Author Topic: Story about Menzter  (Read 7137 times)

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
Story about Menzter
« on: June 12, 2013, 03:16:46 PM »
taken from another forum:

"O.K. here's my worthless Mentzer story. I had to wait to post this because I had to get some of the story right from the horse's mouth. So some of this is first hand, and some second.

I'm not going to repeat some the info I got as this thread would go nuclear. So here goes.

One of my good friends use to own a gym in Matteson Illinois, which is about 45 minutes south of Chicago. This had no association with Mekulys Gym in Chicago Heights which is where I workded out.

He use to attend the Olympia and Universe contests back in the later seventies and early eighties. He also use to go out to Santa Barbara California now and then.

He was in California in 84/85 I believe he said when he ran into Mike Mentzer working out on the beach. He waited until he was done working out and went over and started B.S.ing with him. He said him and his brother Ray were really nice guys and would talk about anything.

So he asks Mentzer if he would be interested in doing a Seminar for his gym. He arranged it at the Holiday Inn on Halsted St in Harvey, Illinois. Mentzer said o.k. Give me a call.

So my buddy calls him up, sets the date and pays for his hotel, flights, the whole thing. Everything was a go, and he sells a ton of tickets. Mentzer comes into town. My buddy went and picked him up at the airport and had quite a conversation with him before the seminar. Mentzer spoke for about an hour and a half at the seminar. He was not in contest shape, so was not interested in posing.

It was no secret that Mentzer could not stand Arnold. He made it clear that he thought Arnold was a big Weider kiss azz, which he was. Mentzer was the type of guy who kissed nobody's azz. Probabaly the reason he never really got the recognition he deserved.

Just look at the 1980 Olympia where Arnold made his comeback and won. Sorry, he was still big, but just look at the pics. No way he should have won that title. Zane smashed his trophy on the floor, and him and Coe were livid.

Anyway, Mentzer pulled no punches at this seminar. He openly discussed steroids, how he cycled on them and what he took. Wish there was a video cameras back then, he said some crazy azz sheet about some other bodybuilders. Maybe is was B.S., but he didn't seem like a story teller.

There were also rumours circulating around at the time of his death. He was allegedly starting to make a comeback with his brother Ray. I remember hearing stories ( and maybe they were ) that he had taken the wrong combination of stuff and it killed him. That's probably B.S. There were also rumours that he had severe depression and he commited suicide...LIke I say, these were just rumours that went around, and not my opinon at all. "

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Story about Menzter
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 03:24:55 PM »
So? What did he take and how much?  ;D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 03:37:38 PM »
Mentzer was very smart,I trained with him at Gold's Venice once, he drove a old car and was very humble. The 1980 Olympia crushed him after that he got on speed.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
So? What did he take and how much?  ;D
liver tablets what else

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 03:46:56 PM »
The most widely circulated rumor that I remember about Mentzer was that he was heavily into drugs like speed and cocaine.
As for him making a comeback near the time of his death, if you see some of the last videos he did he looked like a wreck, hunched and out of shape.

Great bodybuilder though both him and his brother Ray (Ray was very strong in his prime).

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
  He was a cool guy

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »
Here I was waiting for a story about Mike Mentzer and after reading there was none. I think he was using speed while he was competing to be a productive genius as he referred to himself. He even wrote about his use.

LanceD

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »
Mike's secret was Hoffman's super gain weight tabs, the green ones, not drugs.
He was very sensitive, we played chess and if he lost, he would miss about a weeks worth of workouts.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 09:09:34 PM »
  He was a cool guy

agreed, but not as cool as AJ

99 Bananas

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 09:26:05 PM »
No Mentzer story is complete without his dislike for Arnold being mentioned. Arnold must have been a demon as a competitor. Mentzer's best work is his Nantucket Nautilus video. I guarantee Mentzer would have been a member of the getbig website.

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 10:34:49 PM »

"O.K. here's my worthless Mentzer story. I had to wait to post this because I had to get some of the story right from the horse's mouth. So some of this is first hand, and some second.

I'm not going to repeat some the info I got as this thread would go nuclear. So here goes.

One of my good friends use to own a gym in Matteson Illinois, which is about 45 minutes south of Chicago. This had no association with Mekulys Gym in Chicago Heights which is where I workded out.

He use to attend the Olympia and Universe contests back in the later seventies and early eighties. He also use to go out to Santa Barbara California now and then.

He was in California in 84/85 I believe he said when he ran into Mike Mentzer working out on the beach. He waited until he was done working out and went over and started B.S.ing with him. He said him and his brother Ray were really nice guys and would talk about anything.

So he asks Mentzer if he would be interested in doing a Seminar for his gym. He arranged it at the Holiday Inn on Halsted St in Harvey, Illinois. Mentzer said o.k. Give me a call.

So my buddy calls him up, sets the date and pays for his hotel, flights, the whole thing. Everything was a go, and he sells a ton of tickets. Mentzer comes into town. My buddy went and picked him up at the airport and had quite a conversation with him before the seminar. Mentzer spoke for about an hour and a half at the seminar. He was not in contest shape, so was not interested in posing.

It was no secret that Mentzer could not stand Arnold. He made it clear that he thought Arnold was a big Weider kiss azz, which he was. Mentzer was the type of guy who kissed nobody's azz. Probabaly the reason he never really got the recognition he deserved.

Just look at the 1980 Olympia where Arnold made his comeback and won. Sorry, he was still big, but just look at the pics. No way he should have won that title. Zane smashed his trophy on the floor, and him and Coe were livid.

Anyway, Mentzer pulled no punches at this seminar. He openly discussed steroids, how he cycled on them and what he took. Wish there was a video cameras back then, he said some crazy azz sheet about some other bodybuilders. Maybe is was B.S., but he didn't seem like a story teller.

There were also rumours circulating around at the time of his death. He was allegedly starting to make a comeback with his brother Ray. I remember hearing stories ( and maybe they were ) that he had taken the wrong combination of stuff and it killed him. That's probably B.S. There were also rumours that he had severe depression and he commited suicide...LIke I say, these were just rumours that went around, and not my opinon at all. "

So when do we get to the story?

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »
The most widely circulated rumor that I remember about Mentzer was that he was heavily into drugs like speed and cocaine.
As for him making a comeback near the time of his death, if you see some of the last videos he did he looked like a wreck, hunched and out of shape.

Great bodybuilder though both him and his brother Ray (Ray was very strong in his prime).

The 1st sentence prob covers 85% of bodybuilders from that era.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 10:56:40 PM »
Arnold is a wizard!!!

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 02:36:55 AM »
So when do we get to the story?

No shit.   This is the worst "story" I ever saw.  It could have read....

My friend ran into Mike Mentzer once and had him give a seminar.  The end.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 04:03:00 AM »
Mike and Arnold weren't at war at the end. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/valinter.htm

Frank Clairmonte

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM KAI GREENE #BELIEVE
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 04:50:29 AM »

Zane part is not true. Stop spreading this B.S. :-X

btw your story sucks.

LanceD

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 07:49:39 AM »
Mike's secret was Hoffman's super gain weight tabs, the green ones, not drugs.
He was very sensitive, we played chess and if he lost, he would miss about a weeks worth of workouts.

no kidding about the chess.

anyway, Mike was an introvert if you knew him.  You cannot imagine how many bodybuilders lead double lives, in Mike's case he was a quiet intelligent man.  Imagine what it took for him to get on a bodybuilding stage and be judged.  This was part of his weakness, everyone thought Mike was an extravert, not the case.
Once his life went public, he hid within himself and finally had no one and no where to go, we know what happened next.
He was a cool man, private, sensitive, in other words weak in many ways.  pip Mike.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 08:32:02 AM »
Here I was waiting for a story about Mike Mentzer and after reading there was none. I think he was using speed while he was competing to be a productive genius as he referred to himself. He even wrote about his use.

X2

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »
no kidding about the chess.

anyway, Mike was an introvert if you knew him.  You cannot imagine how many bodybuilders lead double lives, in Mike's case he was a quiet intelligent man.  Imagine what it took for him to get on a bodybuilding stage and be judged.  This was part of his weakness, everyone thought Mike was an extravert, not the case.
Once his life went public, he hid within himself and finally had no one and no where to go, we know what happened next.
He was a cool man, private, sensitive, in other words weak in many ways.  pip Mike.
True I spoke to him many times and trained with him once. He said once "you don't need to go out to bars on Saturday nights just stay in and read".

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »
True I spoke to him many times and trained with him once. He said once "you don't need to go out to bars on Saturday nights just stay in and read".

True story

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »

No shit.   This is the worst "story" I ever saw.  It could have read....

My friend ran into Mike Mentzer once and had him give a seminar.  The end.

There's  a lot stories about Mike that he wont repeat cause this thread could go NUCLEAR ..... and since the Mike die 12 years ago, neither will I.

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 01:51:25 PM »
Straight FAG move to pull shit "like I know l the good stories, gossip and truth, but I can't tell.." if u really knew shit, and respected the guy u wouldn't say anything rather than be a bitch and now guys speculate things 100 times worse than what u "knew."

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »
No Mentzer story is complete without his dislike for Arnold being mentioned. Arnold must have been a demon as a competitor. Mentzer's best work is his Nantucket Nautilus video. I guarantee Mentzer would have been a member of the getbig website.

looks small was this his size when competing?