Author Topic: strange question...  (Read 3086 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
strange question...
« on: June 23, 2013, 03:06:14 PM »
Why are dogs able to eat raw chicken/beef/pork and rotting squirrels/chipmunks etc.. while humans can get sick from just eating something that's undercooked.

???

ukjeff

Re: strange question...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 03:06:49 PM »
Because people are not dogs.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
Because people are not dogs.

Except dj181

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 03:08:11 PM »
Used to ponder this as a young man watching my old lurcher eat other dogs shite

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 03:10:23 PM »
Used to ponder this as a young man watching my old lurcher eat other dogs shite

Wonder if eating the corn would really make you sick if the girl was pretty enough? ???

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 03:18:22 PM »

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
  Dogs and cats have strong stomachs   they can eat all kind of raw shit with out getting sick like us

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 04:39:38 PM »
Except dj181

A very sensitive one with thin bones

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 04:52:19 PM »
Why are dogs able to eat raw chicken/beef/pork and rotting squirrels/chipmunks etc.. while humans can get sick from just eating something that's undercooked.

???

Dogs are capable of getting sick from eating raw meat, as are humans. 

The reason we mostly cook our food (I say mostly, because for people eating sushi, it is mostly consumed while raw) is because of the fact that many of these creatures from the wild contain various forms of parasites and bacteria, which can be very harmful if consumed (most popular example: Salmonella). Thus, we cook our meat, which usually assures that these microorganisms are properly rendered to a benign form for consumption.

It is a common urban myth to assume that dogs do not die from eating various forms of raw meat. If the meat is rancid and infested with various forms of bacteria, that dog can become very sick and die shortly thereafter. If the meat is "clean" and free of bacteria and parasites, the dog can consume the meat just fine.

In theory and practice (as many people actually do this), humans can eat raw meat as well and be perfectly fine, so as long as it is free of both bad bacteria and parasites.

"1"

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »
The komodo dragon can eat rotting and decaying flesh that has been laying around for months and be perfectly fine.

X

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 05:15:39 PM »
The komodo dragon can eat rotting and decaying flesh that has been laying around for months and be perfectly fine.

Honey badger mentality..

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 05:33:23 PM »
I give mine raw beef in the form of ground or an occasional steak but never anything that's old or off.  If I wouldn't cook it and eat it then I won't give it to him raw.  Never had a problem so far.

Chicken he always gets cooked.  Didn't get to it on the weekend so will probably be roasting 2 or 3 chickens today.  It's convenient to pick 'em apart while warm and bag up the meat, so there's always the meat pile, the bones pile, and then the dog pile.  The guzzy bits.  He's crazy for the guzzy bits.

I also nuke a dollop of chicken stock to pour over his biscuts.  I tell myself it's good for him which is probably bullshit but he seems to like it.  The day stock stocks run out he registers a complaint.  "Hey.  These are just, like, dry with nothing on 'em!"

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »

yep, the bacteria in their mouth is fucking lethal.. and that's an understatement.. fearsome creatures.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 05:40:59 PM »
Honey badger mentality..

Thanks, DP!  ;D ;D
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »
yep, the bacteria in their mouth is fucking lethal.. and that's an understatement.. fearsome creatures.

Scientists believe that the way komodo dragons kill their prey is biting them, letting their toxins kill them over a period of time, then go and getting them for their meal :)
X

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 07:22:11 PM »

Scientists believe that the way komodo dragons kill their prey is biting them, letting their toxins kill them over a period of time, then go and getting them for their meal :)

They're probably still alive, just too fucked up to move.  Nature sucks.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »
I hate Komodo Dragons, I'd like to poke ones eyes out and roast it alive.  (no evil/no animal abuser)

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »

???

Dogs can get sick from eating something undercooked, while we can eat raw food. It's just that we choose not to.

If a piece of pork has a large amount of E.Coli, both a dog and human will get sick.

We could eat most food raw and be fine....it's just a chance we don't want to take.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 07:28:13 PM »
Dogs can get sick from eating something undercooked, while we can eat raw food. It's just that we choose not to.

If a piece of pork has a large amount of E.Coli, both a dog and human will get sick.

We could eat most food raw and be fine....it's just a chance we don't want to take.

I see what you're saying (and OMR), but I don't know if I believe it.  I've literally seen my dog eat shit (before I was able to stop him).  He was perfectly fine.  If I did that I'd probably die? ???

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »
I see what you're saying (and OMR), but I don't know if I believe it.  I've literally seen my dog eat shit (before I was able to stop him).  He was perfectly fine.  If I did that I'd probably die? ???

Nope. You'd probably be fine. However the psychological impact would affect you greatly.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »
Foods that can kill your pet!

Avocados
They contain a toxic component called persin, which can damage heart, lung and other tissue in many animals. This fruit is very toxic to dogs, cats and most animals.

Beer
Alcoholic beverages can cause the same damage to an animal's liver and brain as they cause in humans. But the effects can be deadly on animals since they are much smaller than us. The smaller the animal, the more deadly the effects can be. Even a small amount of alcohol may cause vomiting and damage the liver and brain.

Nuts
Walnuts and macadamia nuts are especially toxic
. Effects can be anything from vomiting to paralysis to death. Within 12 hours of eating the nuts, pets start to develop symptoms such as an inability to stand or walk, vomiting, hyperthermia (elevated body temperature), weakness, and an elevated heart rate. These symptoms can be even worse if your dog eats some chocolate with the nuts. The effect can cause kidney failure, often leading to death.

Chocolate
Chocolate contains theobromine, which can kill your pet if eaten in large quantities. Dark and unsweetened baking chocolates are especially dangerous. Giving your pup a piece of chocolate cake or even letting him lick the chocolate icing on the cake could cause him to become ill. Theobromine can also cause a dog or cat's heart to beat very rapidly or irregularly, which could result in death if the pet is exercising or overly active.

Candy
Candy or anything containing Xylitol (a common sweetener found in some diet products) can cause a sudden drop in an animal's blood sugar, loss of coordination and seizures. If left untreated, the animal could die.

Caffeine

Coffee, tea or any product that contains caffeine stimulates an animal's central nervous and cardiac systems. This can lead to restlessness, heart palpitations and death, depending on how much the animal consumes

Grapes and raisins
Grapes and raisins can lead to kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill them. And the effects are cumulative, which means that even if a dog eats just one or two grapes or raisins regularly, the toxin that builds in his system will eventually kill him.

Onions

Onions are another common food that can be highly toxic to pets. They can destroy an animal's red blood cells and lead to anemia, weakness and breathing difficulties. Their effects are also cumulative over time.

Medicine

Hide medicine from your pets just like you would from your children. The most common cause of pet poisoning is from animals ingesting a medicine or drug normally prescribed for humans.

And this is not just because furry pals are getting into their pet parent's medicine cabinets. In many cases, pet owners give their feline and canine friends an over-the-counter medication to ease an animal's pain. But acetaminophen and ibuprofen, the active ingredients in many common pain relievers, are extremely toxic to dogs and cats. They can cause gastric ulcers, liver damage, kidney failure and sometimes death.

http://www.today.com/id/24544541/ns/today-today_pets/t/people-foods-can-kill-your-pet/
:

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »
They're probably still alive, just too fucked up to move.  Nature sucks.

So they get eaten while they are alive? :(
X

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 10:49:10 PM »
Foods that can kill your pet!

Avocados
They contain a toxic component called persin, which can damage heart, lung and other tissue in many animals. This fruit is very toxic to dogs, cats and most animals.

Beer
Alcoholic beverages can cause the same damage to an animal's liver and brain as they cause in humans. But the effects can be deadly on animals since they are much smaller than us. The smaller the animal, the more deadly the effects can be. Even a small amount of alcohol may cause vomiting and damage the liver and brain.

Nuts
Walnuts and macadamia nuts are especially toxic
. Effects can be anything from vomiting to paralysis to death. Within 12 hours of eating the nuts, pets start to develop symptoms such as an inability to stand or walk, vomiting, hyperthermia (elevated body temperature), weakness, and an elevated heart rate. These symptoms can be even worse if your dog eats some chocolate with the nuts. The effect can cause kidney failure, often leading to death.

Chocolate
Chocolate contains theobromine, which can kill your pet if eaten in large quantities. Dark and unsweetened baking chocolates are especially dangerous. Giving your pup a piece of chocolate cake or even letting him lick the chocolate icing on the cake could cause him to become ill. Theobromine can also cause a dog or cat's heart to beat very rapidly or irregularly, which could result in death if the pet is exercising or overly active.

Candy
Candy or anything containing Xylitol (a common sweetener found in some diet products) can cause a sudden drop in an animal's blood sugar, loss of coordination and seizures. If left untreated, the animal could die.

Caffeine

Coffee, tea or any product that contains caffeine stimulates an animal's central nervous and cardiac systems. This can lead to restlessness, heart palpitations and death, depending on how much the animal consumes

Grapes and raisins
Grapes and raisins can lead to kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill them. And the effects are cumulative, which means that even if a dog eats just one or two grapes or raisins regularly, the toxin that builds in his system will eventually kill him.

Onions

Onions are another common food that can be highly toxic to pets. They can destroy an animal's red blood cells and lead to anemia, weakness and breathing difficulties. Their effects are also cumulative over time.

Medicine

Hide medicine from your pets just like you would from your children. The most common cause of pet poisoning is from animals ingesting a medicine or drug normally prescribed for humans.

And this is not just because furry pals are getting into their pet parent's medicine cabinets. In many cases, pet owners give their feline and canine friends an over-the-counter medication to ease an animal's pain. But acetaminophen and ibuprofen, the active ingredients in many common pain relievers, are extremely toxic to dogs and cats. They can cause gastric ulcers, liver damage, kidney failure and sometimes death.

http://www.today.com/id/24544541/ns/today-today_pets/t/people-foods-can-kill-your-pet/

Good post.

So they get eaten while they are alive? :(

These things happen.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 10:51:24 PM »
Good post.

These things happen.

I just dutch ovened myself.
X