Author Topic: My New Gym - Brickyard Gym  (Read 50172 times)

AVBG

Re: My New Gym...
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2013, 03:39:35 AM »
Looks awesome. Need more gyms like this. Good luck!

X2

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2013, 06:45:39 AM »
X2
thanks man. This chalk discussion has gotten out of control. I always describe those old Manion's gym day as the Wild West. U had to have guts just to walk in to that place. Legendary for sure. I've also spent the last 25 years training at Venice golds and I've visited and worked out in gyms all over the US and many in other countries. I spent my young life behind the counter in those gyms as well. If chalk made a gym good I would just open an empty space n throw chalk and a power cage in it. But obviously its not the chalk. Some gyms u just walk in to n they have that atmosphere. That aura. Manion's was like that. Venice was and IMO is still like that. I've seen the evolution of Venice and I know old timers bitch but I am am old timer n its till badass. In all those years I've seen about 5 percent of those people use chalk a d need it for lifts. I assumes many more could use n be benefit from it as no one can argue that dry hands and a higher friction coefficient just common snse says it will help. But if u are not for record weights and want to lift n increase size n strength there's also something to be said for overcoming sweaty hands on the bar. Its like more difficulty u have to deal with. U have to hold on tighter. Now keep in mind Zuvers was a powe lifting gym. I have little to no experience training in a predominantly power lifting gym so that skews this subject as I assume that Chalk to a powerlifter is like a glove to a baseball player. Having said that one shouldn't equate intensity or hard coreness or strength with just chalk, tvs wutever. I've said it before one of the strongest men I've ever witnessed and I've seen a lot is big mike ohearn strolling in to golds on a daily basis looking like a pretty boy putting up poundages in all his lifts that would astound anyone.  All this while the TVs r on in the background silent of course, no chalk, no belt on deads or squats. Its all relative guys. Bottom line is u pretty much get a sense of a place when u walk in.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
thanks man. This chalk discussion has gotten out of control. I always describe those old Manion's gym day as the Wild West. U had to have guts just to walk in to that place. Legendary for sure. I've also spent the last 25 years training at Venice golds and I've visited and worked out in gyms all over the US and many in other countries. I spent my young life behind the counter in those gyms as well. If chalk made a gym good I would just open an empty space n throw chalk and a power cage in it. But obviously its not the chalk. Some gyms u just walk in to n they have that atmosphere. That aura. Manion's was like that. Venice was and IMO is still like that. I've seen the evolution of Venice and I know old timers bitch but I am am old timer n its till badass. In all those years I've seen about 5 percent of those people use chalk a d need it for lifts. I assumes many more could use n be benefit from it as no one can argue that dry hands and a higher friction coefficient just common snse says it will help. But if u are not for record weights and want to lift n increase size n strength there's also something to be said for overcoming sweaty hands on the bar. Its like more difficulty u have to deal with. U have to hold on tighter. Now keep in mind Zuvers was a powe lifting gym. I have little to no experience training in a predominantly power lifting gym so that skews this subject as I assume that Chalk to a powerlifter is like a glove to a baseball player. Having said that one shouldn't equate intensity or hard coreness or strength with just chalk, tvs wutever. I've said it before one of the strongest men I've ever witnessed and I've seen a lot is big mike ohearn strolling in to golds on a daily basis looking like a pretty boy putting up poundages in all his lifts that would astound anyone.  All this while the TVs r on in the background silent of course, no chalk, no belt on deads or squats. Its all relative guys. Bottom line is u pretty much get a sense of a place when u walk in.
Meltdown.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: My New Gym - Brickyard Gym
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2013, 09:44:41 AM »
Makes my gym look like shit :'(

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »
Meltdown.
on the one hand u r wrong if by meltdown u think I'm emotionally distraught in some way. On the other I just wrote a whole fucking paragraph on chalk. Yup. Meltdown for sure!

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2013, 09:54:20 AM »
haha. It's been one hell of a ride. Since I own the current building I could take my time and me n my wife my nephew and a buddy did the buildout. But wut started as an idea pitched to my wife as opening something up on a budget eventually became quite expensive. Lets just say well over 100k.

:o

Hope it works out, gym looks great.  Much better looking than my gym, or most gyms for that matter.  I can't see someone checking it out and not signing up if your prices aren't outrageous.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2013, 09:56:35 AM »

This local guy has a gym and he's really increased his membership big time through facebook (not sure if that's your thing).  He somehow made liking his gym or being associated with it a cool thing (among twinks and girls that is). 

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2013, 09:59:17 AM »
this was hilarious ;D

yeah ,its not like we havent let ourself go out of shape too, the difference, we shut up, and came back with vengeance

i would be ashamed if i had to say things like "i used to be" good at this and that.

still in this shape in my 50s or dead.thats the spirit.

8)

@slik, you know were just having some fun here ;D

the guy jumped into nettle garden facefirst and thought it would be all good ;D
ok. Here's the deal. Bob is a good friend of mine. That's why I can't comment on how funny this shit is cuz I'm not sure if he knows its all in good fun. I mean the cross dressing comment almost made me fall out of my chair. If it were aimed at me I could tell u how hilarious n quick witted that was. But it was aimed at a friend so I hope he knows that its just get biggers voicing opposing views in a fun way. Bob really is one cool dude n he was right in the mix of the golden age and has seen some very cool things growing up as a kid in that gym. But yes things do evolve.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2013, 10:03:09 AM »
This local guy has a gym and he's really increased his membership big time through facebook (not sure if that's your thing).  He somehow made liking his gym or being associated with it a cool thing (among twinks and girls that is). 
yes. I have a Facebook account but limit my time on it. I put an announcement about the opening n that's how some new members saw it so thanks. Every little angle helps. I'm gonna have my wife, she's on the dam thing all the time when not on candy crush haha..I'm gonna have her make me a page for the gym on FB. Ill take a bunch of pix n put a link here

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2013, 10:39:13 AM »
ok. Here's the deal. Bob is a good friend of mine. That's why I can't comment on how funny this shit is cuz I'm not sure if he knows its all in good fun. I mean the cross dressing comment almost made me fall out of my chair. If it were aimed at me I could tell u how hilarious n quick witted that was. But it was aimed at a friend so I hope he knows that its just get biggers voicing opposing views in a fun way. Bob really is one cool dude n he was right in the mix of the golden age and has seen some very cool things growing up as a kid in that gym. But yes things do evolve.

Hey I can read.
I know it's all in good fun. That's the point.
It was fun watching those boys get pissed.  I'm sure there fine young guys. Sorry if I hurt there feelings.  Isn't jurking there chains what Getbig does best in this section?  Guess that's why I stay in the History Section so as not to piss off the kiddies.
So anyway,  SORRY GUYS.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2013, 11:43:03 AM »
OH NO
THAT'S NOT THE WORLD FAMIOUS GRIPSTER TELLING HIS GUYS TO USE CHALK IS IT.
THROUGH THE BUM OUT.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2013, 12:29:09 PM »
Hey I can read.
I know it's all in good fun. That's the point.
It was fun watching those boys get pissed.  I'm sure there fine young guys. Sorry if I hurt there feelings.  Isn't jurking there chains what Getbig does best in this section?  Guess that's why I stay in the History Section so as not to piss off the kiddies.
So anyway,  SORRY GUYS.

your the one crying a river sunshine.

btw 'bob' you find that pic of yourself yet that you can school me on the finer points of being a REAL bodybuilder?

nice to see your finally getting accustomed to how things work around here. also nice to see you realise that posting a pic would send you into an abyss of self ownage that could never be undone. kinda gives us all an idea actually of just how much of a REAL bodybuilder you are.

thanks for playing, bobby.
b

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2013, 12:37:29 PM »
this is gonna be good.

i seen recreational dart players with better physiques than that.

you know dart, where they throw little things to a wall

:D

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »
Gotta luv getbig!  After all this hard work it sure is good to belly laff!

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2013, 12:47:13 PM »
:D

The only thing little is your mind.

Why do you want to see a picture of me so bad?   You looking for a new Boyfriend?  Sounds like it.
Sorry Bobby don't play that way.
Keep talking you just show the real Getbiggers what a fool you are.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2013, 12:59:45 PM »
For what it's worth, the guy in the photo with the stache is Rich Sorin of Sorinex, the heavy equipment maker. He's got to be in his early 60's, so it's sort of unfair to judge his physique.

He's mainly a grip guy, so chalk is near and dear to him, and I doubt he's touched anabolics anytime in the recent past.

[ Invalid YouTube link ].

Just thought I'd mention it, since he'll probably never see the thread.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2013, 01:36:09 PM »
For what it's worth, the guy in the photo with the stache is Rich Sorin of Sorinex, the heavy equipment maker. He's got to be in his early 60's, so it's sort of unfair to judge his physique.

He's mainly a grip guy, so chalk is near and dear to him, and I doubt he's touched anabolics anytime in the recent past.

[ Invalid YouTube link ].

Just thought I'd mention it, since he'll probably never see the thread.

There you go.
Nice to see a real BBer who knows what he is talking about.
Richard is Legend in his field.

PS
I'm also in my 60s

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2013, 01:54:46 PM »
Just a few stills of Big Rich when he flew out to visit me at my home.
It's Called Respect.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »
The only thing little is your mind.

Why do you want to see a picture of me so bad?   You looking for a new Boyfriend?  Sounds like it.
Sorry Bobby don't play that way.
Keep talking you just show the real Getbiggers what a fool you are.

Calm down, Robert, don't draw your conclusions so quick. You have my respect as a person and for your innovative & creative gym.
But keep in mind, this is Getbig, not a lame Benny Hill show, so we appreciate a strong sense of humor.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »
Calm down, Robert, don't draw your conclusions so quick. You have my respect as a person and for your innovative & creative gym.
But keep in mind, this is Getbig, not a lame Benny Hill show, so we appreciate a strong sense of humor.

Got you but Respect comes before Humor.
And those boys have none.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2013, 02:22:37 PM »
But seriously, who gives a shit about what some old guy can pick up with his fingers? Seems a little outdated to me.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2013, 02:25:20 PM »
But seriously, who gives a shit about what some old guy can pick up with his fingers? Seems a little outdated to me.

Show some respect, fake king ;D

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2013, 02:36:42 PM »

I don't know, why do some celebrate oily men prancing around on stage for the enjoyment of mostly gay men? To each, his own :).

The demonstration of strength and human achievement, even if it is unimportant and esoteric in the grand sceme, is something worthy of a little praise.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2013, 02:38:12 PM »
I don't know, why do some celebrate oily men prancing around on stage for the enjoyment of mostly gay men? To each, his own :).

The demonstration of strength and human achievement, even if it is unimportant and esoteric in the grand sceme, is something worthy of a little praise.
Meltdown.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2013, 02:42:12 PM »