of Capitol Hill. And I don’t want to be stiffed at this time and I’m not the kind of guy who takes stiffing lightly,” Hatch warned.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Rubio, McCain, Boehner, etc can all rot in hell

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Rubio, McCain, Boehner, etc can all rot in hell

Rubio is looking more and more like a jackass.

Look at this:

At times conservatives have interpreted Rubio’s remarks to mean that he supports putting new border security measures in place before the initial legalization. He doesn’t, and he emphasized that in the weekend Spanish-language interview with Univision. “Let’s be clear,” Rubio said. “Nobody is talking about preventing the legalization. The legalization is going to happen. That means the following will happen: First comes the legalization. Then come the measures to secure the border. And then comes the process of permanent residence.”

Just to emphasize the point, Rubio stressed that the initial legalization is not conditional on border security. “The legalization is not conditional,” he said. Rubio’s statements were an entirely accurate description of what is in the Gang of Eight bill.

With Hannity Wednesday, Rubio explained that he once favored border security before legalization. “When I initially got involved in this effort in December of last year, I initially said let’s make sure everything, including that first step, is conditioned on the border and all these other things,” Rubio said. “Here’s the problem with that: Let’s say that it takes four years to do the border plan. What do we do with the millions of people that are here illegally in the meantime? Do we just ignore them?”

“Second,” Rubio said, “we need funding to pay for all these border improvements, and the way you get it is from the fines that these folks are going to have to pay.”

Hannity seemed skeptical. “Why wouldn’t it be better to just secure the border first totally and then move forward with dealing with the 11 million people or so that are in the country illegally?”

“That’s how I felt at the beginning, too,” Rubio answered, “The problem I encountered is what do I do in the meantime — ”

“How about nothing?” Hannity interjected.

Rubio again explained that he believes the issue of the 11 million has to be addressed first.

The two men did not come to what could be called a complete agreement. Toward the end of the interview, Hannity returned to Rubio’s statement on Univision. “You understand that people read the interview, those of us that didn’t speak Spanish, and it was interpreted as first comes legalization, then comes secure the border, that legalization is not conditional. I think you would then understand why people thought this.”

“Right,” Rubio said. “So maybe, I probably should have been more artful in the use of terms.”

http://washingtonexaminer.com/marco-rubio-i-should-have-been-more-artful-in-immigration-remarks/article/2531760

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I have never trusted Rubio  - he is the Hispanic Obama - full of shit and spin and lies

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Rubio is a Hispanic politician from Florida.  He isn't going to alienate the people who voted for him.  I doubt he really gives a shit about immigration other than what supporting amnesty  can do for his political career.
A

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Have any of u guys considered that no one in the Senate, Democrat or Republican, actually wants immigration reform? Cheap labor is a great thing. Various big business interests, who actually matter, love cheap labor.

You think the agri-business and meat packing intersts in Grassley's Iowa want an end to open borders? No way. It'll drive the cost of doing business through the roof. And now that the Chinese have Smithfield there's no way they want this. Who do you think works in those meat packing plants for low wages & no benefits? The Chinese don't care if we become North Mexico.

And my investment banker neighbors? They don't want to pay $100 for a car wash or $1K a week to get their lawn taken care of, which is what it would cost if these Mexicans got living wages and benefits. 

Not only have I considered, I've said it here several times.
A

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
So? How does that make him any different from any other politician? Politics is a business and the ambitious ones are always maneuvering for higher office, more power, etc. 

That was my point.  He's looking out for his interests.  As a Hispanic politician from Florida he has to support or at least give lip service to supporting immigration reform in order to secure the support of the large Hispanic population in Florida.
A

Necrosis

• Getbig V
I have never trusted Rubio  - he is the Hispanic Obama - full of shit and spin and lies

no no, you are racist hence your dislike for anyone not white.