Author Topic: House Votes To Cut Food Stamps By $2 Billion  (Read 7535 times)

Schmoff

• Getbig V
House Votes To Cut Food Stamps By $2 Billion
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:39:10 PM »
http://www.lex18.com/news/house-votes-to-cut-food-stamps-by-2-billion/

WASHINGTON (AP) - The House voted on Wednesday to cut food stamps by $2 billion a year as part of a wide-ranging farm bill.

The chamber rejected 234-188 a Democratic amendment to the five-year, half-trillion-dollar farm legislation that would have maintained current spending on food stamps, now called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP. The overall bill cuts the $80 billion-a-year program by about 3 percent and makes it harder for some people to qualify.

The food stamp cuts have complicated passage of the bill and its farm-state supporters were working to secure votes Wednesday. Many conservatives have said the food stamp cuts do not go far enough since the program has doubled in cost in the last five years and now feeds 1 in 7 Americans. Liberals have argued against any reductions, contending the House plan could take as many as 2 million needy recipients off the rolls. The White House has threatened a veto over the food stamp cuts.

The amendment by Rep. Jim McGovern, D-Mass., and other Democrats would have eliminated the SNAP cuts and taken the money from farm subsidies instead.

"It's too big, it's too harsh and it's going to hurt so many people," McGovern said of the food aid cuts.

Other amendments chipped away at the program. The House adopted by voice vote an amendment to require drug tests for SNAP recipients, angering Democrats who said the tests would be demeaning to people who apply for the food aid. Lawmakers also adopted by voice vote an amendment that would end a 2004 U.S.-Mexico agreement to educate Mexican-Americans about food stamps. More amendments are expected to try and scale back the program.

Also complicating passage is growing Republican opposition to farm subsidies, some of which are expanded under the bill. Republicans have proposed amendments that would cut back dairy and sugar supports that could turn lawmakers from certain regions of the country against the bill if they were to succeed.

The House is scheduled to continue voting on 103 amendments to the bill Thursday with a vote on passage possibly next week. As of Wednesday, it was unclear if Republicans had enough votes.

In an effort to push the legislation through, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said last week that he would vote for it, while making it clear that he did not really like it. He said he wants to get the bill to House and Senate negotiators for a potential deal, and that passing the bill was better than doing nothing.

The legislation would cut around $4 billion a year in overall spending on farm and nutrition programs. The Senate passed its version of the farm bill last week, with about $2.4 billion a year in overall cuts and a $400 million annual decrease in the SNAP program - about a fifth of the amount of the House food stamp cuts.

Democratic leaders have said they will wait to see how the House votes on the many amendments, but have so far signaled opposition to the measure. Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi of California argued against the food stamp cuts on the floor Wednesday and was a "likely no" on the bill, according to an aide. No. 2 House Democrat Steny Hoyer of Maryland called the food stamp cuts "irresponsible."

The chairman of the House Agriculture Committee, Rep. Frank Lucas, R-Okla., told colleagues that a robust farm policy was necessary to avoid farm crises like those in the 1930s and 1980s.

"I will work with all of you to improve this draft," he said Tuesday. "I ask you to work with me."

The legislation would achieve some of the food stamp cuts by partially eliminating what is called categorical eligibility, or giving people automatic food stamp benefits when they sign up for certain other programs. The bill would end a practice in some states of giving low-income people as little as $1 a year in home heating assistance, even when they don't have heating bills, in order to make them eligible for increased food stamp benefits.

Lucas said the cuts would still allow people who qualify to apply for food stamps, they just wouldn't automatically get them.

The Oklahoma Republican has called the overall legislation the "most reform-minded bill in decades" because it would make needed cuts to food stamps and eliminate $5 billion a year in direct payments, subsidies that are paid to farmers whether they grow or not. The bill would expand crop insurance and makes it easier for rice and peanut farmers to collect subsidies.

The bill also sets policy for international food aid abroad, which is currently shipped from U.S. farms. The House rejected an amendment to shift around half of international food aid money to more flexible accounts that allow for cash purchases abroad.

The Obama administration has proposed shifting the way the food aid is distributed, saying it would be more efficient to make purchases closer to conflict areas.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
Re: House Votes To Cut Food Stamps By $2 Billion
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:44:15 PM »
"It's too big, it's too harsh and it's going to hurt so many people," McGovern said of the food aid cuts.

it's going to hurt a lot of kids.  stupid fucks!  ::)

even 3rd world countries don't cut their food programs to the poor.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:57:52 PM »
"POor" are generally black single mother, who literraly "lay" children, so that don't disturb me much more.
It's time for black ppl to put the word "responsability" in their vocabulary.
asstropin

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:02:49 PM »
Why not cut food stamps and farm subsidies? ???

» Although politicians love to discuss the plight of small farmers, the vast majority of farm subsidies go to the largest farms. In recent years, the biggest 10 percent of farm businesses have received 72 percent of farm subsidies, according to the Environmental Working Group.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »
  NO one should be hungry in the USA

reppingfor20

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
the house is filled with many gopers n tea party brain dead idiots they vote many things senate just doesnt pass their stupid bills think of it like a f grade student turning his work into teach only to be somehow suprised he got another f rejected !   ;D
TEAM Nasser

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 09:05:38 PM »
Here is an interesting question. Do you guys think that if it was a requirement to do 5 hours a month of volunteer work to get food stamps, would a lot of people do that or just not get the food stamps?  I feel if they truly needed them they would.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 09:06:57 PM »
By the way... It's really annoying to constantly be in line at the grocery behind black women (who always walk slow trying to hold someone up) who are dressed in expensive name brand clothing, that pay with their Food Stamp card.  

You then follow them out and they're driving an M Class Mercedes.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 09:07:36 PM »
Here is an interesting question. Do you guys think that if it was a requirement to do 5 hours a month of volunteer work to get food stamps, would a lot of people do that or just not get the food stamps?  I feel if they truly needed them they would.

Something simple like this would weed out the abusers real quick.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 09:07:54 PM »
  How about every one do five hours per month       we owe it to our country    just like I say we should all serve at some point    

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 09:08:38 PM »
 :D ;D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »
the house is filled with many gopers n tea party brain dead idiots they vote many things senate just doesnt pass their stupid bills think of it like a f grade student turning his work into teach only to be somehow suprised he got another f rejected !   ;D

Says the homo from the party with the least amount of commonsense.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 09:22:58 PM »
  NO one should be hungry in this World period

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 09:24:26 PM »
By the way... It's really annoying to constantly be in line at the grocery behind black women (who always walk slow trying to hold someone up) who are dressed in expensive name brand clothing, that pay with their Food Stamp card.  

You then follow them out and they're driving an M Class Mercedes.

Happens to me all the time. I can pick em out before they even pull the card out. I'm there with just a few items paying cash I worked hard to earn, and the EBT user has their cart full, usually of junk, and out comes the card.  ::)  one day I should just say "you're welcome!"

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 09:32:06 PM »
Its going to effect kids.    
A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »
Happens to me all the time. I can pick em out before they even pull the card out. I'm there with just a few items paying cash I worked hard to earn, and the EBT user has their cart full, usually of junk, and out comes the card.  ::)  one day I should just say "you're welcome!"

I'm seriously relieved to know that this shit doesn't just happen to me!!!  ;D

Have you noticed the black people walking/driving slow thing?  I swear these people try to make me late.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 09:35:37 PM »
Its going to effect kids.    

Just up the dosage abortions.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »
If it keeps them inside and out of the way, I'd rather just give most of them the food stamps. Instead of the 5 hours of month volunteer work, how about to get food stamps, they can only be outside of their apartment/house 1 hour a day?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 09:38:12 PM »
I'm seriously relieved to know that this shit doesn't just happen to me!!!  ;D

Have you noticed the black people walking/driving slow thing?  I swear these people try to make me late.

Luckily here in the pacific nw we don't have huge numbers of blacks. I noticed they are bad drivers and drive shitty cars. And I think the reason for walking slow is they just want to "chill". Not in a hurry when you don't have a job.

reppingfor20

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »
nothing wrong with making anyone that is on govt help who comes into the hospital for free sterile for the rest of their life.
TEAM Nasser

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 10:13:48 PM »
How many people on ebt do you think are fraudulently stealing from the system?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 10:25:58 PM »
nothing wrong with making anyone that is on govt help who comes into the hospital for free sterile for the rest of their life.

X2. Heaven forbid these americano whores wait until marriage to have sex.

theredeemer

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 02:31:24 AM »

it's going to hurt a lot of kids.  stupid fucks!  ::)

even 3rd world countries don't cut their food programs to the poor.

Obama loves the poor you stupid fuk.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 04:08:59 AM »
The food stamp program has exploded under Obama. So has people getting a check for life through social security disability. Unemployment checks for years under him? Suddenly they find the majority find some kind of job once their unemployment runs out. Free money for farmers is a massive welfare waste. Many "farmers" it's their profit money. In other words they make no money from farming.

If you haven't heard the US funds is running a massive negative cash flow every year. The only way we survive is through loans from countries like China. Bury your head in the sand and kick the can down the road thinking who cares? When it all comes crashing down like Greece or Spain you will see poverty on a scale like you have never seen. When the Republicans try to reign in spending the Democrats say, see what scum bags they are. Don't worry Democrats. There will be basically a one party system soon where the only choice will which Democrat you want instead of Republicans vs Democrats. That's when this country will fail because there isn't enough workers paying taxes to make this country work for the takers.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 04:23:55 AM »
but the black ppl could just grow watermelons in their gardens and hunt chicken ;D

Lol.