Author Topic: Honey  (Read 3101 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Honey
« on: June 18, 2013, 01:39:03 PM »
Does honey lose its health/allergy benefits if you drink it in really hot tea? ???

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Honey
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »
Does honey lose its health/allergy benefits if you drink it in really hot tea? ???

I don't think so, BUT not all honey is created equal.  The stuff you generally get at a regular store is a bastardized version of the real thing, so you're not getting much, if any, real benefit.
:

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 11:10:28 PM »
I don't think so, BUT not all honey is created equal.  The stuff you generally get at a regular store is a bastardized version of the real thing, so you're not getting much, if any, real benefit.

Oh yeah, I'm buying this dark local stuff now.  Comes from a farm that's within 4 or 5 miles.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:55:10 AM »
Oh yeah, I'm buying this dark local stuff now.  Comes from a farm that's within 4 or 5 miles.

Try some chicken eggs, too, if you haven't already...and raw milk!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 10:45:14 AM »

I think the darker it is, the more pollen it has in it (which is good).  What is the primary nectar?  It's amazing the taste difference depending on what the bees are eating.  Right now, i have some orange blossom honey from Florida, some blueberry blossom honey from Michigan and some local clover honey.  Blueberry blossom sounds like it'd be tasty, but I don't like it.  :-\  Too 'earthy', perfume-y tasting.
:

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »

Try some chicken eggs, too, if you haven't already...and raw milk!!

Good idea, I plan to get some eggs.  I see them advertised all over out in the country.  My mom use to get them when I was a kid. 

I've had good beef and chicken.  Don't know about Raw milk though...  :o

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 04:46:07 PM »
I think the darker it is, the more pollen it has in it (which is good).  What is the primary nectar?  It's amazing the taste difference depending on what the bees are eating.  Right now, i have some orange blossom honey from Florida, some blueberry blossom honey from Michigan and some local clover honey.  Blueberry blossom sounds like it'd be tasty, but I don't like it.  :-\  Too 'earthy', perfume-y tasting.

I never even thought to check... I'm going to now thanks

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 06:25:25 PM »
As a kid, my grandfather used to have orange groves and honey bees.  Looking back, I never appreciated the fresh OJ and honey since the oranges weren't "orange" and the honey wasn't crystal clear ::)
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »
Don't know about Raw milk though...  :o

As with most things, you'll find some debate over this, but...

http://www.westonaprice.org/

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »

As with most things, you'll find some debate over this, but...

http://www.westonaprice.org/

Thanks,  I do find it fucked up that so many people have been prosecuted over Raw Milk.  I hate government

I'll look into it. 

jadenmiller

• Getbig I
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 09:32:25 PM »
I don't think so, honey is a great immunity system builder. You can take in shake of milk and eggs.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 09:14:56 AM »
Try eating a honey comb for the purest form, a bit waxie but good. Honey sold to the general public is a blend of different honeys. If buying something labeled "organic" honey, your wasting your money (actually most any thing labeled 'organic" is not).  Going out to buy honey from the bee keepers or roadside stand might be the best bet. Old folk medicine is to treat open non healing wounds with honey/honey combs. People still do this, because of the enzymes values. Got this stuff from two friends who works at Whole Foods.

Lifters (mostly the old timers), as well as all around athletes,  use honey during workouts and before events. Use to have honey, milk, banana and dry milk powder mixed in a blender. Sometime added raw dates (another great source of pure food and energy). Honey, dates and a banana..almost wonder foods.
F

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »
My stomach aches after eating honey, even the "natural" minimally processed kind.  Anybody experience this?
A

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »
Try eating a honey comb for the purest form, a bit waxie but good. Honey sold to the general public is a blend of different honeys. If buying something labeled "organic" honey, your wasting your money (actually most any thing labeled 'organic" is not).  Going out to buy honey from the bee keepers or roadside stand might be the best bet. Old folk medicine is to treat open non healing wounds with honey/honey combs. People still do this, because of the enzymes values. Got this stuff from two friends who works at Whole Foods.

Lifters (mostly the old timers), as well as all around athletes,  use honey during workouts and before events. Use to have honey, milk, banana and dry milk powder mixed in a blender. Sometime added raw dates (another great source of pure food and energy). Honey, dates and a banana..almost wonder foods.

I believe that Steve Reeves wrote about a homemade blend in which he used honey, gelatin, and lemon juice among other ingredients.