Author Topic: My New Gym - Brickyard Gym  (Read 50199 times)

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Re: My New Gym - Brickyard Gym
« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2016, 04:29:49 AM »
That is pretty f'n cool!
thanks.  now lets see that start popping up everwhere people copying haha!  The Flex leg press is being covered in walking dead comix..and the Hammer piece is being covered in thor comix.  Get it?

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #201 on: May 08, 2016, 09:32:18 AM »
 I just read this whole thread on and off the past few hours while doing some house stuff.

Awesome gym and really inspires my own workouts when I see threads like this and good on that member who has lost 80olbs and kept it off
"

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2016, 10:50:51 AM »
What a great gym. Wish we had one out here.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2016, 12:50:30 PM »
What a great gym. Wish we had one out here.
just like u coach we are expanding soon. Engineers doing site plan. I have full lines of nebula, flex and bodymasters that I have stock piled over the years. Gonna be even more awesome! Always keeping that old school vibe.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2016, 12:52:49 PM »
I just read this whole thread on and off the past few hours while doing some house stuff.

Awesome gym and really inspires my own workouts when I see threads like this and good on that member who has lost 80olbs and kept it off
thanks muntz! I always say show me a genetically gifted athlete working out hard achieving in the gym and show me a not so athletically inclined person trying to get in shape or back in shape and it's the ungifted person struggling to better themselves that inspires me more.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2016, 01:50:01 PM »
Brickyard Gym.

Come train where the Champs train!

Massive Matt Vogel! Mr. Natural Eastern USA 2016. Mr. Natural Ohio 2016.

(that's Matt on the left in case you were wondering ;))

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #206 on: May 21, 2016, 01:53:34 PM »
As natural as a woman who can't cook a meal..

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #207 on: May 21, 2016, 03:12:26 PM »
Who cares if he's natty or not?

I dont get the people who care what others do, I guess its me... (Unless it's O'Hearn of course saying he's natty).
Maybe this guy does that?

Silk and his gym are awesome, getbiggers in their moms cellar ghey...

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #208 on: May 21, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »
Who cares if he's natty or not?

Well, this automatically happens when someone claims to be a natty.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #209 on: May 28, 2016, 11:20:37 AM »
This guy is very smart when it comes to the equipment in his gym.

Equipment from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's was FAR superior to any equipment available today.

I work out at a large YMCA that has a four full circuits of equipment from different eras and everyone uses the oldest line the most (Pro series 1 same as Silk has which is just HIGH TECH designs that life fitness bought out).

The new stuff is just plain wrong from a user standpoint. The managers are tearing their hair out because of this and I keep telling them to get some refurbed original cybex or FLEX machines.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2016, 11:39:34 AM »

Equipment from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's was FAR superior to any equipment available today.

I work out at a large YMCA that has a four full circuits of equipment from different eras and everyone uses the oldest line the most (Pro series 1 same as Silk has which is just HIGH TECH designs that life fitness bought out).

The new stuff is just plain wrong from a user standpoint. The managers are tearing their hair out because of this and I keep telling them to get some refurbed original cybex or FLEX machines.

Damn, this is SO true! I see so many functional, design & quality mistakes in most lines, unbelievable. Hammer strength's plate-loaded line and the Freemotion adjustable pulley are some positive exceptions.

Smokincrazy

• Getbig IV
  • owned,meltdown,epic......
« Reply #211 on: May 28, 2016, 12:04:38 PM »
Slik I live about 30 mins away. CAnt wait to come to your gym

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2016, 09:25:22 PM »
Slik I live about 30 mins away. CAnt wait to come to your gym
cool let me know when u r coming. I have steps in place for a very big expansion soon as well.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2016, 09:34:27 PM »

most new equipment sux. I have entire lines of flex fitness, nebula, cybex and bodymasters stashed away awaiting expansion. I have a nebula vertical from decades ago so clean u could eat off it. That entire line is pristine. Also have a king vertical awaiting. So much I've  collected over the years. Interesting story about high tech. Was the owner developer named Danny?  It's been so many years I forgot. Back when I lived in LA in the 80s n 90s I met him. Ended up going to his small shop in LA where they made equipmet and they had a showroom of sorts. I bought all his stuff or most of it he had in his showroom at a discount. I had it Shipped back east. He was really doing some innovative stuff that no one was doing back then. Then I heard not long after, he sold his company and designs to life fitness. Here's the thing. The old High Tech stuff is so much better than the life fitness stuff. LF cheapened things up for sure.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #214 on: May 29, 2016, 10:51:51 AM »
most new equipment sux. I have entire lines of flex fitness, nebula, cybex and bodymasters stashed away awaiting expansion. I have a nebula vertical from decades ago so clean u could eat off it. That entire line is pristine. Also have a king vertical awaiting. So much I've  collected over the years. Interesting story about high tech. Was the owner developer named Danny?  It's been so many years I forgot. Back when I lived in LA in the 80s n 90s I met him. Ended up going to his small shop in LA where they made equipmet and they had a showroom of sorts. I bought all his stuff or most of it he had in his showroom at a discount. I had it Shipped back east. He was really doing some innovative stuff that no one was doing back then. Then I heard not long after, he sold his company and designs to life fitness. Here's the thing. The old High Tech stuff is so much better than the life fitness stuff. LF cheapened things up for sure.

it doesn't take 50 years to develop a  machine line that stimulates muscle while reducing injury.  that seems to have been accomplished by the turn of the century.   but the companies that did that became huge successes and became more concerned with profits than with function.  

as all the gym chains became full of their lines, their only way of generating sales was to re-invent the wheel, and convince gym owners that the new line is better.  since it isn't better they now had to expand their marketing dept., further increasing their need for new designs and more sales.

and the chains know that new members (their focus) like brand new equipment.  so they 'upgrade' to the new lines, even tho the older line may be more effective.  More effective at building muscle, but not more effective at generating new membership sales.

it is the same battle as in the golf industry.  they keep coming up with all these gimmick club changes to excite newbies into buying the magic bullet.  and marketing ends up taking on a bigger and bigger percent of the companies revenue. visual asthetics and bogus claims take over true function.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #215 on: May 29, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »

dickless people train here?
A

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #216 on: May 29, 2016, 11:57:46 AM »
most new equipment sux. I have entire lines of flex fitness, nebula, cybex and bodymasters stashed away awaiting expansion. I have a nebula vertical from decades ago so clean u could eat off it. That entire line is pristine. Also have a king vertical awaiting. So much I've  collected over the years. Interesting story about high tech. Was the owner developer named Danny?  It's been so many years I forgot. Back when I lived in LA in the 80s n 90s I met him. Ended up going to his small shop in LA where they made equipmet and they had a showroom of sorts. I bought all his stuff or most of it he had in his showroom at a discount. I had it Shipped back east. He was really doing some innovative stuff that no one was doing back then. Then I heard not long after, he sold his company and designs to life fitness. Here's the thing. The old High Tech stuff is so much better than the life fitness stuff. LF cheapened things up for sure.
Not sure what the guy's name was but HIGH TECH stuff was great equipment. The LIFE pro series one is still good stuff compared to modern Hoist and the others. Some of the old MAGNUM stuff was great and I always liked the PYRAMID stuff which was bought by TROTTER and called Galileo (the supported row was a good one).

I saw you got a AFS leg press which is an incredible piece.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #217 on: May 29, 2016, 06:07:14 PM »
Not sure what the guy's name was but HIGH TECH stuff was great equipment. The LIFE pro series one is still good stuff compared to modern Hoist and the others. Some of the old MAGNUM stuff was great and I always liked the PYRAMID stuff which was bought by TROTTER and called Galileo (the supported row was a good one).

I saw you got a AFS leg press which is an incredible piece.
i have 2 AFS the black one then the white one I got from Tom Platz which is signed. If we ever get the ability to post pix from a phone or at least iPhone I can post a lot more pix.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #218 on: May 29, 2016, 06:08:33 PM »

dickless people train here?
we let all train at BYG.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #219 on: May 29, 2016, 07:46:48 PM »
we let all train at BYG.
But you target dickless people?
A

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2016, 06:26:14 AM »
Zuverman is in the Pokemon game. People keep going to him and getting a food or energy ball or whatever at his feet. Pretty cool how they stuck him in there

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2016, 07:10:45 AM »
it doesn't take 50 years to develop a  machine line that stimulates muscle while reducing injury.  that seems to have been accomplished by the turn of the century.   but the companies that did that became huge successes and became more concerned with profits than with function.  

as all the gym chains became full of their lines, their only way of generating sales was to re-invent the wheel, and convince gym owners that the new line is better.  since it isn't better they now had to expand their marketing dept., further increasing their need for new designs and more sales.

and the chains know that new members (their focus) like brand new equipment.  so they 'upgrade' to the new lines, even tho the older line may be more effective.  More effective at building muscle, but not more effective at generating new membership sales.

it is the same battle as in the golf industry.  they keep coming up with all these gimmick club changes to excite newbies into buying the magic bullet.  and marketing ends up taking on a bigger and bigger percent of the companies revenue. visual asthetics and bogus claims take over true function.
;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »
;D
vb in the time machine headed back to the 1800's
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2016, 08:26:58 AM »
This topic has been here on GetBig since 2013 and I'm surprised I haven't seen it before!

And I have yet to read any of it past the 1st page but will read the entirety this afternoon when I get time to do so.

It was in the very early 1960's when I was stationed at Pendleton we;d drive up to  Reverend Robert Zuver's gym which was surprisingly in a residential area of Costa Mesa(?) and do some relatively light workouts among all that very heavy equipment.

And we also met RHINO who was very young but very active ln the gym.

Bob had created the very finest gym within he state of California and possibly even throughout the USA at that time and from the photos I glanced at ..... it appears that you are following suit.

SILIK ... what is your relationship to RHINO and when did the gym close down in Costa Masa?

I do recall that some of the gym members invited us to some unremembered function at the local tavern called L'il Abner's which was in the neighborhood.

Were you around at that time?

Will most likely have more stuff to ask you about once I read the entire topic.

Those were the good sold days of lifting heavy things. (George Frenn, Bill Peanuts West, Bednarski, Vince G,, Joe Gold, Larry Scott, Bill Pearl, John Corvello, and so darn many others!)

Thanks, Silk

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2016, 08:40:44 AM »
This topic has been here on GetBig since 2013 and I'm surprised I haven't seen it before!

And I have yet to read any of it past the 1st page but will read the entirety this afternoon when I get time to do so.

It was in the very early 1960's when I was stationed at Pendleton we;d drive up to  Reverend Robert Zuver's gym which was surprisingly in a residential area of Costa Mesa(?) and do some relatively light workouts among all that very heavy equipment.

And we also met RHINO who was very young but very active ln the gym.

Bob had created the very finest gym within he state of California and possibly even throughout the USA at that time and from the photos I glanced at ..... it appears that you are following suit.

SILIK ... what is your relationship to RHINO and when did the gym close down in Costa Masa?

I do recall that some of the gym members invited us to some unremembered function at the local tavern called L'il Abner's which was in the neighborhood.

Were you around at that time?

Will most likely have more stuff to ask you about once I read the entire topic.

Those were the good sold days of lifting heavy things. (George Frenn, Bill Peanuts West, Bednarski, Vince G,, Joe Gold, Larry Scott, Bill Pearl, John Corvello, and so darn many others!)

Thanks, Silk

Your memory is impeccable, you should really consider writing a book about your life, I would read it.
"