Author Topic: My New Gym - Brickyard Gym  (Read 50216 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: My New Gym - Brickyard Gym
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2016, 10:42:57 AM »
This topic has been here on GetBig since 2013 and I'm surprised I haven't seen it before!

And I have yet to read any of it past the 1st page but will read the entirety this afternoon when I get time to do so.

It was in the very early 1960's when I was stationed at Pendleton we;d drive up to  Reverend Robert Zuver's gym which was surprisingly in a residential area of Costa Mesa(?) and do some relatively light workouts among all that very heavy equipment.

And we also met RHINO who was very young but very active ln the gym.

Bob had created the very finest gym within he state of California and possibly even throughout the USA at that time and from the photos I glanced at ..... it appears that you are following suit.

SILIK ... what is your relationship to RHINO and when did the gym close down in Costa Masa?

I do recall that some of the gym members invited us to some unremembered function at the local tavern called L'il Abner's which was in the neighborhood.

Were you around at that time?

Will most likely have more stuff to ask you about once I read the entire topic.

Those were the good sold days of lifting heavy things. (George Frenn, Bill Peanuts West, Bednarski, Vince G,, Joe Gold, Larry Scott, Bill Pearl, John Corvello, and so darn many others!)

Thanks, Silk

rhino died young but bob zuver jr is still alive and well.
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »
FUNK, thanks for the update,

I was unaware of Rhino's passing and I have to assume that Bob Jr. was his younger brother.

That photo of him spotting seems to have been taken around the same year we were visiting Zuver's Gym in Costa Mesa.

I still have not had the opportunity to read this entire topic but I plan to do so within the hour.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #227 on: July 17, 2016, 12:13:29 PM »
NELSON, I was in the process of writing a book based upon my experiences within the world of lifting heavy things ... odd lifting (now called powerlifting), olympic lifting, bodybuilding, and just plain old physical fitness  and all the usual suspects and interesting individuals I've met within the game .... but something always came up forcing me to put it aside except fort he shit I write on this here GetBig Board.

And it was also hindered by the fact that I have always gotten confused regarding the dates of the  'important things' that I have personally witnessed in the past.

Or various info that has come from reliable sources other than this GetBig Board of course!

So with that in mind .... many years ago I contacted some well known individuals within the game/games and asked if they would be interested in  writing a book about all this inside/outside stuff starting with the early/mid 1940's ... but that game to a sudden stop with the death of one important individual and a warning from others who said that we just might not live to see it published.

And that last statement came from a very reliable source.

But I did help one well known individual get his 'book' published by proof reading it from cover to cover. We were hoping that he could help us do some writing about the early days when Hoffman and Weider and Dan Louri(?) were still young enough to chase the ladies, but he was the one who passed away as mentioned above.

But before he did pass away he told us some unbelievable stories about what really did happen way back then when lifting heavy things was still an infant in the playpen.

I only wish that he published his own book about those good old days as it was a damn interesting conversation.

Anyway.... thanks for the decent compliment.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2016, 12:32:19 PM »
NELSON, I was in the process of writing a book based upon my experiences within the world of lifting heavy things ... odd lifting (now called powerlifting), olympic lifting, bodybuilding, and just plain old physical fitness  and all the usual suspects and interesting individuals I've met within the game .... but something always came up forcing me to put it aside except fort he shit I write on this here GetBig Board.

And it was also hindered by the fact that I have always gotten confused regarding the dates of the  'important things' that I have personally witnessed in the past.

Or various info that has come from reliable sources other than this GetBig Board of course!

So with that in mind .... many years ago I contacted some well known individuals within the game/games and asked if they would be interested in  writing a book about all this inside/outside stuff starting with the early/mid 1940's ... but that game to a sudden stop with the death of one important individual and a warning from others who said that we just might not live to see it published.

And that last statement came from a very reliable source.

But I did help one well known individual get his 'book' published by proof reading it from cover to cover. We were hoping that he could help us do some writing about the early days when Hoffman and Weider and Dan Louri(?) were still young enough to chase the ladies, but he was the one who passed away as mentioned above.

But before he did pass away he told us some unbelievable stories about what really did happen way back then when lifting heavy things was still an infant in the playpen.

I only wish that he published his own book about those good old days as it was a damn interesting conversation.

Anyway.... thanks for the decent compliment.

dan and weider started off as business partners. as the story goes dan introduced weider to joe's first wife... both relationships went south.
F

rocco-x

• Getbig III
  • when all else fails just blame it on the "man"
« Reply #229 on: July 17, 2016, 12:35:56 PM »
Need a few in NYC. The Planet Shitness franchises are popping up like pizza places on every corner from chinatown to bumblefuck LI. Always wanted my own hardcore place.

My policy on chalk is if you don't look like pigpen from charlie brown then gtfo it ain't fer ya lil mary.

Silk best of luck brother. You're doing what most of us only think about.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #230 on: July 17, 2016, 01:38:11 PM »
Busy knocking down trees w a front end loader. Will be able to answer soon. Stunt I'll tell bob to log on. We r good friends.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2016, 01:43:41 PM »
dan and weider started off as business partners. as the story goes dan introduced weider to joe's first wife... both relationships went south.
joe and bob sr. were going into a partnership manufacturing fitness equipment. Then joe reneged or something.  Bob Jr. can explain.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: July 17, 2016, 05:37:54 PM »
Opens tomorrow.  I know...it's a shit hole right?

brickyardgym.net

F'n awesome gym. I'd love to train there!

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #233 on: July 17, 2016, 07:15:43 PM »
Thanks!!! I am so excited to expand spring of 2017!  Wait till u all see. We r clearing land within the next few weeks.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #234 on: July 18, 2016, 05:43:24 AM »
Thanks!!! I am so excited to expand spring of 2017!  Wait till u all see. We r clearing land within the next few weeks.

Great!!

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #235 on: July 18, 2016, 05:44:57 AM »

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #236 on: July 18, 2016, 07:06:26 AM »

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #237 on: July 18, 2016, 07:38:38 AM »
will tri 2 do better necks ⏱

At least your great looking gym SPEAKS for itself  ;)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #238 on: July 18, 2016, 10:28:03 AM »
FUNK, I was either unaware or have simply forgotten that Joe and Dan were associated in any capacity way back then.

In fact they were at great odds towards each other during the meeting that we held to decide if the NPC would elect to become associated with the IFBB

I forget the year but it was most likely the morning after Gary Leonard won the national title (Mr America?) that was promoted by Ken Sprague at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.

I don't know if there is anyone still alive except myself who attended that meeting but, looking back, it was an historical event at which the likes of the Hoffman group, Dan Laurie, and various Bodybuilding chairmen and officials from throughout the states gathered together to listen to a proposal that BEN Weider was going to deliver to all concerned.

Ben and Joe were the only individuals who showed up dressed in tailor made suits (blue blazer jackets?) while the majority of the rest of us showed up in sweatpants and t-shirts.

If I recall correctly most of those in attendance had no idea of what was going on but it was an official meeting and eventually Ben Weider took the stand and made a proposal something similar to the following.

"If the NPC would recognize the IFBB as the sole world governing body for competitive bodybuilding, the IFBB would recognize the NPC as the sole sanctioning body for amateur athletes within the US.

And the IFBB would cease the sanctioning of amateur bodybuilding events in the US but continue to sanction and promote professional bodybuilding events within the US as well as worldwide."

No other 'participant' came prepared to offer a counter proposal .... but needless to say .... there were numerous objections and accusations from the floor before we were able to proceed with the voting process.

One former Weider employee took the floor and politely accused Ben and Joe of setting up a number of PO Boxes in foreign countries and claiming that those countries/PO Boxes were official and valid IFBB organizations, but the only 'organization' was a little kid who emptied the PO box once each week.

And of course the Hoffman contingent objected loudly and Dan Laurie also offered some anti-Weider remarks.

But no once came with something better to offer and the vote determined that the NPC would accept the IFBB offer.

So less than half of those in attendance left the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium pretty damn pissed off that Sunday morning.

If any GetBigger other than myself attended this historical meeting, I'd like to hear what you have to say about this meeting and correct me in the event I have made any mistake regarding it.

OPPPS! Sorry SLICK and BOB bur Funk pushed my emory button and I got carried away with this response.

Sometimes that happens.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #239 on: July 18, 2016, 08:58:13 PM »
FUNK, I was either unaware or have simply forgotten that Joe and Dan were associated in any capacity way back then.

In fact they were at great odds towards each other during the meeting that we held to decide if the NPC would elect to become associated with the IFBB

I forget the year but it was most likely the morning after Gary Leonard won the national title (Mr America?) that was promoted by Ken Sprague at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.

I don't know if there is anyone still alive except myself who attended that meeting but, looking back, it was an historical event at which the likes of the Hoffman group, Dan Laurie, and various Bodybuilding chairmen and officials from throughout the states gathered together to listen to a proposal that BEN Weider was going to deliver to all concerned.

Ben and Joe were the only individuals who showed up dressed in tailor made suits (blue blazer jackets?) while the majority of the rest of us showed up in sweatpants and t-shirts.

If I recall correctly most of those in attendance had no idea of what was going on but it was an official meeting and eventually Ben Weider took the stand and made a proposal something similar to the following.

"If the NPC would recognize the IFBB as the sole world governing body for competitive bodybuilding, the IFBB would recognize the NPC as the sole sanctioning body for amateur athletes within the US.

And the IFBB would cease the sanctioning of amateur bodybuilding events in the US but continue to sanction and promote professional bodybuilding events within the US as well as worldwide."

No other 'participant' came prepared to offer a counter proposal .... but needless to say .... there were numerous objections and accusations from the floor before we were able to proceed with the voting process.

One former Weider employee took the floor and politely accused Ben and Joe of setting up a number of PO Boxes in foreign countries and claiming that those countries/PO Boxes were official and valid IFBB organizations, but the only 'organization' was a little kid who emptied the PO box once each week.

And of course the Hoffman contingent objected loudly and Dan Laurie also offered some anti-Weider remarks.

But no once came with something better to offer and the vote determined that the NPC would accept the IFBB offer.

So less than half of those in attendance left the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium pretty damn pissed off that Sunday morning.

If any GetBigger other than myself attended this historical meeting, I'd like to hear what you have to say about this meeting and correct me in the event I have made any mistake regarding it.

OPPPS! Sorry SLICK and BOB bur Funk pushed my emory button and I got carried away with this response.

Sometimes that happens.

my honor to have u talk history in the BYG thread!  How old are you now stunt?  Gary Leonard was cool. Saw him a few times in the old days of Venice golds. As I recall he drove a distance to work out there everyday.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #240 on: July 18, 2016, 10:30:09 PM »
Hey Stuntmovie.
How Old Were You When You Trained At ZUVER'S Gym???
Just Wondering.
Thanks
Robert Z.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #241 on: July 18, 2016, 10:35:47 PM »
joe and bob sr. were going into a partnership manufacturing fitness equipment. Then joe reneged or something.  Bob Jr. can explain.

We Just Wouldn't Let Joe Run The Zuver's Gym Equipment Show.
He Walked Away Pouting Like A Little Kid.
Oh Well.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #242 on: July 19, 2016, 08:21:43 AM »
Gyms should be disgusting places so only real ironaddicts feel compelled to train there, being the gym empty most of the time.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #243 on: July 19, 2016, 08:29:10 AM »
Gyms should be disgusting places so only real ironaddicts feel compelled to train there, being the gym empty most of the time.
actually if the gym is a place run by a guy who actually trains and knows everyones name and actually cares about their members it can be a great place. one such place was eskimo's gym in allentown pa run by george joseph. i think slik gives out this same vibe in his writings on here.
F

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #244 on: July 19, 2016, 09:12:25 AM »
hey Slik, I have been watching this Youtube series where Canadian Bodybuilder Ron Paltrow goes to different gyms around the world and they do tours with the owners etc, pretty cool series in my opinion. Would love to see you be able to do something with them.

here is the episode where they go to GetBig's own Tony Doherty's gym in Australia.

"

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #245 on: July 19, 2016, 10:10:14 AM »
BOB, I must have been in my very early 20's because I had a 300+ bench press around that time and could curl more than I can lift today.

Gary Leonard was a Fresno-ite around that time and maybe still is. The last time I communicated with Gary was shortly after he got lost and found in some California forest if I recall correctly.

That is a long drive down to Costa Mesa! (About 260 miles one way).

I've lost contact with Gary but a good friend (whom I've also lost contact with) by the name of Steve Dussia worked with Gary for a number of weeks helping him get prepared for the Mr. America (was it even called that back then)  and Gary thanked us for our help in winning but failed to mention that in a magazine article that appeared shortly after his win.

So he called me to apologize but neither of us considered it to be any sort of a problem. We were just glad that he won.

Now that he has been mentioned I'm planning on doing my best to re-contact him.

ANd this whole discussion reminds me of John Corvello who won the Mr Cal title around that time ... He beat Bill McArdle who was the favorite to win it as he had been training with Larry Scott.

Both Bill and Larry have passed away now (Bill at a very young age) but I do hope to hear that John is still doing well.

John was a Playboy model for a few years and the last I heard he was managing some expensive spa in the Ls Angeles basin.

I think I first met John through a mutual friend who was in the Corps back then.

I mention the above partially in the event that they may have visited ZUVER's Costa Mesa during those early years. Each was the kind of individual who enjoyed lifting heavy things and would have really enjoyed seeing what the Reverend accomplished.

And how about Bill Peanuts West and George Frenn?  The lived somewhere south of the LA Basin and did some serious lifting in some outdoor 'garage' if I recall correctly.

There are so many others I'd like to mention but most GetBiggers snooze off when I say big words words or write too much. And some GetBiggers might put a hate'en on most of those I  mention.

I hate it when the hate'en hastens , especially when the haters don't even know nor have ever met the hate'en. ( I think Steven King wrote that  someplace!)

I hate that guy! He writes too dam slow!

Great talking to you BOB! Can you please explain your relationship with the Reverend and Rhino and also Slick and when and why Zuver's closed down and what's there now and yada, yada, yada? This might have been mentioned earlier but I might have skipped over it during my very own snoozing session.

Also ... when did Zuver's Costa mesa originally open and when did it close and what did it cost to train there, etc., etc.

I think that those who lift heavy things today might be somewhat interested in how things used to be in this heavy heavy lifting business and some of the greats who started it all!

I wasn't a "great" but I witnessed a hell of a lot of  it!

Thanks again, Bob!

And SLICK also!

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #246 on: July 19, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »
BOB, I must have been in my very early 20's because I had a 300+ bench press around that time and could curl more than I can lift today.

Gary Leonard was a Fresno-ite around that time and maybe still is. The last time I communicated with Gary was shortly after he got lost and found in some California forest if I recall correctly.

That is a long drive down to Costa Mesa! (About 260 miles one way).

I've ost contact with Gary but a good friend (whom I've also lost contact with) by the name of Steve Dussia worked with Gary for a number of weeks helping him get prepared for the Mr. America (was it ever called that back then)  and Gary thanked us for our help in winning but failed to mention that in a magazine article that appeared shortly after his win.

So he called me to apologize but neither of us considered it to be any sort of a problem. We were just glad that he won.

Now that he has been mentioned Im planning on doing my best to re-contact him.

ANd this whole discussion reminds me of John Corvello who won the Mr Cal title around that time ... He beat Bill McArdle who was the favorite to win it as he had been training with Larry Scott.

Both Bill and Larry have passed away now (Bill at a very young age) but I do hope to hear that John is still doing well.

John was a Playboy model for a few years and the last I heard he was managing some expensive spa in the Ls Angeles basin.

I think I first met John through a mutual friend who was in the Corps back then.

I mention the above partially in the event that they may have visited ZUVER's Costa Mesa during those early years. Each was the kind of individual who enjoyed lifting heavy things and would have really enjoyed seeing what the Reverend accomplished.

And how about Bill Peanuts West and George Frenn?  The lived somewhere south of the LA Basin and did some serious lifting in some outdoor 'garage' if I recall correctly.

There are so many others I'd like to mention but most GetBiggers snooze off when I say big words words or write too much. And some GetBiggers might put a hate'en on most of those I  mention.

I hate it when the hate'en hastens , especially when the haters don't even know nor have ever met the hate'en. ( I think Steven King wrote that  someplace!)

I hate that guy! He writes too dam slow!

Great talking to you BOB! Can you please explain your relationship with the Reverend and Rhino and also Slick and when and why Zuver's closed down and what's there now and yada, yada, yada? This might have been mentioned earlier but I might have skipped over it during my very own snoozing session.

Also ... when did Zuver's Costa mesa originally open and when did it close and what did it cost to train there, etc., etc.

I think that those who lift heavy things today might be somewhat interested in how things used to be in this heavy heavy lifting business and some of the greats who started it all!

I wasn't a "great" but I witnessed a hell of a lot of  it!

Thanks again, Bob!

And SLICK also!

Most of us like what you have to write most of the time, if people don't care for what someone writes they should just skim over that person's post and choke on a c-ock.
"

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #247 on: July 19, 2016, 04:11:25 PM »
hey Slik, I have been watching this Youtube series where Canadian Bodybuilder Ron Paltrow goes to different gyms around the world and they do tours with the owners etc, pretty cool series in my opinion. Would love to see you be able to do something with them.

here is the episode where they go to GetBig's own Tony Doherty's gym in Australia.

ill check it out. My dream is to make a cross country trip with my wife and the dogs in my old dodge a100 van hitting small gyms all the way through. We r a small gym right now but we r churning out the champs. I want to wait for the expansion to do any real cool interviews etc. I have so much rare top notch equipment in my pole building storage. And thanks all for the compliments.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #248 on: July 20, 2016, 05:59:41 PM »
https://instagram.com/p/BIGqcMojh53/
Thanks to awesome gym members who volunteered to take my tonight truck while I was at work. They drove in the local parade throwing out free passes and candy.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #249 on: February 07, 2017, 09:22:09 PM »
Brickyard Gym's own Tammy Tsai as Arnold Schwarzenegger's wife in the upcoming movie Aftermath.