Author Topic: MMA pay  (Read 2987 times)

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
MMA pay
« on: June 27, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
In January 2012, when ESPN took a look at fighter pay in the UFC, we didn’t speak with a fighter on the promotion’s roster at the time who was willing to be identified while discussing money and fighting in the Octagon.

I can tell you this: From a reporter’s perspective, it would have made a difference to the perception of the piece had a fighter gone on record, as Tim Kennedy did recently. Speaking to the GrappleTalk podcast, Kennedy claimed if he won and earned $70,000, he’d pocket around $20,000, before taxes. Kennedy broke down where his money went, to whom, and how much.

For anyone unfamiliar with the idea that fighters in the UFC are independent contractors who come out of pocket for training camps -- trainers, sparring partners, massage therapists (if you're lucky) all need to get paid -- the thought of $70,000 actually being $20,000 must seem crazy. And this is Kennedy's main point: You have to be nuts to do this, because the economics aren't favorable, even for quality fighters such as him.

In May, John Cholish and Jacob Volkmann separately voiced displeasure with the UFC pay scale after they were released from Zuffa. Should we take their words and label them disgruntled UFC washouts? Dana White did. Or should a trickling stream lead one to believe there's a larger pool of aggravation out there?

Based on what fighters told us under the condition of anonymity last year, and what they're beginning to air in public with names attached, it's safe to say the issue lingers.

It should be noted that not all the money talk is aimed negatively at the UFC. Chris Camozzi took his fellow UFC fighters to task for accepting lowball offers from sponsors.

"Fighters and managers want to talk about how unionizing the sport is what’s needed," Camozzi wrote on his blog in March. "Truth is they are just being lazy and want rules and third parties to set a baseline that they should be working to increase at every opportunity. What product has been commoditized faster than the UFC athlete sponsorship?

"Everyone [complains] about fighter pay, yet if it wasn’t for the pay from the promotion fighters would be broke. Yet the sponsors depend on us fans. The UFC built the popularity, built the platform and allows us to sell ourselves from the platform.

"We have a lot to be proud of, the UFC is a HUGE platform that exudes value. Just say no and watch the sponsors pay more. I did. I will take the first stand. I left money on the table, money I need. I did it for you, will you do it for me? Stop lowering the bar, these brands need to be in these events. They paid five to seven figures for PERMISSION to advertise on us, shouldn’t the ads be worth more? If permission is worth $15,000 per fighter than the actual ad is worth what?"

So is it a trend? I'm inclined to say it's too soon to know whether a trickle will become a flood. Nonetheless, it's clear more fighters are speaking openly about their money than they ever have before.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Re: MMA pay
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 02:44:01 PM »
Unless you're one of the top 10 guys in MMA, you're barely making a living.

I'd say GSP is probably the top earner at this point. Prior to him, it was probably Fedor.

che said it best when he once said that a lot of these guys (not all) fight to either pay bills, stay out of jail or for the 15 minutes of fame. Then there are the guys that truly love the sport and could care less about the money. The latter are the ones I enjoy watching the most, because they leave their heart and soul in that arena.

"1"

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 02:46:14 PM »
I can tell you this: From a reporter’s perspective, it would have made a difference to the perception of the piece had a fighter gone on record, as Tim Kennedy did recently. Speaking to the GrappleTalk podcast,

Kennedy claimed if he won and earned $70,000, he’d pocket around $20,000, before taxes. Kennedy broke down where his money went, to whom, and how much.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »
Unless you're one of the top 10 guys in MMA, you're barely making a living.

I'd say GSP is probably the top earner at this point. Prior to him, it was probably Fedor.

che said it best when he once said that a lot of these guys (not all) fight to either pay bills, stay out of jail or for the 15 minutes of fame. Then there are the guys that truly love the sport and could care less about the money. The latter are the ones I enjoy watching the most, because they leave their heart and soul in that arena.

"1"

Your forgot their teeth and a large number of brain cells.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:49:49 PM »
the UFC refuses to release numbers so who know if the fighters could be pay more

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 06:19:16 PM »
they are not paid enough for what they do and what they go through in preparation for fights.
At the end it is their choice to accept all the shit from Dana

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 06:25:51 PM »
  They make enough to pay the athletes better

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »
 ;D ;D

Unfortunately, I made statements that alluded to how the UFC in particular pays its athletes. This was particularly offensive as Zuffa has taken better care of me than any other organization, even giving me a bonus for being amusing on Twitter. My choice of words was poor, not properly informed, and did not match my intent. Additionally, my comments were taken out of context. - Tim Kennedy

https://www.facebook.com/TimKennedyMMA?hc_location=stream

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 06:39:58 PM »
  They scared him fast.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »
  They scared him fast.

You are correct!

Word on the street is that Dana threatened to pull him from the Gracie fight.

PM me for more details Arce..

"1"

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 06:55:34 PM »
You are correct!

Word on the street is that Dana threatened to pull him from the Gracie fight.

PM me for more details Arce..

"1"
Can I PM you too ;)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 06:58:23 PM »

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »
Boxing is still way better in terms of financial gain vs risk.

MMA is fascinating and amazing but the financial side is disgusting for anyone trying to become a pro.
all drugs - TPPIIP

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 07:53:34 PM »
They get paid what they deserve,  who the fuck is Tim Kennedy to be asking for more money  ???

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 11:21:15 PM »
Mirko Cro Cop pays:

Pride 2006 World Grand Prix $ 250000.00
K1 2013 World Grand Prix $ 800000.00

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 11:24:28 PM »
Wouldn't mind getting my ass handed to me if it means making over 100K in less than 25min.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 11:50:48 PM »
Wouldn't mind getting my ass handed to me if it means making over 100K in less than 25min.

To win 2013 K1 World title Cro Cop:
-2 qualifications fight $ ?
-4 fights in 1 night = $ 200 000 per 15 minutes + advertising ?
After Fedor probably 2nd wealthiest martial artist

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 12:07:18 AM »
  I bet Mirko got half of that      

Hunt and others like Sefo were claiming that they were owed money from K-1

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/content/news/15765-ray-sefo-on-crocop-being-owed-700k-by-k-1

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 12:20:33 AM »
FO: K-1 in your heyday was enormous, now its declined to the point they cant even get an event together...

I am very saddened by it. Obviously there was a lot of mismanagement of the company in so many ways, to the point where they ended up owing fighters, including myself, so much money. Like I’m still owed $700,000 US. And a lot of other fighters are similar. Its very sad; there’s been a lot of mismanagement in terms of what they have done.

Where the UFC is today in the States, they could have been here now but they didn’t know how to let Scott Coker use his intelligence and his understanding of the market, understanding what the Americans want and how to promote here in the States. That was the downfall of its marketing here. They became big worldwide but the market they wanted to break into was here in the States.

But they went about it the wrong way and as soon as things started falling apart… well, it didn’t help that Ishii went to jail for tax evasion but I think Tanigawa could have done a better job. Someone said it well - Tanigawa wasn’t there at the start so when it began to fall, he didn’t know how to rebuild it. He couldn’t sustain it and so eventually it collapsed.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 03:48:26 PM »
 I bet Mirko got half of that      

Hunt and others like Sefo were claiming that they were owed money from K-1

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/content/news/15765-ray-sefo-on-crocop-being-owed-700k-by-k-1

...if employer owns you lets say $ 100000.00 would you continue to work for them ???
...good fighter can be bad "businessman" ,boxing is very sad example
...in one of interviews Mirko stated : I traveled to Japan 42 times , how many souvenirs he sold  there ???

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »
UFC sells out big venues. They also have a big pay per view. Why then do top boxers make 20 million a fight when top UFC guy make chump change? The answer is easy. Since it's basically a monopoly with nothing but small organizations competing the UFC business men are keeping the money for them self. They could end this quick with a union.  Imagine all the top 15 MMA guys refuse to fight. The UFC would scramble to promote nobodies hoping no one would notice. 

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 04:35:30 PM »
UFC sells out big venues. They also have a big pay per view. Why then do top boxers make 20 million a fight when top UFC guy make chump change? The answer is easy. Since it's basically a monopoly with nothing but small organizations competing the UFC business men are keeping the money for them self. They could end this quick with a union.  Imagine all the top 15 MMA guys refuse to fight. The UFC would scramble to promote nobodies hoping no one would notice

Absolutely!

It is a nasty monopoly...

"1"

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 05:55:48 PM »
 :D ;D