Author Topic: What kind of bicycle should I get?  (Read 2852 times)

Mclovin

• Getbig III
What kind of bicycle should I get?
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:00:42 AM »
I want to buy a bike to ride around town but not sure what I should get. I will mostly be on roads but probably some rougher surfaces from time to time. I don't want something really expensive but also don't want a piece of junk either...I was thinking probably in the 350 to 500 range. Anyone have any suggestions?

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
Re: What kind of bicycle should I get?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »
i bought a $200 bike

it's really shit

would not do again

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:31:17 AM »
I have a Specialized Hard Rock. Great all round bike. Mine is six years old and still going strong. They go for $600-700.

Mclovin

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »
Anyone know if Jamis bikes are any good?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »
I have a Specialized Hard Rock. Great all round bike. Mine is six years old and still going strong. They go for $600-700.
Had one of those. Solid bike. Got a Gary Fisher, now. Also good. Pay a few bucks and get a better bike than a low-end one...then take good care of it. Last you as long as you want it to. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »
One with no brakes ;D

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »
I have a Beach Cruiser.  IT was $200, then I put wider handlebars and a new seat on it.  Not for commuting anywhere but to the bars at the beach, or to the park, but if that's what you are looking for, just get a Sun Cruiser.

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
I recently picked up a Rocky Mountain, a Vertex.  Very happy with the purchase; it's a dream to ride.  Will set you back a few grand, but you can pick up a used for quite a bit cheaper.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »
I want to buy a bike to ride around town but not sure what I should get. I will mostly be on roads but probably some rougher surfaces from time to time. I don't want something really expensive but also don't want a piece of junk either...I was thinking probably in the 350 to 500 range. Anyone have any suggestions?

I bought a Trek 3000 and have had it for 5 years no problems at all.  Go on back trails, single track, streets, you name it.

Was like $300 and still going strong. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »
You don't want a road bike with high pressure super skinny tires since you want to ride  rougher surfaces from time to time. A mountain bike will do the trick but since you're on the road most of the time those fat knobby tires will slow you down. Just get a hybrid from a major bike seller like Trek or Cannondale. You can get fantastic workouts on it and have fun. The draw back is if you have friends with true road bikes you will never be able to keep up with them. I ride a hybrid but almost all of my riding is by myself. I'm working as hard as I did when I owned true road bikes but I'm not going that fast. I can live with that trade off so I can have a bike that's good on the road and in the dirt.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »
You don't want a road bike with high pressure super skinny tires since you want to ride  rougher surfaces from time to time. A mountain bike will do the trick but since you're on the road most of the time those fat knobby tires will slow you down. Just get a hybrid from a major bike seller like Trek or Cannondale. You can get fantastic workouts on it and having fun. The draw back is if you have friends with true road bikes you will never be able to keep up with them. I ride a hybrid but almost all of my riding is by myself. I'm working as hard as I did when I owned true road bikes but I'm not going that fast. I can live with that trade off so I can have a bike that's good on the road and in the dirt.

This.

I had a Trek, got stolen. Just brought a single speed hybrid for 250.00 love it. Great workout too.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 12:18:01 PM »
Got my Kona off craigslist for about 1/3 the price of new.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/3_series

5 years going strong and only thing I changed was the break pads.  

Been on tough trails like Sprain Ridge, Blue mountain, Grahm Hills, etc too

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 12:24:21 PM »
by used. I bought a trek 800 for $50 off of a craiglist type of site, paid $10 for the wifes schwinn.

Mclovin

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »
This.

I had a Trek, got stolen. Just brought a single speed hybrid for 250.00 love it. Great workout too.
I was actually looking at some single speeds. Aren't hills a pain in the ass though? I live in an area with a lot of hills.

ukjeff

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »

Eat on the go.

the trainer

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »

One with a dildo as the seat so you can pleasure yourself while riding it.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 02:07:35 PM »

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »
if you go to Amsterdam you can pretty much pick up any pick of you liking , they have about a billion bicycle on the streets 98% of them are not even locked up

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 02:31:54 PM »
You don't want a road bike with high pressure super skinny tires since you want to ride  rougher surfaces from time to time. A mountain bike will do the trick but since you're on the road most of the time those fat knobby tires will slow you down. Just get a hybrid from a major bike seller like Trek or Cannondale. You can get fantastic workouts on it and have fun. The draw back is if you have friends with true road bikes you will never be able to keep up with them. I ride a hybrid but almost all of my riding is by myself. I'm working as hard as I did when I owned true road bikes but I'm not going that fast. I can live with that trade off so I can have a bike that's good on the road and in the dirt.

Specialized makes a nice hybrid, as well. The top pic, Specialized Sirrius, is what I would get if I were to go that route. What I like better about Mountain Bikes is the beefier front end. I deal with a lot of potholes and the shocks come in handy. I'm okay with giving up some speed. The bottom pic is what I have.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 02:45:18 PM »

save your money to get a car one day instead

you must eat the pussies of whores

do you even lift?
K

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
I have a Trek 3.1 I love it. Never an issue. Wife has a Giant, no issue with it either.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
I have a 2012 Specialized Sirrus Comp flat bar road bike.   Love it!

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »

A hybrid from Trek
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/

or

Cannondale (if you want to spend more)
http://www.cannondale.com/

Bah!