Author Topic: Any of you motor heads know about putting a diesel in a Bronco?  (Read 542 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Looking at having a cruiser built, and I'd like to do it with a 1979 ford bronco. It has an engine bay big enough, as they came with up to a 460, but I wasn't sure if anyone has done this. I'd like to use a non turbo 7.3 or a 6.9 if I had to. Any of you guys ever do anything like this?

Oh, building muscle makes you "diesel" (bodybuilding related)

diesel24v

• Getbig II
Re: Any of you motor heads know about putting a diesel in a Bronco?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:20:18 PM »
you would probably like a 12 valve cummins, a lot easier to find and more reliable. go to cumminsforum.com and ask there its a great site where I am almost everyday.   
I had a 720HP cummins diesel in my 2001 dodge and I just bought a 2011 dodge 2500 cummins.

Kilo Medic

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »
Quick search and I found two sites that should work.  Ford-trucks.com and fullsizebronco.com

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 01:22:23 PM »
you would probably like a 12 valve cummins, a lot easier to find and more reliable. go to cumminsforum.com and ask there its a great site where I am almost everyday.   
I had a 720HP cummins diesel in my 2001 dodge and I just bought a 2011 dodge 2500 cummins.

Thanks man, is that the 5.9 that was in the mid 90's models?  Also, I'm not saying its a weak motor because its not, but I want duals and glass packs, and on a six cylinder that sounds like a grain truck. I want loud clap/pop to the exhaust. It won't be a daily driver so noise pollution won't be a problem.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »
Thanks man, is that the 5.9 that was in the mid 90's models?  Also, I'm not saying its a weak motor because its not, but I want duals and glass packs, and on a six cylinder that sounds like a grain truck. I want loud clap/pop to the exhaust. It won't be a daily driver so noise pollution won't be a problem.

You can find plenty of 7.3l online...not sure of the fit, but I'd have to think there's room.  

Why do you want to go non-turbo?  The 7.3l powerstroke is pretty bulletproof.  The b50 is around 350,000 miles and you'll find plenty of engines around 1,000,000 miles that have zero problems other than blow by from all the miles (they'll keep chugging along like nothing's wrong though). You're not losing any reliability or adding any installation difficulty with the turbo but you're looking at a sub 200hp dog without one.  

No one will deny that Cummins is a great engine.  They last forever, are easy to work on and I love the sound...but everyone throws a cummins into their conversion.  It's like buying a corvette for your mid life crisis

Get any 1994.5-2003 7.3l powerstroke if you can find one and you'll have a pre-emissions engine with plenty of power that will last forever.  They sound great too...kind of a mix between a semi and a cammed V-8 gasser.

Don't get a 6.9 though.  If you want an old slow diesel, get a 7.3 IDI (different engine than the 7.3l powerstroke)...theyre gonna be gutless (especially without a turbo), but at least they sound good (and last forever).

I'd love to throw a DT466 into an old Bronco (Definitely not a simple drop in though). That's something that would be fun to drive and something you don't see every day.  
Y

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »
I know next to nothing about diesels..  But I know quite a bit about engine. That being said, I'd definitely go with a turbocharged engine, there is ZERO reason not to.