Author Topic: Report: Rick Perry Leaving Office to Run for President  (Read 4261 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Report: Rick Perry Leaving Office to Run for President
« on: July 09, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
He needs to just buy a ranch in Texas and retire. 

Report: Rick Perry Leaving Office to Run for President
Tuesday, 09 Jul 2013
By Lisa Barron

He's giving up the Texas governor's mansion next year, but Rick Perry has his sights set on the White House, according to Republicans who say he will run for president in 2016.

Citing unidentified Texas GOP sources, the National Journal reports that despite Perry's claim that he has made no decision, he privately is spreading the word that he "definitely" will enter the race.

The Journal also reports that Perry, the longest-serving governor in Texas history, won't run again out of concern that state Attorney General Greg Abbot could beat him in the 2014 gubernatorial primary, and that could diminish his standing nationally if he decides to run in 2016.

"Abbott won’t announce for a while, but he's been telling people he's running [for governor], and Perry couldn’t take the chance Abbott could beat him," one source told the Journal, adding: "Nobody becomes president who just lost his last race."

Perry, 63, has been governor since 2000, when he succeeded George W. Bush. On Monday, he announced he would not run again.

"The time has come to pass on the mantle of leadership. Today I am announcing I will not seek re-election as governor of Texas," he said during a speech in San Antonio.

"I'll also pray and reflect and work to determine my own future path. I make this announcement with a deep sense of humility and appreciation for the time and trust the people of this state has given me."

During his unsuccessful 2012 bid for president, Perry famously stumbled during a televised Florida primary debate when he forgot the name of the third federal agency he wanted to eliminate. He recovered from the moment with an "oops" and a laugh, but dropped out of the race ahead of the South Carolina primary.

According to the Journal, Perry does not believe his "oops" led to his poor showing in 2012 and chalks up his loss to entering the race too late.

His supporters say leaving the governorship behind will give him the necessary time to prepare a presidential campaign. But not everyone is convinced it was a good move.

"He's made a terrible miscalculation," one prominent Texas GOP official told the Journal. "He thinks he's gonna be able to raise money as a lame duck. He's given up his biggest card."

Editor's Note: Weird Trick Adds $1,000 to Your Social Security Checks

Political consultant Mike Leavitt, a former chief of staff at the Republican National Committee, said Perry would be a strong candidate but just one of many high-profile names.

"It's very clear that Republicans have a tremendous crop of potential candidates for 2016, and he will have to work very hard to communicate his message to Republican primary voters," he told USA Today.

"People like [Florida Sen. Marco] Rubio, [New Jersey Gov. Chris] Christie, [Texas Sen. Ted] Cruz and [Louisiana Gov. Bobby] Jindal appeal to a wide swath of voters that will be paying attention and participating in the 2016 primary.”

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/texas-governor-perry-president/2013/07/09/id/514061#ixzz2YagG6NKN

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Report: Rick Perry Leaving Office to Run for President
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
He needs to just buy a ranch in Texas and retire. 

I can think of 3 reasons why Perry shouldn't run for president.

1) Was overwhelmed in debates,

2) had a poor grasp of the issues, and

Oops.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 09:10:17 PM »
yea, Im glad to hear he is retiring from gov. in Texas...not glad to hear he may run for pres

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:20:59 PM »
Fuck... seriously? Perry? I hope the GOP has the sense to tell him to buzz off. If they don't, well... fuck the GOP. As long as they keep putting up candidates who couldn't pass an interview for a substitute assistant janitor, I simply won't vote for them.

Is a serious candidate really that much to ask for?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »
Fuck... seriously? Perry? I hope the GOP has the sense to tell him to buzz off. If they don't, well... fuck the GOP. As long as they keep putting up candidates who couldn't pass an interview for a substitute assistant janitor, I simply won't vote for them.

I'll play devils advocate here...

He looks like president.  He's had his 'step in shit moment'.  The party is ready for a TX Bush-like repub now... nobody since Bush has won the office, right?

Perry isn't a pu$$y... Whoever runs in 2016 had better be tough.  Christie is abusive, probably won't get up there.  Rubio is young and just too eager to please, a wimp.  Rand is nice, but hannity/levin will keep him out of the job.  Palin?  Pssh.  Tpaw and bachmann just too fringe.  People won't be stupid enough to believe trump for a 4th pretend run.  

In other words - WHO ELSE IS THERE?    If Hilary runs for a one-term, all-out clinton reunion tour, smart money is on her to win the election.   Jeb and other serious candidates might just sit out.  So why not Perry?   He has nothing to lose, he'll give speeches with the new profile it'll give him and make great money.  Politically, he's returing.  WHY NOT run?  He has nothing to lose.  The repubs?  well, he is a little inept and clueless on some issues, but he'll be surrounded with people telling him the answers and telling us how smart he is (lolzers).   So why not perry?  He makes sense for 2016 against hilary.  Looks like a president, acts like a Bush, and isn't a pu$$y.  Good enough!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:42:56 PM »
I'll play devils advocate here...

He looks like president.  He's had his 'step in shit moment'.  The party is ready for a TX Bush-like repub now... nobody since Bush has won the office, right?

Perry isn't a pu$$y... Whoever runs in 2016 had better be tough.  Christie is abusive, probably won't get up there.  Rubio is young and just too eager to please, a wimp.  Rand is nice, but hannity/levin will keep him out of the job.  Palin?  Pssh.  Tpaw and bachmann just too fringe.  People won't be stupid enough to believe trump for a 4th pretend run. 

In other words - WHO ELSE IS THERE?    If Hilary runs for a one-term, all-out clinton reunion tour, smart money is on her to win the election.   Jeb and other serious candidates might just sit out.  So why not Perry?   He has nothing to lose, he'll give speeches with the new profile it'll give him and make great money.  Politically, he's returing.  WHY NOT run?  He has nothing to lose.  The repubs?  well, he is a little inept and clueless on some issues, but he'll be surrounded with people telling him the answers and telling us how smart he is (lolzers).   So why not perry?  He makes sense for 2016 against hilary.  Looks like a president, acts like a Bush, and isn't a pu$$y.  Good enough!
the one thing I will say about perry is that he is not ashamed of his positions or beliefs.

That is something the GOP needs but not from a bumbling moron, someone who can articulate their position and beliefs would be nice.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:55:48 PM »
putting up candidates who couldn't pass an interview for a substitute assistant janitor, I simply won't vote for them.

;D

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 11:25:36 PM »

This.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 11:28:16 PM »
the one thing I will say about perry is that he is not ashamed of his positions or beliefs.

That is something the GOP needs but not from a bumbling moron, someone who can articulate their position and beliefs would be nice.

It's great to have someone who isn't ashamed of his positions or his beliefs, but only if those positions and beliefs are sensible and not embarrassing. And, unfortunately, many of Rick Perry's positions and beliefs are not sensible and plenty embarrassing.

That he's a bumbling moron doesn't help either. Although, I read on a newsite (don't remember off hand which and don't have an easy way of checking atm) that he's blaming his lackluster and buffoonish performance in the debates on his recovery from back surgery... yeah, you read that right.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 11:40:01 PM »
The next Governer of Texas = Attorney General Greg Abbot.

You heard it here first.

Would love to see Kinky Friedman run again though. :)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 11:50:58 PM »

Oops.

[/quo

Yeah, it really sucks what he's done for Texas. Unlike California, NY, and anyother state ran by a liberal governor or mayor. Who's states have been wildly successful.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 12:11:38 AM »
Yeah, it really sucks what he's done for Texas. Unlike California, NY, and anyother state ran by a liberal governor or mayor. Who's states have been wildly successful.

You seem to operate under the misconception that Governor Perry is, actually, Dictator Perry - a man singlehandledly wielding absolute and unchallenged authority; a man whose every word echoes with power and instantly becomes law; a man who is personally and directly responsible and deserving of credit about everything good that happens.

In other words, you see Perry the way North Koreans see their leaders.

The facts are simple: Perry is, at once, an idiot and an expert politician and surprisingly this isn't an oxymoron. He is a shitty mouthpiece who will say anything to get elected. His beliefs are simple: "I deserve to be elected in high office."

Not that I'm surprised that you'd support such a man.

(sidenote: one of these days you'll learn how to properly quote Coach. Don't give up.)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 03:10:48 AM »
i never said perry did a bad job as governor.

but I dont think any of us can name the last TX governor that didn't do well.  it's a rich rich state.  it's like being president of Saudi Arabia... they have a shitload of resources and major companies and the state tax thing.  It's an EXCELLENT state to run.  Oil in the hills and unlimited cheap labor.  Winning combination :) 

Perry did a very good job as governor, and would be a solid president, just as everyone else at that level would do.  Their support team would make sure of that, showing them what they need to know.  But there are probably 47 or 48 states that don't have the wealth/value of texas.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 10:12:30 AM »
i never said perry did a bad job as governor.

but I dont think any of us can name the last TX governor that didn't do well.  it's a rich rich state.  it's like being president of Saudi Arabia... they have a shitload of resources and major companies and the state tax thing.  It's an EXCELLENT state to run.  Oil in the hills and unlimited cheap labor.  Winning combination :) 

Perry did a very good job as governor, and would be a solid president, just as everyone else at that level would do.  Their support team would make sure of that, showing them what they need to know.  But there are probably 47 or 48 states that don't have the wealth/value of texas.

You have a point. Rubio's likely toast, due this selling out on amnesty. Jeb Bush.....same deal, notwithstanding his tenure as Florida governor was pretty good in my view.

As stated in another thread, you have to get the social and fiscal conservatives on the same page; or the the former (and some of the latter) will stay home; ask Mitt Romney about that.

The independents will take care of themselves; they broke big against Obama in 2012. If the economics don't change, that will remain the case for whoever gets the Dems' 2016 nod.

The last GOP president that got a major chunk of the Latino vote was.....a governor from Texas. Perry needs to work out the kinks, no question about it. But being pro-life and pro-traditional marriage definitely helps his cause. Remember Romney got smoked in the GOP primaries in 2008 before winning in 2012. Who's to say that Perry can't do the same from 2012 to 2016?

Plus, Perry can hit the heartland states, particuarly those big on fossil fuels. Let Obama continue with his "war on coal" and those states may loathe whoever the Dems put up in 2016.

It won't be an easy run, to be sure. But, I wouldn't sell Perry short, especially with a conservative base that has all but HAD IT with flaky sellout RINOs/establishment Republicans.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 10:42:39 AM »
yep.  Why NOT Perry?   Seems to have as much as a chance as anyone else.

The fact he's not a wussy means he'll top 80% of those republicans.  Everyone loves rubio, but seriously, he's a child next to hilary.  Perry is not.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 11:16:26 AM »
yep.  Why NOT Perry?   Seems to have as much as a chance as anyone else.

The fact he's not a wussy means he'll top 80% of those republicans.  Everyone loves rubio, but seriously, he's a child next to hilary.  Perry is not.

Everyone loves Rubio? Apparently, you ain't been listening to talk radio. All that left for him is to shoot a drugged-up, thieving, school-suspended black teenager who punched him in the nose; and he'll be a "creepy @$$ cracker".  ;D

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 01:19:24 PM »
Perry is a Karl Rove puppet. If he enters the race, its to prevent a visionary like Cruz or Rand Paul from winning the nomination. Christie is already the anointed Rino favorite anyway.

For the record, I despise Rick Perry and think he's a complete moron.

He couldn't distinguish himself from the last GOP freakshow. This time around some real heavyweights will toss their hat's into the ring. He has no chance. 

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »
I've said this before, republicans you have a shot at my vote next time, don't nominate Perry or anyone like him.   If I have to choose between Hilary and someone like Perry, I'm staying home.
A

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 01:46:10 PM »
I've said this before, republicans you have a shot at my vote next time, don't nominate Perry or anyone like him.   If I have to choose between Hilary and someone like Perry, I'm staying home.

NOT ME! I'll take Perry all day over Clinton. We KNOW what'll happen is she gets in the White House: A continuation of Obama foolishness.

Perry is a Karl Rove puppet. If he enters the race, its to prevent a visionary like Cruz or Rand Paul from winning the nomination. Christie is already the anointed Rino favorite anyway.

For the record, I despise Rick Perry and think he's a complete moron.

He couldn't distinguish himself from the last GOP freakshow. This time around some real heavyweights will toss their hat's into the ring. He has no chance. 

I'd go with Ted Cruz too. The farther to the right, the better. This RINO crap must end NOW or the GOP really is doomed. When Bush got re-elected, the Dems didn't moderate; they went hard-left. You don't beat hard-left with moderates. You see the blue-dog Democrats have been laid to rest. It's time for the RINOs to join them.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »
Perry actually having a chance?  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »
I wouldn't underestimate Perry. It usually takes a candidate at least one failed run for the GOP nomination before they get it right (Bush II is the most recent exception). However, looking at the electoral college map I don't see a realistic road map to victory for Perry. In fact, it's probably going to take a really exceptional GOP candidate to pull it off. I'm not sure that candidate is Perry. All the demographic factors that work against a GOP presidential candidate only grow more pronounced with every passing year.

BTW, there is a pretty entertaining e-book on Amazon by Jay Root (I think that's his name) about Perry's last presidential candidacy if anyone is interested.

Clinton, Bush 2 and Obama are all first time candidates.  The last president who ran a losing campaign before eventually becoming President was Bush 1.  Bush 1 ran against Reagan in the 79 primaries. 
A

agenda21nwo

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »

Perry has been seriously considered by the Bilderberg Group, having attended their meetings at least once.

They do not want a serious president (but your standards), they want a subservient president who will do what they command.

Also after the atrocity that is Barack Hussein Obama, they know America wants someone who APPEARS all American.  So he is the perfect weapon for them, in that he can dupe America for another 8 years and continue their agenda.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 10:23:51 PM »

Oops.

Yes, and the fact Texas is financially succeeding where other starts ran by liberals are failing miserably.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 04:44:09 AM »
Yes, and the fact Texas is financially succeeding where other starts ran by liberals are failing miserably.

Perry's a solid candidate.  I've never shit on his perforamnce.  But TX is one rich ass state with a wealth of cheap labor.  I don't think we'll ever see TX going bankrupt like Cali.  Arnold could probably keep TX in the black haha.

But if you read my OTHER post, coach, you'll see I support Perry running.

He looks like president.  He's had his 'step in shit moment'.  The party is ready for a TX Bush-like repub now... nobody since Bush has won the office, right?

Perry isn't a pu$$y... Whoever runs in 2016 had better be tough.  Christie is abusive, probably won't get up there.  Rubio is young and just too eager to please, a wimp.  Rand is nice, but hannity/levin will keep him out of the job.  Palin?  Pssh.  Tpaw and bachmann just too fringe.  People won't be stupid enough to believe trump for a 4th pretend run. 

In other words - WHO ELSE IS THERE?    If Hilary runs for a one-term, all-out clinton reunion tour, smart money is on her to win the election.   Jeb and other serious candidates might just sit out.  So why not Perry?   He has nothing to lose, he'll give speeches with the new profile it'll give him and make great money.  Politically, he's returing.  WHY NOT run?  He has nothing to lose.  The repubs?  well, he is a little inept and clueless on some issues, but he'll be surrounded with people telling him the answers and telling us how smart he is (lolzers).   So why not perry?  He makes sense for 2016 against hilary.  Looks like a president, acts like a Bush, and isn't a pu$$y.  Good enough!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 05:53:24 AM »
I wouldn't underestimate Perry. It usually takes a candidate at least one failed run for the GOP nomination before they get it right (Bush II is the most recent exception). However, looking at the electoral college map I don't see a realistic road map to victory for Perry. In fact, it's probably going to take a really exceptional GOP candidate to pull it off. I'm not sure that candidate is Perry. All the demographic factors that work against a GOP presidential candidate only grow more pronounced with every passing year.

BTW, there is a pretty entertaining e-book on Amazon by Jay Root (I think that's his name) about Perry's last presidential candidacy if anyone is interested.

The demographics are overplayed. Again at least three-quarters of the populus is white That number increases when you throw in the "White Hispanics" (what Zimmerman supposedly is).

The challenge will be the usually red states that flipped blue under Obama. Virginia is more blue, not because of Hispanics, but due to white libs constantly migrating from DC and Maryland (after screwing up those areas).

This is a growing pattern. Lefties take over a state, completely tear it apart with higher taxes and regulations. When they get kicked in the fiscal nuts, they bolt to a red state and start the process all over again.