Author Topic: Mayweather-Alvarez breaks records  (Read 3035 times)

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
Mayweather-Alvarez breaks records
« on: June 27, 2013, 06:58:48 PM »
Two months before Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez square off to unify their junior middleweight titles in the year's biggest fight, records are already falling.

The fight won't take place until Sept. 14 (Showtime PPV) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, but already it has broken the all-time live gate record for a boxing event after selling out on Wednesday, less than 24 hours after tickets went on sale.

Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com the fight will generate a minimum of $18,647,000 in ticket sales and "it could go up to a little shy of $19 million depending on the number of comps that are given out. It's going to be the record. The MGM is calculating and has to do the ticket settlement, but it will definitely be the record."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9430531/floyd-mayweather-jr-canelo-alvarez-title-fight-breaks-all-live-gate-record-boxing-event

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
Re: Mayweather-Alvarez breaks records
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »
  I hope FMJ wins   but I am worried about this ginger kid

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 07:00:13 PM »
Gonna be filled with Mexicans  ;D

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 07:02:44 PM »
 I hope FMJ wins   but I am worried about this ginger kid
Like I said its a good fight for Floyd bad fight for Canelo, he just isnt ready yet but since the Guerrero fight was a let down this fight was rushed

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 07:05:02 PM »
Floyd dodged a lot of good competition, Canelo is probably his best opponent since I can remember.

He's not old, small or an exposed fighter.

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »
Canelo is mostly a media-Golden Boy-creation.  He's improved as a fighter over the last few years but he isn't even the best in his weight class.  He lacks real power, his boxing I.Q. is decent for his age, but that's about it.

Floyd's defense is just too good for Canelo to repeatedly land to the body which it's gonna take for Alvarez to even have a shot at the upset.  Floyd's not getting caught w/ one punch either.  Canelo's not fast enough and not strong enough to capitalize on it even if he did connect.

Wide decision win for Mayweather.  The Atmosphere is going to be great though.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 07:43:35 PM »
Gonna be filled with wealthy Mexicans  ;D

FIXED

Tickets priced at $2,000, $1,500, $1,000, $600 and $350, not including applicable service charges and taxes

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »
Two months before Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez square off to unify their junior middleweight titles in the year's biggest fight, records are already falling.

The fight won't take place until Sept. 14 (Showtime PPV) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, but already it has broken the all-time live gate record for a boxing event after selling out on Wednesday, less than 24 hours after tickets went on sale.

Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com the fight will generate a minimum of $18,647,000 in ticket sales and "it could go up to a little shy of $19 million depending on the number of comps that are given out. It's going to be the record. The MGM is calculating and has to do the ticket settlement, but it will definitely be the record."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9430531/floyd-mayweather-jr-canelo-alvarez-title-fight-breaks-all-live-gate-record-boxing-event

They are lying but it's to be expected. 
a

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:51:52 PM »
Gonna be filled with Cartel Mexicans  ;D

FIXED

Tickets priced at $2,000, $1,500, $1,000, $600 and $350, not including applicable service charges and taxes

FIXED AGAIN

And where is the typical b e a n e r going to get the paper from?

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:54:17 PM »

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 10:43:58 PM »
This b e a n e r goes to all the fights and isn't part of a cartel.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 01:08:16 AM »
This b e a n e r goes to all the fights and isn't part of a cartel.

So how do you feel about FMW's Mexican Retirement tour?

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 01:42:28 AM »
Carl Froch vs Mikkell Kessler sold out in just over 10 minutes, with all 19,000 tickets selling out for the London 02 Arena.

Ricky Hatton vs Juan Lazcano did 40,000 tickets in 24hours and went on to ram almost 60,000 in on the night in Manchester.

So this a seriously bogus story for a venue which holds what, 16,000 of which there will be 3,000 high-rollers and VIP's with free tickets.

With regards the fight, it will be shit.

It will be Mayweather vs Carlos Baldomir all over again. Canelo has a decent set of skills and punch selection, but cant close the gap anywhere near fast enough and needs to plant-down himself before unloading anything remotely hurtful.

Floyd will use lateral movement, unload and then counter before getting on his bike and resetting again.

Floyd UD12 is absolutely nailed on. Because Canelo was conserving energy against Trout, and that was at 154lb whereas this stipulates a further 2lb off which will definitely be a horrible task for Canelo to take off, given he is already so tight at the weight limit.

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 01:57:40 AM »
So how do you feel about FMW's Mexican Retirement tour?

I'm a Mayweather fan so I'm cool with it.  

The thing is-there are so many Mexican fighters in this sport that any fighter is going to have to go through them to be considered the best.  It's always been that way(at least in the modern era) and it will continue to be that way.  The fact of the matter is-nobody is beating Floyd, be it black, brown, purple, or white.

Besides, it took a Mexican to give Floyd his only legitimate loss as a pro.

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 03:33:18 AM »
Canelo is mostly a media-Golden Boy-creation.  He's improved as a fighter over the last few years but he isn't even the best in his weight class.  He lacks real power, his boxing I.Q. is decent for his age, but that's about it.

Floyd's defense is just too good for Canelo to repeatedly land to the body which it's gonna take for Alvarez to even have a shot at the upset.  Floyd's not getting caught w/ one punch either.  Canelo's not fast enough and not strong enough to capitalize on it even if he did connect.

Wide decision win for Mayweather.  The Atmosphere is going to be great though.

I disagree on Canelo speed and strength. However I think Canelo severely lacks in the cardio/workload department. In last fight with trout, Canelo gave up entire rounds just so he can take a breather and showboat a bit. If you watch his recent 4 fights, his workpace is kinda low, his strength/speed carries him through.

all drugs - TPPIIP

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 04:42:59 AM »
Mayweather is just to fast. Alvarez will be chasing him the whole night. Mayweather will throw punches when he feels like it then go back to keeping away.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 04:56:12 AM »
Mayweather is just to fast. Alvarez will be chasing him the whole night. Mayweather will throw punches when he feels like it then go back to keeping away.

I agree, Canelo will be left feeling like many good fighters that lost against Floyd.......Knowing they could beat him up, if only they could lay hands on him.

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »
I disagree on Canelo speed and strength.

Really?  He demolished Josesito Lopez who is a natural lightweight/junior welterweight who fought for the first time at junior middle. Hardly a accomplishment.

He went the distance and won a bogus title by beating Hatton(not the good one either) who was a natural junior welter-again fighting for the first time at 154.

He went the distance w/ a old, old, version of Mosley who is a natural 147lbr.  He stopped head case Cintron and Gomez who are also natural 147 pounders.

The one time he fights a real junior middle as a belt holder in Trout he also goes the distance.  So, where's the power at?

His speed-average at best.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 02:46:22 PM »
He looks like a Irish kid, not a Mexican.
A

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 02:47:38 PM »
So much hype for a fight that's so far away  >:(

I could die between now and then  :(

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 07:20:25 PM »
Really?  He demolished Josesito Lopez who is a natural lightweight/junior welterweight who fought for the first time at junior middle. Hardly a accomplishment.

He went the distance and won a bogus title by beating Hatton(not the good one either) who was a natural junior welter-again fighting for the first time at 154.

He went the distance w/ a old, old, version of Mosley who is a natural 147lbr.  He stopped head case Cintron and Gomez who are also natural 147 pounders.

The one time he fights a real junior middle as a belt holder in Trout he also goes the distance.  So, where's the power at?

His speed-average at best.

Maybe watch the Trout fight again?!

Find it in 720p and 60fps and pay close attention.

PS: Don't bother listening to announcers, generally they are total trash.
all drugs - TPPIIP

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 07:26:43 PM »

chapo is the good badguy for mexico

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 07:29:42 PM »

It will be Mayweather vs Carlos Baldomir all over again.

::) canelo isnt a 180lb windmill

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »
Maybe watch the Trout fight again?!

Find it in 720p and 60fps and pay close attention.

PS: Don't bother listening to announcers, generally they are total trash.

I was at the fight.  The one time Canelo wobbled him was w/ a jab-which was more of a freak reaction by Trout than anything.  Hardly indicative of a display of power.  The announcers are partly responsible for this misnomer that Alvarez has one punch KO power to begin with.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 08:03:21 PM »
 The one time Canelo wobbled him was w/ a jab-which was more of a freak reaction by Trout than anything.  
anymore examples of these freak reactions